Quick Drive: 2017 Mazda6 Grand Touring

Mazda is already known for building vehicles that are fun to drive and is garnering one for their distinctive designs. One area that Mazda might not get a lot of credit is the constant improvements they make to their lineup. Take for example the Mazda6 sedan. Since its launch back in 2013 as a 2014 model, Mazda has been updating the 6 with new improvements and features to make it better. For example, when we drove the 2016 Mazda6 back in 2015, it featured new dashboard and infotainment system that made it more pleasant to be in. For 2017, Mazda has introduced two big changes for 6 - one dealing with handling and the other dealing with overall refinement.

• First up is Mazda’s G-Vectoring Control. This system monitors steering and throttle input (along with a few other things according to the brand), and when it deems necessary, will reduce engine power to shift weight to the front. This is said to improve overall handling in a corner.
  • Here’s the thing, I really can’t tell if this system makes the 2017 Mazda6 a better handler than the previous 6 I drove back in 2015. The model shows the sharp handling characteristics that has made it one of the best driving models in the class with little body roll and steering that feels direct. 
  • I would need to drive both a 2016 and 2017 Mazda6 back to back to see if there is a difference.
  • The other improvement for the 2017 Mazda6 will be noticed by anyone going for a ride; a quieter interior. Mazda has added a bit more sound insulation for the 6 and it makes for a more pleasant driving experience. There isn’t as much wind whistle as there was in previous 6s I have driven. You still do get a fair amount of tire noise, but that’s more due to the 19-inch wheels fitted on the Grand Touring.
  • The 19-inch wheels also make the ride slightly rough with various bumps being transmitted clearly to the backsides of you and your passengers.
  • Mazda hasn’t messed with anything else for the 2017 6 and that’s mostly a good thing. It still retains the striking good looks of the outside, especially in this bronze color seen here. 
  • The Mazda6’s interior is towards the top of the class with a modern design, high-quality materials, and an easy to understand control layout. The leather seats offer the right amount of comfort for long trips. Those sitting in the back will have no complaints in terms of head and legroom.
  • Under the hood is a 2.5L SkyActiv-G four-cylinder engine with 184 horsepower and 185 pound-feet of torque. Sport and Touring models get the option of either a six-speed manual or automatic, while the Grand Touring makes due with only the automatic.
  • The engine is a spritely performer with strong acceleration and having the power ready to go when needed. The six-speed is quick when it comes to downshifts. But the transmission does stumble when it comes to upshifts as it is slow to respond when you need that punch of power. At least the automatic transmission does feature paddles on the steering wheel to allow for some manual control to solve this.
  • The continuous updates Mazda makes to the vehicles should be applauded as it helps keep them competitive in light of tougher competition. The 2017 Mazda6 is a key example of this. You might not be able to detect one of the changes made, but the other one us quite noticeable and makes the 6 that much better.

Disclaimer: Mazda Provided the 6, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2017
Make: Mazda
Model: 6
Trim: Grand Touring
Engine: 2.5L DOHC Skyactiv-G Four-Cylinder
Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Six-Speed Automatic
Horsepower @ RPM: 184 5,700
Torque @ RPM: 185 @ 3,250
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 27/35/30
Curb Weight: 3,305 lbs
Location of Manufacture: Hofu, Japan
Base Price: $30,695
As Tested Price: $34,530 (Includes $835.00 Destination Charge)

Options:
GT Premium Package - $2,500.00
Machine Gray Metallic - $300.00
Door Sill Trim Plates - $125.00
Cargo Mat - $75.00

View full article

in terms of the tires, once the dunlops are done,..most anything will be an improvement. i put pilot sport a/s3+s on mine. much quieter. does have a ~2lb/tire weight penalty though. still love my 6, just need to fix or disconnect the passenger door sub.  any good advice to get this fixed by mazda,even though it happened after the mile warranty would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, ykX said:

That's MSRP, nobody pays MSRP

It's still crazy. It's way higher than competitors. Mazda doesn't typically run real aggressive incentives, either.

Besides, it really isn't as amazing as people make it out to be. It wouldn't make the top 3 if I were shopping in this segment.

