MT: Lincoln Continental 3.0T First Test

TaurusSHO

The 2017 Lincoln Continental might be labeled as quiet luxury, but even the timid ones have a wild side. And how could it not with two turbos and 400 horses under its hood?

The big Lincoln returns after a 14-year hiatus, and the automaker set out to make its comeback something special. And that’s certainly the case with one of the sedan’s engine choices—a Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 churning out 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque that’s been paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard fare, but our test car was equipped with an all-wheel-drive system.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lincoln/continental/2017/2017-lincoln-continental-30t-awd-first-test-review/

An overall positive review and man is that interior gorgeous. :wub:

14 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

The 2017 Lincoln Continental might be labeled as quiet luxury, but even the timid ones have a wild side. And how could it not with two turbos and 400 horses under its hood?

The big Lincoln returns after a 14-year hiatus, and the automaker set out to make its comeback something special. And that’s certainly the case with one of the sedan’s engine choices—a Lincoln-exclusive 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 churning out 400 hp and 400 lb-ft of torque that’s been paired with a six-speed automatic transmission. Front-wheel drive is standard fare, but our test car was equipped with an all-wheel-drive system.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/lincoln/continental/2017/2017-lincoln-continental-30t-awd-first-test-review/

An overall positive review and man is that interior gorgeous. :wub:

Pretty much still a Meh car for me.  I do not like the interior as much in these photographs, and overall the design still looks heavy and awkward to me.

Now this...http://www.lexus.com/models/LS

Is a Luxury car!

Lexus LS

:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:

I never thought the LS was anything special.  I'd gladly take a loaded Black Label over it.  More realistically, I'd be content with a Select model with the Revel audio system and 30-way seats. 

1 minute ago, TaurusSHO said:

I never thought the LS was anything special.  I'd gladly take a loaded Black Label over it.  More realistically, I'd be content with a Select model with the Revel audio system and 30-way seats. 

To each his own...! I am a huge fan of Lexus and not much of a Lincoln fan....

Just now, TaurusSHO said:

Of course.  I feel the opposite way haha.

...and I wish you many happy miles if you ever end up with a continental.  I am really happy that Ford is building this and that they are making conquest sales.  Lexus, BMW and everyone else needs a little bit of a wake up call...they have gotten too comfortable....this should make people in management nervous in Bavaria and Osaka.

Which should bring on the next cycle of product which will be even more interesting.

Lincoln, nice very nice upgrade from the old version. Sadly, tight, not meant for large people and the lack of head room in the back makes this car a NOGO from the beginning for me. Having spent time with the car, the front passengers can get comfy, but not the back.

Lexus is a total yawner for me. My aunt has her 3rd one and always complains about having to take it in for repairs. Fit n Finish leaves allot to be desire. So far Lexus has not done much to win me over to be even an admirer of their auto's.

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Lincoln, nice very nice upgrade from the old version. Sadly, tight, not meant for large people and the lack of head room in the back makes this car a NOGO from the beginning for me. Having spent time with the car, the front passengers can get comfy, but not the back.

Lexus is a total yawner for me. My aunt has her 3rd one and always complains about having to take it in for repairs. Fit n Finish leaves allot to be desire. So far Lexus has not done much to win me over to be even an admirer of their auto's.

Lexus is by far the most reliable Luxury make, and they just overtook BMW for the number two sales spot within the last year in north America.

The only Luxury car that would have enough head room for you in the back is a Lincoln...a 1960's 4 door convertible...with the top down....:lol:

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Lexus is by far the most reliable Luxury make, and they just overtook BMW for the number two sales spot within the last year in north America.

The only Luxury car that would have enough head room for you in the back is a Lincoln...a 1960's 4 door convertible...with the top down....:lol:

True they seem to have hit the reliable numbers, but then some people just seem to be lucky with lemons and I think my aunt is one of them.

