• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Reddit Poster Shines A Light on Ranger and Bronco

Possibly one of the biggest stories to come out from the Detroit Auto Show was Ford's announcement that the Bronco and Ranger are coming back. There weren't many details aside from release timeframes (2019 for Ranger, 2020 for Bronco), along with the Bronco being based on the bones of the Ranger. Now, an anonymous Ford employee has spilled some more details on the two models.

A poster who claims to be a designer at Ford's Development Center in Dearborn (and has been verified by the moderators of the Ford Ranger Reddit) says the Ranger that will be arriving in 2019 will be the same model sold around the world. There will be alterations to the exterior and interior. Couple of interesting bits is that U.S. will only get crew cab variant and there is the possibility of a diesel engine for the truck. The poster said the company is keeping a close on the sales of GM's midsize diesel trucks and the fallout of the Volkswagen diesel emission scandal.

As for the Bronco, the poster says it will be nearly identical to the Ford Everest. Yep, those who were hoping for a small, two-door SUV might have to make due with a midsize, four-door SUV. Like the Ranger, expect some changes to the exterior and powertrains.

Road and Track which first brought this to light says this information seems to line with comments made by Joe Hinrichs, Ford’s president of The Americas. We're not quite so sure ourselves, but we'll have to wait and see if this information is the real deal or not.

Source: Reddit, Road and Track
Pic Credit: Newspress

View full article

Only offering a crew cab is not a good idea at all. I don't see Ford doing that at all. Regarding the Bronco, while not surprising that they would use the Everest, I hope they find a way to downsize it a hair with a focus on off road fun. We shall see I guess. 

I hope they lose the jellybean style of the Everest and bring a modern take on the boxy Bronco. 4 door mid size pickup is understandable as is the watching GM with the Diesel to see if the market is justifiable.

Hmm as I have been warning sounds as if it will come to pass. I have heard a few things and it was not good for those hoping for a Wrangler killer. 

They keep showing the show SUV in the media and I have said it may not look like that as Ford has never said it would. Also I had heard it was just another SUV in a new size with RWD and AWD. 

The Ranger would survive on the Crew but they really need to keep pace with the GM lines as GM is going to continue to add variations and trim packages. They also need to have two different size beds as the 5 foot bed just does not cut it for everyone. 

The Diesel would be a major investment and I am not sure even GM will sell as many as they hope yet. I get the feeling it may be a wait and see for them. I am sure they have a plan if the GM take rate is high. But as of now I am not sure how well it will do as we have so little to compare it too. 

I have started to shop the GM trucks and I can see how much they have evolved since intro and there is still more to come. I am still waiting for a Sun Roof. 

I am sure what ever Ford comes out with will sell but I am not sure another look like SUV will make many happy that have been waiting on this. They had better make it clear now if it is not like the Show vehicle as if they make people wait 2 years to find out it will only make it worse. 

Basically the Bronco sounds like it's going to be a return to the original Explorer formula.   Yawn...

And the Ranger fans pining for a small, cheap basic truck are going to be in for a rude awakening..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Pretty much exactly as I heard it.....some of it simply comes down to money....

More versions will come if the Ranger is successful here.

Knew the Everest was coming, kinda was not hoping it was going to be the Bronco.

Small upside is it will get jacked up a bit for here....

I don't mind it sharing everything with the Everest as long as it doesn't LOOK like the Everest. If they're saying there is demand for such a product NOBODY was demanding a soft-ass CUV looking body on frame off-roader.

