Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2018 Ford F-150 Adds A Diesel and A New Look: Comments

For 40 years, the Ford F-Series has not only been the best-selling pickup in the U.S., but also the best-selling vehicle. In 2016, Ford moved 820,000 F-Series models. Ford wants to keep this going and tomorrow will introduce a heavily refreshed version of the F-150.

The big news is the introduction of a 3.0L PowerStroke turbodiesel V6, something we have been reporting on for the past year. The V6 is a result of a joint-venture between Ford and PSA Peugeot Citroën, along with being used in some of Land Rover's models. Ford is being tight-lipped on the power figures, but we should note the engine produces 254 horsepower and 440 pound-feet in Range Rover Td6. A 10-speed automatic transmission will come standard.

That isn't the only change for the F-150's powertrain lineup. The base engine will be a new 3.3L V6 that is expected to produce the same 282 horsepower and 253 pound-feet of torque as the outgoing 3.5L V6. This will come paired with a six-speed automatic. Next, the 5.0L V8 and 2.7 EcoBoost V6 feature a number of improvements that will improve horsepower and torque (though Ford isn't saying how much). The 3.5L EcoBoost V6 which was updated last year will continue on without any changes. The V8 and EcoBoost V6s will also get a 10-speed automatic.

Outside, Ford's designers bring some of the ideas from F-Series Super Duty for the F-150. That includes new grilles for the various trims, larger headlights, six new wheel designs, and a sculpted tailgated. Ford hasn't changed much in the interior aside from new color choices for the seats. In terms of tech, there will the option of 4G LTE Wi-Fi, Bang & Olufsen audio system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability; adaptive cruise control with stop-start technology, and a pre-collision system with pedestrian detection.

The 2018 F-150 lineup arrives at Ford dealers this fall. If you want the diesel, you'll need to wait until 2018.

Source: Ford 
Press Release is on Page 2

FORD RAISES THE BAR AGAIN: NEW F-150 PICKUP IS EVEN TOUGHER, SMARTER, MORE CAPABLE

• Even tougher: Featuring bolder Built Ford Tough style and segment-first high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body
  • Even smarter: Available class-exclusive Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection can automatically apply F-150 brakes to help prevent a collision with another vehicle or pedestrian, plus available WiFi hotspot can help you stay connected
  • Even more capable: F-150 features the best towing ever – thanks to more powerful, efficient engine offerings that include standard Auto Start-Stop across the range, all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke® turbo diesel and expanded availability of segment-first 10-speed automatic transmission
  • New F-150 is being previewed today during the 4 p.m. EST FOX NFL Wildcard Pregame Show – Ford is the Official Truck of the NFL – and revealed on Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit

DEARBORN, Mich., Jan. 8, 2017 – Ford, America’s truck leader, introduces the new 2018 Ford F-150 – now even tougher, even smarter and even more capable than ever.

Three years after first introducing the high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy-bodied Ford F-150, the new F-150 arrives with bold new front and rear styling, advanced technologies – including available Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection – and improved engines. The new engines include an all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke® V6 turbo diesel and enhanced V6 and V8 gas engines.

“Truck customers are constantly looking to improve their productivity, for work and for play,” said Joe Hinrichs, Ford President, The Americas. “Since 1977, we’ve been America’s favorite truck, and we’ve never taken that leadership for granted. This new F-150 is our latest example of Ford’s commitment to going further for our customers through continuous innovation.”

The 2018 F-150 is part of the Ford F-Series truck lineup, America’s best-selling truck for 40 consecutive years and America’s best-selling vehicle for 35 years.

Ford is previewing the new truck today during the FOX NFL Wildcard Pregame Show, which airs starting at 4 p.m. today. Ford is the Official Truck of the NFL. The truck will be revealed on Monday at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

Even tougher
The new F-150 delivers on its Built Ford Tough promise through a segment-exclusive combination of advanced materials that are durable and inhibit corrosion.

A high-strength steel fully boxed ladder frame and high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy body save weight and add capability, helping F-150 tow heavier trailers than ever and deliver best-in-class payload ratings.

