Jump to content
  • Greetings Guest!

    CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Ford News: Ford Cancels Plans For Mexico Plant, Invest $700M At Flat Rock, and More

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

Better get to your safe spaces and hug your emotional support puppies....

I love how you think criticism of the man makes one a liberal who needs such silly things. Remember, this is the same man who said he would have contested any result that didn't end up in a victory for him. Who was asking for a safe space then?

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

Sorry but I do not take the talking points from the left seriously. 

There is not a business man who has not had to make good and bad decisions while conducting business. Hell GM has laid off how many workers and went bankrupt.

Again with as many business ventures he has entered into and the many damaged business he bought to try to fix or even the hotels he built in Atlantic City at great risk you will always have a change they may not work out. 

Funny how Warren Buffet has also failed over the years but the left forgets that. Odd how many of the green industry have taken government funds and failed in bankruptcy but the left tends to think that ok.

At this point he is elected. He was not my first choice but I am willing to let the man make it or not on his own merits. I never thought he would get elected and he did. He so far has done more before taking office than any president in my life time and maybe history.  i know what we had was not working and was a very corrupt system and I hope this is a wake up call for both sides.  

Now we have an out going president that is sabotaging things which to me is unethical and to the point the decision made on Israel will at come point lead to a war.  You pass a resolution that at some point prevent the Jews from their most sacred site they will fight for it. It would be like telling the Islamic they can not go to Mecca or Medina. There were much better ways to deal with this than what was just done. 

 

Your first sentence is why I won't read anything else you said. I'm not the "left" and I'm not the "right". I am a free thinking human being who doesn't like serial liars like Clinton and Trump. I cannot make myself any clearer than that and I quite frankly resent your tone and accusation of such. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand NYC?

 

HA!  It is to laugh...

 

YOU think that I meant that all New York business practices are all mobster like in substance...

 

HA!  It is to laugh...

 

No...what I meant is that Donald Trump has no moral ethics regarding money...

He will steal it...LEGALLY...using LEGAL loopholes...

The mob...other than using force to rob airports and delivery trucks, also used LEGAL loopholes to control the WHOLE country's economy...see union deals...that even got JFK elected...a boy billionaire from Boston whose dad dealt with the mob with the liquor thing...

Donald Trump aint a tough guy from NYC...

He is a manipulator...bullying others around...

The mob....are the tough guys..bullying others around with force and fear..

Donald Trump...only other AMERICAN politicians fear him...because those guys were lifers manipulating the POLITICAL system...

You think that Donald Trump will be able to bully Mexico's President with the whole NAFTA thing?

Let him try that with Canada...

Or China...

Sure China is a little afraid...

Uncertainty always puts fear into people...

When push turns into shove is another whole ballgame though..

Donald Trump....he is a paper tiger regarding someone pushing him around...

Because he maybe from NYC...but the mean streets of NYC...he never saw...

 

Good luck with protectionist laws...

See how that works out for America when the rest of the world produces and sells everything the USA does...and more...

Way back then....America was the sole industrialized country to come out of WW2 spic and span and cornered to world with its products and culture...

Trump doesnt realize that the world has caught up with the good ol times the USA enjoyed after WW2.

Make America Great Again...

That slogan is soooooo ironic....when people want it sooooo bad today, they dont realize America had a monopoly then when America was supposedly great!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FordCosworth said:

Better get to your safe spaces and hug your emotional support puppies....

Kind of like our president and VP needed a special place when those big old meanies at a freaking Broadway show called them out?  He needs to have his Twitter account taken away stat. 

Trump is a horrible business man and his negotiating skills are lackluster at best.  he thinks if a business fails, you bankrupt it, again, that will not work for a country.  This is not going to help on a local, and especially, on a global scale.  His is a powder keg on which he is trying his best to light the fuse.

