Dream Car Garage: $30K Edition

ykX

So it is Monday, let's break the new week's blues with the next one.

Rules:

1. Production cars only.

2. These are your only vehicles.

3. Maximum of 5 choices.

4. Any era and market is allowed.

5. At least TWO NEW cars/trucks.

6.  Maximum price is $30k.

Please, be reasonable with the new/used choices.  NO going over MSRP (deals or no deals), and no very high mileage used cars.

New GTI Sport DSG

maxresdefault.jpg

New Passat V6 SE w/ Tech Pkg

df8a38bb608e1bf24cddfc67d7caf9ffx.jpg

Used Mustang GT Track Pkg 6MT

2015-Ford-Mustang-Exterior-010-610x347.j

986 Cayman S

2007-porsche-cayman-s-atlas-grey-metalli

Used Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Sahara.jpg

This was a tough list for me. I really wanted a convertible, and that's what made me pick the Wrangler over a 4Runner Trail.

I also pretty much had a throwaway choice on one of the new choices, because I didn't want to burn a used car pick on a family ride and be stuck with a compromised 2nd new car. So I just chose the biggest, comfiest, best highway family hauler I could get under the price point. I almost chose a Malibu 1LT w/ options, but even though the 'Bu handles better and is more fun to drive, the Passat rides a little better has more room, more features for the money, and has a sweeter powerplant.

EDIT- Just discovered the V6 SE is $30,100~. That's my pick.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

2 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

New GTI Sport DSG

maxresdefault.jpg

New Passat SE w/ Tech Pkg

df8a38bb608e1bf24cddfc67d7caf9ffx.jpg

Used Mustang GT Track Pkg 6MT

2015-Ford-Mustang-Exterior-010-610x347.j

986 Cayman S

2007-porsche-cayman-s-atlas-grey-metalli

Used Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

2017-Jeep-Wrangler-Sahara.jpg

This was a tough list for me. I really wanted a convertible, and that's what made me pick the Wrangler over a 4Runner Trail.

I also pretty much had a throwaway choice on one of the new choices, because I didn't want to burn a used car pick on a family ride and be stuck with a compromised 2nd new car. So I just chose the biggest, comfiest, best highway family hauler I could get under the price point. I almost chose a Malibu 1LT w/ options, but even though the 'Bu handles better and is more fun to drive, the Passat rides a little better has more room, more features for the money, and has a sweeter powerplant.

Passat is an amazing long distance cruiser.  Shame they are doing away with the diesel....50 MPG in a car that size....

54 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

It really is. Quiet, smooth ride. Cavernous rear seat. It is fantastic highway flyer.

We had one as a rental for five weeks after our MINI was in a minor accident and parts were back ordered at the body shop...it is one real reason I have a Jetta today!

First is a Used 2013 Ford Explorer 13,994 miles for 30K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2017%26searchRadius%3D25&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=432507237&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=EXPLOR

Ford Explorer.jpg

Second is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler 33,574 miles for 30K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2017%26searchRadius%3D25&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=439789541&makeCode1=JEEP&modelCode1=WRANGLER

2013-JeepWrangler.jpg

Third is a 2005 Ram SRT V10 29,082 miles for 30K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D0%26endYear%3D2017%26searchRadius%3D25&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=0&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=434965851&makeCode1=DODGE&modelCode1=RAMSRT10

2005RamSRT.jpg

Fourth is a 2015 Silverado 4x4 Double Cab 7566 miles for 30K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D25%26endYear%3D2017%26searchRadius%3D25&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=25&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=432006371&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=CHEV150

2015Silverado4x4.jpg

Fifth is a 2017 AWD Equinox LT 18 miles for 30K

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=98043&referrer=%2Fcars-for-sale%2Fsearchresults.xhtml%3Fzip%3D98043%26showcaseOwnerId%3D0%26startYear%3D1981%26maxPrice%3D30000%26firstRecord%3D25%26endYear%3D2017%26searchRadius%3D25&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&numRecords=25&maxPrice=30000&firstRecord=25&endYear=2017&searchRadius=25&listingId=440085736&makeCode1=CHEV&modelCode1=EQUINOX

2017AWDEquinox.jpg

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Excellent list, dfelt!

Except only one of his picks was new, and even it broke the rules. I won't even get into how good or bad the picks were.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Thank you, Have to say all those auto's give you allot of auto for the price.

Highly debatable. Especially on the Equinox. Especially when you factor in MSRP.

Except only one of his picks was new, and even it broke the rules. I won't even get into how good or bad the picks were.

Highly debatable. Especially on the Equinox. Especially when you factor in MSRP.

OK, I missed the part where 2 had to be NEW. 1 New and 4 used all $30K and under. So other than the 2nd NEW auto where did I fail?

16 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

New price was supposed to be based on MSRP.

