William Maley

Ford News: Rumorpile: Ford and Lincoln Are Adding More Crossovers and SUVs!

"SUVs are the top-selling segment in the U.S. That is why we are introducing five new SUVs in the U.S. by 2020," for the Ford brand, said Mark LaNeve, Ford vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service in a statement this week. 

We already know three of the five models: EcoSport in 2018, the electric compact crossover in 2019, and the Bronco in 2020. But what about the other two? Reuters has learned from supplier sources that the models in question will be based on Ford's next-generation Focus and Fiesta.

Meanwhile, Lincoln will be getting an additional model to their crossover/utility lineup. Sources say it will be a midsize model sharing the underpinnings of the Explorer due in 2019. Currently, the model is known internally as Aviator and MKD. We hope Lincoln goes with the former and not the latter.

Source: Reuters
Pic Credit: NewspressUSA

View full article

Hope they have solid Hybrids as that will be a solid path for them.

Exciting to see what they bring out, hopefully a hybrid and EV versions too.

So this lineup is sounding really cramped but that same thing is working for Jeep so, I guess, why not? From smallest to largest: EcoSport, Fiesta-based-new, Focus-based-new, Escape, Edge, Bronco, Explorer, Expedition? I'm not sure where the Bronco will stand in its size but I assume larger than an Edge but obviously not a 3 row SUV like the Explorer..just a guess..?

I'm kind of confused with the new Focus-based one because I thought the Escape was Focus-based.. Also, three SUVs smaller than the Escape?!? Maybe the next gen Escape will grow a bit to bridge the gap between it and the Edge?

I would assume the Fiesta-based is the next generation of EcoSport, and the Focus-based is the next generation of Escape, rather than additional models?  'five new' could interpreted to mean redesigns of existing models or new models, I presume. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I would assume the Fiesta-based is the next generation of EcoSport, and the Focus-based is the next generation of Escape, rather than additional models?  'five new' could interpreted to mean redesigns of existing models or new models, I presume. 

Maybe, but this where I got tripped up on that thought. From Reuters,

In addition, Ford plans to redesign the Escape in 2018, the Explorer in 2019 and the Edge in 2021, the sources said.

19 hours ago, William Maley said:

Maybe, but this where I got tripped up on that thought. From Reuters,

So EcoSport, Escape, Explorer, Expedition, and Bronco makes 5 by 2020.    I wonder if the compact electric will be a variation of the Escape or a unique model..replacing the C-Max sort of?   (I assume the Flex will go bye-bye at some point w/ no replacement.)

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Would like to see the Expedition get the diesel out of the F-150.  The hybrid can remain as a C-max theme, no need to ruin the rest of the lineup with hybrids that will rot on the lots.  I still believe Ford was caught flatfooted by not being ready at the onset of the tiny CUV craze with a federalized Ecosport.  It is a shame that this trucklet won't be available in the U.S. until the 2018 model year (technically IIRC they can sell a 2018 model year vehicle any time after January 1st 2017, so...)

I agree with Moltie's examination of Ford's plans.  We know the Ecosport is Fiesta-based and the Escape is Focus-based already.  This begs the question of whether the 2018 Ecosport will have a shoat shelf life before an all-new model debuts globally, based off the recently debuted Fiesta we've seen.

when did LaNeve resurface at Ford?

