My NEW.. 1966 Chevy Impala SS

Leave it to Balthy to notice a thread like this one.

I saw this thread as soon as you posted it and I wanted to give you a "Hell Yeah!"

But since you wanna ignore me and tell me you regret you told me about this place just because I dont put up with some of your bullshyte, (yet more often than not I do respect you for it) (but I think you are pissed at me 'cause Im fed up of your bosom buddy El Kabong although I respected him too at one time...) I decided to ignore it...

Not that you care...I dont either...

Nice ride.

I hope you enjoy her!

With that being said, Ill be seeing you in the ring. Oh yes...dems are fightin' words!                                                         

• Agree 1

Tough call had the Impala been my car.

Why?

Those rims you got on her now, the Corvette style steelies, those rock! 14 inchers dont bother me!

American Racing Torque Thrust II wheels...well, they define muscle cars, so they'd rock even more!!! Especially 17 inchers on this big bad boy. Because I have to admit, bigger rims on this big car with those big wheel wells will look better though!

And those that you got on the STS also rock!

For me it be between the Corvette style steelies or the Torque Thrust II. And it be a very difficult decision to make!

396...AWESOME!!!

Edited by oldshurst442

If the STS rims are metric, then just use a metric to standard rim plate converter. Might make the tires stick out a bit farther now that I think about it. 

The rims on there are nice, but it seems everyone has those. I do like the Torque II best. 

STS is 5 x 115 (4.53"). '60s Chevy typical BC is 5 x 4.75. That's not going to interface.

just use a metric to standard rim plate converter

^ These are a new one on me, but apparently they have these. Will increase your track by 2.5" (1.25" per side, but may be the answer as long as the rear tires don't rub.
https://jet.com/product/4pc-125-Black-Wheel-Adapters-5x475-to-5x45-CHANGES-BOLT-PATTERN-with-12x15-studs/7aaa330d861e492ea219e6636882d2f3

Edited by balthazar

23 minutes ago, balthazar said:

STS is 5 x 115 (4.53"). '60s Chevy typical BC is 5 x 4.75. That's not going to interface.

^ These are a new one on me, but apparently they have these. Will increase your track by 2.5" (1.25" per side, but may be the answer as long as the rear tires don't rub.
https://jet.com/product/4pc-125-Black-Wheel-Adapters-5x475-to-5x45-CHANGES-BOLT-PATTERN-with-12x15-studs/7aaa330d861e492ea219e6636882d2f3

Yeah 1966 Impala is Standard: 5 X 4.75  = Metric:  5 X 120.7 
So the American Racing it will be.. 

GREAT looking Impala, Casa!

Honestly, I also love the color it is now. I wouldn't change it either. It's a great color of the car!

I also think the wheels on it now look almost perfect for the car. I dig the American Racing wheels but not the STS ones(for this car) at all. 17" (great size w/o being too big or small on this car) Torque II's would look bad. ass.

Keep us updated and MOAR PICS!

• Agree 1

:omfg:. Sweet ride. I agree 17s are as big as you should go on rims. Both for looks and comfort. And the color is also good. Much more unique than a black Impala. 

Just wondering,. Is that a #s matching SS or a clone car?  Knowing you I'm guessing it's the real deal. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, ccap41 said:

On the color again.. I love how dark it is. At night, it probably looks black already. Then you get some sun on it...and the color comes out to play.. I love that color.

Thanks.. It actually has a little bit of metal flake in it. And yeah.. at night it is more like a black plum.. yeah.. like the one on the left

plums.jpg

• Agree 1

Ill keep this late 1970s reminiscing theme going on.

My dad had a 1979 Impala. A dark red Impala.

OK...nowhere near as an awesome a colour as your sweet as phoque Impala...I don't think it was a metallic colour either. It may have been. I just don't remember. And..a 1979 Impala aint exactly a mouth watering visual piece of art as the 1966 is...

Just thinking about my care free youth days.

I guess Chevy does run deep with me!  COOL!

3 minutes ago, Scout said:

:omfg:. Sweet ride. I agree 17s are as big as you should go on rims. Both for looks and comfort. And the color is also good. Much more unique than a black Impala. 

Just wondering,. Is that a #s matching SS or a clone car?  Knowing you I'm guessing it's the real deal. 