True the old Lincolns of the 60's - 70's did have much head room.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

True they seem to have hit the reliable numbers, but then some people just seem to be lucky with lemons and I think my aunt is one of them.

True the old Lincolns of the 60's - 70's did have much head room.

Sorry your aunt is having problems with hers.  I am probably not the best arbiter for what Luxury car buyers want. In my mind, I would like something with really athletic styling and power to match.

CTS-V seems like a no brainer if I was going to spend north of 50 K, but then again it is not a "flagship" and the LS and Conti are.

I like the CTS side profile much better than the ATS side and rear profile....

I see the Chrysler 200S when I look at that interior. It's just not *luxury* special beyond the optional seats.

2015-Chrysler-200-Sedan-LX-4dr-Front-whe

The overall engineering is basically like Cadillac's FWD-based XTS V-Sport, which was faster and better handling back in 2014 (13.7@104 mph, 26.3 sec figure-eight). This isn't in the league of the A7/A8, S-Class, etc, but we're supposed to continually give it a pass because it's good...for a Lincoln.

• Agree 1

Ehhh, the more I see the XTS, the more I see a whale as well. I mean, the only good angle on that car is the rear....where you end up thinking it's a CTS or ATS. Much better looking cars than the whale the XTS is. Compared to the MKS, the XTS is most definitely trim. But compared to everything else, yup it's also a whale.

The Lincoln Conti is damn good for what it the company is trying to do. And it is a bonus that it drives so well, even with 59% of the weight on the nose. If you want the luxury snob badge, and look for capability you most definitely do NOT need, then don't go for Lincoln.  

And I do not see much resemblance to the 200S. Well, the floating controls, that's riff of Audi A8 to begin with, so if Chrysler copied an Audi, and a Lincoln looks similar, it's not the 200 that the Lincoln interior is inspired from. Also, all the lower parts of the 200 are nasty cheap. You don't find that in the Lincoln, I'm afraid.

And yet most critics have said the Lincoln does most definitely have an authentic American luxury interior.

I dunno. the Lincoln Continental is conquesting over buyers, and it'll be a while to see what it's range of sales per month should be still.

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I see the Chrysler 200S when I look at that interior. It's just not *luxury* special beyond the optional seats.

2015-Chrysler-200-Sedan-LX-4dr-Front-whe

The overall engineering is basically like Cadillac's FWD-based XTS V-Sport, which was faster and better handling back in 2014 (13.7@104 mph, 26.3 sec figure-eight). This isn't in the league of the A7/A8, S-Class, etc, but we're supposed to continually give it a pass because it's good...for a Lincoln.

I don't think Lincoln cares it isn't matching or besting anybody in the performance categories as that isn't what it was designed to do. 

Image is for a comparison. 

Continental Interior.jpg

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I don't think Lincoln cares it isn't matching or besting anybody in the performance categories as that isn't what it was designed to do. 

Image is for a comparison. 

Continental Interior.jpg

Both the 200 and Conti are kind of disproportional IMHO.

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Ehhh, the more I see the XTS, the more I see a whale as well. I mean, the only good angle on that car is the rear....where you end up thinking it's a CTS or ATS. Much better looking cars than the whale the XTS is. Compared to the MKS, the XTS is most definitely trim. But compared to everything else, yup it's also a whale.

...which is why I have been pretty open that the CTS is the only Cadillac I would like enough to buy, and then probably only in V trim.

C class Benz is much better looking than the Lincoln or (most of the) Cadillac lineup IMHO and I am not a Benz fan.

10 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

The Lincoln Conti is damn good for what it the company is trying to do. And it is a bonus that it drives so well, even with 59% of the weight on the nose. If you want the luxury snob badge, and look for capability you most definitely do NOT need, then don't go for Lincoln. 

It is a damn good car, and I am really happy it is making conquest sales. Things need to heat up in the luxury car market. I am a harsh critic of this car, but even as a harsh critic, I think it is a landmark car for not just Ford but also for the industry as a whole. The Shopkeepers bench went through the shopkeepers window with the cTS when it came out, it went back through the window with this car.

