William Maley

Ford News: Ford Plans On Triming Nameplates

28 posts in this topic

William Maley    404

As more consumers head over to crossovers and SUVs, automakers find themselves making changes to their lineup. Case in point is Ford which is considering dropping some of their nameplates because of the change in demand.

“Over time, there should be some pruning of the portfolio to support growth in other areas. Clearly we’re going to invest in growing the SUV portfolio. We certainly intend to have a strong car base as well; we don’t know where the market’s going to go. But there will be some pruning over time as there should be in a nameplate and portfolio,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford president of the Americas.

Ford's car sales are down 14 percent through November with sedans being the big losers.

• Fiesta: Down 26 percent year-to-date
  • Focus: Down 17 percent YTD
  • Taurus: Down 11 percent YTD
  • Fusion: Down 10 percent YTD

Hinrichs didn't say which nameplates could be cut, but mentioned that former popular vehicles such as the Ranger were dropped after demand fell.

“If you look at our past, there’s been some nameplates that have dropped off and other nameplates have been added. Given where the market is going, the demands for capital investment and the regulatory changes coming at us, we’ll continue to always look at the total portfolio and see where’s segmentation going and where should we be phasing out,” said Hinrichs.

We think the Taurus is one of the vehicles on the chopping block since sales of it have been falling for the past couple of years.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

Makes rational sense....

i could see them eventually going to three cars, Mustang, Fusion, and one smaller car.

With all of the good internal combustion upgrades in terms of fuel economy we were talking about in the other thread, at some point the mandate for a really small car like the Fiesta goes away...

In the meantime, i will engage in some Taurus SHO and Fiesta ST lust....

And I like the Buddhist mentality of being happy for the day...Mercury Comet was a great car from Ford in the 60's...nothing lasts forever....

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/927916/1964-mercury-comet-for-sale-in-kissimmee-florida-34744

Enjoy the linky....

1964 Mercury Comet for sale

• Upvote 1

dfelt    1,858

Awesome Linky! :metal:

Yes I totally agree that you have to prune and change the lineup as warranted. I could see a Fusion, Mustang, Focus / Fiesta line up. Not sure which of the last two is better to keep but I am leaning due to size to the Focus.

I can easily see this happening at GM too with Chevy going from 5 to 3 cars.

ccap41    1,220

Yeah the Taurus definitely needs to go as it's just so far behind and not enough people seem to be buying large cars so to make a new one would be very costly, I'd assume. Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Mustang seems about right to me. I wonder if they could make the Fusion a short and long wheelbase to cover the Taurus but not have to make a second vehicle out of it.. just stretch it some. Could something like that be feasible? They could also keep the name and everything, just stretch the thing a few inches. Maintaining 95% of the body work(and everything inside) would save them a bunch as opposed to having a second vehicle entirely like the Taurus.

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah the Taurus definitely needs to go as it's just so far behind and not enough people seem to be buying large cars so to make a new one would be very costly, I'd assume. Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, and Mustang seems about right to me. I wonder if they could make the Fusion a short and long wheelbase to cover the Taurus but not have to make a second vehicle out of it.. just stretch it some. Could something like that be feasible? They could also keep the name and everything, just stretch the thing a few inches. Maintaining 95% of the body work(and everything inside) would save them a bunch as opposed to having a second vehicle entirely like the Taurus.

A Ford Malibu Maxx!  Just busting your chops...given how many options Ford provides buyers I think they would be better off with trim and technology packages myself.

ocnblu    772

I can see Taurus going, there've been no measurable improvements to it since this bodystyle came out, IIRC.  Flex we know is dead.  I'll stick with those two for right now.  And I like the idear of a long wheelbase Fusion.  "Fusion LTD".  :)

26 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

I can see Taurus going, there've been no measurable improvements to it since this bodystyle came out, IIRC.  Flex we know is dead.  I'll stick with those two for right now.  And I like the idear of a long wheelbase Fusion.  "Fusion LTD".  :)

Agree on Fusion...

daves87rs    349
6 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Taurus, Flex, C-Max probably

And you would be very right.  Flex and Taurus next year, the 'Max' 2019.

And because of the thanks to the new baby CUV, you can add the Focus hatch in the US as well.....

5 hours ago, daves87rs said:

And you would be very right.  Flex and Taurus next year, the 'Max' 2019.

And because of the thanks to the new baby CUV, you can add the Focus hatch in the US as well.....

Not sure about that, I think Ford has something very special for us in terms of the next Focus.  Thinking I may put off the TDI buy back....I technically have until December of 2018....if Ford can do with the Focus what they are doing with the Fiesta, and bring out an ST version for 2018...I may have a Ford in my future!