Yes if the selling price is stated is not to be over $30K MSRP, but it does not say you cannot take a New Auto that has a advertised price below MSRP which the Equinox does have in my choice.

I did my best looking at new and used 30K and under. not everyone needs or wants two new auto. :P 

2014 Chevy SS Manual(40-60k miles) 

Chevy SS Autotrader

2011 BMW M3 Coupe ( 50k-ish miles)

2011 M3 Autotrader

2015 Mustang GT PP

2015 Mustang GT PP

2016/2017 Tacoma SR5 Double Cab, 3.5L V6 ...2WD... 29,690 (4WD = 33,xxx - Access Cab still put 4WD over price otherwise I'd do that for 4WD(32,525))

2016/2017 Mazda CX-5 AWD Touring + Tech Package(LED Headlights/fogs/running/taillights) + Moonroof/Bose Package = $29,820

2014-Chevrolet-SS.jpg

2015 Mustang GT PP.jpg

2016 Tacoma SR5.jpg

2011 M3.JPG

2016 Mazda CX-5.jpg

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think 25-30k is a sweet spot for a used vehicle (for the average person).  You can get a lot of car for that money vs new one.

Agreed....which is why I have been so interested in sued luxury cars of the entry level.

1 minute ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Thought you didn't like newer luxury cars. :P

The higher level cars...big difference between a used IS250 at 25K and a Bentley...

1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think 25-30k is a sweet spot for a used vehicle (for the average person).  You can get a lot of car for that money vs new one.

Absolutely agree! I cannot ever see myself spending over 30k on a vehicle even in the used market(which is a lot of vehicle) even if I was making very good money. It's just a large number to choke down on something that depreciates so hard.

45 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Absolutely agree! I cannot ever see myself spending over 30k on a vehicle even in the used market(which is a lot of vehicle) even if I was making very good money. It's just a large number to choke down on something that depreciates so hard.

Agree....my life paradigm has changed, and I am much more interested in woodworking, reading, and travel.

Given a billion dollars, it would be an Alltrack or a GTI or a WRX....which I would drive the 4 or 5 days a month I was actually home in Ohio...

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Buy cars that don't depreciate much. 

23 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Trucks, and Wranglers... That's about it.

Depends on the Truck or the wrangler....

WRX and IS 250, two of my favorite cars, depreciate very little.

Miatas hold their value fairly well, as do Corvettes and specialty Mustangs.

Most of what I like has good residual/resale.

Subaru holds decent but not spectacular resale value.

52 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Depends on the Truck or the wrangler....

WRX and IS 250, two of my favorite cars, depreciate very little.

Miatas hold their value fairly well, as do Corvettes and specialty Mustangs.

Most of what I like has good residual/resale.

Subaru holds decent but not spectacular resale value.

Mustangs don't hold their value well unless it is a specialty Cobra of some sort. I mean we even have a thread for sub 30k cars and a Mustang GT PP falls under 30k in less than 2 years and those are near 40k cars.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Mustangs don't hold their value well unless it is a specialty Cobra of some sort. I mean we even have a thread for sub 30k cars and a Mustang GT PP falls under 30k in less than 2 years and those are near 40k cars.

....I should have been clearer....once the initial depreciation curve hits, they do hold their value better than a regular passenger car.

Eighties and nineties Mustangs, if they are a GT or Cobra in good condition, have evens tarted to appreciate...

Any Porsche. Sepecial models of Mustangs/Camaros. Subarus like AHWNN mentioned. There's plenty of smart used car buys.

Finding vehicles people are passionate about is always sort of a win.  You have online forum support, spare parts stay in production longer, resale stays up, vehicle is usually more fun to drive or has other qualities, the flash of headlights or wave from an oncoming driver is always nice, and there are other advantages.

Being a middle aged male, when women of all age fawn over your car, it is a huge ego boost.  I remember once a high school girls tennis team falling all over themselves to wash my Miata when they were doing a car wash/fund raiser...

7 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

You can't buy those to drive daily though. They are good buys as far as value but they're mostly only desirable with low miles.

Depends....I drove Miatas daily in Ohio for a very long time...

Nothing you can buy will depreciate not at all driven, but then society does not owe you a free car.

But look up the value of a ten year old WRX, IS 250/350, Miata, high performance Mustang, P car or the like...

And it would be much cheaper and more fun to have a 996 Porsche and a Fiesta for a winter car than a new Sonota.

Local Hyundai dealer had a Sonata that was one year old and had gone from 32 K loaded to 17 K used....

For that 15K, I could buy a used Mustang Cobra convertible with 40,000 miles drive it 100,000 miles and sell it for 7 or 8 grand without a problem....with 140,000 miles on the clock.

Paid 12K for my MINI with 30K or so on it, it is still worth $4500/$5000, with almost 120K on it....that many miles would cost a ton more in something like a new Hyundai Veoloster.

• Agree 1