Like it or not, people will stand up and take notice of Lincoln with this...

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

And I do not see much resemblance to the 200S. Well, the floating controls, that's riff of Audi A8 to begin with, so if Chrysler copied an Audi, and a Lincoln looks similar, it's not the 200 that the Lincoln interior is inspired from. Also, all the lower parts of the 200 are nasty cheap. You don't find that in the Lincoln, I'm afraid.

I have openly praised Lincolns use of material elsewhere in Conti threads, let me repeat that here....they do a damn fine job!

My issue is with the dash proportions.  again, i like the center stack, but the whole dashboard looks heavy to me in a malaise era luxury car vibe that is not something I want to repeat.

Yes, agree, lower parts of the 200 dash are nasty cheap, but it was a luxury (near luxury) car that went out the door for the price of a nicely equipped Civic in many cases.

11 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

And yet most critics have said the Lincoln does most definitely have an authentic American luxury interior.

C and G is corrupting me in the worst ways possible I am afraid.  A few years ago, I wanted a racing seat and a cage...now I am checking the online sites for used Luxury in the 25K range...

Despite the downsides to the Conti, given luxury car depreciation, I could actually see owning this myself used for a couple of reasons.

#1. Ford has done an excellent job with reliability....they are not Lexus, but they are very, very reliable. Build quality is way up and I trust them with things like electronics and body control modules more than many other luxury car makers. 

#2. Lincoln suffers a depreciation hit that rivals anything else in the used market, but around ere Lincoln, Cadillac, Lexus and Infinity seem to hold used residual value long term best...followed by Acura, and then Audi, then Benz, worst is BMW.

in other words, a nice price point for buy in gently used and then a good long term ownership experience in terms of repairs and depreciation.

#3. As expressed elsewhere, interior materials and also colors, I like Lincolns color choices better than any other luxury car maker.

#4. Ford parts prices seem to be more affordable than any other brand when it does come time to repair.

#5. Lack of snob appeal actually works well for me- I work with habitat for humanity swinging a hammer from time to time, also work as an adjunct Debate coach at the University I work at, and also work with the urban debate league-I think A Lincoln would actually come across as less snobish from an image standpoint, which would be  a plus...

All of that being said, there are a lot of other options out there....but this car does have a certain pragmatic appeal in some ways.

A lot of what makes the Chrysler 300 good is here, in a package 12 years more fresh and from a much more stable company.

Also from a used car standpoint, I still like the IS 250/350 better....

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

All of that being said, there are a lot of other options out there....but this car does have a certain pragmatic appeal in some ways.

A lot of what makes the Chrysler 300 good is here, in a package 12 years more fresh and from a much more stable company.

Also from a used car standpoint, I still like the IS 250/350 better....

If you have friends and Family over 5'10" you will want the 300 over the Conti. The 300 can fit comfy even Shrek size me at 6'6", The Conti is a fail for big people. Nice auto, decent, but not a big persons car. In fact I would say the saving grace is that the 300 is still the last remaining full size that has room for us big guys.

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

If you have friends and Family over 5'10" you will want the 300 over the Conti. The 300 can fit comfy even Shrek size me at 6'6", The Conti is a fail for big people. Nice auto, decent, but not a big persons car. In fact I would say the saving grace is that the 300 is still the last remaining full size that has room for us big guys.

I do like the room in the 300...V8 power is a huge plus also....

One huge plus that I hope Lincoln will be engraining in all of their autos is this is the first Lincoln to not be covered with Ford switchgear. They finally have their own stuff!! I think something small like that will make a huge difference for those who say, "this is just a gussied up Ford". 

The guy is really corny but there were some small things I didn't know about the car that I learned. 

