A review of the 2017 Continental, chosen just because they have what appear to be decent images of the car

Suaviloquent

I agree with Drew, and also agree that at one time Acura had much nicer interiors.  Imho Acura really has sadly lost their way.  There is some good DNA in the brand, but what they produce now does not cut it.

Glad Drew feels the same way I do about Acura SUV's. Simply unacceptable.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
12 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I agree with Drew, and also agree that at one time Acura had much nicer interiors.  Imho Acura really has sadly lost their way.  There is some good DNA in the brand, but what they produce now does not cut it.

Glad Drew feels the same way I do about Acura SUV's. Simply unacceptable.

you earlier stated that Lincoln lags Acura in luxury.

I am confused. You are all over the map.

8 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Check out the current RLX and new MDX in person then. The pictures may seem fine, but really examine the materials and build quality.... You'll see what I'm talking about.

I have.

AND I AGREE WITH YOU! At the same time, it aint that bad...

If you have ever given a pass to a Corvette C6 (price on the Vette is more in tune with Acura prices than Chevy and Zeta Camaro (Its platform mate 4 door sedan in China was a luxurious Buick Park Ave...surpassing in image any Aura) interior a pass, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY EXPECT you give these Acuras a pass....

Acura HAS stumbled...but not to the point where GM and the 1st gen CTS was...Acura hasnt blown away the  competition like it had done in the 1990s. They just let everybody else  catch up to their standards...

Ill repeat.

Its not so much about Acura going cheap as much as it is that GM and FoMoCo FINALLY have CAUGHT UP and SURPASSED Acura's OWN STANDARDS!!!  (From the 1990s)

Acura hasnt improved upon what they and Lexus has done. That distinction would go to Audi...

We must not let ANY BIASES escape rational thoughts...fair is fair and we must carry the same standards for everybody when judging and discussing.

If its good for the goose it MUST be good for the gander...

If its inexcusable for Acura...the last 5-7 years....what....we just forget how abysmal GM and FoMoCo were for the last 30 years?

To boot, Acura's interiors the last 5-7 years really are not that bad...

Its ironic as I said the SAME BLOODY THING DEFENDING GM (Cadillac) over at MT when BMW fanboys were dissing Cadillac.

Fanboyism is such a horrible thing....and yeah Im implying that it exists here too...

Edited by oldshurst442

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

you earlier stated that Lincoln lags Acura in luxury.

I am confused. You are all over the map.

Let me clarify-

I think they lag in terms of brand perception and I would choose a TLX over an MKZ as a personal car because i find I like the driving dynamics better.  Acura I honestly feel is much more perceived as a luxury brand than Lincoln. Perception and image are important for a luxury brand.

I am writing in this thread not to be hostile but to clarify my own thinking about Luxury brands.

I do honestly like the SUV's of Lincoln better than the SUV's of Acura, although I do find the Navigator somewhat dated-something Ford is working on and going to improve on.

While we may disagree on the subjective value of vehicle styling I do find the SUV lineup (minus the Navigator) wears the Lincoln design language much more successfully than the passenger cars, including the Conti.  I also have a much lower expectation for sporty or intuitive driving dynamics with a luxury SUV vs a luxury passenger car.

If I were to tell the marketing director of Lincoln what to improve, i would tell them that they needed to work on brand perception because this is where they lag behind Acura.

Were I to talk to an Acura exec, I would tell them they need to work on the interiors in terms of both material quality and design.

Thinking about this, I do think Lincoln does a better job than Acura with dashboard design ergonomics and the overall interface between the actual vehicle and driver. Go sit in an Acura and check out the center stack. methinks you will see what I mean.

And a huge thanks to everyone participating in this thread, you are all helping me think through how I perceive luxury cars.

Sorry if I am as clear as mud at some points!

Edited by A Horse With No Name

35 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I have.

AND I AGREE WITH YOU! At the same time, it aint that bad...

If you have ever given a pass to a Corvette C6 (price on the Vette is more in tune with Acura prices than Chevy and Zeta Camaro (Its platform mate 4 door sedan in China was a luxurious Buick Park Ave...surpassing in image any Aura) interior a pass, I WHOLEHEARTEDLY EXPECT you give these Acuras a pass....

Acura HAS stumbled...but not to the point where GM and the 1st gen CTS was...Acura hasnt blown away the  competition like it had done in the 1990s. They just let everybody else  catch up to their standards...

