A Thing Happened Today

ccap41

Some broad blew through a red light as I had a green. Plowed her going 40-45mph. Luckily both parties were okay aaaand I had a witness who was behind her and saw her blow the light. 

Good night Roxy, you treated me well. 

I apologize for the sideways pictures.. they're not sideways on my phone. I even tried rotating them and saving them.. 

IMG_3301.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

IMG_3302.JPG

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3305.PNG

IMG_3306.PNG

She definitely did do her job. 

But after all of those times I've ragged on government forcing stupid safety regulations and over looking crash ratings.. I have to tip my cap to Ford and the ole Govnt. Just a sore back and walked away from it. 

I also didn't realize I had knee air bags..neat.

Guest William

Just be sure to watch your back over the next several weeks and don't sign anything with the insurance company until you are sure you have no further issues

My son thought he was fine with minor back injuries after an accident, and then spent the better part of a year in physical therapy.

And you have my deepest condolences on Roxy.  Last time I was in a Ford dealer they had one silver like that, sweetly detailed and smiling at me as I walked by.  She was quite a looker, right up until the very end....

• Agree 2

Damn, dude. That sucks.

Glad you're okay. You should have gone to get checked out afterwards. Far too often signs of serious injury don't really manifest until hours later or maybe even the next day. It's far better to be safe than it is sorry. Especially if it's not your fault. If nothing else, they probably would give you some muscle relaxers and good pain meds to help you through the next few days. The next day is always the worst. You'll be feeling it tomorrow, trust me.

Make sure you give us reviews of your rental. :D

Shyyyyte dude!!!

Im sorry to hear of your accident. And that was a biiiig accident. It looks like a severe impact even though both vehicles saved the lives of all parties involved.

Im sure glad you are alright though.

Roxy is a goner though. I guess. That sucks as I was happy that you were a Ford owner. Hopefully you get your ass in another Ford???!!!

To tell you the truth, I dont like the new face of the Escape. I much prefer Roxy's.

Then again, the Edge is one beauty of an SUV. That face looks awesome on the Edge.

Then there is the new Fusion. 2.7Ecoboost. I can hear it calling your name.

PS: Ford is an official sponsor of our beloved Dallas Cowboys...

Image result for dallas cowboys sponsors

54 minutes ago, Stew said:

Dude that sucks, but you are okay and that is the important thing.  THought I was going to get it today myself when a car decided to use a turn lane to pass me (they had to be doing 70+ in a 45) on a 2 lane with traffic coming the other direction. 

Jesus. Some people are just ridiculous. That's pretty scary. 

18 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Shyyyyte dude!!!

Im sorry to hear of your accident. And that was a biiiig accident. It looks like a severe impact even though both vehicles saved the lives of all parties involved.

Im sure glad you are alright though.

Roxy is a goner though. I guess. That sucks as I was happy that you were a Ford owner. Hopefully you get your ass in another Ford???!!!

To tell you the truth, I dont like the new face of the Escape. I much prefer Roxy's.

Then again, the Edge is one beauty of an SUV. That face looks awesome on the Edge.

Then there is the new Fusion. 2.7Ecoboost. I can hear it calling your name.

PS: Ford is an official sponsor of our beloved Dallas Cowboys...

Image result for dallas cowboys sponsors

Haha yes Ford does have their name on "our" stadium! 

I'm usually fine getting an opportunity to buy another car but I was actually really content with what I had and I was just trying to pay her off so I could buy a second vehicle as a toy.. and trying to eliminate debt to buy a house more importantly. 

The car definitely did its job. Again, I've always given companies a hard time in gaining weight and adding bull$h! safety stuff..but it might have just saved two lives or at the very least injuries. I walked away scratchless. Just a little sore. 

Nooooo clue what I want to replace her with yet. Sometimes I think cheap and owe very little and pay it off quick then other times I still want an ATS 2.0T. Which isn't expensive but I'd still borrow 15k most likely, depending what their insurance company gives me. 