Edited by ccap41

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

One huge plus that I hope Lincoln will be engraining in all of their autos is this is the first Lincoln to not be covered with Ford switchgear. They finally have their own stuff!! I think something small like that will make a huge difference for those who say, "this is just a gussied up Ford". 

The guy is really corny but there were some small things I didn't know about the car that I learned. 

Small things yes...but it still leaves a lot to be desired.

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

I guess it all depends on how you sit.  I am 6'1" and have no issue sitting in the back of our 2013 Taurus.  On a couple of road trips with my 6'3" uncle in front of me, it didn't feel cramped at all.  I imagine the Continental would seem like sitting in the back of a Town Car in comparison.

2 minutes ago, TaurusSHO said:

I guess it all depends on how you sit.  I am 6'1" and have no issue sitting in the back of our 2013 Taurus.  On a couple of road trips with my 6'3" uncle in front of me, it didn't feel cramped at all.  I imagine the Continental would seem like sitting in the back of a Town Car in comparison.

I invite you to go try as I was surprised on how tight it was and having to bend my head down. There is not much room in the back if you have a large person up front. Very tight.

49 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I invite you to go try as I was surprised on how tight it was and having to bend my head down. There is not much room in the back if you have a large person up front. Very tight.

This is surprising, I will take my sons, both of whom are over 6 foot, to a Lincoln Showroom and verify this for myself.

19 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is surprising, I will take my sons, both of whom are over 6 foot, to a Lincoln Showroom and verify this for myself.

Let me know how it goes, I would be interested.

Cadillacs... or the  CTSV that I purchased makes me feel a lot like I'm driving my Stingray.. but better. cause it has more space, more comfort, a more prestigious name, and all the trimmings that go with luxo. In truth.. and I've been schooling U for like.. 4ever.. the market is what drives sales. Cadillac sales aren't on top of the segment because they lack the proper product in all corners that the competition from Germany and Lexus are offerings..: Crossovers. Its even evident in what is selling at CADILLAC. This BS that some kick is ridiculous. A luxury name does not have to be a one-shot pony. No way no how. The CTS and ATS are selling in limited numbers yes.. but that also has to do with their available options and historic market penetration. Comparing them to the 3/4 series and E-Class is ridiculous.. as they have been around for a thousand years. The CTS, while in its 3rd Generation literally leaped segments.. and is essentially an STS. The CT6 has done quite well tho. The idiots continue to be employed at Motor Trend should get their head outta their tails and realize that just because the CT6 and Continental are similar in size and closer to intro in production.. does not mean the XTS is not around. That car is an exact match to the Continental, is a sales champ, and has had better reviews than the Lincoln.. yet suddenly because the timeline.. it gets looked over for the way more expensive CT6 when speaking of the Continental.

Hey Motor Trend. I hope your readers sees your crock of sh+.. and then take it on your word to go out and buy a Continental over the CT6.. foolishly get into some sort of performance brawl with the Caddy.. only to have their tails lopped off and fed to them in their dim-witted mouths

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

foolishly get into some sort of performance brawl with the Caddy..

Exactly what Lincoln doesn't give a crap about and they made it loud and clear they aren't making a sports car. MT has never said that it is some kind of sports car either so I'm not sure why you're saying people will "take their word" to buy the Lincoln to try and line up against a CT6. 

• Agree 2

On 12/12/2016 at 10:40 PM, Suaviloquent said:

You misunderstand, I wasn't equating it with the XTS to shill for Cadillac. I'm pointing out that both cars bear the same limitations, and yet the XTS is almost universally seen in negative light.

Even with its turbo V6, magnetic ride, advanced AWD, and wood-trimmed interior, the XTS is still a maxed-out mainstream sedan. It doesn't touch the engineering behind the CT6 or other large luxury cars. I think we all agree the only interesting XTS is the 410 hp V-Sport, and still we'd all rather spend that money elsewhere.

When the novelty of the new Continental wears off, all that's left is a wood-trimmed mainstream sedan for real luxury money.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

When the novelty of the new Continental wears off, all that's left is a wood-trimmed mainstream sedan for real luxury money.

