Dodge News: Dodge Challenger Adds All-Wheel Drive for 2017

William Maley

Just now, surreal1272 said:

All I can think of is this,

IMG_4231.JPG

And what a long strange trip its been!

We will assume you are the right kind of "Dead Head" for a strange trip in a Chrysler product....!

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

FCA is not rolling the dice here. 

There is no risk, there is only listening to customers wants.  And as stew mentioned, it is a simple add on.

32 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's all off-the-shelf parts.  This is the technological equivalent of Chevy adding AWD to the Camaro by using ATS parts.... and likely as equally not difficult. 

And also without any warrant for its existence....

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, Stew said:

Again, some people gotta bash it just because of the manufacturer......................

No you are just overly sensitive about Chrysler. Like any other brand you have to take the bad and the good. 

I like GM but I can give you a laundry list of issues they have too. 

This is a very old car a very over weight car and one that should have been replace long ago. Yet they are saddled with it not due to Chrysler but mismanagement by Fiat and Sergio. It is clear as day and I can not see how you can not be even more upset about this than a GM fan. 

To continue to defend and make excesses is just a means to an end of the brand if they do not get it together soon. 

Same on the 300 Chrysler had a really good thing going that even Lincoln would envy. Now they are saddled with a old sedan that is discounted to the point it is priced with a Malibu and Fusion. Good for the buyer bad for Chrysler that could be getting top ATP for a car like this. Now there is talk that the 300 will go away if there is a LX replacement. 

This is just bad management by FCA and I really wish Fiat has not bought Chrysler now. 

I really do fear for their future out side Ram and Jeep. 

The first sign of danger to the cars was years ago when they removed the Dodge name from the Trucks. How better to kill the cars or sell off the trucks at some point. 

Do you not think they should have replaced the LX by now with a modern platform and a new updated V8 and V6? How long should they wait? 

Should they not have let Chrysler have the funds to do a entire line of cars and small cross overs to give Fiat the Volume they dearly need vs putting money into Alfa and Maserati? 

If they had treated Chrysler as they have Jeep Fiats issues would be much less.  

Where am I wrong for pointing out a better funded Chrysler being put in the lead of the corporation would be the best move? 

4 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Interesting idea on the supercharged V6....

The sad part was for some unknown reason he put a pig hood ornament on it with wings. He no longer works there and we never got why he put it on the car as it was great looking car outside the hood ornament. 

It must have been a good idea under the influence?

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Stew said:

I personally don't want to see it become a small compact 4 seater because it's size is what gives it it's appeal.  not everyone wants a tight sportscar.  i would like to see them make a smaller cuda to compete sure, but leave the Challenger alone (speaking of size and capabilities of course).  if all 3 were carbon copies of each other they would all lose their purpose for being, I LOVE the fact that they all 3 have distinct personalities. 

It does not have to go that way. 

But it can be made into a modern lighter and stiffer platform that would make it a even better and more competitive car. 

Here again it is a failure of Fiat not so much Chrysler.

Just imagine this. We know what they have done with an old over weight car. Imagine the same people with the proper amount of money doing a much more modern car that is still in the same vein as what we have.

You can stick an engine in and you can add AWD but a clean sheet of paper platform can deliver so much more.  

• Agree 1

The only Challenger I see where AWD would be beneficial would be the SRT 8 versions ESPECIALLY the Hellcat.

But alas, I dont think AWD will be offered for those.

Sure its a no big deal add on as the Charger and 300 have this and I applaud this move ONLY because it MIGHT make pony car guys think about how the pony car segment COULD evolve to to spice things up performance wise vis-a-vis the competitor German sport coupe cars that have AWD...

Or maybe not.

Alls I know about a Hellcat is that its got insane power and its hard to get that power to the ground effectively.

I LOVE me that Hellcat power. But AWD would do it some good.

Mind you, a new svelte platform would also benefit a Hellcat.

AWD on a Challenger?

Call it boring for me....

A 300C also had it a DECADE ago...

BIG DEAL!!!

GIVE ME A BRAND NEW CHALLENGER INSTEAD!!!

