William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford and Lincoln Are Adding More Crossovers and SUVs!

"SUVs are the top-selling segment in the U.S. That is why we are introducing five new SUVs in the U.S. by 2020," for the Ford brand, said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service in a statement this week. 

We already know three of the five models: EcoSport in 2018, the electric compact crossover in 2019, and the Bronco in 2020. But what about the other two? Reuters has learned from supplier sources that the models in question will be based on Ford's next-generation Focus and Fiesta.

Meanwhile, Lincoln will be getting an additional model to their crossover/utility lineup. Sources say it will be a midsize model sharing the underpinnings of the Explorer due in 2019. Currently, the model is known internally as Aviator and MKD. We hope Lincoln goes with the former and not the latter.

Source: Reuters
Pic Credit: NewspressUSA

View full article

Hope they have solid Hybrids as that will be a solid path for them.

Exciting to see what they bring out, hopefully a hybrid and EV versions too.

So this lineup is sounding really cramped but that same thing is working for Jeep so, I guess, why not? From smallest to largest: EcoSport, Fiesta-based-new, Focus-based-new, Escape, Edge, Bronco, Explorer, Expedition? I'm not sure where the Bronco will stand in its size but I assume larger than an Edge but obviously not a 3 row SUV like the Explorer..just a guess..?

I'm kind of confused with the new Focus-based one because I thought the Escape was Focus-based.. Also, three SUVs smaller than the Escape?!? Maybe the next gen Escape will grow a bit to bridge the gap between it and the Edge?

I would assume the Fiesta-based is the next generation of EcoSport, and the Focus-based is the next generation of Escape, rather than additional models?  'five new' could interpreted to mean redesigns of existing models or new models, I presume. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would assume the Fiesta-based is the next generation of EcoSport, and the Focus-based is the next generation of Escape, rather than additional models?  'five new' could interpreted to mean redesigns of existing models or new models, I presume. 

Maybe, but this where I got tripped up on that thought. From Reuters,

In addition, Ford plans to redesign the Escape in 2018, the Explorer in 2019 and the Edge in 2021, the sources said.

19 hours ago, William Maley said:

Maybe, but this where I got tripped up on that thought. From Reuters,

So EcoSport, Escape, Explorer, Expedition, and Bronco makes 5 by 2020.    I wonder if the compact electric will be a variation of the Escape or a unique model..replacing the C-Max sort of?   (I assume the Flex will go bye-bye at some point w/ no replacement.)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Would like to see the Expedition get the diesel out of the F-150.  The hybrid can remain as a C-max theme, no need to ruin the rest of the lineup with hybrids that will rot on the lots.  I still believe Ford was caught flatfooted by not being ready at the onset of the tiny CUV craze with a federalized Ecosport.  It is a shame that this trucklet won't be available in the U.S. until the 2018 model year (technically IIRC they can sell a 2018 model year vehicle any time after January 1st 2017, so...)

I agree with Moltie's examination of Ford's plans.  We know the Ecosport is Fiesta-based and the Escape is Focus-based already.  This begs the question of whether the 2018 Ecosport will have a shoat shelf life before an all-new model debuts globally, based off the recently debuted Fiesta we've seen.

when did LaNeve resurface at Ford?

it's like these auto execs get shuttled around teams like people shuttle players on their fantasy football teams.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Today's Birthdays

1. Pa.Bill
      Pa.Bill
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The idea of Porsche doing a 911 hybrid has come and gone, and it seems to be coming once again.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources at Porsche that they are considering a hybrid powertrain for their iconic sports car once again. If given the green light, it would appear a few years after the launch of the next-generation 911 (due sometime next year) and possibly offer up to 40 miles of electric-only range. A problem that engineers are working on is trying to cut down battery weight the handling characteristics the vehicle is known for.
      It should be noted the Porsche has been going back and forth on this idea since 2014. Back in May, Porsche's head of development for the 718 and 911 said plans for 911 plug-in hybrid were canceled last year due to weight concerns and not being able to make much a profit as they would with a standard 911.
      Source: Bloomberg

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The idea of Porsche doing a 911 hybrid has come and gone, and it seems to be coming once again.
      Bloomberg has learned from sources at Porsche that they are considering a hybrid powertrain for their iconic sports car once again. If given the green light, it would appear a few years after the launch of the next-generation 911 (due sometime next year) and possibly offer up to 40 miles of electric-only range. A problem that engineers are working on is trying to cut down battery weight the handling characteristics the vehicle is known for.
      It should be noted the Porsche has been going back and forth on this idea since 2014. Back in May, Porsche's head of development for the 718 and 911 said plans for 911 plug-in hybrid were canceled last year due to weight concerns and not being able to make much a profit as they would with a standard 911.
      Source: Bloomberg
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai was caught off guard by the rise of crossovers with their car heavy lineup. This has caused their sales to fall down. But the Korean automaker is hoping to change that with the announcement of eight new or redesigned crossover models by 2020.
      The plan will begin with the launch of the Kona crossover in March and will include a wide range of models from a small A-segment model to 8-seat midsize model taking the place of the Santa Fe. There are also plans for an electric, hydrogen, and diesel powered models. The electric one is likely the Kona.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai. These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance,”  said Mike O’Brien, Hyundai Motor America vice president for Product Planning.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Hyundai Motor America to Release Eight New Crossover Utility Vehicles by the Year 2020
      Vehicles will be powered by Gasoline, Diesel, Hydrogen and Electricity  SUPERIOR TWP., Mich., Nov. 15, 2017 – Hyundai Motor America today announced its commitment to debut eight new or re-engineered crossover utility vehicles (CUVs) in the United States by the year 2020 during a press conference at the Hyundai America Technical Center. Beginning with the launch of the Kona small CUV in March, this new lineup will encompass models from the A-segment (entry level) size class all the way up to the eight-passenger midsize class. Hyundai also will showcase its latest gasoline engine, diesel engine, hydrogen fuel cell and battery electric technologies in these vehicles.
      “Very soon we are going to have the most diverse CUV powertrain lineup in the industry,” said Mike O’Brien, vice president, product, corporate and digital planning, Hyundai Motor America. “These vehicles will show the engineering prowess of the more than 13,000 engineers Hyundai Motor Company has working on current and future models every single day. Our customers are going to have a lot of great CUV choices in our dealerships.”  
      Debuting at major auto shows including those in Detroit, New York and Los Angeles, this new fleet of CUVs will maintain Hyundai’s promise to make customer’s lives and driving experiences better. Further, Hyundai will be the only manufacturer offering CUV customers four different fuel choices.
      “The Kona is only the beginning of our product revolution for Hyundai,” O’Brien, added. “These vehicles are aimed squarely at the sales leaders in each segment and will emphasize Hyundai’s continued focus on sustainability and efficiency without compromising performance.”
  • My Clubs

• Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook