Jump to content

Oldsmobile Intrigue commercial


Recommended Posts

A lot of people love to hate on these cars, but years later I kind of have started to really like the understated look of them.

Would love to be able to walk in and buy a new Aurora....

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 11/21/2016 at 5:08 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

A lot of people love to hate on these cars, but years later I kind of have started to really like the understated look of them.

Would love to be able to walk in and buy a new Aurora....

Out this way, people probably don't even know what they are, or were.  When I told this friend from The Bronx who has been living out West for a long time I was interested in the Intrigue, this individual thought it was a Dodge (as in Intrepid).  We're talking 180 degrees here.  I didn't like those.  I love the understated look as well and I think the simple front end that has that unique angled wraparound look made a bold statement.  I also liked the belt line and greenhouse.  Heck, I like it more than my LaCrosse in many ways.  My last car didn't even have 100,000 miles when the Intrigue was released and I was in no position to buy one, or I would have. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2016 at 10:24 PM, daves87rs said:

Still see quite a few of these around!!!

Absolutely, and in all of the model years, beginning from 1998.  In that year, the Oldsmobile badge was altogether omitted from the rear fascia, except that it could be seen in the headlamps ... if you looked hard enough.  In 1999, it returned, but it was very small.  From 2000 on, it became normal sized. 

The same is true of Aleros.  I have been seeing a lot of them lately and they are holding up very well.  This means that the newest one seen on the road is no less than 13 years old, but probably a little more than that.  I had one as a rental in 2003.  It was great and, up in Alberta, a huge moose decided to randomly cross a major highway about 1/4 of a mile in front of me!  Everyone was startled and slowed way down.  Otherwise, thumbs up to that Alero rental.

When the moose crossed the highway, it went down the embankment to munch on the grass in a meadow.  The moose looked up the embankment at the people who had pulled over to look at it and photograph it ... completely unfazed.

Adding:  there is one Intrigue commercial photographed on the California coast that involves a train that is running parallel to it that is very slick.

Edited by trinacriabob
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, trinacriabob said:

Absolutely, and in all of the model years, beginning from 1998.  In that year, the Oldsmobile badge was altogether omitted from the rear fascia, except that it could be seen in the headlamps ... if you looked hard enough.  In 1999, it returned, but it was very small.  From 2000 on, it became normal sized. 

The same is true of Aleros.  I have been seeing a lot of them lately and they are holding up very well.  This means that the newest one seen on the road is no less than 13 years old, but probably a little more than that.  I had one as a rental in 2003.  It was great and, up in Alberta, a huge moose decided to randomly cross a major highway about 1/4 of a mile in front of me!  Everyone was startled and slowed way down.  Otherwise, thumbs up to that Alero rental.

When the moose crossed the highway, it went down the embankment to munch on the grass in a meadow.  The moose looked up the embankment at the people who had pulled over to look at it and photograph it ... completely unfazed.

Adding:  there is one Intrigue commercial photographed on the California coast that involves a train that is running parallel to it that is very slick.

Yep, still see quite a few Aleros here. Some are a bit rusty, but I have quite a few in good shape! A co worker still has her 03 and it still handles well for 14 years!

 

They have aged well too....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Concept car...yes it is called a 442. It had the Cadillac version 4.6 liter Northstar. This concept was for SEMA 1999 I believe.

72001_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

Int442010.jpg

Int442034.jpg

And then in 2000, the OSV

Oldsmobile-21.jpg

Oldsmobile-1.jpg

 

And the Alero OSV

Oldsmobile-Alero_OSV-2000-wallpaper.jpg

oldsmobile_alero_osv_concept_4.jpeg

 

MY ALERO. 1999 GLS

I dont post personal pics...but this one is all ME!!!! I bought it new in 1999!!!

090.JPG.611fd922a69b6cf0c33e96203da920e8.JPG

 

 

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

MY ALERO. 1999 GLS

I dont post personal pics...but this one is all ME!!!! I bought it new in 1999!!!

090.JPG.611fd922a69b6cf0c33e96203da920e8.JPG

 

Nice!  I think I see a sunroof.  And you still have it?  About half the Aleros I see are in fact coupes and GM/Olds did a much better job with the coupe than the Grand Am did.  In fact, the Alero is nicer outside, inside, and in driving manners (smoother, quieter) than is the Grand Am that coexisted at the same time.  The coupes catch my eye when I spot one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, trinacriabob said:

Nice!  I think I see a sunroof.  And you still have it?  About half the Aleros I see are in fact coupes and GM/Olds did a much better job with the coupe than the Grand Am did.  In fact, the Alero is nicer outside, inside, and in driving manners (smoother, quieter) than is the Grand Am that coexisted at the same time.  The coupes catch my eye when I spot one.

Yes that is a sunroof.

The Alero is loooooong gone Im afraid. Traded it in for a 2005 Chevy Impala SS.  Nothing wrong with it. She only had about 200 000 KM (120 000 miles) trouble free miles on the odometer. Well, I had wheel bearing problems with it. Changed the front right bearings twice and the left side once. Other than that, smooth sailing.  I had to upsize as my wife gave birth to our first kid and she had a 1999 Sentra and the Alero being a coupe, we wanted a bigger family car.

The Sentra was an OK car too, except I HATED that Sentra!

Our baby daughter did get to ride in the car for a couple of months before I traded up for the Impala.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, frogger said:

Drove a 99 Intrigue 3.5L for 5 years, I was on the Edmunds town hall forum back then.  It was a very good highway commuting car for me.

 

If the Intrigue was offered as a coupe just like the Cutlass Supreme was, (and the Grand Prix and the Monte Carlo of the same years), I would have bought the Intrigue instead of the Alero.

In any way, Oldsmobile was my favorite brand back then. I identified myself with Oldsmobile. I just loved their cars starting in the 1980s all the way to its extinction. And of course I loved their cars from the 1960s. In 2017, there isnt a car brand that I identify so closely with.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was surprised when they dropped the Cutlass name, it had such a long and successful history.  Getting rid of their traditional names was another nail in the coffin of Olds. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I was surprised when they dropped the Cutlass name, it had such a long and successful history.  Getting rid of their traditional names was another nail in the coffin of Olds. 

Can you imagine how nice it would be to have a modern Cutlass with the current GM tech?  Something like a Two door ATS, but in Oldsmobile trim?

And maybe something like a Hurst Olds with the ATS-V drive train?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Can you imagine how nice it would be to have a modern Cutlass with the current GM tech?  Something like a Two door ATS, but in Oldsmobile trim?

And maybe something like a Hurst Olds with the ATS-V drive train?

Yes, it's sad they are gone...I always liked Olds products, esp. the Cutlasses.   I even liked the front drive Supremes w/ their neat wraparound rear window and the convertible version..

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Yes, it's sad they are gone...I always liked Olds products, esp. the Cutlasses.   I even liked the front drive Supremes w/ their neat wraparound rear window and the convertible version..

Agree on the FWD Cutlass...I actually really miss them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...