• Agree 1

@Frisky Dingo

I disagree.  First of all if you build competitive vehicles with the same level of equipment the price will be similar or higher.  

Also, it might not be amazing but it drives very well for a 4-cylinder sedan and IMHO looks better then anything else currently in the segment (which is debatable of course).

In regards to incentives, last fall I got my dad 6 Sport for $20k. The MSRP on it was $23.8k.

On 3/30/2017 at 3:00 PM, ykX said:

@Frisky Dingo

I disagree.  First of all if you build competitive vehicles with the same level of equipment the price will be similar or higher.  

Also, it might not be amazing but it drives very well for a 4-cylinder sedan and IMHO looks better then anything else currently in the segment (which is debatable of course).

In regards to incentives, last fall I got my dad 6 Sport for $20k. The MSRP on it was $23.8k.

You can disagree all you want, but you'd be wrong. There is not a single other competitor than reaches this price when loaded up with all available options on the standard engine. The Fusion won't even come within 2 grand with the 1.5 equipped. Honda, Chevy, and Toyota are all between 30 and 32K.

@Frisky Dingo

Well, lets see

Mazda 6 GT starts at $30.5k.  The $2.5k premium package they have on this particular car gives you: regenerative braking system, active grille shutters, heated rear seats, heated steering wheel, nappa leather trimmed sports seat, led accenting.  Lets be realistic and say no other company will have such equipment on a base engine or even high trim car and most people will not take that package.  The standard Grand Touring has leather heated seats, led lighting, Navigation, Active safety system, 19-in wheels.

Accord, you can't even get to that level of equipment with 2.4L engine but EX-L has MSRP of $29.4k without the active safety  system that 6 GT has, so when you add Navigation and Honda Sensing to match Mazda the MSRP price comes to $30.9k.  So that's already a little more then Mazda.

Malibu  - you can't even get leather heated seats with base engine, you have to step up to Premier to get same level of equipment.  The MSRP goes up to $31.6k, and yes, you will have 2.0L turbo engine with 250hp.

Camry - XLE with 2.5L engine and same equipment as Mazda - MSRP $30.5k

So it appears to me that Mazda priced exactly as it should be.

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@ykX

The Mazda's MSRP is 35K.

Some of the other cars have things you can't get on the Mazda, so it works both ways. And you can get heated leather seats with the Malibu's base engine.

This is from Mazda's website for 2017 Mazda 6:

GRAND TOURING

Starting at $30,6951
HWY352
HP184
TRQ185
ENG2.5L

Also quote from the review above:

On 3/28/2017 at 9:15 AM, William Maley said:

Base Price: $30,695

@Frisky Dingo

First of all, the tested vehicle had $2.5k extra package that most people will not get or need, Secondary, I quoted prices for other cars from their respective manufacturers websites based on MSRP before taxes, destination and fees, just like the Mazda.

So just to refresh your memory since you keep insisting, from THEIR respective  manufacturer websites:

Mazda 6 Grand Touring - base MSRP $30.7k

Honda Accord EX-L - base MSRP $30.9k

Chevy Malibu Premier - base MSRP $31.6k

Toyota Camry XLE - base MSRP $30.5k

Just now, Frisky Dingo said:

@ykX

Malibu Premier has 2.0T and things like A/C seats that Mazda doesn't have. With all options, every single competitor in this segment comes in cheaper. 

Listen, I am done arguing with you because you simply don't read what I have wrote and just keep insisting even when you are proved wrong.  I went to EACH manufacturer website and build a car with compatible options.  AS I MENTIONED ABOVE with Malibu, yes you are getting a more powerful engine, but not with Accord or Camry.

You are free to check options on the base Mazda 6 Grand Touring and build other cars with compatible options and see the MSRP by yourself. 

4 minutes ago, ykX said:

Listen, I am done arguing with you because you simply don't read what I have wrote and just keep insisting even when you are proved wrong.  I went to EACH manufacturer website and build a car with compatible options.  AS I MENTIONED ABOVE with Malibu, yes you are getting a more powerful engine, but not with Accord or Camry.

