Item: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4

• 2 months later...

Finished the Valley of the Sun-Lake Erie Dash.  2087 miles, 46 hours, 25.5 mpg average.  Exhausted.   Jeep filthy, two rock chips on windshield, some rocker trim ripped off from running over object on I-70 west of Columbus. Wired from caffiene, need sleep. 

Was 105F when we left Phoenix Sat evening, 56F now in Cleveland. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Thanks 1

Couldn't have shipped the dogs though.   Last time I shipped a car it was about $1100, 15 years ago.  In retrospect, should have rented an RV or minivan to drive back here w the dogs.  Jeep is too small inside for all that we crammed in it.  

That said, it drove very well...smooth and comfortable for long distance driving.   .

IMG_2218.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

After almost 4 months, the Jeep has been great..really enjoying it...need to work on finishing unpacking from the move so I can use the garage, though.   Still parking outside.   Since I'm working from home, I've only put about 4000 miles on it.. 2099 of it on the drive back here.  Going to get some Weathertech mats and new tires for winter, carpeted mats and the original Goodyear Forteras aren't up to an Ohio winter...

IMG-3066.JPG

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally cleared enough space to get my Jeep in my garage.   For a 1967 suburban tract house 2 car garage, it feels small..hard to imagine a 60s full size sedan and wagon fitting in here...still have work to do to get the second spot open. 

IMG-3652.JPG

IMG-3653.JPG

Same. I would imagine my garage was pretty much useless from 1950 till 1980 for anything considered mid-size in those eras.  The Roadmaster Wagon just barely fit in there, but I had to kiss the front rubber right up to the brick

• Agree 1

• I really like the GC styling. Walked by a GC SRT at the dealer recently, I think I did a 'sharp inhale- slow exhale'. If I cared to spend that kind of money on a vehicle, it'd be a top contender.

• DD- the Roadie WagonMaster was 218" overall- even a mid-60s GTO is 207-ish. Most garages are too small, period. I did cram my '65 Bonneville in my house garage, and that was 222". Didn't have to touch the wall, but there was no squeezing around either end of it.

• Agree 3

I'd be very happy with a three-car garage. Not that I would park in it. Being in Northern California I have no real need to park in the garage. However it would give me for more room for my tools, general storage, and most importantly man cave.:D

24 minutes ago, Scout said:

I'd be very happy with a three-car garage. Not that I would park in it. Being in Northern California I have no real need to park in the garage. However it would give me for more room for my tools, general storage, and most importantly man cave.:D

I have my basement for my man cave (future project) and a spare bedroom (4 bedroom house) for my hobby room/home office.   I didn't have a garage in Arizona, wished I had one there...no protection from the dust, sun, tree needles and sap, stray cats, etc... 

5 hours ago, balthazar said:

• I really like the GC styling. Walked by a GC SRT at the dealer recently, I think I did a 'sharp inhale- slow exhale'. If I cared to spend that kind of money on a vehicle, it'd be a top contender.

• DD- the Roadie WagonMaster was 218" overall- even a mid-60s GTO is 207-ish. Most garages are too small, period. I did cram my '65 Bonneville in my house garage, and that was 222". Didn't have to touch the wall, but there was no squeezing around either end of it.

I was looking up Eighty-Eights and LeSabres. 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Had it out in it's first snow today...grubby.   34k miles, running great, new Michelins are great.   Who knows, I bought in AZ in April, it had come straight from a corporate lease in Costa Mesa, may never have been in snow before. 

IMG-4019.JPG

IMG-4020.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

If it was living imagine it would feel like a puppy discovering something new....

Speaking of, this is the first winter for my dogs--all were from Phoenix.   Had a couple of them out yesterday, one didn't like it, another was hopping in the snow... (the red one looking longingly out the window)

IMG-3990.JPG

IMG-3997.JPG

IMG-4005.JPG

IMG-4016.JPG

IMG-4017.JPG

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 months later...

One year mark on the Jeep coming up this Saturday.  Took it in for an oil + filter change, air filter, cabin air filter, tire rotation.   Did a UConnect update at home last week.  I've put slightly over 10k miles on it in the first year--working from home it sits a lot, and 2000 miles of that was done in 2 days last June.  Very happy with my second Jeep. 

• Agree 2

• 6 months later...

Can we use 'RoHa'? ;) I dunno, after like 15 years, it's going to be tough.

Me; I have to maintain my internet aliases in order to skate when the authorities catch on to me, so I can disavow all my online conspiracy theories. Just recently, it occurred to me that the OEMs might be trying to get rid of tailfins.

Edited by balthazar
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Its an alien invasion.

Is this Invasion of the Body Snatchers "Re-Boot"?

2 hours ago, balthazar said:

Can we use 'RoHa'? ;) I dunno, after like 15 years, it's going to be tough.

