Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

A Thing Happened Today

ccap41

12 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

If you're looking at the Focus and Cruze, you should test drive a used Buick Verano. Those a extremely nice compact cars. 180 horsepower, 6-speed auto, great interior, and the best quiet tuning of any car that size.

Won't be breaking the bank at all, you could probably find a new 2016 straggler at $20k well equipped. Just food for thought, if something cheap to own is still on your mind. Course, some people don't like how they look. They seem to be growing on me, personally.

I'll give them a shot. I'm not opposed to anything yet. Their looks are "okay" in my books but not much that I'm looking at really strikes me as attractive other than an ATS or GTI.

1 hour ago, frogger said:

I'm trying to figure out what a Mazda CX9 has to do with comparing a Focus to a Mazda3.

Simple, he started off with saying he had stopped and test drove a CX5. I have been in all 3 of the CUVs and they all have big problems that i have come across and now that i finally spent a week in a CX9, I can say that I would never recommend the Mazda CUVs to anyone. Way too many problems which I will cover when I do my write up on my week rental of the CX9.

I missed the comments about a Mazda 3.

16 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I'll give them a shot. I'm not opposed to anything yet. Their looks are "okay" in my books but not much that I'm looking at really strikes me as attractive other than an ATS or GTI.

How about a Verano Turbo?  :)  You can Fusion Titaniums with AWD and the 2.0T EB for very good prices (well into the teens).  I would run away very quickly from the Fiesta as well as the Focus unless you are after the manual.  Oddly enough all my coworkers that bought either a Fiesta or Focus (and in 1 case both) are now driving Camrys.  If room is important I would be wary of the pre 15 Cruze as I found it pretty cramped (not been in a Verano so i don't know if they are any roomier or not, but TURBO 2.0 lol.   

14 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Honda Fit EX manual!

I wish I knew other companies package levels like I do Ford and GM.. like I know I want a Titanium Ford or an LTZ Chevy.. It looks like EX-L is Honda's top package but it also seems like it hasn't been that way for too long.

I'll check'm out.

19 minutes ago, Stew said:

How about a Verano Turbo?  :)  You can Fusion Titaniums with AWD and the 2.0T EB for very good prices (well into the teens).  I would run away very quickly from the Fiesta as well as the Focus unless you are after the manual.  Oddly enough all my coworkers that bought either a Fiesta or Focus (and in 1 case both) are now driving Camrys.  If room is important I would be wary of the pre 15 Cruze as I found it pretty cramped (not been in a Verano so i don't know if they are any roomier or not, but TURBO 2.0 lol.   

Those are hard to find.. But it does sound almost perfect with the power, luxury, and MANUAL for that kind of car.

Room isn't crazy important but I think I would like a hatch for the versatility of being able to lay the back seats down and then basically having a little CUV again.

I know what you mean about the rarity of a Verano Turbo.  i actually searched for them when i was looking and they were few and far between and didn't find a sinle manual.  I understand what you mean about the hatchback versatility.  i loved the all the room and cargo I could hold in my Patriot and the bu has a surprising amount of interior room and cargo ability for it's size thanks to being a hatch. 

Hatches just plain rock in my world. I just hate that there is a premium for them over their sedan stable mates.

Honestly, all I wanted was a mk7 Golf but there are very few(way more GTIs to be found which I thought was off. I'm assuming a very large chunk of Golf sales were TDIs) and half of the handful I've found are 2 door, which I don't want.

Edit: Oh, or they are the station wagon version...which I also don't want. I'd take an Alltrack but those are only 2017's and there aren't used ones out yet.

Edited by ccap41

Sounds like you just need to decide between something cheap and practical, or something more costly and fun to drive. Tough decision; I've been there before. I always went the latter way. :D

Btw, I've got some new Golf Wolfsburgs. MSRP for 23K, have htd leather, sunroof, driver assist, etc. The hot ticket would be a 16 SE or SEL. Could likely find you one of those, too.

Edited by Frisky Dingo

15 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Reasoning? Is it anything other than the DCT?

Yes-The DCT. It's a piece....there is no way around it. You know it's bad when the folks who work at the plant tell you to get a stick........

Don't get me wrong- I don't hate the car. I love the look of the hatch, and enjoy the way it drives. Barring the DCT, one hatch would already be in my driveway. I got the chance to borrow a 16 hatch for a little while, and guess what- it still acts up!!! These DCTs really frown upon city driving.....it's not as bad with it is on the freeway. And no matter what they do, there really does not seem to be a long term fix. And it's even worse for those who do not know how to drive a DCT......

Now, if you get a stick- enjoy the ride......8)

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Sounds like you just need to decide between something cheap and practical, or something more costly and fun to drive. Tough decision; I've been there before. I always went the latter way. :D

Btw, I've got some new Golf Wolfsburgs. MSRP for 23K, have htd leather, sunroof, driver assist, etc. The hot ticket would be a 16 SE or SEL. Could likely find you one of those, too.