Ill repeat.

Its not so much about Acura going cheap as much as it is that GM and FoMoCo FINALLY have CAUGHT UP and SURPASSED Acura's OWN STANDARDS!!!  (From the 1990s)

Acura hasnt improved upon what they and Lexus has done. That distinction would go to Audi...

We must not let ANY BIASES escape rational thoughts...fair is fair and we must carry the same standards for everybody when judging and discussing.

If its good for the goose it MUST be good for the gander...

If its inexcusable for Acura...the last 5-7 years....what....we just forget how abysmal GM and FoMoCo were for the last 30 years?

To boot, Acura's interiors the last 5-7 years really are not that bad...

Its ironic as I said the SAME BLOODY THING DEFENDING GM (Cadillac) over at MT when BMW fanboys were dissing Cadillac.

Fanboyism is such a horrible thing....and yeah Im implying that it exists here too...

Several things are worthy of note.  To me part of Luxury is that you want a car that has gone the extra mile and "made it" in life because you have in a significant way "made it" in life.

Acura has failed in my mind to push the envelope and essentially "be the best that it can be."  Thus in essence it has gotten to the point where it is too comfortable with its position in the luxury car market and is, as I have said before, riding on its reputation.

Perhaps not expressed well here in my various responses. Maybe we need another whole other  thread talking about what really does define luxury in an automobile.

Fanboisim is a terrible thing, and I am perhaps being too harsh on all of the Luxury car makers, but I really honestly feel everyone has some serious work to do.

Acura really is that bad in my mind, I will have to disagree with you here. My 2015 Jetta SE TDI is pretty much as nice or nicer inside than an Acura.

I cannot say that about Cadillac, Lincoln, Infinity, Lexus, Audi, BMW, or Benz.

1st gen CTS, that was then, this is now. A Few years ago I would have gladly bought an Acura TSX over a 1st gen CTS...not any more.

Not forgetting at all how dismal both Ford and GM were. I have been a sometimes sane and rational, sometimes not terribly sane or rational critic of both of them here for almost a decade.

And part of the image problem I am talking about with Lincoln is the long period of time where they had the same not very interesting variations on the Town Car as their top vehicle.  People I think very clearly remember those years, which is why I said Lincoln needs to work on Image.

17 hours ago, Intrepidation said:

The best thing about the car is the front seats.

The best thing about the car is that Lincoln, with all of its issues, is acting like an aspirational car maker again.  I may not like certain subjective elements of the vehicle, but this does show that they want to get back to the top of the heap.

56 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Several things are worthy of note.  To me part of Luxury is that you want a car that has gone the extra mile and "made it" in life because you have in a significant way "made it" in life.

Acura has failed in my mind to push the envelope and essentially "be the best that it can be."  Thus in essence it has gotten to the point where it is too comfortable with its position in the luxury car market and is, as I have said before, riding on its reputation.

Perhaps not expressed well here in my various responses. Maybe we need another whole other  thread talking about what really does define luxury in an automobile.

Fanboisim is a terrible thing, and I am perhaps being too harsh on all of the Luxury car makers, but I really honestly feel everyone has some serious work to do.

Acura really is that bad in my mind, I will have to disagree with you here. My 2015 Jetta SE TDI is pretty much as nice or nicer inside than an Acura.

I cannot say that about Cadillac, Lincoln, Infinity, Lexus, Audi, BMW, or Benz.

1st gen CTS, that was then, this is now. A Few years ago I would have gladly bought an Acura TSX over a 1st gen CTS...not any more.

Not forgetting at all how dismal both Ford and GM were. I have been a sometimes sane and rational, sometimes not terribly sane or rational critic of both of them here for almost a decade.

And part of the image problem I am talking about with Lincoln is the long period of time where they had the same not very interesting variations on the Town Car as their top vehicle.  People I think very clearly remember those years, which is why I said Lincoln needs to work on Image.

In bold...that is what Im also saying...about Acura.

About the CTS...actually, Cadillac also has image problems and the CTS aint selling whatits supposed to be selling. And the ATS too.

Lincoln's Continental aint up for sale yet and we are pretending that its the best damned thing in the world.

