Auras are on the road!

Well the Saturn Aura is on the roads here in Michigan. And they are what looks like to me as close as you can get to a production car. I have been a skeptic of the Aura but now that I have seen one in person, up close, I have changed my mind. They look very nice and I dare say elegant! The interior was everything that the pictures show. And yes the wheels need to be changed, a little boring for my tastes. But all in all if I were to be shopping for nice family sedan I would consider one of these.

For some reason, those wheels do not look right on the Aura, though.  The Aura's overall design, though, seems to be a Chrysler thing. ^_^

I think Aura styling is more European than a sad attempt at copying the cloud cars at Chrysler. The cloud cars original intention were to look more European afterall.

Regardless, the Aura also looks noticeably more expensive than the Cirrus/Sebring or Status/Avenger... lets leave Breeze out of this.

Aura

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stratus

Posted Image

Posted Image

refresh

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cirrus

Posted Image

Posted Image

refresh (renamed Sebring)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sorry, but the Aura puts both generations to shame... The Aura is not a 1990's throw-back.

You've got to be kidding me that you don't see striking resemblances to the last gen Status/Sebring. Take a close look at the two side by side and note the body lines of the lower half of the vehicle. You can't tell me that the line that comes from the front end, over the fender flares, along the rocker panel, and again at the back bumper isn't a almost duplicate.

Also the taillights have almost a similar shapeing to them from the last gen Sebring. The wheels, while not the exact same number of spokes, still invoke that impression to the consumer. And the shape of the greenhouse is also similar. I'm not saying these things are spot on, but they are not different enough to not be compared.

To me there is really nothing too revolutionary about this car. While I admit when I first saw it at the 2005 Autoshow, I fell in love almost instantly, it was the aggressive fender arches and grill that did it for me. The more I see the production model, the more I turn up my nose at the thought of owning what appears to be a new rendition of the Sebring...BOOORRRINGGG!!!

The only thing I like on this car is the crease at the Beltline(shoulder) line. Gives it at least a little bit of brute

PS. Nice Honda Civic Chrome Grill bar...haha

A design cue blantantly copied by Honda from Opel/Vauxhal, who have previewed/used for some time.  Even the Aura concept previewed this cue before the Civic was shown.

2003 Accord...

Posted Image

Let's leave it as a coincidence.

Edited by empowah

A design cue blantantly copied by Honda from Opel/Vauxhal, who have previewed/used for some time.  Even the Aura concept previewed this cue before the Civic was shown.

Your right I'm forgetting that Aura Concept was shown before the introduction of the new Civic. Prior to the Aura, I hadn't really had much insight into Opel/Vauxhall, so I was not aware this was used there previously as well. Thanks for correcting me on this.

:pokeowned:

Yeah I noticed that too and even the Mazdaspeed6 still uses the bar, body colored now.

Lets be real guys Mazda used it first.

Saturn is becoming GM Europe (Opel/Vauxhall)... much of the styling cues are not new to GM... just to the US market:

1995 Vauxhall Vectra

Posted Image

1995 Vauxhall Astra Convertible

Posted Image

1999 Vauxhall Astra Van Sportiv

Posted Image

2000 Vauxhall VX 220

Posted Image

So I wouldn't say GM checked out any of the Japanese for styling direction... GM found everything Saturn needed in Vauxhall.

>:( Leave the breeze out!?!?!?!?

No disrespect meant towards your 1999 Plymouth Breeze. The Breeze was chrome free and did not make it past the refresh. The refreshed cloud car sedans (Sebring & Stratus sedans) are really the only two that have a slight resemblance to the Aura. Even then, they don't look as sophisticated or expensive as the Aura.

Saturn is becoming GM Europe (Opel/Vauxhall)... much of the styling cues are not new to GM... just to the US market:

1995 Vauxhall Vectra

Posted Image

1995 Vauxhall Astra Convertible

Posted Image

1999 Vauxhall Astra Van Sportiv

Posted Image

2000 Vauxhall VX 220

Posted Image

So I wouldn't say GM checked out any of the Japanese for styling direction... GM found everything Saturn needed in Vauxhall.

I think these pics clarify everything. It's a GM design after all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And see... My favorite was the Cirrus. It's a shame that mine was cursed with a Mitsubishi engine.

Agree regarding the Mitsubishi engine. I don't know about the first generation, but the second generation of Cloud Cars had a 2.4L turbo in Mexico. THat would have been great in Mk 1 Clouds with a manual transmission.

My Breeze has the 2.0L engine used in Neons and later export PT Cruisers.

pretty sure i saw one while in southern Ill. (business run across the river) today, only saw the tail by the time i thought it was the aura, looked like those rear lights.

...wasn't driving , but looking out his window briefly, saw something zoom by and thusly looked out the back of the cargo van...

:pokeowned:

Yeah I noticed that too and even the Mazdaspeed6 still uses the bar, body colored now.

Lets be real guys Mazda used it first.

The chrome bar with brand logo centered bit is as old as dirt itself. Mercury was doing it in the mid 90s.

1998 Mercury Mystique

Posted Image

1996 Mercury Sable

Posted Image

1995 Grand Marquis

Posted Image

I think Aura styling is more European than a sad attempt at copying the cloud cars at Chrysler. The cloud cars original intention were to look more European afterall.

Regardless, the Aura also looks noticeably more expensive than the Cirrus/Sebring or Status/Avenger... lets leave Breeze out of this.

The stratus was gross. It doesn't even look similar.