I'd LOVE and MKC 2.3 in their deep purple but those are still 25-28k. The perfect vehicle would be a Chevy SS or a JGC SRT. VEEEEEE EEIIIGGGHTTTTT! No coupes.. not yet in life. Maybe a focus ST but I'm not sure if I want to daily a manual trans again(lazy...I know). GTI is a sweet car. A buddy of mine has a '12 GTI with the DSG and love it. Frisky loves his as well. Sounds kind of dumb but laying the .50-.70 premium for premium gas negates all fuel savings of the small car though..

I feel so clueless now that I have an opportunity to get something else. Lol 

we need a dream garage thread for 15-20k cars. LOL

This one is $24,xxx with 54k miles. 

Roxy was about a week away from creating 60,000 miles. 

IMG_3314.PNG

IMG_3315.PNG

You owe money on it....

That sucks. I hope you get enough insurance money from her that you could pay her off. There was a thread a couple of days ago about being upside down....so buy cheap to pay off quickly...

You are still young, you got time...you could buy that car you always wanted later on in life.

Yeah yeah...YOLO.

Hey...its not as if you didnt own a killer Mustang just a few years ago. LOL

You are a fit young lad, I assume. You still have a life time ahead of you...make the right financial choices now, and you will be laughing all the way to the bank later...PATIENCE is what humanity needs to re-learn today.

Hey...if all things go our way...we live until 80...make right financial decisions now and enjoy your toys at 50...

Like I said, Im assuming you are a fit young lad...at 50 you probably would still look and feel like you are 30...

Catch my drift?

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

PSS:

I reread what I wrote...I did not want to sound like a condescending prick when I referred to you as still owning money on it and it sucking...

What I meant was, that it sucked you getting into a car accident and totalling your car BEFORE you got a chance to pay her off...

With that being said...buy yourself a car/cuv/suv that fits your family needs now that does not stray far off from what you originally had as a plan when you bought your FORD....Escape...

And yes....house budget and house money for mortgage comes waaaay before extravagant car purchases...whether its a Cadillac ATS or VW GTI...

Get yourself another Escape...new or used or that $24 000 used Lincoln, if that Lincoln does not break your bank account for your house plans that you had...

8 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

Oy, not cool.  Take as much time as you can figuring out what you want to move on to.  I kept my rebound car 3 munts and I bought it brand new.

Sound advice!!!

Oh I owe way less than I'll get. I owe 9300-9500. I know I'll get more than that, easily. Just is it enough to get something I want..? Last I looked it "booked" for 15-16k. 

Oh olds, I definitely didn't think you meant anything in a condescending way. I knew what you mean/meant. 

Which is why it sucks I just totaled it because I was doing well paying it off quickly. And now I'll likely end up with less car for similar money.. 

AH, the old C&G Curse strikes again. Credit to the crash structures and safety systems modern cars have though. The passenger compartment looks undamaged, the crash structure absorbed all of the impact.

Now if you (or that Caravan driver) had been in a Chevy Venture for example...

1 hour ago, Intrepidation said:

AH, the old C&G Curse strikes again. Credit to the crash structures and safety systems modern cars have though. The passenger compartment looks undamaged, the crash structure absorbed all of the impact.

Now if you (or that Caravan driver) had been in a Chevy Venture for example...

Jeeeeeez! Exactly why I'm so impressed with how far safety has come. 

17 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

For the love all things sacred, do NOT buy another soulless CUV. You're a young single male, for krisesakes.

Yeah I have noooo clue what I want to get to replace the ole girl. 

My short list has consisted of: ATS 2.0T, MKC(they're a little more pricey still), GTI mk7, Focus ST, ILX, CX5 and Mazda 3 possibly.. all depends what the insurance company will give me though. I owe 9300-9500 yet. If you feel the want to sell your GTI..let me know.. lol 

6 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah I have noooo clue what I want to get to replace the ole girl. 

