• Greetings Guest!

CheersandGears.com was founded in 2001 and is one of the oldest continuously operating automotive forums out there.  Come see why we have users who visit nearly every day for the past 16+ years. Signup is fast and free, or you can opt for a premium subscription to view the site ad-free.

William Maley

Volvo News: Volvo CEO Admits He Wasn't Fully On Board With Four-Cylinder Plan

When Volvo announced that all of their vehicles would be powered by only four-cylinder, it caught a lot of people off guard, including Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson. Speaking with various media at the Geneva Motor Show, Samuelsson revealed that he wasn't sold on this idea. But since then, he has been convinced.

“Two years ago you could ask me that, and probably I would have had to answer a different way. But today, I’m absolutely convinced," said Samuelsson.

“The reaction of that decision has been very positive. Even in the US – the XC90 was even truck of the year in the US, a big SUV with a four-cylinder engine: that’s a good indication that we took the right decision."

Volvo explained back in 2011 the move to only using four-cylinders would help with fuel economy and future plans for hybrid variants.

Source: CarAdvice
Pic Credit: William Maley for Cheers & Gears

View full article

Still shouldn't be. Those engines are overstressed and too high strung. Lots of them are having issues. They're not limited to engines, though. Plenty of electronic issues, too. No way would I consider a new Volvo anything. 

Not Sold that a full size SUV can go the distance like my 1994 V8 Suburban with 300K miles plus. When I see heavy full size SUV's with 4 banger motors hit half a million miles with minimal, just basic maintenance, then I will say OK, I will give up my V8.

I actually expect them to go EV before going 4 banger.

7 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Still shouldn't be. Those engines are overstressed and too high strung. Lots of them are having issues. They're not limited to engines, though. Plenty of electronic issues, too. No way would I consider a new Volvo anything. 

What engine issues are you hearing about?  I'm curious because the XC90 and new XC60 are both on my radar.

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Not Sold that a full size SUV can go the distance like my 1994 V8 Suburban with 300K miles plus. When I see heavy full size SUV's with 4 banger motors hit half a million miles with minimal, just basic maintenance, then I will say OK, I will give up my V8.

I actually expect them to go EV before going 4 banger.

Volvo is going with supercharged, turbocharged, hybrid 4-cylinders at their top end. 

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Volvo is going with supercharged, turbocharged, hybrid 4-cylinders at their top end. 

That is very interesting to hear about supercharged 4 bangers. Will be interesting to see how they deal with the heat and stress long term. Did not know they were pushing the engines that hard. 

How much increase in compression are they doing? Hevy they moved to compression on their gas engines like on a diesel?

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

What engine issues are you hearing about?  I'm curious because the XC90 and new XC60 are both on my radar.

Idk the specifics, but I know our Volvo store is being flooded with XC90's for powertrain and electronic related issues. Take it with a grain of salt, but I have nothing against Volvo whatsoever, and wouldn't baselessly criticize them.

9 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Idk the specifics, but I know our Volvo store is being flooded with XC90's for powertrain and electronic related issues. Take it with a grain of salt, but I have nothing against Volvo whatsoever, and wouldn't baselessly criticize them.

Some interesting stats but they do seem to have electrical, engine and especially powertrain problems. 2016 is shown as very bad for these 3 items.

http://www.truedelta.com/Volvo-XC90/problems-292

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Volvo/XC90/

http://repairpal.com/transmission-failure-common-257

Interesting, many XC90 owners have gone through 2 transmissions in a 100,000 miles of ownership. WOW

25 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I've seen their 4-cylinder powertrains get panned for refinement as well. 6-cylinders are still the current benchmark for luxury refinement, and V8s are still preferable to those. When people talk about intangibles of credible luxury cars, the feel of larger displacement, 6+ cylinder engines is high on that list.

1 minute ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I've seen their 4-cylinder powertrains get panned for refinement as well. 6-cylinders are still the current benchmark for luxury refinement, and V8s are still preferable to those. When people talk about intangibles of credible luxury cars, the feel of larger displacement, 6+ cylinder engines is high on that list.

I haven't driven one, so I can't speak from experience. But shallow though it may be, I know I would personally much rather have a six cylinder than a double-boosted I4. Pass.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I haven't driven one, so I can't speak from experience. But shallow though it may be, I know I would personally much rather have a six cylinder than a double-boosted I4. Pass.

On a test run while I was driving a new V6 Cadenza... Which has about the standard amount of power you'd expect from a V6... I was positively spanked by an S90 T6 AWD (the double boosted 4 cylinder). It wasn't even close. From a performance perspective, the double boosted engine has it.

33 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

On a test run while I was driving a new V6 Cadenza... Which has about the standard amount of power you'd expect from a V6... I was positively spanked by an S90 T6 AWD (the double boosted 4 cylinder). It wasn't even close. From a performance perspective, the double boosted engine has it.

$60k Luxury sedan with 316 hp/295tq walks away from $35k sedan with 290 hp/253tq. Can't say you're really making a game changing point here. If Volvo's top engine couldn't move the car, they'd be up sh!t's creek.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cp-the-nerd said:

$60k Luxury sedan with 316 hp/295tq walks away from $35k sedan with 290 hp/253tq. Can't say you're really making a game changing point here. If Volvo's top engine couldn't move the car, they'd be up sh!t's creek.