Very, very happy with the current direction of Ford!:wub:

• Upvote 1

ponchoman49    23

I agree on the Taurus not really being needed. It has poor interior space utilization, it's heavy and it's mileage trails some other full size cars. The Fusion is a great car in search of better revamped engines. The V6 Sport is a great addition to the lineup but heavy and has class trailing MPG. The base 2.5 is just adequate but has the lowest MPG of any competitor and is rather noisy. The 1.5T is only a little quicker and efficient but is it really worth 900.00? The 2.0T provides the power needed but is V6 thirsty and slower to 60 than most competition V6 engines from Honda, Toyota and Chrysler.

daves87rs    349
16 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Not sure about that, I think Ford has something very special for us in terms of the next Focus.  Thinking I may put off the TDI buy back....I technically have until December of 2018....if Ford can do with the Focus what they are doing with the Fiesta, and bring out an ST version for 2018...I may have a Ford in my future!

Very, very happy with the current direction of Ford!:wub:

Yeah, can agree there! Would like to think they will try to keep it around...

Wings4Life(BANNED)    1,000,000

New Ranger and Bronco will change things up.

There is also a radical change in offerings coming in electrification that will implicate other vehicles.

I am most curious what and when they will announce for the Taurus, but that is a big part of this as well.

ocnblu    772

Just read an article over onto the Facebook, Ford is going to drop the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Taurus, Mustang, Transit Connect, Escape, Ecosport, Ranger, Bronco, Transit, Expedition, Explorer, Flex, Edge, and all F-series models here in the U.S.  :smilewide:  Did I forget any?

Edited by ocnblu

55 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Just read an article over onto the Facebook, Ford is going to drop the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Taurus, Mustang, Transit Connect, Escape, Ecosport, Ranger, Bronco, Transit, Expedition, Explorer, Flex, Edge, and all F-series models here in the U.S.  :smilewide:  Did I forget any?

Eventually when the sun burns out and the planet goes dark....pretty sure when cockroaches are all that is left on the planet new F150's will be parked next to a small fleet of W body Impalas, which seem impervious to demise....

5 hours ago, ocnblu said:

You forgot your meds it seems :D

dfelt    1,858
1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

You forgot your meds it seems :D

:o What, are we all not medicated now in the 21st century world?

2017 the new THX-1138 or Logans Run! :P

ocnblu    772

Well if the 3-door Fiesta comes to the USA...

Oh man I hope they don't pull the same trick they did when they dropped the Ranger... saying ppl would just buy the Fiesta instead, except they didn't... I hope they don't present the Ecosport as alternative to Fiesta and stop the party again.  :/

5099c9241cb06a3091d1900ba6b455c2.jpg

2 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Oh man I hope they don't pull the same trick they did when they dropped the Ranger... saying ppl would just buy the Fiesta instead, except they didn't... I hope they don't present the Ecosport as alternative to Fiesta and stop the party again.  :/

5cc3a6d818a2e3865e5f75fc722947e7.jpg

• Upvote 1

oldshurst442    1,036
On 2016-12-08 at 7:47 AM, A Horse With No Name said:

Eventually when the sun burns out and the planet goes dark....pretty sure when cockroaches are all that is left on the planet new F150's will be parked next to a small fleet of W body Impalas, which seem impervious to demise....

Sorry BLU, it looks like it would only be Chevy. W-Body or otherwise.

CHEVY RUNS DEEP!

OK OK....

We dont want to upset Wings...

We will include Ford. A Mustang GT500.

But definitely NO F-150!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Upvote 2

dfelt    1,858
4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Just make sure they bolt the gas tank properly so it does not explore. :P

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      There is a small group of people that wish Ford would bring back the F-150 Lightning. Appearing in 1993-1995, and again from 1999 to 2004, the Lightning was a go-fast truck that handled surprisingly well. But since 2004, Ford hasn't brought back the Lighting. Instead, it has focused on the off-road monster that is the Raptor. 
      Enter Pioneer Ford in Bremen, Georgia. The dealership is building their version of the Lightning. Starting with a regular cab, short bed F-150, Pioneer rips out the stock engine and drops in a 5.0L Coyote V8 with a Roush Supercharger. Horsepower is rated at 650. Other changes include a lowered suspension, side exit exhaust, 22-inch wheels that mimic the ones found on the last Lightning, and SVT badge. Before you start panicking about the possibility of the warranty being voided due to this work, it isn't. The dealer is an authorized Roush installer, which preserves the standard warranty and adds a 3 year/36,000-mile warranty for the supercharger.
      Pioneer Ford currently has two of these Lightnings with a pricetag of $49,651, about the same price of a base F-150 Raptor.
      Source: Hooniverse, Pioneer Ford's Facebook Page
      Pic Credit: Pioneer Ford