The 2018 F-150 lineup is new with even tougher looks. From XL to top-of-the-line Limited, all Ford F-150 models receive new grilles, headlamps and bumpers that create a visually wider and more planted stance and maximum differentiation between the series. On the Sport Package-equipped Lariat F-150, the signature twin bars are painted body color for a custom athletic appearance.

Further enhancing its “milled from a block of high-strength, military-grade, aluminum alloy” look, the F-150 features six all-new wheel designs, ranging from 17 inches to 22 inches in diameter.

A new sculpted tailgate with deeper accent form and stamped “F-150” are flanked by new tail lamp designs. For further style differentiation, a tailgate applique adds a horizontal element to King Ranch, Platinum and Limited versions.

F-150 also brings two new seating trim colors – Dark Marsala for F-150 Platinum, while top-of-the-line F-150 Limited offers a Navy Pier environment. New trim offerings including carbon fiber appearance appliques on F-150 XLT Sport and Lariat Sport models, while the famed F-150 King Ranch features new Kingsville Appointed seats.

Even smarter
Ford F-150 advances the light-duty pickup truck segment again with segment-first and class-exclusive technologies that improve productivity, efficiency and driver confidence, while keeping occupants connected to the world around them.

• New enhanced segment-first available adaptive cruise control with stop-and-go functionality allows drivers to set a cruising speed. They then use radar and camera technology to monitor traffic ahead to maintain a set distance between vehicles – even following a vehicle down to a complete stop.
  • New, segment-first available Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection helps the driver avoid or mitigate collisions with vehicles and pedestrians.
  • With a new available embedded 4G LTE modem for a Wi-Fi hot spot, customers can connect up to 10 mobile devices at one time, virtually anywhere.
  • New B&O PLAY available audio system takes advantage of high-end speakers, sound and tuning to deliver a richer, more engaging listening experience.

These technologies join existing segment-exclusive driver assist and convenience features that include:

• Available SYNC® and SYNC 3 with FordPass enables compatibility of Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – plus mobility services to help customers move more efficiently
  • Available 360-degree camera technology helps improve driver confidence when parking and can help reduce stress when connecting a trailer – allowing customers to see more so they can focus on specific tasks such as lining up a hitch
  • Available lane-keeping system is designed to help reduce unintentional drifting of the vehicle outside the intended lane
  • Available Blind Spot Information System with trailer tow technology is optimized for F-150 to include the length of a trailer up to 33 feet; BLIS® uses radar sensors in the taillamps to monitor areas that may not be visible to the driver

Even more capable
Ford builds on its performance leadership by offering the most advanced F-150 engine lineup ever, plus the best towing capability of any F-150 ever.

The new F-150 introduces an all-new, standard 3.3-liter V6 engine, with direct-injection for increased efficiency. The 3.3-liter V6 is expected to offer the same 282 horsepower and 253 lb.-ft. of torque as the previous model’s standard 3.5-liter V6.

An all-new second-generation 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine features advanced dual port and direct injection technology, reduced internal friction and improved robustness – all for improved levels of output, efficiency, quality and durability. Like the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, the 2.7-liter EcoBoost will be paired to the segment-exclusive 10-speed automatic transmission for 2018.

The 5.0-liter V8 also sees improvements in 2018, as the naturally aspirated engine features significant upgrades for increased power and torque. It’s also paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission for the first time.

The 2018 F-150 also adds an available all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine, designed, engineered and tested in-house and paired with the 10-speed automatic transmission. It’s the first-ever diesel engine offered for F-150.

In addition to the segment-first 10-speed automatic, the Ford F-150 is now the first full-size pickup truck to add automatic start/stop as standard equipment across all models and engines.

The new 2018 F-150 goes on sale this fall. It will be built at Dearborn Truck Plant in Dearborn, Michigan, and Kansas City Assembly Plant in Claycomo, Missouri.

View full article

Wow quite the refresh. I like it.  I'm not 100% on the front end changes yet. I'm kind of indifferent on the front end. I'm not sure if it looks better or equally good to me yet. 

Surprised with all of the powertrain changes though. 3.3L V6? Interesting. Hopefully it doesn't need more revs for those same output numbers though. 