 

BTW, HUGE congrats to GM for firing back using those pesky facts against our wannabe dictator.  Sadly this little man has businesses he has grudges against (personal ones) and he plans to use his presidency to damage these businesses which WILL cost THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS of jobs if he is successful.  This has nothing to do with him helping this country or it's people.  It has to do with molding the economy to better suit Donald Trump and those like him. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I dont understand NYC?

 

HA!  It is to laugh...

 

YOU think that I meant that all New York business practices are all mobster like in substance...

 

HA!  It is to laugh...

 

No...what I meant is that Donald Trump has no moral ethics regarding money...

He will steal it...LEGALLY...using LEGAL loopholes...

The mob...other than using force to rob airports and delivery trucks, also used LEGAL loopholes to control the WHOLE country's economy...see union deals...that even got JFK elected...a boy billionaire from Boston whose dad dealt with the mob with the liquor thing...

Donald Trump aint a tough guy from NYC...

He is a manipulator...bullying others around...

The mob....are the tough guys..bullying others around with force and fear..

Donald Trump...only other AMERICAN politicians fear him...because those guys were lifers manipulating the POLITICAL system...

You think that Donald Trump will be able to bully Mexico's President with the whole NAFTA thing?

Let him try that with Canada...

Or China...

Sure China is a little afraid...

Uncertainty always puts fear into people...

When push turns into shove is another whole ballgame though..

Donald Trump....he is a paper tiger regarding someone pushing him around...

Because he maybe from NYC...but the mean streets of NYC...he never saw...

 

Good luck with protectionist laws...

See how that works out for America when the rest of the world produces and sells everything the USA does...and more...

Way back then....America was the sole industrialized country to come out of WW2 spic and span and cornered to world with its products and culture...

Trump doesnt realize that the world has caught up with the good ol times the USA enjoyed after WW2.

Make America Great Again...

That slogan is soooooo ironic....when people want it sooooo bad today, they dont realize America had a monopoly then when America was supposedly great!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The funny thing is that our protectionism (along with our isolationist policies of the early 1930s led to this little thing called the Great Depression which we only got relief from by going to war with Germany and Japan. Protectionism was bad then and it's an even worse stance to have now for reasons you just mentioned Olds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

lol i work in manufacturing and i live on a coast and i spend plenty of time doing business in "REAL AMURRICA" and my location has no bearing on anything except for making you just as tiresome as liberals who think anyone west of pennsylvania is a dirt farming cousin humper. 

lmfao and i bet you have exclusive insider info on this position? because it seems trump wasn't at your meeting:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/12/09/the-carrier-jobs-trump-saved-will-be-automated-anyway/

The Daily Caller? I am a conservative and do not even follow them for real news. 

Good reporting does not go "the jobs might end up being automated" in a quote from CNBC.

Even if they do automate it creates jobs here for repair and care of the equipment. It creates jobs to supply material to the machines. It creates jobs for the tack a machine is not able to do. It creates jobs for transportation. It creates jobs locally to serve those above.

Is it a perfect scenario? No but it is better than a shuttered building with broken widows that we have already too many of littering the mid west.

Something is better than nothing.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

The Daily Caller? I am a conservative and do not even follow them for real news. 

Good reporting does not go "the jobs might end up being automated" in a quote from CNBC.

Even if they do automate it creates jobs here for repair and care of the equipment. It creates jobs to supply material to the machines. It creates jobs for the tack a machine is not able to do. It creates jobs for transportation. It creates jobs locally to serve those above.

Is it a perfect scenario? No but it is better than a shuttered building with broken widows that we have already too many of littering the mid west.

Something is better than nothing.

 

Something is better than nothing? If you lose 1000 jobs to automation and gain 50 for repairs and maintenance of said automation, that is less than nothing. There is no "something" to be had at that point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

So no counter argument @FordCosworth? Just another hit and run vote because you made a baseless assumption and got called out on it? Maybe you need a puppy and a safe space? 