You are free to check options on the base Mazda 6 Grand Touring and build other cars with compatible options and see the MSRP by yourself. 

I did. They are all cheaper. Every. Single. One.

14 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

I did. They are all cheaper. Every. Single. One.

No you didn't.

Here is from Honda website:

Your 2017 Accord Sedan EX-L CVT with Honda Sensing and Navigation 

$30,920 MSRP

Base Price $28,920

CVT Automatic

W/ 2.4L 4-CYL. ENGINE

$0   EXTERIOR COLOR

Modern Steel METALLIC

$0

INTERIOR COLOR

Black Leather

$0

Honda Sensing™

$1,000

Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™

$1,000

17-inch Alloy Wheel

$0

Subtotal

$30,920

Destination and Handling

$875
Total MSRP as Built

$31,795

1 minute ago, ykX said:

You know, it is true what they say about arguing on the internet ...

The only one arguing is you. I'm simply presenting facts. It's more expensive than rivals. And I for one, don't believe Mazda has the cachet or reputation to justify it.

@Frisky Dingo

You don't present ANY facts while I presented many, just to make my LAST point here is the one that I build on Mazda website

2017 MAZDA6

GRAND TOURING

2017 MAZDA6 GRAND TOURING $30,695
TOTAL PRICE
(MSRP)
$ 31,870
BUILD OPTIONS (1) $300
DESTINATION FEE $875

Last I checked $31870 and $31795 are basically the same (Ohh yeas Iyou are correct Mazda came out whole $75 more then Accord).  Also, Mazda Grand Touring has much more equipment then Accord EX-L.

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:13 AM, Stew said:

I really like the 6, but it is dire need of more "Zoom Zoom". 

Definitely needs a more powerful engine as an option. Something in the 230-240hp range would do well as Mazdas are typically on the lighter side anyway. Heck, they could probably get away with something like 215-220 as that's still a 30-40hp bump. (also just assuming tq would match or exceed the hp number)

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Definitely needs a more powerful engine as an option. Something in the 230-240hp range would do well as Mazdas are typically on the lighter side anyway. Heck, they could probably get away with something like 215-220 as that's still a 30-40hp bump. (also just assuming tq would match or exceed the hp number)

They could and should put that new 2.5L turbo they have now in CX-9 into Mazda 6 as an option.

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

240 to 250 would be perfect I think.  it would equal or exceed the majority of the turbo 4 midsizers out there. 

On 3/30/2017 at 1:00 PM, ykX said:

Also, it might not be amazing but it drives very well for a 4-cylinder sedan and IMHO looks better than anything else currently in the segment (which is debatable of course).

Everything in this segment is just Meh! Driving is very subjective. 

Bill did a great writeup, but for the weight to HP to me it is not impressive and after having spent time in their cars lately, due to a family member asking my input on retiring her old Mazda 6 and what to get next. I was not impressed with the auto. Yes, many changes and some improvements as I did notice how much quieter this one is over the older ones.

Style = Meh

Zoom Zoom = Meh

In ending, all auto's have gotten heavy and fat due to Safety this, Safety that, they need to either go hybrid with proper electric motors to help with the initial momentum or put in higher HP engines. 

Right now the motor lineup in Mazda is just MEH!

48 minutes ago, ykX said:

They could and should put that new 2.5L turbo they have now in CX-9 into Mazda 6 as an option.

And then replace that new Turbo with something much bigger and better in the CX-9 as it is a dog in moving that pig.

• 1 month later...

Mazda isn't capped on the upper end by having a luxury brand above it.  They seem to be trying to creep into upper territory with loads of features.  They do seem to swap out some of the interior materials for better stuff as you climb the trim ladder. 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Mazda isn't capped on the upper end by having a luxury brand above it.  They seem to be trying to creep into upper territory with loads of features.  They do seem to swap out some of the interior materials for better stuff as you climb the trim ladder. 

and they are trying to bring a(or more) safety feature down a level every year...

but they also have pretty useless stuff in it too.  like an adjustable lumbar  support in the driver's seat that... doesn't hold position...aka, pretty useless.