Not keen on the Chrome nose but the body color one is nice. 

Now sure why they still keep an antenna.  A Car Wash the other day took the antenna and base and left a gaping hole in the fender in a story on TV last week. They claimed $6K for repairs which seemed a little high for just a fender. 

This truck will do fine as the F150 is like Mc Donalds and even if it is not the best hamburger but it is far from the worse and  people will still go there out of loyalty and price. 

44 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

Now sure why they still keep an antenna.  A Car Wash the other day took the antenna and base and left a gaping hole in the fender in a story on TV last week. They claimed $6K for repairs which seemed a little high for just a fender. 

This truck will do fine as the F150 is like Mc Donalds and even if it is not the best hamburger but it is far from the worse and  people will still go there out of loyalty and price. 

I'm not sure McDonald's is a good comparison for your analogy. However,. I am sure McDonald's has about the worst burgers in fast food.  

It is a good update with good engine improvements, the diesel and 10 speed should really boost fuel economy.  But why does the Diesel come out in Summer 2018 when the engine already is in production?  Shouldn't that diesel be on sale, like now?

45 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

It is a good update with good engine improvements, the diesel and 10 speed should really boost fuel economy.  But why does the Diesel come out in Summer 2018 when the engine already is in production?  Shouldn't that diesel be on sale, like now?

The engine might still have to go through EPA testing and stuff like that to finalize numbers and whatnot. 

1 hour ago, Scout said:

I'm not sure McDonald's is a good comparison for your analogy. However,. I am sure McDonald's has about the worst burgers in fast food.  

Yeah terrible analogy because McDonald's absolutely makes the worst burgers and the F150 isn't the worst truck. 

1 hour ago, hyperv6 said:

I don't like the chrome either.. I'm just not a fan of a ton of chrome. 

My girlfriend had her wiper blades/arm/motor fckd from a car wash as well. Manufacturers should eliminate wiper blades because of crappy car washes.

The issue with Chrome today is it gets beat to hell with chips. Even most paint fairs better and you can touch it up. I change out the chrome on my GMC for winter not to take the blows.

Also a little chrome is ok but this is just way too much.

FYI scout there is much worse out there.

The F150 seems to be another example of a truck getting an MCE that looks worse than it's predecessor..like the Ram's recent grille change, or the last update to the Silverado...the predecessors looked better, IMO.   'worse' in the sense of busier, more cluttered front end trims...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Grille is attached with a giant staple gun.  LOLwhat.  Looks like two big-ass staples.

The mesh grille definitely looks better.

Still with the tiny engines, oy vey.  Diesel sounds interesting.

Edited by ocnblu

upgraded 5.0 with the 10 speed in a regular cab FX4?  I can get on board with that :D

Off-topic question though.  Can that lower front spoiler or whatever be removed and does it serve an purpose beside being there for a minuscule improvement in fuel economy?

I gotta give em props for offering a diesel. Chevy needs to offer the same. Makes no sense why its not offered at this point especially since Ram has been doing it for a while now.. Speaking of Chevy.. was I the only one that at first thought the pictures were mixed up and we were looking at a Chevy nose?

14 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

The issue with Chrome today is it gets beat to hell with chips. Even most paint fairs better and you can touch it up. I change out the chrome on my GMC for winter not to take the blows.

Also a little chrome is ok but this is just way too much.

FYI scout there is much worse out there.

Name 5 places that make a worse burger than McDonalds...

McDonald's burgers are horse shet.. I don't understand why anybody who isn't broke eats them..

:hijacked:

25 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I gotta give em props for offering a diesel. Chevy needs to offer the same. Makes no sense why its not offered at this point especially since Ram has been doing it for a while now.. Speaking of Chevy.. was I the only one that at first thought the pictures were mixed up and we were looking at a Chevy nose?

I think it would be cool if one of the D3 offered a diesel like what's in the Titan XD in their half tons. GM still has an opportunity to take that. I think it would be badass to have a mid-range diesel in a half ton. Not as powerful as the 2500's, but not a weakling(slow, not weak) gas sipper either like the Ram and likely the F150's. 300hp/500-550tq would rock!

