Mercedez Benz News Mercedes-Benz Reveals Four New Engines, Two Are Inline-Sixes

Mercedes has unveiled four new engines this week that feature some clever technologies and will be appearing in models beginning next year.

The big news is the return of the inline-six layout. Mercedes introduced two engines with this layout, a gas and a diesel. The gas engine is the more intriguing of the two as it will feature a 48-volt electric system. It will power an electric turbocharger and integrated starter-alternator (ISG). Mercedes says the ISG will provide some hybrid functionality such as providing boost when the vehicle leaves a stop and recovery energy. The engine is rated at 408 horsepower and 369 pound-feet of torque. Mercedes claims this engine emits 15 percent less CO2 emission than the current V6.

The inline-six diesel does without the additional electrics, but it features a stepped-bowl combustion process, two-stage exhaust turbocharging, and a first for a Mercedes' diesel, variable valve timing. Horsepower is rated at 313, but no torque rating is given. Mercedes says it uses seven percent less diesel.

Next up is a new biturbo V8. Displacing 4.0L, the V8 is rated at 476 horsepower and 516 pound-feet of torque. The V8 features a cylinder deactivation system that can shut off four cylinders to improve fuel economy by 10 percent. This engine will also be one of the first Mercedes models to feature a particulate filter - something commonly used with diesel engines.

Finally, there is a new twin-turbo four-cylinder. This engine gets a set of twin-scroll turbochargers and a 48-volt belt-driven starter-alternator (BSA). BSA improves the engine's overall efficiency by recovering up to 12.5kW of power and minimizing turbo-lag up to 2,500 rpm. No power figures we're given on this engine.

The new biturbo V8 will debut in the 2017, but we don't if the other engines will make it to the U.S. at this time.

Source: Mercedes-Benz
Press Release is on Page 2

Extensive strategic engine initiative from Mercedes-Benz: More powerful, more economical and cleaner

Stuttgart/Sindelfingen. The biggest strategic engine initiative in the history of Mercedes-Benz will enter its decisive phase in 2017. Following the launch of the new four-cylinder diesel engine in spring 2016, next year will see the addition of no fewer than four more members to the all-new family of engines: six-cylinder in-line engines in both diesel and petrol versions, a new four-cylinder petrol engine and a new biturbo V8. At the same time, there will be world premieres for ground-breaking technologies, such as the Integrated Starter-Alternator (ISG), the 48 V electrical system and the electric auxiliary compressor (eZV). These new technologies are tuned to the vehicles on state-of-the-art test rigs at the equally new Powertrain Integration Centre (AIZ) in Sindelfingen.

"More powerful, more economical and cleaner - the new modular family of engines from Mercedes-Benz offers the right powertrain for every vehicle," says Prof. Dr Thomas Weber, 62, Member of the Daimler Board of Management with responsibility for Group Research at Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz Cars Development. "The systematic optimisation of our high-tech engines plays a crucial role in the road map towards sustainable mobility. They also need to be designed with a view to all current and future requirements. A key success factor in this regard is the extensive electrification of the powertrain."

Systematic electrification: new six-cylinder in-line petrol engine M 256

The new six-cylinder in-line petrol engine M 256 represents an outstanding example of electrification, including a 48 V electrical system. New, intelligent turbocharging, e.g. with an electric auxiliary compressor (eZV), as well as an Integrated Starter-Alternator (ISG) provide the guarantee of excellent drivability with no turbo lag. The ISG is responsible for hybrid functions, such as boost or energy recovery, while allowing fuel savings that were previously reserved for high-voltage hybrid technology. The bottom line is that the new six-cylinder in-line engine offers the same performance as an eight-cylinder machine while being much more fuel-efficient. The new petrol engine (internal code: M 256) launches next year in the new S-Class.