 

Hand-Cupped-Ear.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

 

Hand-Cupped-Ear.jpg

So nothing then? Thanks for confirming that. You may now return to your safe space. You know where it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Something is better than nothing? If you lose 1000 jobs to automation and gain 50 for repairs and maintenance of said automation, that is less than nothing. There is no "something" to be had at that point. 

Automation is inevitable though. Companies will see the long term benefits, which there are a ton of them, and eventually move that direction anyway.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Thought i heard something. Turns out, nothing but hot air.

Funny. I was saying the same thing about your petty "safe space" post that you now can't back up with any semblance of fact and just offer childish posts like the one above. I think someone is lonely and needs a hug lol. 

3 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Automation is inevitable though. Companies will see the long term benefits, which there are a ton of them, and eventually move that direction anyway.

Not debating that point. The point is that these jobs supposedly being brought back (like at Carrier) are already being phased out down the road by said automation, leading to a net loss of jobs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny. I was saying the same thing about your petty "safe space" post that you now can't back up with any semblance of fact and just offer childish posts like the one above. I think someone is lonely and needs a hug lol. 

 

81d92c74585fa57363ca5f4450461238ca87d8a4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, FAPTurbo said:

lol i work in manufacturing and i live on a coast and i spend plenty of time doing business in "REAL AMURRICA" and my location has no bearing on anything except for making you just as tiresome as liberals who think anyone west of pennsylvania is a dirt farming cousin humper. 

I live in PA and thought that is all was from here to California.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

 

81d92c74585fa57363ca5f4450461238ca87d8a4

I just want to see how much knee slapping you are doing when Trump comes after all the jobs that went to Canada. That's going to be a real laugh riot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not for tree huggers and CAFE we wouldn't be gettinga Mustang Hybrid with V8 power.  So there is a plus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Funny. I was saying the same thing about your petty "safe space" post that you now can't back up with any semblance of fact and just offer childish posts like the one above. I think someone is lonely and needs a hug lol. 

Not debating that point. The point is that these jobs supposedly being brought back (like at Carrier) are already being phased out down the road by said automation, leading to a net loss of jobs. 

A net loss, yes. But if the whole shi-bang is going to be outsourced then you lose those 50(theoretical) jobs as well. So you really are saving or creating 50 jobs otherwise they would all have left because the automation is inevitable.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

A net loss, yes. But if the whole shi-bang is going to be outsourced then you lose those 50(theoretical) jobs as well. So you really are saving or creating 50 jobs otherwise they would all have left because the automation is inevitable.

Not really because I'm Carriers situation, it will end up replacing more jobs with automation. It's the 90s all over again when our manufacturing base was replaced by low wage service jobs. This is not the net result we want. This country has to go back to true innovation and creating more substainable industries to replace all the ones that were lost. These band aid solutions, like what Trump is touting, will not not help the average American in the long run. It will only help the wealthy like himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I just want to see how much knee slapping you are doing when Trump comes after all the jobs that went to Canada. That's going to be a real laugh riot!

Of Course you will. Thats Lefty 101.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Of Course you will. Thats Lefty 101.

 

Actually that's common sense 101 and I'm no lefty so again, drop the silly assumptions. You do understand that he is not just going after the jobs that went to Mexico right? Canada is on his list too. It's a big deal if you live in Canada unless you think that's not really an issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Not really because I'm Carriers situation, it will end up replacing more jobs with automation. It's the 90s all over again when our manufacturing base was replaced by low wage service jobs. This is not the net result we want. This country has to go back to true innovation and creating more substainable industries to replace all the ones that were lost. These band aid solutions, like what Trump is touting, will not not help the average American in the long run. It will only help the wealthy like himself. 

So if the entire plant moves to say China then 1000 jobs were lost, correct?  But if it stays here and the plant is completely retooled and engineered for efficiency(and to get idiot hands off of components which make more mistakes than a robot) and get to retain 50 positions how is that not saving 50 jobs? People on those union jobs and manufacturing jobs where they're making anything north of $20/hr is overpaid because it is a damn near skill-less position anyway. The minimal jobs isn't what it is all about either. It is keeping tax dollars in the country as opposed to being sent to the country with the jobs being outsourced to.