Real deal. Completely vetted. Just installed a Wood Steering wheel .. looks slick. Yes that is a CLUB.. LOL... Dash needs a repaint so this weekend if its nice.. the masking will begin. Same color.. which is like a goldish tan

20170406_113342.jpg

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Ill keep this late 1970s reminiscing theme going on.

My dad had a 1979 Impala. A dark red Impala.

OK...nowhere near as an awesome a colour as your sweet as phoque Impala...I don't think it was a metallic colour either. It may have been. I just don't remember. And..a 1979 Impala aint exactly a mouth watering visual piece of art as the 1966 is...

Just thinking about my care free youth days.

I guess Chevy does run deep with me!  COOL!

I hate many of the late 70s cars, but I have t give props to the Malibu of that time if done right now.. at less than 3000 lbs it can be made to be a helluva Hot rod

hrdp-1302-26-fastest-street-cars-in-amer

• Agree 1

Awesome. Numbers matching cars like yours are becoming a rarity. You should take before and after pictures of the process and progress so you can share with us.  Just to keep us all drooling.  Also I think it's great that you are keeping the same colors. It's nice to see the cars as stock as possible.

Edited by Scout

6 minutes ago, dfelt said:

ImpalaSS.jpg

Casa is this not what yours would look like?

Perfection. What size are those wheels. Love the deep dish. The lack of the pinstripe is reason enough to get this car painted.. even if I leave the car the same color. 

Just now, Scout said:

Awesome. Numbers matching cars like yours are becoming a rarity. You should take before and after pictures of the process and progress so you can share with us.  Just to keep us all drooling. 

LOL.. I will. Again its not much more I can do except the interior cosmetics, exterior paint (if I decide to) and the wheels. The Electrical issue with the wipers will be dealt with hopefully this weekend as well.. depending on the weather. Mechanically it is very strong. It sounds like a damn dream. The cam just "lomp.. womp womp.. loomp"i70mfl.jpg

14 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Perfection. What size are those wheels. Love the deep dish. The lack of the pinstripe is reason enough to get this car painted.. even if I leave the car the same color. 

This was sold recently at Barrett-Jackson

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-CHEVROLET-IMPALA-SS-CUSTOM-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-137955

The rims are 18" front and 20" rear.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scout said:

Cmicasa might want these dice

#1.jpg

50 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This was sold recently at Barrett-Jackson

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1966-CHEVROLET-IMPALA-SS-CUSTOM-2-DOOR-HARDTOP-137955

The rims are 18" front and 20" rear.

18 and 20s?? Interesting combo. My seats are exactly the same. I will check into that. I wonder if he had to do any under-fender mods

The Orioles beat the Blue Jays twice so far to open up the season...

That Impala with the 18s up front  and 20s in the back has a very nice stance to her. Classy and aggressive at the same time. That is a knock-out look you should be striving to achieve as well since you just mentioned that you are willing to open the door to customization more than just taking rims off of one car and putting them on the Impala.

Pin striping is also a must with this car! You should do it!  Not too crazy like those low riders, but a nice hood pin strip and some that goes along the side of the body complimenting those long sides!

12 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

you just mentioned that you are willing to open the door to customization more than just taking rims off of one car and putting them on the Impala.

As long as there is no cutting involved. IMO Sawzall and rare classic metal are not good combos, and should never meet each other.  For those that believe it must be done, a higher volume less collectible/desirable/valuable car is preferable.  

• Agree 1

Sadly GM did away with the home page to their Monte Carlo SS Performance upgraded auto project but someone at montecarloss.com did capture all the pictures and info.

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1003486&page=all

Like the Impala, I would love a ride like this one. Freakin HOT! :metal: 

3 hours ago, Scout said:

As long as there is no cutting involved. IMO Sawzall and rare classic metal are not good combos, and should never meet each other.  For those that believe it must be done, a higher volume less collectible/desirable/valuable car is preferable.  

The only higher volume than the '66 Impala is the '65 Impala.

30 minutes ago, balthazar said:

The only higher volume than the '66 Impala is the '65 Impala.

And how many of those are/were #s matching 396 SS's?  Of those that were,. How many are left. Of those that are left, how many are unmolested Originals?