If it looks like the current Everest I will be EXTREMELY disappointed.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. Buickfosure
      Buickfosure
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      When Ford announced the new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 diesel for the 2018 F-150, the company said the engine should return 30 mpg on the highway. Today, the official EPA numbers for the Power Stroke V6 have come out and it will return 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. But there is a catch to this. As The Car Connection notes, this is for the two-wheel drive variant. The four-wheel drive variant is more thirsty with EPA figures of 20/25/22.
      Still, the 3.0L Power Stoke V6 beats the 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the current Ram 1500 - 20/27/23 for 2WD and 19/27/22 for 4WD.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing in a statement.
      Ford says the Power Stroke V6 can tow up to 11,400 pounds and has a max payload of 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications (1,940 pounds for retail applications).
      Source: Ford, The Car Connection
      New Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Has Best-In-Class EPA-Estimated 30 MPG Highway Fuel Economy Rating
      Efficient: 2018 F-150 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel has a best-in-class EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 30 mpg highway Powerful: First-ever F-150 Power Stroke diesel engine offers best-in-class 250 diesel horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque Capable: Diesel-equipped F-150 brings best-in-class diesel towing and payload capacity DEARBORN, Mich., April 19, 2018 – The 2018 Ford F-150’s first 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine officially boasts EPA-estimated ratings of 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined. These are the highest EPA-estimated ratings available in a full-size pickup truck.
      These benchmark figures are the result of more than a decade of work developing a lightweight high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, a 10-speed SelectShift® transmission, and robust engine construction of aluminum and compacted graphite iron to deliver durability, reduced weight and stump-pulling torque.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing.
      In addition to its leading fuel economy ratings, the all-new F-150 Power Stroke boasts best-in-class* diesel power – 250 horsepower and a stout 440 lb.-ft. of torque – greater torque than a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi V8. It provides best-in-class diesel towing of 11,400 pounds for pulling boats, horses or RVs. The new engine also provides best-in-class diesel payload – 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications, and 1,940 pounds for retail applications – to easily haul equipment, supplies or a slide-in camper.
      F-150 Power Stroke diesel shares its proven commercial-grade technology with F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke – America’s most powerful, capable heavy-duty pickup truck ever.
      The 2018 Ford F-150 with all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine will begin shipping to dealers in May.
      *Class is full-size pickups under 8,500 pounds. GVWR based on Ford segmentation.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Ford announced the new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 diesel for the 2018 F-150, the company said the engine should return 30 mpg on the highway. Today, the official EPA numbers for the Power Stroke V6 have come out and it will return 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. But there is a catch to this. As The Car Connection notes, this is for the two-wheel drive variant. The four-wheel drive variant is more thirsty with EPA figures of 20/25/22.
      Still, the 3.0L Power Stoke V6 beats the 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the current Ram 1500 - 20/27/23 for 2WD and 19/27/22 for 4WD.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing in a statement.
      Ford says the Power Stroke V6 can tow up to 11,400 pounds and has a max payload of 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications (1,940 pounds for retail applications).
      Source: Ford, The Car Connection
      New Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Has Best-In-Class EPA-Estimated 30 MPG Highway Fuel Economy Rating
      Efficient: 2018 F-150 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel has a best-in-class EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 30 mpg highway Powerful: First-ever F-150 Power Stroke diesel engine offers best-in-class 250 diesel horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque Capable: Diesel-equipped F-150 brings best-in-class diesel towing and payload capacity DEARBORN, Mich., April 19, 2018 – The 2018 Ford F-150’s first 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine officially boasts EPA-estimated ratings of 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined. These are the highest EPA-estimated ratings available in a full-size pickup truck.
      These benchmark figures are the result of more than a decade of work developing a lightweight high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, a 10-speed SelectShift® transmission, and robust engine construction of aluminum and compacted graphite iron to deliver durability, reduced weight and stump-pulling torque.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing.
      In addition to its leading fuel economy ratings, the all-new F-150 Power Stroke boasts best-in-class* diesel power – 250 horsepower and a stout 440 lb.-ft. of torque – greater torque than a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi V8. It provides best-in-class diesel towing of 11,400 pounds for pulling boats, horses or RVs. The new engine also provides best-in-class diesel payload – 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications, and 1,940 pounds for retail applications – to easily haul equipment, supplies or a slide-in camper.
      F-150 Power Stroke diesel shares its proven commercial-grade technology with F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke – America’s most powerful, capable heavy-duty pickup truck ever.
      The 2018 Ford F-150 with all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine will begin shipping to dealers in May.
      *Class is full-size pickups under 8,500 pounds. GVWR based on Ford segmentation.
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln only established itself in China back in 2015, but it is proving to be quite successful. Last year, Lincoln sold 54,124 models in the country. But the brand has big ambitions and believes it could sell more models in the world's largest auto market if they started building models there.
      According to Reuters, Lincoln is planning on building up five new vehicles in China by 2022. Officially, Ford has announced a new crossover for the Chinese market in 2019. But sources tell the news service that the automaker is planning on building the upcoming Aviator in China by late 2019 or early 2020. This will be followed by the successors to the MKC and MKZ, and the Nautilus 2021. Wrapping up Lincoln's China production plans is a small, coupe-like crossover expected in 2022.
      “Our localization plans to support the China market are on track and will serve to further drive Lincoln’s growth in China. Beyond that, it would be premature to discuss our future product and production plans or timing,” said Lincoln spokeswoman Angie Kozleski when reached for comment.
      Moving production to China would help Lincoln immensely. Currently, Ford imports Lincoln models from the U.S. to China. This means they get hit with a 25 percent tariff and aren't able to compete with the likes of Cadillac and the Germans. Even if China does reduce the tariff on imported vehicles - something Chinese President Xi Jinping promised earlier this week, it might not make a big enough difference for Lincoln to close the gap.
      “As long as Lincolns are not manufactured in China, the brand’s sales will no doubt suffer continuously,” said Zhu Kongyuan, Secretary General of the China Auto Dealers Chamber of Commerce.
      Not helping matters is the war of words between the U.S. and China, and the possibility of a trade war on the horizon.
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Lincoln only established itself in China back in 2015, but it is proving to be quite successful. Last year, Lincoln sold 54,124 models in the country. But the brand has big ambitions and believes it could sell more models in the world's largest auto market if they started building models there.
      According to Reuters, Lincoln is planning on building up five new vehicles in China by 2022. Officially, Ford has announced a new crossover for the Chinese market in 2019. But sources tell the news service that the automaker is planning on building the upcoming Aviator in China by late 2019 or early 2020. This will be followed by the successors to the MKC and MKZ, and the Nautilus 2021. Wrapping up Lincoln's China production plans is a small, coupe-like crossover expected in 2022.
      “Our localization plans to support the China market are on track and will serve to further drive Lincoln’s growth in China. Beyond that, it would be premature to discuss our future product and production plans or timing,” said Lincoln spokeswoman Angie Kozleski when reached for comment.
      Moving production to China would help Lincoln immensely. Currently, Ford imports Lincoln models from the U.S. to China. This means they get hit with a 25 percent tariff and aren't able to compete with the likes of Cadillac and the Germans. Even if China does reduce the tariff on imported vehicles - something Chinese President Xi Jinping promised earlier this week, it might not make a big enough difference for Lincoln to close the gap.
      “As long as Lincolns are not manufactured in China, the brand’s sales will no doubt suffer continuously,” said Zhu Kongyuan, Secretary General of the China Auto Dealers Chamber of Commerce.
      Not helping matters is the war of words between the U.S. and China, and the possibility of a trade war on the horizon.
      Source: Reuters
  • My Clubs