Buick does indeed have nicer better quality interiors than Acura, but Buick just started this procedure. As with Lincoln, we are all pretending that Buick is soooo much better than Acura?  We are pretending that Lincoln is soooo much better than Acura? Buick too has not overcome their image problems fully...the Avenir trim package will surley cure that very quickly! But the Avenir package is at minimum, 2 full years away...

Acura, might be riding its own coat tails of 20 years ago...but even as far as 8 years ago, Acura was far far far above Cadillac, Buick and Lincoln in perception by the buying public...

No...we must not forget the not so distant past. The buying public sure has not!

The NSX, if its interior is what Acura's were known for, will QUICKLY make people forget its current woes...its just that Acura's next fleet of new vehicles BETTER be on that high standard level...If Acura could match Buick's current interior levels, Acura has got it made!!!

Lincoln has got a longer much more tougher road to convince people that Lincoln is back! The "magical" Continental is NOT THAT answer. Its but a stepping stone on the road to recovery!

Listen...Buick, Lincoln and Acuras.

All three have strengths and have their issues. Each brand's strengths and weaknesses are different than the other and opposite of each others.

What Buick lacks, Acura and Lincoln has.

What Acura lacks, Buick and Lincoln has.

What Lincoln lacks, Buick and Acura has.

To me, all that is on an EQUAL playing field.

Not one brand is superior or inferior to the other.

I see it that way because I don't let my feelings and biases pull me one way or the other!

Edited by oldshurst442

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

In bold...that is what Im also saying...about Acura.

About the CTS...actually, Cadillac also has image problems and the CTS aint selling whatits supposed to be selling. And the ATS too.

Lincoln's Continental aint up for sale yet and we are pretending that its the best damned thing in the world.

Buick does indeed have nicer better quality interiors than Acura, but Buick just started this procedure. AQs with Lincoln, we are all pretending that Buick is soooo much better than Buick? Buick too has not overcome their image problems fully...the Avenir trim package will surley cure that very quickly! But the Avenir package is at minimum, 2 full years away...

Acura, might be riding its own coat tails of 20 years ago...but even as far as 8 years ago, Acura was far far far above Cadillac, Buick and Lincoln in perception by the buying public...

No...we must not forget the not so distant past. The buying public sure has not!

The NSX, if its interior is what Acura's were known for, will QUICKLY make people forget its current woes...its just that Acura's next fleet of new vehicles BETTER be on that high standard level...If Acura could match Buick's current interior levels, Acura has got it made!!!

Listen...Buick, Lincoln and Acuras.

All three have strengths and have their issues. Each brand's strengths and weaknesses are different than the other and opposite of each others.

What Buick lacks, Acura and Lincoln has.

What Acura lacks, Buick and Lincoln has.

What Lincoln lacks, Buick and Acura has.

To me, all that is on an EQUAL playing field.

Not one brand is superior or inferior to the other.

I see it that way because I don't let my feelings and biases pull me one way or the other!

I like your idea that each of the brands needs to learn from the other one. I would like you to be more specific in what you think Buick lacks that Lincoln and Acura do. Acura is certainly seen as a more upscale brand, but Buick was never really intended to be a Luxury car.

I could honestly see someone looking at a Buick cross shopping say a really well equipped Subaru legacy.  Someone cross shopping an Acura would probably look at Audi and BMW.

Agree that if Acura could meet the interior levels of Buick, that it would help them greatly.

Buick does a better job with chassis tuning than Lincoln I think.  Regal is a nice driving car.

However, I think i would splice in the DNA of what BMW was from about 1985 to about 2003 or so for all three.  It would help them greatly.

The Fusion is a really fantastic design IMHO, if Lincoln could pick up some of the lightness and athleticism that make the Fusion great, that would go a long way towards helping their passenger cars from a styling standpoint.

1 minute ago, oldshurst442 said:

I will definitely tell you I see things at the Buick camp and Lincoln camp and Acura camp at around 6:00 or 7:oo PM tonight. Im at work so I cant do this now. Later my good buddy Mr. Horse!

Looking forward to it, got to get some things done myself!

I think we'll see the Avenir packages in just a few months.

You're barking up the wrong tree trying to diss the first gen CTS to me.  I leased a 2004 for 4 years and it was flawless for me.  I get that stylistically it doesn't appeal to most people.  What it lacked in interior against the TL, it more than made up for in handling and driving prowess. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.