Systematic electrification dispenses with the need for a belt drive for ancillary components at the front of the engine, which reduces its overall length. The narrow construction, together with the physical separation of intake/exhaust, creates space for near-engine exhaust aftertreatment. The 48 V electrical system serves not only high power consumers, such as the water pump and air-conditioning compressor, but also the Integrated Starter-Alternator (ISG), which also supplies energy to the battery by means of highly efficient energy recovery.

An additional bonus is the unsurpassed refinement of the six-cylinder in-line engine. Output and torque are similar to the current eight-cylinder engine, i.e. over 300 kW (408 hp) and more than 500 Nm. In comparison with the previous V6, the CO2 emissions from the engine have been reduced by around 15 percent.

At 500 cc, the new machine has the same displacement per cylinder as the premium diesel engine family unveiled last year as well as the family of four-cylinder petrol engines.

Most powerful passenger-car diesel engine in the history of Mercedes-Benz: six-cylinder OM 656

The new top-of-the-line engine in the premium diesel family is likewise a six-cylinder in-line machine. The characteristics of the OM 656 include the stepped-bowl combustion process, two-stage exhaust turbocharging and, for the first time, the use of CAMTRONIC variable valve timing. Its design features a combination of aluminium engine block and steel pistons as well as further-improved NANOSLIDE® coating of the cylinder walls. Although there is a significant increase in output compared with the previous OM 642 (over 230 kW/313 hp instead of 190 kW/258 hp), the new engine consumes more than seven percent less fuel.

Like the already unveiled four-cylinder OM654, the new six-cylinder diesel engine OM 656 is likewise designed to comply with future emissions legislation (RDE – Real Driving Emissions). All the components of relevance for efficient emissions reduction are installed directly on the engine. The integrated technology approach of new stepped-bowl combustion process, dynamic multi-way exhaust gas recirculation and near-engine exhaust aftertreatment, combined for the first time with variable valve timing, opens the way for further reductions in consumption together with extremely low emissions. Thanks to the near-engine insulated configuration, exhaust aftertreatment has a low heat loss and extremely favourable operating conditions. This is reinforced by the CAMTRONIC switchable exhaust camshaft, which supports the consumption-neutral heating of the exhaust system.

Number of cylinders to suit the requirements: new V8 biturbo petrol engine M 176

Dynamic power delivery combined with high efficiency: the new biturbo (internal code: M 176) is one of the most economical V8 petrol engines in the world. Its special features include cylinder shutoff at part load as well as the positioning of the turbochargers in the V between the cylinder banks. From its 3982 cc displacement, the new V8 biturbo produces over 350 kW (476 hp) with a maximum torque of around 700 Nm from 2000 rpm. The new engine will consume over 10 percent less fuel than its predecessor, which is rated at 335 kW (455 hp). The new V8 will launch with this technology next year in the new S-Class.

For lower fuel consumption, when operated at part load the new M 176 shuts off four cylinders simultaneously by means of CAMTRONIC valve timing. This reduces the pumping losses while improving the overall efficiency of the remaining four cylinders by shifting the operating point towards higher loads.

Sporty specific output: new four-cylinder petrol engine M 264

A two-litre four-cylinder engine with a specific output of around 100 kW: the new Toptype petrol engine from Mercedes-Benz (internal code: M 264) advances into output regions previously reserved for high-displacement six-cylinder machines. At the same time, it consumes significantly less fuel than a comparable six-cylinder engine. The engine's special features include twin-scroll turbochargers, belt-driven 48 V starter-alternator (BSA) and electric 48 V water pump.

The BSA is also responsible for fuel-saving hybrid functions:

• Easy start: virtually imperceptible starting and acceleration of the engine
  • Boost in the engine-speed range up to 2500 rpm
  • Energy recovery up to 12.5 kW
  • Shifting of the load point: allows operation in a more favourable area of the engine map
  • Coasting with engine off.

In the interests of high power output and a spontaneous engine response, Mercedes-Benz has opted for twin-scroll turbocharging. Unlike conventional systems, a twin-scroll turbocharger merges the exhaust gas ducts of cylinder pairs in the flow-optimised manifold. This turbocharging concept with systematic cylinder flow separation produces high torque in the low-rpm range together with high specific output. Further efficiency measures include intake CAMTRONIC and a friction loss reduction package.

Even cleaner: particulate filter for petrol engines as standard

Mercedes-Benz is the first manufacturer to opt for the large-scale use of particulate filters for petrol engines to further improve their environmental compatibility. After more than two years of positive experience in the field with the S 500, in 2017 further S-Class variants will be equipped with the new M 256 and M 176 petrol engines with this technology. The filter will then be gradually introduced in other new vehicle models, facelifted models and new engine generations, such as the M 264.

The particulate filter for petrol engines reduces the emissions of fine soot particles. How it works: the exhaust-gas stream is supplied to a particulate filter system. The filter has a honeycomb structure with alternately sealed inlet and outlet channels. This forces the exhaust gas to flow through a porous filter wall, which traps the soot. The filter can be continuously regenerated under corresponding driving conditions.

View full article

14 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Without the alternator or drive belts that inline 6 shouldn't take up too much space, seems like an awesome engine.  I think Lexus has introduced 2 engines in the past 10 years, Mercedes does 4 at one time.

Mercedes is doing a lot of impressive work.

Edited by A Horse With No Name

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm holding out hope for an inline 8; smooth as molten glass.
I mean, since we're going back to the 1950s here...

20 minutes ago, balthazar said:

I'm holding out hope for an inline 8; smooth as molten glass.
I mean, since we're going back to the 1950s here...

Would love to go back to the fifties in many ways. Actually more interested in tried cars than I ever have been.

Inline six is as smooth as it gets.  This is going to be S600 levels of engine refinement, and you'll be able to get it in a GLE or E-class or base model S-class.  And this is about a 10% bump in fuel economy over the current engines, with more power.

6 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Inline six is as smooth as it gets.  This is going to be S600 levels of engine refinement, and you'll be able to get it in a GLE or E-class or base model S-class.  And this is about a 10% bump in fuel economy over the current engines, with more power.

Excellent. One reason that they are at the top of the luxury car game.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, dfelt said:

With all the electric motors MB is also doing, they have gone back to their early 1900's roots of smooth ultra quiet cars.

With all of the impressive quality control Fiat Chrysler is putting into Fiats, they are also returning to their heritage as Iron Oxide in the ground.

(sorry, could not resist)

• Agree 2

50 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Rotary is smoother than that....until the apex seals blow.....

Plus do not forget that while being a interesting technology, they are torqueless!

Why would anyone want an S class with a TT4 banger. Ya got to be crazy to spend 6 figures on a car with such an engine! :P

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Plus do not forget that while being a interesting technology, they are torqueless!

Why would anyone want an S class with a TT4 banger. Ya got to be crazy to spend 6 figures on a car with such an engine! :P

I think I kno what U did there.. 

All aside.. this is awesome sounding.. The V8 sounds like a stab at fuel economy via smaller displacement. A necessity. The TT4 is what has my interest. The 2.0L Turbo they use in the ugly ass CLA AMG already puts out 375HP/350 ftlb. This has to up the ante. Cadillac is toiling around with 268hp/ 295lbs.. while BMW and Audi are lower as well.

41 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I think I kno what U did there.. 

All aside.. this is awesome sounding.. The V8 sounds like a stab at fuel economy via smaller displacement. A necessity. The TT4 is what has my interest. The 2.0L Turbo they use in the ugly ass CLA AMG already puts out 375HP/350 ftlb. This has to up the ante. Cadillac is toiling around with 268hp/ 295lbs.. while BMW and Audi are lower as well.

Audi is a top tier car maker but they seem to em to be too complacent with their power trains. But then I am not a luxury car buyer, you are...

Still I think Audi could stand to bring more of their A game from time to time. .