Me; I have to maintain my internet aliases in order to skate when the authorities catch on to me, so I can disavow all my online conspiracy theories. Just recently, it occurred to me that the OEMs might be trying to get rid of tailfins.

I say let em come for ya if they can, after all without conspiracy theories, they will die of total boredom. :P 

• Agree 1

• 7 months later...

At the dealer yesterday and today..went in yesterday for the 40k service incl. oil change and filter, air filter and cabin air filter, new wiper blades, tire rotation.  Went back today to get the passenger side mirror replaced (I cracked out the housing a couple months ago backing out of the garage).     Swapped the floor mats from winter Weathertechs to summer carpet mats, ready for summer. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hit 45k miles this afternoon, so I've put almost 20k miles on it in 28 months.  Running great.  6 hours driving to Detroit and back yesterday and it was fine..comfortable as always.

IMG-2365.JPG

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1

GREAT ute. Power, comfort, refinement, solidity, day to day useability...even Bob Lutz had a clip where he describes how perfect of a package these are on Automotive News.

45k baby. Friend has the same 2014 with 110k+ miles on it now, still great. Keep going!

Edited by caddycruiser
  • Agree 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Robert Hall said:

Woo hoo...beautiful sunny day, hit the 50k mark.  Jeep is running great.

IMG-4608.jpg

Good to know. I didn't know they had such a high trailering capacity. 6200 pounds IIRC. Ironically just turned 50k on the Aveo when I went to pick up a chainsaw.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...

March 31st made 4 years since I bought this Jeep w/ 25k miles.  April 1st was the first road trip I took, from Phoenix up to Prescott and back down through the mountains to Wickenburg then back to Phoenix.    I took this pic somewhere south of Prescott.    

It's been trouble free for 4 years and an additional 25k miles.  May the next 4 years be uneventful. 

17630154_10212681184734407_1843789866823790620_n.jpg

• Agree 3

42 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

March 31st made 4 years since I bought this Jeep w/ 25k miles.  April 1st was the first road trip I took, from Phoenix up to Prescott and back down through the mountains to Wickenburg then back to Phoenix.    I took this pic somewhere south of Prescott.    

It's been trouble free for 4 years and an additional 25k miles.  May the next 4 years be uneventful. 

With how little you're driving lately, it will probably take 8 years to get another 25k miles.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

With how little you're driving lately, it will probably take 8 years to get another 25k miles.

Yeah, 4 years of WFH incl. a year of CV staying home has resulted in the miles accumulating slowly... went to the beach and put about 50 miles on it last Saturday, which was the most in a while...

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Robert Hall said:

Yeah, 4 years of WFH incl. a year of CV staying home has resulted in the miles accumulating slowly... went to the beach and put about 50 miles on it last Saturday, which was the most in a while...

Somehow, even with partial WFH, I'm already at 10,000 miles on the truck since August.  I don't even know where I'm driving to be doing that.  But I also noticed this week that I've put only 1,000 miles on the Toronado since June.  So since Sunday the truck has been parked and I've been taking the Toronado when I need to go places and I'm moving back to WFH a lot more. And of course taking the bike on every nice day I can.

• Like 1

Yeah, really haven't been leaving the house except for the occasional vet appointment or to get takeout.  Still doing Doordash/Grubhub, Instacart for groceries, and Amazon Prime for everything else....  went and got my first vaccine shot last week, had to drive to a hospital in another suburb..seemed so odd to be driving in morning rush hour traffic..

• Like 1

Wife and I are fully vaccinated now, got our second shot of Pfizer last week. No side affects for me, but by the time I got home the day of the booster shot, the wife said everything was fuzzy and she was tired. Slept like crazy the rest of that day and till the next morning then she was fine. Very crazy on how it reacts to each person.

Wishing you all the best @Robert Hall for the booster shot.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, David said:

Wife and I are fully vaccinated now, got our second shot of Pfizer last week. No side affects for me, but by the time I got home the day of the booster shot, the wife said everything was fuzzy and she was tired. Slept like crazy the rest of that day and till the next morning then she was fine. Very crazy on how it reacts to each person.

Wishing you all the best @Robert Hall for the booster shot.

I got the 1st shot of Pfizer, and other than a sore shoulder I was fine the first day.  But then I had insomnia the next two nights and was pretty exhausted and fuzzy the following days.  Not sure if was from my insomnia or a drug interaction w/ my regular prescription sleep meds. 

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

After only putting 1500 miles on my Jeep between March '20 and June of this year, I've put 2k on it since June...every weekend since Labor Day I've gone to different Lake Erie beaches and state parks along the North Coast.   Have just over 53k miles now and it's running great.

IMG-5639.jpg

• Agree 2

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...