That said... I'm less interested in what Acura did back then and more interested in what they're doing now.  Each year I get to drive these cars back to back to compare them and Acura is slipping. The new MDX doesn't beat the current Enclave except in techie stuff like entertainment systems and active lane control, much less beat whatever Buick is coming up with next. Even up against and Acadia Denali, I'd put the Acura just barely close, but I'd take an equivalently priced Jeep Grand Cherokee over either of them easily. (Base price of MDX FWD $44k, Base price of Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 $44k, Loaded MDX AWD $58k, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi $58k)

On my RLX test car, the plastics and assembly were a full 2 generations behind if it where a Honda. It was absolutely the worst built luxury car interior in memory.  I've railed on the Lincoln MKS for its terrible interior materials, but at least they all remained in place. The last really great RL ended in 2004.

18 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think we'll see the Avenir packages in just a few months.

You're barking up the wrong tree trying to diss the first gen CTS to me.  I leased a 2004 for 4 years and it was flawless for me.  I get that stylistically it doesn't appeal to most people.  What it lacked in interior against the TL, it more than made up for in handling and driving prowess. I have a lot of fond memories of that car.

That said... I'm less interested in what Acura did back then and more interested in what they're doing now.  Each year I get to drive these cars back to back to compare them and Acura is slipping. The new MDX doesn't beat the current Enclave except in techie stuff like entertainment systems and active lane control, much less beat whatever Buick is coming up with next. Even up against and Acadia Denali, I'd put the Acura just barely close, but I'd take an equivalently priced Jeep Grand Cherokee over either of them easily. (Base price of MDX FWD $44k, Base price of Grand Cherokee Overland 4x2 $44k, Loaded MDX AWD $58k, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 Hemi $58k)

On my RLX test car, the plastics and assembly were a full 2 generations behind if it where a Honda. It was absolutely the worst built luxury car interior in memory.  I've railed on the Lincoln MKS for its terrible interior materials, but at least they all remained in place. The last really great RL ended in 2004.

I really like the jeep grand Cherokee. Acadia Denali and the JGC both have a MUCH better sense of exterior style and identity than the Acura SUV lineup.

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

MEmVNHw.jpg

A bit of stupid Acura humor to lighten up the thread....we now take you back to dashboard plastics.

Racer fan boy meets F1 racing dream and builds crapola fiberglass nightmare!

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Let me clarify-

I think they lag in terms of brand perception and I would choose a TLX over an MKZ as a personal car because i find I like the driving dynamics better.  Acura I honestly feel is much more perceived as a luxury brand than Lincoln. Perception and image are important for a luxury brand.

I am writing in this thread not to be hostile but to clarify my own thinking about Luxury brands.

I do honestly like the SUV's of Lincoln better than the SUV's of Acura, although I do find the Navigator somewhat dated-something Ford is working on and going to improve on.

While we may disagree on the subjective value of vehicle styling I do find the SUV lineup (minus the Navigator) wears the Lincoln design language much more successfully than the passenger cars, including the Conti.  I also have a much lower expectation for sporty or intuitive driving dynamics with a luxury SUV vs a luxury passenger car.

If I were to tell the marketing director of Lincoln what to improve, i would tell them that they needed to work on brand perception because this is where they lag behind Acura.

Were I to talk to an Acura exec, I would tell them they need to work on the interiors in terms of both material quality and design.

Thinking about this, I do think Lincoln does a better job than Acura with dashboard design ergonomics and the overall interface between the actual vehicle and driver. Go sit in an Acura and check out the center stack. methinks you will see what I mean.

And a huge thanks to everyone participating in this thread, you are all helping me think through how I perceive luxury cars.

Sorry if I am as clear as mud at some points!

Thanks for clarifying.

I pretty much completely disagree, but I will choose not detail or contest the reasons, as I would rather avoid the typical back lash.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

My ½ hour Continental Black Label and MKZ Black Label test drives.  This was a Lincoln event at Ford HQ, allowing employees to experience the best from Lincoln.  32 vehicles combined, all Black Label trim variations.  We were allowed 35 minutes in each vehicle, with pics of the vehicles I drove below.

My first drive was the Continental 3.0T AWD. 