Exactly my point...when the newness of this wears off....

7 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I think we all agree the only interesting XTS is the 410 hp V-Sport, and still we'd all rather spend that money elsewhere.

Exactly correct!

• Agree 1

Actually, Car and Driver rated the continental 12th, behind even Volvo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/lincoln/continental

From the article;

"But the car, despite its sales having begun already, is not yet fully finished. A few rough edges indicate that Lincoln is not quite ready to beat Lexus or the German luxury triumvirate, and it even has its hands full with the hard-charging Genesis sub-brand of Hyundai. "

So lets stop dancing on the 50 yard line and claiming Lincoln has made it as a top tier luxury car when in many ways, it hasn't....

Also from the C and D review....

The six-speed automatic transmission proved another rough spot. It can shift at odd times, and often it doesn’t work transparently, especially on mid-throttle roll-offs from the line. Occasionally it lurched into second gear as if the car were hiccuping; once, it seemed to disconnect from the engine completely for half a second, then slammed into gear as if the car had been rear-ended, eliciting a startled gasp from both driver and passenger. We’re guessing that more elegant powertrain calibrations will roll out over time as buyer feedback comes in.

One would expect better from a luxury car...certainly Acura and Infinity do not face this issue....

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Also for consideration....

"The Conti’s stiff ride is perhaps why the center console of one of our cars developed a persistent itching squeak somewhere around the clutter bin. When informed of this, an attending engineer just sighed, indicating that despite what have been (for Ford) obsessive efforts to mitigate squeaks and rattles, it remains a dogging issue in the early cars out of the Continental’s Flat Rock, Michigan, assembly plant."

hmmm...Every 5, 10, 15 year old Lexus I ride in is still quiet and nicely bolted together....

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)

CT6 and Continental are offered in nearly identical physical sizes, displacement, twin turbos, AWD, power configurations and even price.

Claiming they barely compete…..because of engine placement….is just trolling for arguments.

They compete exactly.  Customers have no idea and will never weigh either differentiation.

In fact, there is more mechanical difference with a Mustang GT with it’s OHC architecture vs a pushrod Camaro, and these customers are typically well versed in the minutia of engineering differences….so should we conclude they don’t compete either?  Ridiculous, I know.

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Exactly what Lincoln doesn't give a crap about and they made it loud and clear they aren't making a sports car. MT has never said that it is some kind of sports car either so I'm not sure why you're saying people will "take their word" to buy the Lincoln to try and line up against a CT6. 

Maybe.. and perhaps U were only reading the excerpt that was posted on this topic.. but I read the article.. and quite frankly Motor Trend believes that a effin Odyssey is " kinda sports car" the way they test and bellow over performance constantly

Quote: 

Four hundred horses and four wheels clawing at the asphalt sounds like a recipe for explosive acceleration, but the Continental is more of a swift and controlled sprinter. Our tester recorded 0–60 mph in 5.4 seconds, slightly better than Lincoln’s estimate (5.5 seconds) and respectable considering its 4,550-pound curb weight. Beyond 60 mph, the Continental eagerly charges ahead to the quarter-mile mark in 13.8 seconds at 101.3 mph.

The then go on to say:

The Continental fares well against some of its competition in straight-line performance, including a few bogies that also pack twin-turbo six-cylinders. Cross-town rival Cadillac offers its CT6 with a 404-hp 3.0-liter V-6 and AWD, and a look back at our test of that vehicle revealed a slightly quicker 0–60 time of 5.1 seconds, likely because it weighs less (by 161 pounds) and is equipped with a quick-shifting eight-speed auto. 

I don't have the time to do a word count, but I'm willing to bet that they spent more time typing about PERFORMANCE than they did COMFORT. If I'm wrong.. its only by a few words.

