Jump to content
William Maley

VW News: Volkswagen NA CEO: 40 Percent of Model Mix Will Be Made of Crossovers Within A Few Years

Recommended Posts

Volkswagen sees crossovers as its savior in the U.S. marketplace. Speaking with Wards Auto, Volkswagen North America CEO Hinrich Woebcken said their model mix would change from 10 to 12 percent crossovers to 40 percent in the next few years. 

“We are shifting the brand into a position where we will enjoy more business volume because we were not present in those segments. We’re currently at 12% and the industry is nearly 60% light trucks and SUVs, so we are severely underrepresented,” said Woebcken.

To accomplish this, Volkswagen will be launching the brand-new Altas and redesign Tiguan later this year. Interestingly, Volkswagen will keep the current Tiguan for a bit to act as an entry-level model for the crossover lineup. Down the road, Volkswagen will introduce an all-new Touraeg and is considering doing another crossover using the Atlas' platform.

One vehicle that is still off the table is a truck. Rumors have been flying around about Volkswagen doing a car-based pickup (i.e. Honda Ridgeline). Woebcken said there is little interest for this at Volkswagen's HQ due to how small the segment is. 

Source: Wards Auto


View full article

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Be interesting to see how much of the market they can grab being so late to the party? :scratchchin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is a no-brainer. If you want sustainability as a mainstream maker, this is a necessity. They better get something smaller than the new Tiguan out stat! Also, pony up and give us a damn Amarok already!!

 

On a realted note, I get to go drive the new Atlas next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Everyone really wants tall station wagons, but no one wants to admit it. 

Can I get mine with rubber fender flairs and tall 36" BF Goodrich All terrains, low end lockers. I loved my Old Station wagon that we lifted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Can I get mine with rubber fender flairs and tall 36" BF Goodrich All terrains, low end lockers. I loved my Old Station wagon that we lifted.

No, sorry.  It will be 4 mini-spares, electric motors and solar panels on the roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ocnblu said:

No, sorry.  It will be 4 mini-spares, electric motors and solar panels on the roof.

:roflmao: I knew you had a good sense of humor! :roflmao: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the auto show last night and touched ! The atlas. There was a crowd of first baby urbanites milling about it. It looks in person ok but it also looks confused. Is it a Subaru Forester XL or Honda Pilot in drag?  Dude opened the doors for a bit and the interior looks Passat Jetta cheap as well. 

 

It it did look roomy and space efficient. Give it credit for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, regfootball said:

I was at the auto show last night and touched ! The atlas. There was a crowd of first baby urbanites milling about it. It looks in person ok but it also looks confused. Is it a Subaru Forester XL or Honda Pilot in drag?  Dude opened the doors for a bit and the interior looks Passat Jetta cheap as well. 

 

It it did look roomy and space efficient. Give it credit for that. 

Now this is just funny, because the Passat's interior is anything but cheap. The fit and finish is among the best in the class. Just more evidence of people mistaking over the top styling and design for quality. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eh... the plastic on the door panels is just this side of tupperware.  The HVAC controls in particular were from Fisher Price, only not that solid.  (The Atlas, not the Passat. It's been awhile since I've been in a Passat).  It was all put together really well, but the material quality isn't what I'd expect on a vehicle that will likely sell primarily in the mid-$30k range.  Some competing vehicles that have been on the market for years or are just now going out of production have better material quality than what this new Atlas is getting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But But But America Loves Tupperware, it is part of the Make America Great focus! :P

JK, But that is a sad state that today we still have auto's that are using such piss poor quality of materials.

Surprised a vendor has not just sprayed the whole interior with LineX and called it a day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2017 at 11:07 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Eh... the plastic on the door panels is just this side of tupperware.  The HVAC controls in particular were from Fisher Price, only not that solid.  (The Atlas, not the Passat. It's been awhile since I've been in a Passat).  It was all put together really well, but the material quality isn't what I'd expect on a vehicle that will likely sell primarily in the mid-$30k range.  Some competing vehicles that have been on the market for years or are just now going out of production have better material quality than what this new Atlas is getting. 

Plenty of other vehicles in this class have loads of hard plastic in them. This is nothing new. And they all have their own shortcomings, as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Plenty of other vehicles in this class have loads of hard plastic in them. This is nothing new. And they all have their own shortcomings, as well.