I needed about 15 min after entering to familiarize myself with all the tech and functionality, and that was hardly enough.  Most people will probably need to be coached or attend training or something.  Cars today are like top end phones and apps, where we barely use half of their features, just so we feel we get our money’s worth.  So yeah, the seat was comfortable enough.  I probably would need more time to dial it in.  Perfectly.  Screen size and Sync3 were great. It was a cool morning so the heated seat, steering wheel and massage were pretty awesome. You are pampered, no doubt.  So I am now officially loving the console drive engagement buttons, where I struggled to let go of bulky shifters for a while.  Hit D and off I went.  I wasted no time testing full acceleration from a stop sign in the lot.  I thought I had a FWD model for second, because the tire(s) complained a bit.  So plenty of power.  I would have preferred a softer ride in normal mode, with more firmness in S mode.  If variable dampening allows this, then spread the difference a bit more. Steering felt very nice at all speeds. 

My 2nd drive was the MKZ 3.0T AWD.

I really liked this car, both in size and the sportier feel in the cabin.  Power feels a bit snappier. Same with steering. Ride feels a bit firmer than Conti, and again, not enough differentiation in S mode.  I am really liking the console shifting.  Forgot to mention the stereo in the Conti, which was just awesome, and very nice in Z too.  The Z does not fit me though.  It comes down to seats for me. I have a broad back, and it just does not fit.  My Fusion is actually better.  This is often a problem for me in bolstered seats like Recaro offers, where I sit with my spine twisted, one shoulder fore or aft of the other to compensate.  I am not a big guy, under 6’ and 185lbs, but just my general shape is out of the target norms.

So just a few thoughts on my experiences as I sip my coffee.  I have to say to that new apps today are cool.  You can literally set up a service pickup from anywhere to have it retrieved, oil change, whatever.  Love the parking app that allows you to reserve parking spots ahead of time. Way cool. Hate parking down town.  So I think Lincoln brand has really come a long way. Can’t wait to see how far they go.

Conti1.jpg

Conti2.jpg

Conti3.jpg

MKZ1.jpg

mkz2.jpg

Edited by Wings4Life

28 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Thanks for clarifying.

I pretty much completely disagree, but I will choose not detail or contest the reasons, as I would rather avoid the typical back lash.

Oh no, please do.  If you can provide marketing information or brand perception information that is part of an actual third party marketing survey, I am open to changing my mind if that is presented.

I by no means am the final arbiter of what makes a Luxury car.

12 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

My ½ hour Continental Black Label and MKZ Black Label test drives.  This was a Lincoln event at Ford HQ, allowing employees to experience the best from Lincoln.  32 vehicles combined, all Black Label trim variations.  We were allowed 35 minutes in each vehicle, with pics of the vehicles I drove below.

My first drive was the Continental 3.0T AWD. 

I needed about 15 min after entering to familiarize myself with all the tech and functionality, and that was hardly enough.  Most people will probably need to be coached or attend training or something.  Cars today are like top end phones and apps, where we barely use half of their features, just so we feel we get our money’s worth.  So yeah, the seat was comfortable enough.  I probably would need more time to dial it in.  Perfectly.  Screen size and Sync3 were great. It was a cool morning so the heated seat, steering wheel and massage were pretty awesome. You are pampered, no doubt.  So I am now officially loving the console drive engagement buttons, where I struggled to let go of bulky shifters for a while.  Hit D and off I went.  I wasted no time testing full acceleration from a stop sign in the lot.  I thought I had a FWD model for second, because the tire(s) complained a bit.  So plenty of power.  I would have preferred a softer ride in normal mode, with more firmness in S mode.  If variable dampening allows this, then spread the difference a bit more. Steering felt very nice at all speeds. 

My 2nd drive was the MKZ 3.0T AWD.

I really liked this car, both in size and the sportier feel in the cabin.  Power feels a bit snappier. Same with steering. Ride feels a bit firmer than Conti, and again, not enough differentiation in S mode.  I am really liking the console shifting.  Forgot to mention the stereo in the Conti, which was just awesome, and very nice in Z too.  The Z does not fit me though.  It comes down to seats for me. I have a broad back, and it just does not fit.  My Fusion is actually better.  This is often a problem for me in bolstered seats like Recaro offers, where I sit with my spine twisted, one shoulder fore or aft of the other to compensate.  I am not a big guy, under 6’ and 185lbs, but just my general shape is out of the target norms.

