2018 Ford Expedition Drops 300 Pounds Thanks To Aluminum: Comments

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

Adjustable suspensions, when you have to get under the hood or car, are a completely different animal and don't really count when we're talking about everyday vehicles like those air suspensions benefit.

As far as I know, the adjustable system is changed from inside the cab on the GC and Ram Power Wagon. 

What are you talking about Willis?

33 minutes ago, dfelt said:

As far as I know, the adjustable system is changed from inside the cab on the GC and Ram Power Wagon. 

What are you talking about Willis?

Talking about the SRT adjustable suspensions Stew was talking about.

2 hours ago, Stew said:

Correct.  GC and Ram both have 2 versions of their airride suspension (Ram/off-road for Rebel and GC/even more offroad orientedTrailhawk).  Also, all of the SRT cars and SUVs have Bilstien adjustable suspensions that work VERY well. 

@dfelt 

This is what my reply was to.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Talking about the SRT adjustable suspensions Stew was talking about.

@dfelt 

This is what my reply was to.

The SRT suspension is controlled through the cabin.  Can't remember if there are buttons or it is all controlled through the performance pages.  Throttle response, transmission, suspension, and feel of the power steering can all be adjusted.  I believe you are thinking pretty old school like the manuall adjustable konis that came on the 84 to Mustang SVO.  I think it would have cool if the SVO had come with the adjustable suspension from the time period Thunderbird Turbo coupes and Cougar XR7s.  Pretty basic, choices were like auto and sport, but still all electronic. 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Stew said:

The SRT suspension is controlled through the cabin.  Can't remember if there are buttons or it is all controlled through the performance pages.  Throttle response, transmission, suspension, and feel of the power steering can all be adjusted.  I believe you are thinking pretty old school like the manuall adjustable konis that came on the 84 to Mustang SVO.  I think it would have cool if the SVO had come with the adjustable suspension from the time period Thunderbird Turbo coupes and Cougar XR7s.  Pretty basic, choices were like auto and sport, but still all electronic. 

Addition to your comment...

" Fiddling with the SRT Performance Pages functions on the center-stack screen allowed us to add weight to the steering, which was good for self-centering and muscle-building but not much else. We also dialed up the firmness of the Bilstein shocks; the Sport mode provides a little better connection to the road but the Track mode is rather too stiff for the street ".

So as we can see, like what Ccap mentioned, these Bilstein dampers are not of the continuously variable family like we see on equivalent Ford or GM vehicles. 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-srt-392-first-drive-review

11 minutes ago, FordCosworth said:

Addition to your comment...

" Fiddling with the SRT Performance Pages functions on the center-stack screen allowed us to add weight to the steering, which was good for self-centering and muscle-building but not much else. We also dialed up the firmness of the Bilstein shocks; the Sport mode provides a little better connection to the road but the Track mode is rather too stiff for the street ".

So as we can see, like what Ccap mentioned, these Bilstein dampers are not of the continuously variable family like we see on equivalent Ford or GM vehicles. 

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2015-dodge-charger-srt-392-first-drive-review

Actually they do continuously change in the basic automatic/comfort modes.  The sport and track are simply to keep it stiff so to speak.  My brother's ATS has Magnaride but it has distinct modes for the suspension including a sport mode that really stiffens it up.  No, it isn't exact same type of system as it doesn't use magnetic fluid, but it have multiple sensors that allow it to adjust in mere fractions of a second. 

9 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Absolutely, I guess I didn't realize there were adjustable dampers but non-special-magnet-style ones. How the fck do those ones work then?

Just as a side note, i would still love a nice 85.5-86 SVO. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Actually they do continuously change in the basic automatic/comfort modes.  The sport and track are simply to keep it stiff so to speak.  My brother's ATS has Magnaride but it has distinct modes for the suspension including a sport mode that really stiffens it up.  No, it isn't exact same type of system as it doesn't use magnetic fluid, but it have multiple sensors that allow it to adjust in mere fractions of a second. 

Thank you Stew.

It will be interesting to see if the Grand Wagoneer ever happens... I'm surprised they didn't just reskin the Durango in Jeep clothing 5 years ago...(since the 3rd gen Durango is basically a LWB 4th gen GC).

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It will be interesting to see if the Grand Wagoneer ever happens... I'm surprised they didn't just reskin the Durango in Jeep clothing 5 years ago...(since the 3rd gen Durango is basically a LWB 4th gen GC).

At least it is confirmed at this oint and they are getting ready to overhaul the plant so it should be interesting.  i wonder if Toyota will ever give the Sequoia and Tundra a complete redesign?