I STILL LOVE THIS HELLCAT THOUGH!!! BUT I WANT A NEW PLATFORMED CHALLENGER HELLCAT EVEN MORE!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Wings4Life said:

No need to go to extremes. Many people love the style of the challenger, performance with V6 is more than adequate, would never own an SUV and don’t want 4 doors – yet live in a Northern climate and can’t justify a RWD coupe anything.  Until now.  And let’s face it, nobody will notice the added weight, because nobody will be cutting apexes with one.  But they will certainly notice AWD.

EXACTLY.  GIVE CHRYSLER CREDIT FOR TRYING A NICHE HERE.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Stew said:

I personally don't want to see it become a small compact 4 seater because it's size is what gives it it's appeal.  not everyone wants a tight sportscar.  i would like to see them make a smaller cuda to compete sure, but leave the Challenger alone (speaking of size and capabilities of course).  if all 3 were carbon copies of each other they would all lose their purpose for being, I LOVE the fact that they all 3 have distinct personalities. 

Why the Challenger sells is due to its heritage Mopar styling AND ITS SIZE.  Now that the Camaro and Mustang are lilliputes, and no one can inhabit them, the Challenger is more of a luxury GT.  Some folks like to use their car year round and in this case, since the Charger is ugly, the real mopar fans can finally get the nicer looking car AND NOT have to keep it in the garage in winter.  think older baby boomers who maybe just want this as a second car, for looks only, and really don't give a fuck about whether its heavy or whether they will lap the Nurburgring.  This is the car you take to Madison to go see a football game on a fall weekend when your kid starts his first day of college.

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I get that people are anxious for an update, and I'm sure it's on the drawing board as we speak, but the logic by some is baffling. Hyper just claimed failure by the entire corporation FCA....... because the headlines did not read all new product is ready to go, instead of what they offered.

I'm speechless

55 minutes ago, regfootball said:

Trying a niche is not the problem but they could  and should have added a V8 to that niche, seeing as how they have had AWD with the 5.7L in the past on the exact same platform. 

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

I suspected torque limitations at first, but a quick search shows that they did not offer AWD with Charger V8 and 8 speed in the recent past.  

My conclusion is that FCA didn't make the 8 cyl AWD because the new larger 8 speed trans can't fit.  Thus,  an engineering decision. I am sure the dealers would want to offer AWD for both, if they could, but they can't.  

6 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

I suspected torque limitations at first, but a quick search shows that they did not offer AWD with Charger V8 and 8 speed in the recent past.  

My conclusion is that FCA didn't make the 8 cyl AWD because the new larger 8 speed trans can't fit.  Thus,  an engineering decision. I am sure the dealers would want to offer AWD for both, if they could, but they can't.  

I was told by an FCA rep that the take rate on the older V8-AWD setup was too low for them to bother certifying the new setup.  Not sure if it's true or not, but sounded reasonable. 

• Agree 1

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was told by an FCA rep that the take rate on the older V8-AWD setup was too low for them to bother certifying the new setup.  Not sure if it's true or not, but sounded reasonable. 

Ran across that too, but several people swear that it was just an excuse.  Seems more plausible to me that physical limitations are the cause, rather than lack of sales.  Completing the setup for V8 is minor, if you are already doing it for V6.  And lets face it, the 8 speed is bigger than a 5 speed.  Kind of a smoking gun, imo.

Edited by Wings4Life

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

Why...they certainly don't deserve it...

23 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Makes sense...

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

Ran across that too, but several people swear that it was just an excuse.  Seems more plausible to me that physical limitations are the cause, rather than lack of sales.  Completing the setup for V8 is minor, if you are already doing it for V6.  And lets face it, the 8 speed is bigger than a 5 speed.  Kind of a smoking gun, imo.

It really could be either. I'm sure V8 sales of all of the LX cars can't be more than about 20%.... AWD being even 20% of V8s is probably optimistic.  So 1/25th of the cars being sold in that power train configuration really doesn't make for a good business case.  

The 8-Speed AWD is actually more compact than the 5-speed AWD when you account for the forward drive shaft.  In the 8-speed it is integrated into the transmission, in the 5-speed, it's external. 

It's kinda a moot point now anyway... the LX cars are headed for the dust bin at the end of this generation... and I'm rather sad about that. If my business takes off next year like I hope, maybe I'll pick up a 300C Hemi to use as a daily since I don't want to wheel a truck around everywhere...... heck, I've got 6 garages.... I might as well use them. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It really could be either. I'm sure V8 sales of all of the LX cars can't be more than about 20%.... AWD being even 20% of V8s is probably optimistic.  So 1/25th of the cars being sold in that power train configuration really doesn't make for a good business case.  