So just a few thoughts on my experiences as I sip my coffee.  I have to say to that new apps today are cool.  You can literally set up a service pickup from anywhere to have it retrieved, oil change, whatever.  Love the parking app that allows you to reserve parking spots ahead of time. Way cool. Hate parking down town.  So I think Lincoln brand has really come a long way. Can’t wait to see how far they go.

Conti1.jpg

Conti2.jpg

Conti3.jpg

MKZ1.jpg

mkz2.jpg

Cool, thanks for sharing. Look at the center stack and compare it to the Acura center stack. you will see what I meant when i said that I found the Lincoln more user friendly.

What do you do at Ford?

35 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Racer fan boy meets F1 racing dream and builds crapola fiberglass nightmare!

Sadly that Started as an NSX I think.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
29 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Oh no, please do.  If you can provide marketing information or brand perception information that is part of an actual third party marketing survey, I am open to changing my mind if that is presented.

I by no means am the final arbiter of what makes a Luxury car.

Cool, thanks for sharing. Look at the center stack and compare it to the Acura center stack. you will see what I meant when i said that I found the Lincoln more user friendly.

What do you do at Ford?

Horse,

Contrary to what some might say, I have no issue with anyone having a negative opinion on Lincoln or do I care to change anyone’s opinion. My counter opinions or POV’s are just that, more opinions. We are not debating the exact laws of physics here, so everything is subjective, and nobody’s opinion on what defines luxury should be the final word.  Certainly not mine either. 

And my position at Ford is a Custodial Engineer.  (Old forum joke, for those that recall)

I havent forgotten or ignored  this thread.

I came home  later than I expected and I helped my daughter study for her exam tomorrow.

As of now, Ill be watching hockey that Im recording on my DVR. The Boston Bruins play the Panthers. Sure the Habs are also playing, but Im a Bruins fan...

Oh and Drew.

I own a 2012 TL...

I also know what its like living with an Acura product...

Are you barking up the wrong tree?

Maybe. But a difference of opinion is a good way to have discussions...

But you too, may have to ease back and listen to what others are saying...besides, we are not that far off each others point of view in this thread...

• Agree 1

Would be interested in your thoughts on the Acura as an owner.

And good luck to your daughter...I have one daughter in high school and two in College.  I know all about the exam thing.

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I havent forgotten or ignored  this thread.

I came home  later than I expected and I helped my daughter study for her exam tomorrow.

As of now, Ill be watching hockey that Im recording on my DVR. The Boston Bruins play the Panthers. Sure the Habs are also playing, but Im a Bruins fan...

Oh and Drew.

I own a 2012 TL...

I also know what its like living with an Acura product...

Are you barking up the wrong tree?

Maybe. But a difference of opinion is a good way to have discussions...

But you too, may have to ease back and listen to what others are saying...besides, we are not that far off each others point of view in this thread...

No, I don't think I am. That gen TL is one of their better products. The current TLX is probably the best of all the consumer Acuras currently.

I know I'm being a little picky but the interior in general on the Conti does look very very good but the infotainment screen just seems small for the car and price it reaches up to. I think it should be an inch or even two larger and be a little more prominent in the center stack. Touching a smaller screen like that(which really isn't small but looks similar in size to my Escape's) can be work to correctly touch buttons while driving. 

9 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

No, I don't think I am. That gen TL is one of their better products. The current TLX is probably the best of all the consumer Acuras currently.

I would agree with this.  While there are a lot of things I do not like about the TLX, I would consider one to replace the Jetta.

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I know I'm being a little picky but the interior in general on the Conti does look very very good but the infotainment screen just seems small for the car and price it reaches up to. I think it should be an inch or even two larger and be a little more prominent in the center stack. Touching a smaller screen like that(which really isn't small but looks similar in size to my Escape's) can be work to correctly touch buttons while driving. 

Perhaps, i really don't have any troubles with a touch screen that size.

As I said earlier, the controls and layout of the center stack I thought was a strong point of this car.

2 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I would agree with this.  While there are a lot of things I do not like about the TLX, I would consider one to replace the Jetta.

Perhaps, i really don't have any troubles with a touch screen that size.

As I said earlier, the controls and layout of the center stack I thought was a strong point of this car.

I like the controls and layout of the center stack it is just the screen size on a car that can cost up to $80,000 seems smaller than it could/should be, IMO.

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I like the controls and layout of the center stack it is just the screen size on a car that can cost up to $80,000 seems smaller than it could/should be, IMO.