View full article
    • By William Maley
      There is a small group of people that wish Ford would bring back the F-150 Lightning. Appearing in 1993-1995, and again from 1999 to 2004, the Lightning was a go-fast truck that handled surprisingly well. But since 2004, Ford hasn't brought back the Lighting. Instead, it has focused on the off-road monster that is the Raptor. 
      Enter Pioneer Ford in Bremen, Georgia. The dealership is building their version of the Lightning. Starting with a regular cab, short bed F-150, Pioneer rips out the stock engine and drops in a 5.0L Coyote V8 with a Roush Supercharger. Horsepower is rated at 650. Other changes include a lowered suspension, side exit exhaust, 22-inch wheels that mimic the ones found on the last Lightning, and SVT badge. Before you start panicking about the possibility of the warranty being voided due to this work, it isn't. The dealer is an authorized Roush installer, which preserves the standard warranty and adds a 3 year/36,000-mile warranty for the supercharger.
      Pioneer Ford currently has two of these Lightnings with a pricetag of $49,651, about the same price of a base F-150 Raptor.
      Source: Hooniverse, Pioneer Ford's Facebook Page
      Pic Credit: Pioneer Ford
    • By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      With only 500 Ford GTs being built for its production, each one will be considered as a rare and special vehicle. But there will always be those who want something a bit more special. Ford has just the GT for you in the form of the 2018 GT '67 Heritage Edition.
      Paying homage to the 1967 Le Mans victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt, the '67 Heritage Edition is finished in the same red paint and white stripes, as well as the same no.1 that the winning GT40 wore. Other exterior items to take note of are the exposed carbon fiber package, 20-inch forged aluminum wheels, red brake calipers, and silver mirror caps. The interior comes with red accent stitching, anodized gray paddle shifters, exposed carbon fiber trim, and a serialized identification plaque.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt. The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing,” said Dave Pericak, global director of Ford Performance.
      Ford says they will build a limited amount of the GT ’67 Heritage Edition.
      Source: Ford
      Press Release is on Page 2

FORD PERFORMANCE TO OFFER TRIBUTE LIVERY OF HISTORIC 1967 LE MANS WINNER WITH 2018 FORD GT '67 HERITAGE EDITION
      Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition with unique red-and-white-stripe livery celebrates 1967 Le Mans-winning GT40 Mark IV race car driven by all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt   Ford GT ‘67 Heritage edition honoring historic No. 1 race car introduced for 2018 model year Limited-edition Ford GT features exclusive race-number graphics, plus unique interior colors, materials and appointments DEARBORN, Mich., Aug. 15, 2017 – The 2018 Ford GT will be available in a new limited-edition Heritage theme honoring the GT40 Mark IV race car driven to victory by the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt at Le Mans in 1967. The car will feature unique interior and exterior color themes, and an exclusive wheel finish.
      “In creating a worthy successor to the 2017 Heritage edition, we logically looked at our next historic Le Mans victory with the all-American team of Dan Gurney and A.J. Foyt,” said Dave Pericak, global director Ford Performance. “The 2018 Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition pays homage to that win, with a modern take on one of the most important vehicles in Ford’s storied history of racing.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition features a gloss-finish Race Red exterior with white stripes and exposed carbon package. The car sports Frozen White No. 1 hood and door graphics, and 20-inch one-piece forged aluminum wheels in silver satin clearcoat with black lug nuts. Red calipers and silver rearview mirror caps complete the look.
      The interior begins with new leather trimming for the carbon fiber seats, with red accent stitching, which carries over to the steering wheel. The seat belt webbing is now red and the paddle shifters are anodized gray. Satin dark stainless appliqués are used on the instrument panel, door register bezels and x-brace.
      Rounding out modifications to the ’67 Heritage edition car are a unique serialized identification plate, plus exposed matte carbon fiber door sills, air register pods and center console.
      “The first Heritage edition car was a huge success, honoring our history with a modern interpretation of the Le Mans winner,” said Garen Nicoghosian, exterior design manager for the car. “Continuing with a 2018 Ford GT based on the winning GT40 Mark IV race car was simply something we needed to do.”
      The Ford GT ’67 Heritage edition can be viewed at FordGT.com using the configuration tool. Limited quantities will be available for the 2018 model year.
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)