My short list has consisted of: ATS 2.0T, MKC(they're a little more pricey still), GTI mk7, Focus ST, ILX, CX5 and Mazda 3 possibly.. all depends what the insurance company will give me though. I owe 9300-9500 yet. If you feel the want to sell your GTI..let me know.. lol 

Come see me, I'll whore out a GTI for you. I can sell you a new one for less than I'd need for mine, lol.

I think you would love the new Sport. Has Performance Pkg and Lighting Pkg standard, unique wheels, etc. If I were buying one over again, I'd get a Sport.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

26 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Come see me, I'll whore out a GTI for you. I can sell you a new one for less than I'd need for mine, lol.

I think you would love the new Sport. Has Performance Pkg and Lighting Pkg standard, unique wheels, etc. If I were buying one over again, I'd get a Sport.

I absolutely want the lighting package. What's included in the performance package? Aaaaaand, most importantly, what do these cost..?

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

I absolutely want the lighting package. What's included in the performance package? Aaaaaand, most importantly, what do these cost..?

The Sport is new for MY '17.

It's essentially an 'S' model w/ Push-to-Start/Keyless Entry added, htd cloth plaid seats, Lighting Pkg standard, and Perf Pkg standard. Perf Pkg is the (claimed) 10hp bump, upgraded (Golf R) brakes, and E-LSD. The only drawback to Sport is no foglights, but that's a pretty minor deal.

As for cost, a 6MT Sport will MSRP for 29 and change, $1,100 more for a DSG car. But there's incentives on them, and if you were interested, I'll net-net one out for you. They have Sign and Drive going right now, too. No first payment or fees on leases through the end of the month. Though I know you're at the mercy of the insurance mostly regarding your timeline. 

Edited by Frisky Dingo

3 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

The Sport is new for MY '17.

It's essentially an 'S' model w/ Push-to-Start/Keyless Entry added, htd cloth plaid seats, Lighting Pkg standard, and Perf Pkg standard. Perf Pkg is the (claimed) 10hp bump, upgraded (Golf R) brakes, and E-LSD. The only drawback to Sport is no foglights, but that's a pretty minor deal.

As for cost, a 6MT Sport will MSRP for 29 and change, $1,100 more for a DSG car. But there's incentives on them, and if you were interested, I'll net-net one out for you. They have Sign and Drive going right now, too. No first payment or fees on leases through the end of the month. Though I know you're at the mercy of the insurance mostly regarding your timeline. 

Shet.  That would be pretty perfect(save for the fog lights because I love those but I could manage without).  It's likely more than I could spend at 29-30k though. What dealership are you working at now? I'm off work today and tomorrow and may make a trip that way tomorrow. 

Edited by ccap41

41 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Shet.  That would be pretty perfect(save for the fog lights because I love those but I could manage without).  It's likely more than I could spend at 29-30k though. What dealership are you working at now? I'm off work today and tomorrow and may make a trip that way tomorrow. 

Realistically, you can expect 3K + off. I might be able to manage more for you. I'm at Dean Team VW in Kirkwood. We're right on Manchester just a little east of Lindbergh/Hwy 61.

If nothing else, stop buy to check out the cool shit we got on our showroom right now- Cayman GT4, Aston Vantage V12 S 7MT, Ferrari California T, Maserati Gran Turismo MC, Tesla Model X, etc. If the weather is decent, my boss may drive his new 488 in.

Edited by Frisky Dingo
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Stew said:

Be careful CCap, once the VW DNA is in your blood it has you hooked and the effect is even worse with any sport Golf :)  Talked to a guy on Christmas Eve who has a nice new Golf R and told me about all the GTis he had previously :)

Hahaha so I've heard.. one friend of mine won't own anything NOT VW and my other friend has a mk6 GTI and has said it's the best vehicle he's owned and loves everything VW now because of it.  