Also.. I scanned the article and not once did they even mention the XTS as a competitor.. despite the FACT that it remains a competent, higher selling, and similar, if not identical layout. Its even HIGHER IN COST than the Continental, yet still about $9K less than the CT6. So why bother with that comparison? 

So.. I said what I said because its what MT does. They pit everything from a Prius  up against a Vette to a 599GTB versus a F150. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Wings4Life said:

CT6 and Continental are offered in nearly identical physical sizes, displacement, twin turbos, AWD, power configurations and even price.

Claiming they barely compete…..because of engine placement….is just trolling for arguments.

They compete exactly.  Customers have no idea and will never weigh either differentiation.

In fact, there is more mechanical difference with a Mustang GT with it’s OHC architecture vs a pushrod Camaro, and these customers are typically well versed in the minutia of engineering differences….so should we conclude they don’t compete either?  Ridiculous, I know.

It's different types of luxury, the Continental being more of a soft quiet luxury.  It's the $800 trip to the Day Spa which all about pampering and relaxation. 

The CT6 is definitely more sport oriented, particularly with the 4-wheel-steering. It is David Beckham in a crisp, expensive slim fit business suit made from fine materials. 

Both will go with gusto, but in very different ways.

And there is no "better", only a "prefer".  I tend to prefer the soft pampering luxury, but can certainly appreciate the harder edges of the CT6. 

And you're right, it has nothing to do with which orientation the engine sits. 

• Agree 2

I trust Car and Driver and Road and track far more than I trust Motor Trend, FWIW.

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I

The CT6 is definitely more sport oriented, particularly with the 4-wheel-steering. It is David Beckham in a crisp, expensive slim fit business suit made from fine materials. 

...and at the CT6 price point, it is knocking on the back door of the S class...I like it but were I a luxury buyer I would find it hard to justify the price.

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I trust Car and Driver and Road and track far more than I trust Motor Trend, FWIW.

...and at the CT6 price point, it is knocking on the back door of the S class...I like it but were I a luxury buyer I would find it hard to justify the price.

A loaded CT6 knocking on the door of a base S-Class isn't really a fair comparison for the Benz.  You won't be getting any of the advanced technology at that level. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

A loaded CT6 knocking on the door of a base S-Class isn't really a fair comparison for the Benz.  You won't be getting any of the advanced technology at that level. 

Probably true, but the CT6 seems awful pricey for what it is. But then again, I am not a luxury car buyer.

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Probably true, but the CT6 seems awful pricey for what it is. But then again, I am not a luxury car buyer.

When you look at the spec sheet of a CT6 that is priced similarly to an S-Class... then you'll see why the CT6 is a bargain.... as far as that sort of luxury car goes. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

When you look at the spec sheet of a CT6 that is priced similarly to an S-Class... then you'll see why the CT6 is a bargain.... as far as that sort of luxury car goes. 

At some point I need to go to Pittsburgh for a few things, would love to pick your brain on a few things over lunch.

Certainly the market is reacting well to Cadillac, sales are finally starting to reflect their efforts...

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
37 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's different types of luxury, the Continental being more of a soft quiet luxury.  It's the $800 trip to the Day Spa which all about pampering and relaxation. 

Both will go with gusto, but in very different ways.

And there is no "better", only a "prefer".  I tend to prefer the soft pampering luxury, but can certainly appreciate the harder edges of the CT6. 

And you're right, it has nothing to do with which orientation the engine sits. 

So you think customers will split into two lines, one being a canyon carver and the other a soft luxury ride?

You clearly have not driven  both.  And if you have, you are just wrong.  Throw both top shelf cars on any highway, they are nearly identical.  Throw them both on a track, which nobody will ever do, and they are marginally identical there too.

Pretty simple really.

1 minute ago, Wings4Life said:

So you think customers will split into two lines, one being a canyon carver and the other a soft luxury ride?

You clearly have not driven  both.  And if you have, you are just wrong.  Throw both top shelf cars on any highway, they are nearly identical.  Throw them both on a track, which nobody will ever do, and they are marginally identical there too.