Yes, I'm aware there are no perfect cars.  I'm saying that the Atlas in particular was a let down on material quality especially given the levels we've come to expect from VW in the past. While the show car I was in was well put together, the whole thing felt over a decade old in materials all over. The outgoing Chevy Traverse, which I would never point to as a standard by which to do things, has much better feeling material quality than the Atlas, particularly around the switchgear and HVAC controls.   And that's the rub, the Atlas is already behind an old Chevy I don't particularly like and that is about to be replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/20/2017 at 11:19 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Yes, I'm aware there are no perfect cars.  I'm saying that the Atlas in particular was a let down on material quality especially given the levels we've come to expect from VW in the past. While the show car I was in was well put together, the whole thing felt over a decade old in materials all over. The outgoing Chevy Traverse, which I would never point to as a standard by which to do things, has much better feeling material quality than the Atlas, particularly around the switchgear and HVAC controls.   And that's the rub, the Atlas is already behind an old Chevy I don't particularly like and that is about to be replaced. 

Lol, the materials in the Traverse are NOT better than the Atlas. Not by a long shot. That's just comical.

The dash trim on the higher models is where the biggest criticism can be levied against the Atlas. The center stack and console areas are as good as or better than the rest of the class I've been in. Which is everything but the new Koreans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

Lol, the materials in the Traverse are NOT better than the Atlas. Not by a long shot. That's just comical.

The dash trim on the higher models is where the biggest criticism can be levied against the Atlas. The center stack and console areas are as good as or better than the rest of the class I've been in. Which is everything but the new Koreans.

HVAC controls and other switchgear... yeah.. it is. The Traverse has really nice dials, metal ring with rubber grips and electroluminescent numbers for the HVAC. The Atlas has flat silver plastic and they don't have a solid feel to them.   The Atlas has hard plastic on the lower dash, fine, so does the Traverse... but then VW also covered the entire inner door panel with the same stuff.  The Traverse, at least for the front seats, has a padded foam material for the upper part of the door and then the hard plastic only at the map pockets at the bottom.  The Traverse upper dash pad is hard plastic, but then the face of it is stitched material... the Atlas is all plastic face and dash upper (though I think you can get a stitched dash cover on upper trims)

2017-volkswagen-atlas-interior.jpg

mm_gal_item_c2_0.img_resize.img_stage._3.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Atlas has no more hard plastic on the door panels than the Traverse. The actual switch gear being better on the Traverse I will give you, but the upper dash material is not nicer. It doesn't have anymore soft touch materials than the Atlas. Also, the area immediately surrounding the infotainment screen is cheaper looking, with its terrible faux wood finish. Same thing the Atlas is guilty of on the dash and door panel. And the overall fit and finish is worse on the Traverse. I've seen more instances than I can count of flimsy interior pieces breaking off and coming loose in Lambdas. Especially around the seats and floor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      The U.S. Security and Exchange Commission has filed suit in San Francisco on Thursday alleging that from April 2014 through May 2015, Volkswagen fraudulently issued more than $13 Billion in bonds and securities in the U.S. market.  During that time, the SEC alleges that Winterkorn and other senior management knew about the problem with over 500,000 diesel vehicles that exceeded legal emissions limits. 
      The suit says:
      Winterkorn resigned within days of the scandal braking in 2015. 
      Volkswagen said in a statement that the lawsuit is "legally and facturally flawed" and "the company will contest it vigorously".
      Volkswagen has already agreed to pay more than $25 billion in a settlement over the dieselgate scandal to buy back defective vehicles, paying fines, and setting up funds to help build out electric vehicle infrastructure. Winterkorn has already been charged in the US.

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      The U.S. Security and Exchange Commission has filed suit in San Francisco on Thursday alleging that from April 2014 through May 2015, Volkswagen fraudulently issued more than $13 Billion in bonds and securities in the U.S. market.  During that time, the SEC alleges that Winterkorn and other senior management knew about the problem with over 500,000 diesel vehicles that exceeded legal emissions limits. 
      The suit says:
      Winterkorn resigned within days of the scandal braking in 2015. 
      Volkswagen said in a statement that the lawsuit is "legally and facturally flawed" and "the company will contest it vigorously".
      Volkswagen has already agreed to pay more than $25 billion in a settlement over the dieselgate scandal to buy back defective vehicles, paying fines, and setting up funds to help build out electric vehicle infrastructure. Winterkorn has already been charged in the US.
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Volkswagen has announced it will cut between 5,000 to 7,000 jobs through attrition and early retirement at its headquarters in Wolfsburg, Germany.  Most of the job cuts will be administrative staff.  While cutting those job, VW will be creating 2,000 new software and electronics jobs.  The cuts are part of a cost savings plan to drive 3€ Billion in annual savings by 2020 and 5.9€ billion  by 2023. 
      The move comes the day after the company announced it will increase its EV plans to build 22 million units over the next decade.  Electric vehicles are less complex to build and require fewer workers.
      Volkswagen is building a new EV platform and the first vehicle to arrive on the market will be the I.D. Neo, expected sometime in 2020.  The I.D. Neo will be built at a plant in Zwickau, Germany.  Future electric vehicles will be built in 7 additional factories including Chattanooga, Tennessee. 

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...