I think this will probably be addressed with the first refresh of the car.

Yeah... I just wanted the Conti to drop a bomb on the world with a world class car from top to bottom and nail the "quiet luxury" theme they're going for. It is by no means disappointing but that's something that I think should have been addressed for Black Label trim that you're paying a pretty good premium for.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah... I just wanted the Conti to drop a bomb on the world with a world class car from top to bottom and nail the "quiet luxury" theme they're going for. It is by no means disappointing but that's something that I think should have been addressed for Black Label trim that you're paying a pretty good premium for.

Agree completely here.

Black label should have had at least a 10 or 12 inch screen but also they should have had a default Black Chrome option too.

I think folks in marketing got lost in the Bling of regular chrome every where for the baby boomer crowd and forgot about the bigger growing market of the X Y Z groups.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Eh... screen size can become too large. The 8.1s in the Chryslers are probably the absolute largest I would go and even then they can be irritatingly bright at night.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh... screen size can become too large. The 8.1s in the Chryslers are probably the absolute largest I would go and even then they can be irritatingly bright at night.

The other issue to me is one of visual proportion-a larger screen would look a bit out of place in the Conti IMHO.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well in an $80,000 car I would hope it would automatically dim in low light situations. I mean our phones know to do that.. can't cost much to add that feature.

Just now, ccap41 said:

Well in an $80,000 car I would hope it would automatically dim in low light situations. I mean our phones know to do that.. can't cost much to add that feature.

The Chryslers do dim automatically. It's still a lot of extra light in the cabin at night.

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Black label should have had at least a 10 or 12 inch screen but also they should have had a default Black Chrome option too.

Think of the target demographics and the real issues Lincoln marketing people face.  Rather than be worried about black chrome, methinks they need to work on raising the bar with company image. Nobody benchmarks themselves against Lincoln, not  even Buick.

Google Luxury car comparison or recommended Luxury cars and Lincoln is for the most part all but invisible.

Most Luxury car buyers will not over analyze the small details of the car the way we do.  It is actually probably harder to get a car guy trained as a salesman on a sales floor because they are passionate enough about cars that they get lost in the details and over analyze things.

People buy cars based on image and features, not details like black chrome.

Not that it wouldn't look fantastic!

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

The eighty thousand dollar part is scary...at that price their are a lot of options. This car makes a lot more sense at the bottom of its price range, not the top.

11 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The eighty thousand dollar part is scary...at that price their are a lot of options. This car makes a lot more sense at the bottom of its price range, not the top.

YES, Very much so.

I mean at 80k why would you even consider this next to an S Class for 20k more. I realize that is A LOT of money more but if you're buying a 80k luxury car you can afford to buy a 100k luxury car. It isn't the kind of car you finance 80% of it for 84 months. 96,600 for a S550e which gives you 436hp and hybrid efficiency. And if not the S Class there's a 7 Series that starts at 81,500, A8 starts at 82,500. Option them both up 8-9k and you're talking about an A8 and 7 Series for 10k more than a Continental.. That is easily doable for this clientele.

Edited by ccap41

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

YES, Very much so.

This is why my thinking is just the opposite of yours on the Conti. Rather than a giant bomb that drops on everyone in the market I think that it is better that it is an evolutionary step forward.

Look at the BRZ/Toyota 86/FRS. Fantastic car, and we are lucky to have it. But there was so much hype surrounding it, no car on the planet could match the hype.  When it didn't match the hype and people were disappointed, sales tanked.

The Conti is too critical for the future of Lincoln for that to happen.  And even if I do not like particular elements of this car, Ford Motor Company builds a whole host of fantastic vehicles.  The selfish future car buyer in  me wants them to be around and thriving for a long effing time to come.

In other words, it should hopefully be a car like the Challenger, one that gains sales year in and year out five years after it is introduced...

9 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

Registered and looked at the car, that is a MUCH more flattering photograph of the Conti.

Noticed that it seemed to have outsold the Audi flagship, Fantastic start and my congrats to Ford!

These also seem to be conquest sales, as the passenger car total for Lincoln is up almost the exact amount of Conti sales.

• Agree 1

"All of the cabin’s touch points are high-quality; Lincoln has created its own switchgear for the Continental (and eventually the rest of the Lincoln line) with knurled-metal control knobs on the steering wheel and A/C system, and unique turn-signal stalks."