Burger King

Hamburger Station

White Castle

Rallys

Carls Jr or Hardees depending on where you live.

Steak and Shake

Jack in the Box

I could list more as they are all about the same and lousy.

If I have to eat at a chain it is Wendys where I get Chicken or Arbys.

If I want a Burger I have two places I like. One is Way Back that is a small chain here in the east and Midwest.

The best is here in Ohio call Swensons. It is the ultimate burger. Toasted buttered buns. The meat is home grown here and it has a mix of brown sugar in the meat. They are sweet.

Even health nut Lebron James goes directly there as soon as the season is over and gets his fill.

My only point is that Mc D is consistent and not the worst but yet far from the best. People trust to get the same thing no matter where they are in the world.

My point is the Ford like Mc D is not the best or worst but trusted and people will buy it because of that and often the high incentives or cheap fleet pricing.

Edited by hyperv6

Interesting, not bad, not a fan of all the Chrome. The interior is my big beef. We are in a fluid world and that interior looks cheap to me as a snap together clunky interior rather than a smooth flowing dash. The dash also looks cheap to me in comparison to others.

2 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Burger King

Hamburger Station

White Castle

Rallys

Steak and Shake

Jack in the Box

I believe it was said list 5 worst than McDonald's,. Not better. McDonald's is the only place I have found that can remove all beef flavor from beef. I guess like the looks of a vehicle, taste is also subjective, if not questionable. :P

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think it would be cool if one of the D3 offered a diesel like what's in the Titan XD in their half tons.

A diesel and a half ton needs to be tuned for efficiency in my opinion. If they go the route of the Titan then they will have a truck that doesn't belong anywhere. The Titan is only slightly better than the gas half tons in every category except that it costs more. It's also much worse than all the heavy duty products yet can cost as much. It has no place. It really has no idea what it wants to be and what it is trying to do. If the D3 want diesels and half tons I believe they should be small and efficient. Otherwise there really is no target market for them. Except perhaps in The Titan's case, people can say I have a diesel Cummings in my truck. Which seems to be its biggest selling point. If you really need a vehicle for towing heavy loads on a regular basis you probably should have brought a three-quarter ton anyway.

17 minutes ago, Scout said:

I believe it was said list 5 worst than McDonald's,. Not better. McDonald's is the only place I have found that can remove all beef flavor from beef. I guess like the looks of a vehicle, taste is also subjective, if not questionable. :P

They all suck. There is no right or wrong here as any choice can be easily confirmed.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, hyperv6 said:

They all suck. There is no right or wrong here as any choice can be easily confirmed.

Yea. I was just poking at ya. IMO though, McDonald's is about bottom of the barrel. I know and understand others feel different. 

2 hours ago, hyperv6 said:

Burger King

Hamburger Station

White Castle

Rallys

Steak and Shake

Jack in the Box

I could list more as they are all about the same and lousy.

You have the worst taste in burgers possibly ever.. I'm not a fan of a chain burger, period.. but McDonalds is worse than all of those.. maybe save for White Castle as I've never eaten there and will likely never.

23 minutes ago, Scout said:

A diesel and a half ton needs to be tuned for efficiency in my opinion. If they go the route of the Titan then they will have a truck that doesn't belong anywhere. The Titan is only slightly better than the gas half tons in every category except that it costs more. It's also much worse than all the heavy duty products yet can cost as much. It has no place. It really has no idea what it wants to be and what it is trying to do. If the D3 want diesels and half tons I believe they should be small and efficient. Otherwise there really is no target market for them. Except perhaps in The Titan's case, people can say I have a diesel Cummings in my truck. Which seems to be its biggest selling point. If you really need a vehicle for towing heavy loads on a regular basis you probably should have brought a three-quarter ton anyway.

The Titan XD was a failure... I had high hope for it but it flopped real hard, imo. It only tows a couple hundred pounds more than two of the half tons(Ford and GM, I believe?) Too heavy, not capable enough, not efficient either.. The thing weighs something like 7500lbs! Put that same engine/trans in a 5800lb truck and it's so much better at about everything. It would still get better fuel mileage than the 6.2 and 3.5tt as it's a smaller diesel. I mean my buddy's 2010 Ram 2500 with the Cummins gets 17mpg when he isn't towing. Add modern tech to the engine, trans, and a truck that weighs at the very least 1000lbs less and it would get phenomenal fuel mileage for the output.