Creating industries is tough.. I have absolutely no clue how one creates an industry that isn't just a temp fad.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Actually that's common sense 101 and I'm no lefty so again, drop the silly assumptions. You do understand that he is not just going after the jobs that went to Mexico right? Canada is on his list too. It's a big deal if you live in Canada unless you think that's not really an issue. 

Actually, he already started going after Canada...

Canadian lumber...

And he is lying saying CDN lumber is subsidized so he could put tariffs on CDN lumber...

But the Quebec lumber industry already warned Justin Trudeau about it...so Trudeau is ready for a fight...

Many western Canadian don't believe Trudeau is capable of leading...but I see an intelligent young Prime Minister making a fool out of Trump...kinda like Trudeau senior with Nixon...

Mr. FordCosworth is from BC...he better care as BC has more lumber to sell  to the States than Quebec does...

Trump is on the verge of screwing up a very balanced economy with its neighbors...like I said...good luck with that in 2017...

The US sometimes forced shyte unto Canada in the past...not anymore...Canada could go elsewhere...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      Lincoln launched a pilot program for its own subscription service through Ford's Canvas earlier this year in the Los Angeles and the San Francisco areas. Unlike other programs that offer new vehicles, Lincoln's program offered off-lease vehicles that ranged from 2015 to 2017 model years. This allowed Lincoln to offer lower prices than competitors - prices ranged from $500 to $950 plus variable pricing on the amount of miles per month. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lincoln's subscription service isn't doing so hot.
      “I’ve been surprised how few people are genuinely interested in that type of ownership. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said this is the next big thing. A lot of people are struggling to make the math work,” said Lincoln’s director of marketing, sales and service, Robert Parker.
      Parker explained that most of the customers who signed up needed a vehicle for a short time like searching for a new vehicle or needing something to get them around while their car was in the shop. 
      “The amount of people coming out after one or two months is very high. It’s just kind of an interim process,” said Parker.
      Lincoln is going to be making some changes to their program, although it is unclear what those might be. Parker threw out the suggestion of involving Lincoln dealers in the service, along with expanding vehicle ability.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln launched a pilot program for its own subscription service through Ford's Canvas earlier this year in the Los Angeles and the San Francisco areas. Unlike other programs that offer new vehicles, Lincoln's program offered off-lease vehicles that ranged from 2015 to 2017 model years. This allowed Lincoln to offer lower prices than competitors - prices ranged from $500 to $950 plus variable pricing on the amount of miles per month. Perhaps unsurprisingly, Lincoln's subscription service isn't doing so hot.
      “I’ve been surprised how few people are genuinely interested in that type of ownership. If you had asked me a year ago, I would have said this is the next big thing. A lot of people are struggling to make the math work,” said Lincoln’s director of marketing, sales and service, Robert Parker.
      Parker explained that most of the customers who signed up needed a vehicle for a short time like searching for a new vehicle or needing something to get them around while their car was in the shop. 
      “The amount of people coming out after one or two months is very high. It’s just kind of an interim process,” said Parker.
      Lincoln is going to be making some changes to their program, although it is unclear what those might be. Parker threw out the suggestion of involving Lincoln dealers in the service, along with expanding vehicle ability.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Come 2019, Infiniti will not have any hybrid vehicles available for sale.
      Green Car Reports has learned from Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore that the Q50 Hybrid model will be axed from the lineup come the 2019 model year. This follows an announcement of the Q70 hybrid being dropped earlier this summer. No reason was given as to why both hybrid models have been dropped, but Green Car Reports speculates the slow sales is the explanation.
      With the departure of the QX60 Hybrid last year, this leaves Infiniti with no hybrid models. But that doesn't mean Infiniti isn't getting out of the electrification game for good. As we reported back in January, Infiniti will begin offering full electric powertrains and plug-in hybrid models beginning in 2021.
      Source: Green Car Reports