it's like these auto execs get shuttled around teams like people shuttle players on their fantasy football teams.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Since becoming the CEO of Ford, Jim Hackett, and his management staff has had a difficult time of convincing folks about the ambitious restructuring plan that will see the lineup become more dependent on crossover and trucks, and job cuts. One group that has been quite worried about the plan are dealers.
      "There's been a lot less exposure to senior management. There's just not enough information flowing down to dealers about where the company's headed," said Jack Madden, owner of Jack Madden Ford to Automotive News.
      Ford is hoping to ease dealers later this week at the company's national dealer meeting in Las Vegas. Aside from seeing a number of new products, including the next-generation Escape and Explorer, Hackett and his team will be taking questions from dealers about the future direction of the company. 
      "It's the right medicine at the right time," Rhett Ricart, CEO of Ricart Automotive Group in Groveport, Ohio.
      "I think it will be a huge jolt for dealers' attitudes."
      Dealers aren't the only group who are wanting more information. Ford's 70,000 salaried workers around the world have been told that the $11 billion restructuring plan will include job cuts, but not providing any specifics on numbers or how or when the cuts will take place. The cuts were announced in a video message sent to employees.
      "In Ford's history, we have streamlined organizations but we rarely removed work, causing each team member to have to do more with less," Hackett said in the video, according to a transcript Ford provided to AN. Employees were told the upcoming changes would be made using "a cascading process that will involve many of you" and that they will work to eliminate "low-value" tasks. 
      "While redesigning the organization is important and it's necessary work, it's not going to be easy. But it is fundamental to us becoming the business we need to be," said Hackett.
      Ford say the message wasn't about job cuts and "said employees have appreciated the way it is handling the news." But AN reports that some employees became confused with the message being provided. Some experts say giving employees information about impending job cuts early on allows for more preparation and gives more time to look for another job. But some point out the way Ford announced the move could actually damage morale. 
      "In an absence of any information, it's stressful. People are going to be looking for more direction from the company," explained Carol Olsby, a human-resources consultant and author.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Since becoming the CEO of Ford, Jim Hackett, and his management staff has had a difficult time of convincing folks about the ambitious restructuring plan that will see the lineup become more dependent on crossover and trucks, and job cuts. One group that has been quite worried about the plan are dealers.
      "There's been a lot less exposure to senior management. There's just not enough information flowing down to dealers about where the company's headed," said Jack Madden, owner of Jack Madden Ford to Automotive News.
      Ford is hoping to ease dealers later this week at the company's national dealer meeting in Las Vegas. Aside from seeing a number of new products, including the next-generation Escape and Explorer, Hackett and his team will be taking questions from dealers about the future direction of the company. 
      "It's the right medicine at the right time," Rhett Ricart, CEO of Ricart Automotive Group in Groveport, Ohio.
      "I think it will be a huge jolt for dealers' attitudes."
      Dealers aren't the only group who are wanting more information. Ford's 70,000 salaried workers around the world have been told that the $11 billion restructuring plan will include job cuts, but not providing any specifics on numbers or how or when the cuts will take place. The cuts were announced in a video message sent to employees.
      "In Ford's history, we have streamlined organizations but we rarely removed work, causing each team member to have to do more with less," Hackett said in the video, according to a transcript Ford provided to AN. Employees were told the upcoming changes would be made using "a cascading process that will involve many of you" and that they will work to eliminate "low-value" tasks. 
      "While redesigning the organization is important and it's necessary work, it's not going to be easy. But it is fundamental to us becoming the business we need to be," said Hackett.
      Ford say the message wasn't about job cuts and "said employees have appreciated the way it is handling the news." But AN reports that some employees became confused with the message being provided. Some experts say giving employees information about impending job cuts early on allows for more preparation and gives more time to look for another job. But some point out the way Ford announced the move could actually damage morale. 
      "In an absence of any information, it's stressful. People are going to be looking for more direction from the company," explained Carol Olsby, a human-resources consultant and author.
      Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar Land Rover has already announced plans to begin electrifying their lineups beginning in 2020, but Jaguar could be going one step further. Autocar reports that the management is considering making Jaguar an EV-only brand within the next decade.
      Plans have already been drawn up for a strategy that would see Jaguar phase out its conventional lineup with fully electric models over the next five to seven years. Here is the gist of the strategy,
      A fully-electric sedan would replace the XJ sedan in two-years time. This model will take on the likes of the Tesla Model S and Porsche's upcoming Taycan. The XE and XF will be replaced by a new electric crossover that will be similar in size to Audi's e-tron crossover (possibly taking the place of the F-Pace) by 2023. 2025 would see the E-Pace replaced by the next-generation I-Pace. The upcoming large J-Pace crossover will be the sole conventional model until 2027 when an electric replacement debuts. There is talk about an electric sports car taking the place of the F-Type. It is quite the gamble that JLR is considering for the brand. But it one the brand is seriously considering for two reasons. One is that Jaguar sales have been floundering due partly to lineup having more sedans than crossovers, along with being heavily dependent on diesel. The other is that it would allow Jaguar to jump ahead of the likes of Audi and Mercedes-Benz with electric vehicles. Remember, Jaguar already has their EV on sale, while Audi and Mercedes-Benz are in the process of launching theirs.
      Source: Autocar

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Jaguar Land Rover has already announced plans to begin electrifying their lineups beginning in 2020, but Jaguar could be going one step further. Autocar reports that the management is considering making Jaguar an EV-only brand within the next decade.
      Plans have already been drawn up for a strategy that would see Jaguar phase out its conventional lineup with fully electric models over the next five to seven years. Here is the gist of the strategy,
      A fully-electric sedan would replace the XJ sedan in two-years time. This model will take on the likes of the Tesla Model S and Porsche's upcoming Taycan. The XE and XF will be replaced by a new electric crossover that will be similar in size to Audi's e-tron crossover (possibly taking the place of the F-Pace) by 2023. 2025 would see the E-Pace replaced by the next-generation I-Pace. The upcoming large J-Pace crossover will be the sole conventional model until 2027 when an electric replacement debuts. There is talk about an electric sports car taking the place of the F-Type. It is quite the gamble that JLR is considering for the brand. But it one the brand is seriously considering for two reasons. One is that Jaguar sales have been floundering due partly to lineup having more sedans than crossovers, along with being heavily dependent on diesel. The other is that it would allow Jaguar to jump ahead of the likes of Audi and Mercedes-Benz with electric vehicles. Remember, Jaguar already has their EV on sale, while Audi and Mercedes-Benz are in the process of launching theirs.
      Source: Autocar
  • My Clubs