Motor Trend's 'Of the Year' Awards

ccap41

Motor Trend had their awards last night awarding the SUV of the Year, Truck of the Year, Car of the Year, and Person of the Year awards.

SUV of the Year:

Mercedes Benz GLC - SUV of the Year

Truck of the Year:

Ford Super Duty - Truck of the Year

Car of the Year:

Chevrolet Bolt - Car of the Year

THOUGHTS????

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Minivans always go in COTY.  i think it is just that there are so few of them and a new model is so rare it is easy to forget.

I can see these picks.  They have done worse before, but this year all 3 have merit. 

Tells you how much thought and value I put in Motor Trend OTY Awards then. 

2 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Tells you how much thought and value I put in Motor Trend OTY Awards then. 

They are not the most thoughtful or credible of automotive commentators.  Nice to see the Super Duty there though.

• Agree 1

I am very excited by the Bolt, it does indeed deserve to win this award. The others are to be expected, but I agree with others here I expected the f-pace or model x, the GLC was a surprise. I am sure SMK is excited by the win for the GLC.

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This win  should start a move for GM into the realm of an all-EV luxo CUV the way the Jag IPace is supposed to go. Cadillac and Buick certainly would benefit from something like this. I would even settle for Voltec being slapped into the Encore and XT5 for now.

Agreed!

Random thought and completely off-topic, but y'all kno me.. Anyone ever had one of these when they were growing up? Atari 5200. Last night my gf's kid was playing Xbox One and I thought about what my first game console was.. this was it. Graphics have come so far despite this being waaaaaaaay ahead of its time back in '82

Atari-5200-4-Port-wController-R.jpg

6 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Random thought and completely off-topic, but y'all kno me.. Anyone ever had one of these when they were growing up? Atari 5200. Last night my gf's kid was playing Xbox One and I thought about what my first game console was.. this was it. Graphics have come so far despite this being waaaaaaaay ahead of its time back in '82

Atari-5200-4-Port-wController-R.jpg

OMG yes....!

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

OMG yes....!

lol It was just a flash in my head last night because my favorite came was called Star Raiders.. anyway the game late night was called Halo 5 Guardians. It just blew my mind how far we've come. Some of the characters looked effin real. Anyway... back on topic. 

BOLT, the only one that mattered... as VEHICLE of the year.

• Agree 1

OMG...

This surprised me...

" We were far more impressed with the performance of the F-350 dual-rear-wheel diesel. Despite weighing in at 8,643 pounds—15 pounds heavier than the Ram 3500 dual-rear-wheel diesel—the F-350 returned an outstanding 16.3/20.5/18.0 mpg city/highway/combined. Excellent in its own right, the F-350’s result is all the more impressive compared against the Ram 3500 dually’s 13.3/17.3/14.8 result. Did we mention class-leading torque and towing/payload capability? "

For such a brute, that mileage is remarkable!

4 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

That MPG is amazing.

The whole truck is amazing. I may take issues with the Focus and the Lincoln passenger cars, but ford nails pretty much everything else, and when it comes to the Super Duty, it really effin nails it!

Raptor is easily one of the most lustworth vehicles built in the past decade also.

43 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

OMG...

This surprised me...

" We were far more impressed with the performance of the F-350 dual-rear-wheel diesel. Despite weighing in at 8,643 pounds—15 pounds heavier than the Ram 3500 dual-rear-wheel diesel—the F-350 returned an outstanding 16.3/20.5/18.0 mpg city/highway/combined. Excellent in its own right, the F-350’s result is all the more impressive compared against the Ram 3500 dually’s 13.3/17.3/14.8 result. Did we mention class-leading torque and towing/payload capability? "

For such a brute, that mileage is remarkable!

I read that last night and was thoroughly amazed! That bests half tons of only a couple of years ago..except with 925horse-torques!

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I read that last night and was thoroughly amazed! That bests half tons o only a couple of years ago..except with 925horse-torques!

The rest of the truck is pretty damned amazing also. We are kind of on the rural edge of Columbus Ohio.

The new Super Duty is a huge hit with its target market, probably more so than almost any other automotive product I have seen.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The whole truck is amazing. I may take issues with the Focus and the Lincoln passenger cars, but ford nails pretty much everything else, and when it comes to the Super Duty, it really effin nails it!

Raptor is easily one of the most lustworth vehicles built in the past decade also.

They did with this one, but that has not always been the case. 

Aside from power ratings, the last two trucks were nothing impressive.

• Agree 1

Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

They did with this one, but that has not always been the case. 

Aside from power ratings, the last two trucks were nothing impressive.

Indeed.....