Yeah I think I'm going to be going the cheap and practical route as my priorities don't need to be in a car right now..

That car would be spot on had it been 8k cheaper.. I couldn't find shet for SEL's used or hardly any 4 door mk7 Golfs.

7 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yes-The DCT. It's a piece....there is no way around it. You know it's bad when the folks who work at the plant tell you to get a stick........

Don't get me wrong- I don't hate the car. I love the look of the hatch, and enjoy the way it drives. Barring the DCT, one hatch would already be in my driveway. I got the chance to borrow a 16 hatch for a little while, and guess what- it still acts up!!! These DCTs really frown upon city driving.....it's not as bad with it is on the freeway. And no matter what they do, there really does not seem to be a long term fix. And it's even worse for those who do not know how to drive a DCT......

Now, if you get a stick- enjoy the ride......8)

Yeah that's really the ONLY downside I've ever read about in that car. I'm going to try and drive one to give it a little test for myself. As long as there aren't any durability issues with it, it can't be that bad, right...? lol

I may have to youtube some videos about their DCT.

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah I think I'm going to be going the cheap and practical route as my priorities don't need to be in a car right now..

That car would be spot on had it been 8k cheaper.. I couldn't find shet for SEL's used or hardly any 4 door mk7 Golfs.

Yeah that's really the ONLY downside I've ever read about in that car. I'm going to try and drive one to give it a little test for myself. As long as there aren't any durability issues with it, it can't be that bad, right...? lol

I may have to youtube some videos about their DCT.

There are durability issues though.  My one friend had to have his replaced around 40k and after it was going out again at 99k is when he got rid of it.  Know a few others with similar stories.  riving a stick isn't bad everyday, especially these modern ones haha. 

On 1/3/2017 at 4:57 PM, ccap41 said:

The nice thing about the Verano is that they depreciate so fast you could get a really nice used Turbo model for cheap. 

Example kinda near you. You'd have it 50% paid off just from your settlement. 

And the turbos are far far better drivers than anyone ever gave them credit for.  You want great power with a touch of Euro handling for cheap... there's your car. 

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

No way would I pay 20K for a Verano when there are GTI's out there for about the same money.

Would never touch a VW product, too small, chealy made materials and just blah. GTI's are over rated IMHO.

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would never touch a VW product, too small, chealy made materials and just blah. GTI's are over rated IMHO.

You can't knock A Golf for being too small and accept the Verano for its size. They're both compact cars.

Definitely not cheaply made materials in a GTI. I can't speak for their longevity and all around reliability but they have less hard plastics inside than most in its respective class.

16 minutes ago, dfelt said:

You have no clue what you are talking about. A GTI shames a Verano from a material and fit and finish standpoint. And we won't even get into driving dynamics. Even a standard Golf is head-and-shoulders better.

• Agree 2

It was just another option.  The Verano has more power and a slightly more premium feel due to the quiet of the interior. I'd put the GTI ahead on the material quality in some spots, but not all.  The Verano isn't as sporty as the GTI, but still fairly sporty and has a comfort level the GTI won't match. Getting CPO Verano with the warranty pushed out to 100k miles isn't a bad deal either.  Neither are bad choices.... It just comes down to preference.

5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The nice thing about the Verano is that they depreciate so fast you could get a really nice used Turbo model for cheap. 

Example kinda near you. You'd have it 50% paid off just from your settlement. 

And the turbos are far far better drivers than anyone ever gave them credit for.  You want great power with a touch of Euro handling for cheap... there's your car. 

I'd agree....and a great color to boot....

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It was just another option.  The Verano has more power and a slightly more premium feel due to the quiet of the interior. I'd put the GTI ahead on the material quality in some spots, but not all.  The Verano isn't as sporty as the GTI, but still fairly sporty and has a comfort level the GTI won't match. Getting CPO Verano with the warranty pushed out to 100k miles isn't a bad deal either.  Neither are bad choices.... It just comes down to preference.

Also thinking the Verano would be more trip friendly as well....would be my choice of the two.8)

• Agree 1

There is a suspension tuning difference between the Verano base and Verano Turbo. So just because you've driven a 2.4 doesn't mean you know the tuning of the 2.0t.  Again I'm not saying it's GTI levels, but it's a lot better than people give the Verano credit for because they're just assuming base and turbo are the same suspension....They're not.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Huge problem:  the Verano is not a hatchback.

Yeah I think for the versatility I'm kind of stuck on hatchbacks.. Plus they look sporty!

I think I'm going to try and drive a couple small hatches this weekend in a Focus and actually a Sonic(Titanium and RS/LTZ, respectively).

Numbers-wise, a Verano Turbo is exactly what I'd like. 

Here's one that is a little more up my alley.

'14 Verano Turbo

I've driven plenty of Verano Turbos over the years. They're okay. They're marginally quieter and more comfortable than a GTI perhaps, but there is still a big gap in the performance and fun-to-drive factors.

As for reliability, well, it seems some here are giving the Cruze/Verano more credit than they are due. I'll leave it at that.