I do agree that it would be priced in a very bad spot.. It would enter a tweener location with an expensive diesel price premium for a half ton.

Your last line is very accurate.. If you're going to tow that much regularly.. you should probably have the 3/4 ton anyway.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Name 5 places that make a worse burger than McDonalds...

McDonald's burgers are horse shet.. I don't understand why anybody who isn't broke eats them..

:hijacked:

I think it would be cool if one of the D3 offered a diesel like what's in the Titan XD in their half tons. GM still has an opportunity to take that. I think it would be badass to have a mid-range diesel in a half ton. Not as powerful as the 2500's, but not a weakling(slow, not weak) gas sipper either like the Ram and likely the F150's. 300hp/500-550tq would rock!

I'm thinking this 3.0L PS will be around 260HP and 440lbs/ft ( in its highest rating, this engine powering the Jag XF, XJ and Range Rover puts out 271HP with 440lbs/ft )

With this engine and the 10spd, and how light the F-150 is vs the competition, this will be more than adequate...The RAM 1500 ED is heavy ass pig

12 minutes ago, Scout said:

Yea. I was just poking at ya. IMO though, McDonald's is about bottom of the barrel. I know and understand others feel different. 

I agree with ya, too. They're just dogsh!t quality meat I don't understand how anybody makes the conscious decision to eat one of their burgers.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

You have the worst taste in burgers possibly ever.. I'm not a fan of a chain burger, period.. but McDonalds is worse than all of those.. maybe save for White Castle as I've never eaten there and will likely never.

Never said any of them were good just said was worse. The only reason I hold Mc D higher is the fries but even they are not as good as they used to be.

Swensons is the only one I like and they are only local here in NE Ohio. There is not a better burger in the world than what they have to offer. They have been around since the 30's and still have some of the best food ever for a drive in. They even still have curb service. they are mostly all around the Akron and Canton area.

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

It is like Walmart we hate em and we complain but in the end we all end up there for something and the bad is the same no matter where you go.

When they were forced to change the grease on the fries it really killed it for me.

Well the diesel engine will add a fair bit of heft, though I think the block is CGI, thö maybe...do most diesel blocks use iron, aluminum or CGI or a combo of all 3....nevermind, the emissions stuff like after-treatment will add weight back.

This refresh has made the F150 range very expansive, on top of the Raptor being available for sale now. 

I like the new front end with the body colour quite a bit. 

Most interested in the 5.0L. How much do 8 iron cylinder liners weigh. Cös that is the weight reduction atleast on the upgraded Coyote. And I wonder, this means the Mustang in 2018 will also get an upgraded Coyote too.

13 hours ago, Suaviloquent said:

Well the diesel engine will add a fair bit of heft, though I think the block is CGI, thö maybe...do most diesel blocks use iron, aluminum or CGI or a combo of all 3....nevermind, the emissions stuff like after-treatment will add weight back.

This refresh has made the F150 range very expansive, on top of the Raptor being available for sale now. 

I like the new front end with the body colour quite a bit. 

Most interested in the 5.0L. How much do 8 iron cylinder liners weigh. Cös that is the weight reduction atleast on the upgraded Coyote. And I wonder, this means the Mustang in 2018 will also get an upgraded Coyote too.

I feel confident in saying the 3.0L PS will have CGI Block - the entire Ford AJD based diesels have that material for the engine block.

I know the Duramax 2.8L and 6.6L, Cummins 6.7L ( 5.0L is CGI ) and all but a few VW Groups are Cast Iron Blocks. ( VW has a few aluminium and CGI engine blocks ). The VM Motori A630 - 3.0L EcoDiesel is CGI. The new GM 1.6L TDI is aluminum block ( not a very stressed engine therefor no need for robust build. )

And so much for this rumored 4.8L V-8 in the F-150 and Mustang...for now.