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Come 2019, Infiniti will not have any hybrid vehicles available for sale.
      Green Car Reports has learned from Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore that the Q50 Hybrid model will be axed from the lineup come the 2019 model year. This follows an announcement of the Q70 hybrid being dropped earlier this summer. No reason was given as to why both hybrid models have been dropped, but Green Car Reports speculates the slow sales is the explanation.
      With the departure of the QX60 Hybrid last year, this leaves Infiniti with no hybrid models. But that doesn't mean Infiniti isn't getting out of the electrification game for good. As we reported back in January, Infiniti will begin offering full electric powertrains and plug-in hybrid models beginning in 2021.
      Source: Green Car Reports
    • By William Maley
      Polestar has revealed new details as to how it plans on selling their vehicles in the U.S. As we have previously reported, Polestar will be using an online system for customers to do research, configure, and order their vehicle. They'll also have the choice of either purchasing a vehicle outright or doing a subscription model where insurance and maintenance is covered in the payment.
      But as Thomas Ingenlath, CEO of Polestar admits in a statement, "many people want to physically see a car before ordering." That's where Polestar Spaces come into play. These will be franchised by dealers and allow customers to check out the cars and learn more from product information specialists - not working on commission. The spaces will also handle servicing of the vehicles, although customers won't need to drop their vehicles off. Using a smartphone app, customers will be able to schedule a pickup for servicing. Once completed, Polestar will drop the vehicle back off.
      According to Car and Driver, Polestar will open their first space in New York City in late 2019 or early 2020. Nine more spaces will follow: Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Dallas or Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco, Seattle, and Washington, D.C.
      Source: Car and Driver, Polestar


      Polestar – the new electric performance brand and a new approach to car ownership for US customers
      As a new entrant into the electrified automotive industry, Polestar has confirmed its positioning and innovative go-to-market strategy in the important North American car market. As a start-up electric car brand owned by Volvo Car Group, Polestar will offer electric performance cars with a modern, fully digital customer experience.
      “Launching an entirely new car brand gives us the opportunity to assess what customers enjoy about car ownership, and what they are less keen on,” says Thomas Ingenlath, Chief Executive Officer at Polestar. “As an electric performance brand, we want to maximize our customer’s enjoyment of driving. Polestars will be great looking cars with avant-garde design that are full of modern technology and great to drive.
      “We also want to remove the hassle from traditional car ownership. The customer will be able to research, configure and order their car online. They can choose our innovative subscription model that enables them to have all their motoring costs covered by one single monthly payment.
      “We also know that many people want to physically see a car before ordering, so our customers will be able to meet the brand in a franchised Polestar Space. In a town center location, they’ll interact with non-commissioned product experts who are totally focused on enhancing their brand experience and giving them the information they want and need. They will also have pick-up and delivery servicing, meaning that their days of standing in line at service reception are over.”
      “Polestar is a global brand from day one, operating in the world’s most important car markets – Europe, China and North America. We will therefore be opening Polestar Spaces in major US cities as demand requires them. We are also developing a new Polestar North America organization to meet the demands of this important market,” concludes Thomas Ingenlath.
      Polestar’s momentum has been building following its launch as the new electric performance brand. The company’s first car, Polestar 1, was revealed in October 2017 as a 600 hp Electric Performance Hybrid, but with the longest pure electric range of any hybrid in the world. The Polestar 1 will start production in mid-2019 at the new Polestar Production Centre, which is nearing completion. The first full year of production has already sold out, with 200 cars currently destined for North American customers.
      The brand’s second car, Polestar 2, will be the company’s first full battery electric vehicle and is designed to compete with Tesla Model 3. The Polestar 2 will be revealed early in 2019, with production starting a year later.

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.