The point was the 4-cylinder v. 6-cylinder. I remain largely unconvinced by turbo 4-cylinder from any brand as true replacements for a V6... however the double-boosted 4-cylinder from Volvo is the exception to that. 

It's hard to describe here, but in the Cadenza, I didn't even stand a chance... it wasn't even close. I might as well have been driving a Mirage. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Volvo is shifting production of XC60s destined for the U.S. from China to Europe in an effort to avoid a 25 percent tariff on Chinese imports.
      "We will, of course, reshuffle here and take XC60s for the U.S. from our factory in Europe, and let China produce for other markets," Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson told Reuters.
      Samuelsson went on to say that the shift has already begun.
      Earlier this month, the Trump administration slapped a 25 percent tariff on $34 billion in Chinese imports, including Volvo's XC60 and S90. Unlike the XC60, the S90 is only built in China, leaving it in a difficult place. In turn, the Chinese government increased tariffs on imported U.S. vehicles to 40 percent. 
      Source: Reuters

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Volvo is shifting production of XC60s destined for the U.S. from China to Europe in an effort to avoid a 25 percent tariff on Chinese imports.
      "We will, of course, reshuffle here and take XC60s for the U.S. from our factory in Europe, and let China produce for other markets," Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson told Reuters.
      Samuelsson went on to say that the shift has already begun.
      Earlier this month, the Trump administration slapped a 25 percent tariff on $34 billion in Chinese imports, including Volvo's XC60 and S90. Unlike the XC60, the S90 is only built in China, leaving it in a difficult place. In turn, the Chinese government increased tariffs on imported U.S. vehicles to 40 percent. 
      Source: Reuters
    • By William Maley
      The next-generation Volvo XC90, due out in 2021 as a 2022 model will follow in the S60's footsteps by not offering any sort of diesel option. Instead, Volvo will be offering a range of hybrids and electric-only powertrains.
      “We have to prioritise – we cannot do everything. So if we want to be faster in electrification we can’t say yes to everything. That’s why [the S60] has no diesel alternative and we are not planning to have a diesel alternative in any new cars. The XC90 will follow this,” said Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson to Auto Express.
      Volvo's next-generation SPA2 platform will underpin the XC90, which is designed to accept both electric and hybrid powertrains. Don't expect a major change in terms of the design. Auto Express reports that Volvo will undertake an evolutionary approach.
      Source: Auto Express

View full article
    • By William Maley
      The next-generation Volvo XC90, due out in 2021 as a 2022 model will follow in the S60's footsteps by not offering any sort of diesel option. Instead, Volvo will be offering a range of hybrids and electric-only powertrains.
      “We have to prioritise – we cannot do everything. So if we want to be faster in electrification we can’t say yes to everything. That’s why [the S60] has no diesel alternative and we are not planning to have a diesel alternative in any new cars. The XC90 will follow this,” said Volvo CEO Håkan Samuelsson to Auto Express.
      Volvo's next-generation SPA2 platform will underpin the XC90, which is designed to accept both electric and hybrid powertrains. Don't expect a major change in terms of the design. Auto Express reports that Volvo will undertake an evolutionary approach.
      Source: Auto Express
    • By William Maley
      During the reveal of the 2018 Volvo S60 last week, it was announced that the S60 T8 Polestar Engineered would be offered in "extremely limited quantities." The automaker wasn't lying as there will be 20 models up for grabs in the U.S. that will be available only through the Care by Volvo app.
      The S60 T8 Polestar Engineered packs 415 horsepower and 494 pound-feet of torque, along with Öhlins suspension, large Brembo brakes, and various interior enhancements.
      It will also be the most the expensive model in the Care by Volvo program, carrying a monthly fee of $1,100 per month. Should be noted that monthly fee does include maintenance and insurance.
      If you're interested in being one of the twenty people to get a S60 T8 Polestar Engineered, you'll need to be quick with your smartphone. Volvo says orders will open tomorrow at Noon eastern time.
      Source: Volvo

Volvo Car USA Announces On Sale Date, Pricing for S60 T8 Polestar Engineered
      ROCKLEIGH, NJ (June 27, 2018) – Volvo Car USA announced the S60 T8 Polestar Engineered sedan will be available in extremely limited quantity, with only 20 of the 415hp vehicles available in the United States. These will be available for subscription tomorrow, June 28 after noon ET, exclusively through the Care by Volvo app.

Care by Volvo customers can simply choose their S60 T8 Polestar Engineered in app and make all-inclusive, monthly payments that cover insurance, service, and maintenance. The all-inclusive pricing of the S60 T8 Polestar Engineered is $1100 per month before local taxes and registration fees.

Polestar Engineered, developed with Volvo Cars’ electric performance arm Polestar, is a complete offer, applying Polestar’s performance engineering expertise to the car’s wheels, brakes, suspension and engine control unit. The offer reflects Volvo Cars’ and Polestar’s commitment to electrification.

Additional details:
      S60 T8 eAWD Polestar Engineered Only 20 available in the United States MY19 exclusively available via the Care by Volvo App 415-hp, 494 lb/ft torque Polestar Optimized T8 Plug-In Hybrid Powertrain Polestar Engineered Öhlins Suspension Polestar Engineered Brembo Brakes with Gold Calipers Polestar Engineered Strut Bar Exclusive 19” Forged Alloy
      View full article
  • My Clubs