Pretty simple really.

I think customers already do split into two lines.  Lexus LS and BMW 7-series both sell and both have very different attitudes. 

• Agree 3

Guest Wings4Life(BANNED)
16 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I think customers already do split into two lines.  Lexus LS and BMW 7-series both sell and both have very different attitudes. 

So you agree then, differentiating based on orientation of the engine and/or track aptitude has absolutely zero to do with how these vehicles are classified.  They directly compete. The fact that they have other sedans that may or may not compete a bit closer, means squat.  They still compete.

And oh btw, one is already outselling the other.

39 minutes ago, Wings4Life said:

So you agree then, differentiating based on orientation of the engine and/or track aptitude has absolutely zero to do with how these vehicles are classified.  They directly compete. The fact that they have other sedans that may or may not compete a bit closer, means squat.  They still compete.

And oh btw, one is already outselling the other.

They compete the same way an ATS 3.6 and an ES350 compete.... but sure.... if that makes you feel better.... they compete on that level of being in the same general price class.

And again....

Continental Taxis

So I take the sales numbers of the Continental with a giant grain of fleet salt. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

...and Lexus beat BMW into the #2 sales slot in the US market....

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Agree completely.....both of them are also genuine flagships with a loyal following...

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

You took that line as them saying it is sporty???? 

Yes, I did read the whole article and nothing in it even insinuated that it was sporty. 

More telling is the C and D article Frisky Dingo previously quoted in another thread that panned the suspension tuning on the MKZ.  Not considering the conti really sporty....acceleration does not equal athleticism in a car.

6 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

They compete the same way an ATS 3.6 and an ES350 compete.... but sure.... if that makes you feel better.... they compete on that level of being in the same general price class.

And again....

Continental Taxis

So I take the sales numbers of the Continental with a giant grain of fleet salt. 

Quoted for truth....

...and again....if we are using sales stats....at the end of November, Lincoln did not crack 100,000 in sales...compared with Infinity at 120,000 roughly, Acura with 144,000 (roughly) Cadillac with 148,000 (roughly) BMW almost 200,000 units ahead of Lincoln at 280,000, Lexus ahead of them at almost 300,000, and Benz with a whopping 338,000 cars....

Audi is posting consistent sales gains and is pushing almost double the number of Lincoln at 187,000 cars.....

So yes, the non fleeted conti's are a nice conquest but a drop in the bucket. 

• Agree 2

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

...and Lexus beat BMW into the #2 sales slot in the US market....

Everyone around here wants cars and brands to be some sort of team sport.  It really isn't.  Cars today, with few exceptions, are excellent at what they do and anything left is primarily nit-picking.  I like the Continental and I like the CT6.  I hit the powerball tomorrow and I could see both in my driveway simultaneously with a Chrysler 300C Platinum hemi thrown in just to get the trifecta.   Why?  Because I Cars.  I'm not worried about which one gets me to the grocery store faster because even a Corolla would do the job.  There really is no more "better".... it's all just preference. If one sells more than the other (regardless of fleet or not), it just means that more people prefer one over the other for any multitude of reasons.  Some people prefer Avocados.... I personally really dislike them..... my parents on the other hand bought an Avocado plantation a few years ago. My opinion of Avocados  or the sales of Avocado in general makes no difference on how good or bad they are. The LS and 7-Series are both excellent choices in that market, but personally, I'd go with neither.  I think the Genesis G90 would get my dollars before either of those two and certainly the Lincoln or Cadillac above that.... but that's just my opinion.

I'm driving a V6 300C this week in Houston and loving it.... No it's not on the same level as the Conti or the CT6... but it's still big, good, American iron.  It moves well, rides comfortably, and looks good. Just plain fun.  

Guys, we're here because we love cars.  If you want to root for sports teams, there are plenty of places on the web for that. 

• Agree 3