Top Gear Tests the Z06

Check it out: Clarkson gives the Z06 a whirl on Top Gear and his opinion may not be what you expect. :AH-HA_wink:

Clarkson Test:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=XBG7eB-997s&search=top%20gear

Track Time Run: http://youtube.com/watch?v=MdTBuq50YUA&search=top%20gear

What about the bit between the review and the run? :AH-HA_wink: I don't think he has ever made a review without pointing out shortcomings, and this was no exception.

Huh?  They bashed the C6 beyond belief.  :huh:

I got the impression they loved it and only pointed out the clunky gearbox, cheap interior, plastic body, left-hand drive, and hard ride as something to look out for.

A non-Z51 C6 with magnetic shocks and six-speed automatic cures some of those problems.

Edited by empowah

What about the bit between the review and the run? :AH-HA_wink: I don't think he has ever made a review without pointing out shortcomings, and this was no exception.

Yeah, the width, shifter, and comfort were sticking points with Clarkson.

I got the impression they loved it and only pointed out the clunky gearbox, cheap interior, plastic body, left-hand drive, and hard ride as something to look out for.

A non-Z51 C6 with magnetic shocks and six-speed automatic cures some of those problems.

Yeah, exactly.

Yeah, exactly.

Clarkson hates the new Z4 for its ride as well.

His exact words, more or less, [in an American accent], "Its sporty! Its got no suspension, so its sporty!"

This was in a roadster comparo, where Clarkson, Richard, and James compared their favorite roadsters, the S2K, the Z4, and the Boxter, respectively. They each trashed the other cars. Good episode, just like all Top Gears.

It's faster then the Zonda on their track! That's pretty impressive and Clarkson seemed to think so. Maybe he might add it to his collection of cars and park it right next to his Ford GT. Though, maybe I'm hoping for too much.

Oh, also, they took a BLS for their trip to the radio station. I was pleasantly surprised by how great it looked in "real-world" non-studio footage. It's the best looking sedan in its class, IMO, and I definitely prefer the looks to the CTS.

the test drive--- i was just smiling and laughing to myself, mainly cause that must've been so fun!!!!

the other one d/l so slowly... but still great to see it beat something 2x the price.

I wonder if the commentary at the end was cut off at all? After he said if you're not using it on the track the regular one is the better choice. It would have been nice to see him blabber on about it with the other cast members.

Well there you go. Once again even a diehard American car hater

can't say anything considerably negative about the Z06. 0-170mph

in 5th gear... that's pretty freekin insane. Thank god GM didn't put

in a skip-shift feature because I have a feeling it would have been

1st-to-6th this time. :P

If that was a serious complaint then they really do have a few screws loose.

I wonder if the commentary at the end was cut off at all?  After he said if you're not using it on the track the regular one is the better choice.  It would have been nice to see him blabber on about it with the other cast members.

Nope, that was the end.

I wonder if the commentary at the end was cut off at all?  After he said if you're not using it on the track the regular one is the better choice.  It would have been nice to see him blabber on about it with the other cast members.

If you mean between the radio and run, here it is:

H: So the question has to be, have you worked it out yet?

C: Yes, I have. The Ferrari costs that much because it works on the track and it works on the road. This only works on a track.

H: You said you can't use it on the road...

C: No, no, you can use it on the road, legally, you just wouldn't want to.

H: Why?

C: I'm not joking, driving it home, after filming that, I made a list of all the things that are wrong with it. No, I really have. The driveline shunt, you know when you put your foot down, feels like you're in an accordian, uuughgh, the back has come off. The radio is rubbish. At low revs, the engine, honestly sounds like it's being fueled with spanners. The tire roar is deafening; you can't hear anything. It's too wide, the steering wheel is on the wrong side, the trim is woeful. The ride, could break your back every time you run over anything, the gearbox feels like it came from a tractor...

H: All right, can I just say, we've got the message, then.

C: No, I'm not joking. As something to live with every day, I would rather have bird flu.

Well there you go. Once again even a diehard American car hater

can't say anything considerably negative about the Z06. 0-170mph

in 5th gear... that's pretty freekin insane. Thank god GM didn't put

in a skip-shift feature because I have a feeling it would have been

1st-to-6th this time. :P

If that was a serious complaint then they really do have a few screws loose.

How the hell is Clarkson a diehard American car hater? He's got a definite British bias that he doesn't even try to hide, but he's given his approval to plenty of American cars. He even liked the H2, for God's sake!

arms and elbows...for same reasons they like the car they hate them, too.

diabolical.

he could hardly contain himself while he was behind the wheel. he talks about jaguars pretty harshly too from what i recall...most cars he likes he does that.

hes funny like that.

its rare that he ever completely gushes about a car--

he knows its not an everyday car, jeez everyone knows that--i take that as a good thing. :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by Mr.Krinkle

Thought I'd point out a post that was made regarding this same video/topic on the Bimmer forums I go to. This guy is a pretty cool guy. He had a yellow Ferrari 355 and he got rid of it and bought a yellow Z06. It's pretty hot and he has already done some work to it...but anyways, here is what he had to say regarding Clarkson's complaints...

I think he must not have driven it on regular roads. I really think he made those complaints up. There are things wrong with the car but no those things. There isn't much tire noise at all compared to most exotics that he is comparing it to. And my bad back feels just fine after driving in it an hour+. I think he just needed to say something bad because he's always hated anything American. The radio is $h! though. He's right about that. It's mich easier to drive daily than my Ferrari was and it's just as easy to drive as my M3. Actually my M3s ride was rougher. Theyy knew te car was on runflats but didn't mention it. All the cars above it ran sticky tires. Changing to the Porsche GT3s or Ferrari CSs tires would have made it even faster around their track.