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

I don't think that TT4 will see the light of day in the S-class, not even in China, unless it is combined with en electric motor as a hybrid.  That twin turbo 4 is to replace the 241 hp turbo 4 in the C-class, GLC, E-class and GLE and be the workhorse of the mainstream cars.  The inline 6 will replace the V6s, which saves on manufacturing costs since it shares a lot of parts with the inline 4.

They already have the 4.0 V8 with the AMG cars in various stages of tune, but they need to move away from the 4.7 and 5.5 liter V8s due to fuel economy, displacement tax etc.

The Exciting thing is an inline six S-class would still have over 400 hp and probably start at like $88,000 not $96,000, that's good value.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

Well, dropping s-class sales and the at-times insane incentives off the sticker no doubt will drive daimler to instill lower price points to try & bolster sales.

S-class was up 26% last month and outsold 7-series, A8, Panamera and Lexus LS combined.  I'd like to see the Camry outsell the Accord, Fusion, Malibu and Altima combined or F150 to outsell Silverado, Sierra, Tundra and Titan combined.  That is how dominant the S-class is.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

S-class was up 26% last month and outsold 7-series, A8, Panamera and Lexus LS combined.  I'd like to see the Camry outsell the Accord, Fusion, Malibu and Altima combined or F150 to outsell Silverado, Sierra, Tundra and Titan combined.  That is how dominant the S-class is.

Cadillac builds some fantastic cars, but Benz is at the top of the Luxury car heap and will be there probably forever.

The Conti is a glorified Mercury by comparison.

15 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Newsflash, resident Rosey Glasses! S-class is DOWN 12% YTD. It's not about how many they sell vs. competitors, it's completely about pleasing the German overlord accountants. Watch the actual transaction prices too, if the slide continues; deals may be had like the end of the prior generation when they'd slash an average of $13 grand off sticker. 
The current generation wasn't differentiated nor bold enough and the specific concept has grown stale. My one customer hasn't bothered to trade her 2010 s-class in yet. BTW, I was thoroughly disappointed the hype didn't match the interior of that car- there was some obvious cheapness in the interior.

• Agree 1

Well no need to trade in a 2010 S-class, that has 20 more good years in it.    They are probably making $15-20,000 per car in profit on the S-class, Mercedes has a 10% net margin overall on the car line, the S-class has to be like 20% margin, because I'd guess a C-class or CLA is more like 7 or 8%.

Big sedan sales are shrinking, some of the other guys will just drop out of the market, leaving the S-class with few competitors.  

The 7-series is up 48% this year because they have a new model, that is clearly hurting the S-class.  The S-class refresh with the new engines should help, I think no 5 cylinder option hurts the S-class when all the competitors start $15-20,000 less in price point.  

But it isn't all doom and gloom, S-class has sold 15,834, it is outselling the CTS that costs less than half as much.   he A8 is down 8% with 3,300 sold YTD, the Lexus LS is down 30% with 4,465 sold, the 7-series has sold 10,372, Panamera has sold 3,636.    They are clobbering the competition still.

Mercedes overall sales are up 29.5% in China and up 12.7% in Europe.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The 7-series is up 48% this year because they have a new model, that is clearly hurting the S-class.  The S-class refresh with the new engines should help, I think no 5 cylinder option hurts the S-class when all the competitors start $15-20,000 less in price point.  

But it isn't all doom and gloom, S-class has sold 15,834, it is outselling the CTS that costs less than half as much.   he A8 is down 8% with 3,300 sold YTD, the Lexus LS is down 30% with 4,465 sold, the 7-series has sold 10,372, Panamera has sold 3,636.    They are clobbering the competition still.

Mercedes overall sales are up 29.5% in China and up 12.7% in Europe.

And they have a worldwide market for their cars which allows them to sell lower volume vehicle profitably in the US.  Other markets give them that freedom.

You forgot Continental, which had twelve hundred sales, mostly conquest.  Although I do see the Finished costing more with a Lexus ES than C class...much less S class.

Edited by A Horse With No Name