" The Continental’s interior—at least on these two higher trims—is like nothing seen on a modern-era Lincoln currently on a showroom floor."

MT Continental Review

I think THIS is one thing that Lincoln needs. You can't be jumping in a 10k premium Lincoln and see bits and pieces from Fords. Hopefully this will help distinguish Lincoln from Ford and they can march on and take strides into the true luxury market.

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"All of the cabin’s touch points are high-quality; Lincoln has created its own switchgear for the Continental (and eventually the rest of the Lincoln line) with knurled-metal control knobs on the steering wheel and A/C system, and unique turn-signal stalks."

" The Continental’s interior—at least on these two higher trims—is like nothing seen on a modern-era Lincoln currently on a showroom floor."

MT Continental Review

I think THIS is one thing that Lincoln needs. You can't be jumping in a 10k premium Lincoln and see bits and pieces from Fords. Hopefully this will help distinguish Lincoln from Ford and they can march on and take strides into the true luxury market.

Indeed.  I may have to find some way to finagle a test drive of the Conti when more of them are in circulation. It is beyond my budget, but will be interesting to spend time with the car in the flesh (or steel as it were.)

As more features become common on mass market cars, Luxury car makers are going to be pressed to distinguish themselves for market share.  Sounds like that "Investment" that wings was talking about elsewhere on C and G might be paying off for them....

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Strange when a larger screen equate to more luxury for some.

The Conti screen is the perfect size, IMO. Easy to use, for clear with large icons.  And now the sync updates work excellent.

Lincoln can’t please everyone, no matter how ridiculous their expectations can be.

16 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

The Conti screen is the perfect size, IMO. Easy to use, for clear with large icons.  And now the sync updates work excellent.

Lincoln can’t please everyone, no matter how ridiculous their expectations can be.

True, not everyone can be pleased, but for those in the high tech crowd, screen size is important and considered luxury. Tesla has set this trend and auto's with screens that are smaller than 10" really are considered dated. I listen to the peeps around me here in seattle and they bash the heck out of auto's with small screens all the time.

• Agree 1

Your MB has one long large screen

2014-s-class-dash.jpg

Volvo V90 had dual large screens

2016-Volvo-V90-DualScreen.jpg

Tesla of course has dual large screens

Tesla Model S DualScreens.jpg

So why not have large easy to read screens. I do not find them bright or a distraction like others but I do think it gives you a better way to customize the info you want to see and still access basic auto functions / features.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Agree, especially as I like the proportions of the center stack in the Conti.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

Tesla uses what looks like an Ipad for their instrumentation.  That’s pretty much it. 

Looks horrible to me, lacks any style at all, and as others mentioned, can be too bright at night, even when dimmed so far that you can no longer see icons.

Lincoln selected wisely, IMO.

40 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Your MB has one long large screen

2014-s-class-dash.jpg

Volvo V90 had dual large screens

2016-Volvo-V90-DualScreen.jpg

Tesla of course has dual large screens

Tesla Model S DualScreens.jpg

So why not have large easy to read screens. I do not find them bright or a distraction like others but I do think it gives you a better way to customize the info you want to see and still access basic auto functions / features.

Definitely, I'm not suggesting that they should have put a screen the size of the Model S's in there but a larger screen with larger icons(buttons) is definitely more luxurious when it makes it easier to navigate though. The screen in the Conti is most likely the same screen size(and likey the same exact screen) that is in my Escape. It's not small but I would want more in a car that can tip the scales with the 7 Series, A8, CT6, and Jag XJ. Looking at those three the Jag's looks the same size and those other 3 are all larger. But if I'm not wrong, the XJ is the oldest of them.

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

BTW, Lincoln has already learned their lesson, that a radical departure from their traditional controls (lack of knobs and controls) has not been appreciated by a large percentage of their demographic.  Looking at the Volvo screen, I see a similar size, rotated 90deg.  Which btw, is not better.  I like the way Lincoln has their home screen laid out, horizontal.  It comes down to preference perhaps, but looking at the Volvo center stack, I see they made the same mistake Lincoln recently corrected.

And the very long screen in the Benz look awkward, especially because it does away with the center stack, and looks more like a Buick, spanning wide across the top.  Some like that. Not me.

Again, I think Lincoln choose wisely.