The 8-Speed AWD is actually more compact than the 5-speed AWD when you account for the forward drive shaft.  In the 8-speed it is integrated into the transmission, in the 5-speed, it's external. 

It's kinda a moot point now anyway... the LX cars are headed for the dust bin at the end of this generation... and I'm rather sad about that. If my business takes off next year like I hope, maybe I'll pick up a 300C Hemi to use as a daily since I don't want to wheel a truck around everywhere...... heck, I've got 6 garages.... I might as well use them. 

My thoughts exactly regarding the transmission. There is no reason for the V8 exclusion other than an economic one. Just sucks that they won't do both engines. 

It's not like the Pentastar is a particularly compact engine.  It's one of the best general purpose V6es on the market, but it is rather large.  I think both the Ford 3.7 and GM 3.6 are smaller, if only slightly.  The Toyota and Hondas are much smaller

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

So here we are hearing directly from an FCA rep that an AWD sedan w/ a V8 didn't sell, but they thought it'd be a good idea to put AWD in a less practical car w/ a bunch less power.

Yep, seems like a good idea to me.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

So here we are hearing directly from an FCA rep that an AWD sedan w/ a V8 didn't sell, but they thought it'd be a good idea to put AWD in a less practical car w/ a bunch less power.

Yep, seems like a good idea to me.

When you have lemons you make lemon aide.

In other words you are a auto engineer with little budget and a very old car so what do you do? You take what you have and make the best of it.

We saw this very same thing at Pontiac when they put a V8 in the FWD GXP GP. Not a great car but considering they had no money and an old W body to work with it was better than nothing.

Note the GXP was on the road to the bail out.

17 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

No you are just overly sensitive about Chrysler. Like any other brand you have to take the bad and the good. 

I like GM but I can give you a laundry list of issues they have too. 

This is a very old car a very over weight car and one that should have been replace long ago. Yet they are saddled with it not due to Chrysler but mismanagement by Fiat and Sergio. It is clear as day and I can not see how you can not be even more upset about this than a GM fan. 

To continue to defend and make excesses is just a means to an end of the brand if they do not get it together soon. 

Same on the 300 Chrysler had a really good thing going that even Lincoln would envy. Now they are saddled with a old sedan that is discounted to the point it is priced with a Malibu and Fusion. Good for the buyer bad for Chrysler that could be getting top ATP for a car like this. Now there is talk that the 300 will go away if there is a LX replacement. 

This is just bad management by FCA and I really wish Fiat has not bought Chrysler now. 

I really do fear for their future out side Ram and Jeep. 

The first sign of danger to the cars was years ago when they removed the Dodge name from the Trucks. How better to kill the cars or sell off the trucks at some point. 

Do you not think they should have replaced the LX by now with a modern platform and a new updated V8 and V6? How long should they wait? 

Should they not have let Chrysler have the funds to do a entire line of cars and small cross overs to give Fiat the Volume they dearly need vs putting money into Alfa and Maserati? 

If they had treated Chrysler as they have Jeep Fiats issues would be much less.  

Where am I wrong for pointing out a better funded Chrysler being put in the lead of the corporation would be the best move? 

The sad part was for some unknown reason he put a pig hood ornament on it with wings. He no longer works there and we never got why he put it on the car as it was great looking car outside the hood ornament. 

It must have been a good idea under the influence?

Yes, because I just bought a Chrysler Beetle and a Dodge Camry????????   Wait..........

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

What About the Ram Tundra FX4, hear those are pretty sweet. 

Nope, Heard they have a Rotting Frame Issue as they bog down in the Tundra on the northern slope.

:roflmao: 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Oh no, didn't realize.  May have to try a Nissan Tacoma All-Terrain.

Same Problem with the Frame. That pesky Toyota Frame issue has plagued some potentially awesome auto's. The Rogue Runner would have been great if not for the Frame too. :P

45 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

With all the snow across the nation recently and more on the way, I wonder how many Challenger owners wish they had AWD.

Agree, I think with all the crazy weather more and more wish they had AWD.

• 3 months later...