• Agree 1

Saw this a little late...glad you are okay Cap!

Having a family and seeing just how well it held up may even push me over to the other blue side....though I think the Nox would do good too! 

It's kinda following the Escape guys (like you 8)) that has really peaked my interest in one, plus I love the update it got this year, Though in my case, I like them simple (then add what I want)-so for me it would just be a base S model.......

And nothing wrong with VW....just in my case I need bigger!

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 9:55 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

Any update for us @ccap41??

Well... Their insurance company checked out the Escape last week and did indeed total her out, as expected. They offered me $18,700 for the car + $1,215 for taxes + $120 for registration and plate transfer = $20,040 for my Escape. I owe $9,243.xx.  Which is honestly way more than I expected from an insurance company. I expected them to really put it to me but maybe because I'm the innocent party they just want to make peace with me and maintain their good name because they have been really nice and open with me this whole time.

I'm all sorts of torn on what I want to get.. When I picked up my POS Yaris rental last Wednesday in O'Fallon, IL I stopped at the Mazda dealer and drove a CX-5 and the VW dealer to just drive a mk7 GTI. I loved them both.. But the more I think about it the more I think I will buy something cheap, own it either immediately or within the year(really small loan). With that.. I've been pondering the ideas of Cruze LTZs and Fiesta Titaniums. Spending in the 12-15k range and even less if I find a hella deal. I know that I still want options/features in the vehicle which is why I'm looking at LTZ/Titaniums and I'm afraid that a Fiesta will be too small and I will get sick of it.

I came across the idea of smaller, fuel efficient, and owing it because I'm looking at houses and I don't make a ton of money and going from my Escape payments to either of these and owing them will save me around $350/month(275 payment). Also paying in that range they've also depreciated a large chunk already so that's a good thing to get that out of the way... But then I also see that there is an ATS 2.0T AWD Performance for $22,300 with miles under 30,000 and I kind of want that too..

..I know it would be a great freakin' driver's car but the lack of space if/when I'm a homeowner is when there becomes a problem because the backseat and trunk are..small. I know I'm also looking at small cars but they're cheaper(less room for depreciation) and/or hatchbacks that have great utility.

21 minutes ago, ykX said:

You can get slightly used Mazda 3 hatchback for up to $15k.  More room then Fiesta, plenty practical and fun.

Maybe it is just my area but I can't find a '14+(current gen) for shet. That was originally one of my top choices because I love Mazda's styling and they're sporty-ish for an economy car but there just isn't anything really available in my area of the current gen and I am looking more fully loaded. There are a couple " i Sport " or " I Touring" available but they're pretty stripped down or brand new and I'm just not taking the depreciation hit of a brand new vehicle.

1 minute ago, FordCosworth said:

Focus ST

Go for the Focus over the Mazda, after my 8 days, 7 nights with a Mazda CX-9 in Hawaii, I give the Mazda CUV's a D-. Reliable point a to b transportation but everything else about the auto's fail. 

Writing up my review to post in members reviews of auto's for this week. 

Focus is a better auto for you than the Mazda CUVs.

@FordCosworth ST is either out of my "cheaper" price range(or too high of miles) or if I'm spending 20k I'd be in a mk7 GTI.

@dfelt I've only heard atrocious things about the Focus's transmission and that is the ONLY real reason I've been avoiding it.

@ykX Yeah, no shet. I really like the look and design of the Mazda3 and the size and hatch are spot on for what I want/feel like I need.

If you're looking at the Focus and Cruze, you should test drive a used Buick Verano. Those a extremely nice compact cars. 180 horsepower, 6-speed auto, great interior, and the best quiet tuning of any car that size.

Won't be breaking the bank at all, you could probably find a new 2016 straggler at $20k well equipped. Just food for thought, if something cheap to own is still on your mind. Course, some people don't like how they look. They seem to be growing on me, personally.