• Agree 1

Chevy built 118,400 Impala SS V8s in '66. That aside, 'building your own' has likely upped the number of survivors 10 times over.

The point is the '65-66 Impala, en total, is the most common year/make/model car in history. But I do agree; if it's an original SS 396, better to cut a non-SS Impy and apply the 'clone' touches.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Sadly GM did away with the home page to their Monte Carlo SS Performance upgraded auto project but someone at montecarloss.com did capture all the pictures and info.

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1003486&page=all

Like the Impala, I would love a ride like this one. Freakin HOT! :metal: 

hey it was no mention of the offset on that Red Impala was it?

3 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Chevy built 118,400 Impala SS V8s in '66. That aside, 'building your own' has likely upped the number of survivors 10 times over.

The point is the '65-66 Impala, en total, is the most common year/make/model car in history. But I do agree; if it's an original SS 396, better to cut a non-SS Impy and apply the 'clone' touches.

Insane that over 750K Impala was sold in 66.. and over 1 million in '65. Imagine that is more than some makers sell in one year. 

4 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

The Orioles beat the Blue Jays twice so far to open up the season...

That Impala with the 18s up front  and 20s in the back has a very nice stance to her. Classy and aggressive at the same time. That is a knock-out look you should be striving to achieve as well since you just mentioned that you are willing to open the door to customization more than just taking rims off of one car and putting them on the Impala.

Pin striping is also a must with this car! You should do it!  Not too crazy like those low riders, but a nice hood pin strip and some that goes along the side of the body complimenting those long sides!

yeah.. i'm looking into that. The wheels from the STS I'm selling tomorrow. I have a buyer and they have been cluttering up my storage area for 8 years

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, balthazar said:

But I do agree; if it's an original SS 396, better to cut a non-SS Impy and apply the 'clone' touches.

I  too share this sentiment with all classic cars!

This train of thought is how Jay Leno views his restorations. Its OK to modernize certain things like brakes for safety reasons, but the clone route is perfect for the sawzalls and the body tucks and the blacking out of the chrome trim and stuff!

5 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I  too share this sentiment with all classic cars!

This train of thought is how Jay Leno views his restorations. Its OK to modernize certain things like brakes for safety reasons, but the clone route is perfect for the sawzalls and the body tucks and the blacking out of the chrome trim and stuff!

I am certain that about 10 minutes ago I made a post saying almost the exact same thing with almost the exact same quoted text. WTF happened? As I do not post here very often I'm wondering is that common?

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Scout said:

I am certain that about 10 minutes ago I made a post saying almost the exact same thing with almost the exact same quoted text. WTF happened? As I do not post here very often I'm wondering is that common?

It has never happened to me...so I dont know...BTW, this site is a trillion times more stable than Motor Trend!

Maybe get @Drew Dowdell attention to it...

But yeah, great minds think alike! 

3 hours ago, Scout said:

Server doesn't show any blips since I rebooted it for updates last night. Apache and MySQL have both been running for 23 hours.

Impala production number was down for '66 partially because Chevrolet took the '65 Z-18 Caprice Custom 4-dr hardtop option and introduced it as a separate 4-model series for '66. The increasing popularity of the intermediates was another factor (Chevelle). 

• 1966 •
Impala : 654,900
Caprice : 181,000
subTOTAL : 835,900
Then figure in the other full-sizers:
Bel Air : 236,600
Biscayne: 122,400
full-size wagons : 185,500

TOTAL : 1,380,400

Out of the above, there were 118,400 SS V8s and 900 6-cyl SSs. 

4 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

All good. I think I'm gonna go with 17x8 17x9 with 8mm offset staggered. The 20s in the back look nice but I want a lil more rubber than they are able to provide. 

I think that's a good size to go with. Could be a little wider if I'm being picky.

It's funny reading offsets for completely different vehicles as I'm looking at wheels myself and the offset is +45. +8 literally would not fit in my wheel wells. They'd be sticking out like 3 inches, lol.

Edited by ccap41

^^^ Yeah that's crazy.. Those numbers I got from a forum where a member with the same set-up.. We'll see. The STS rims are a non-talker now since a buyer just swung thru and picked them up around 12.. I got $600 for them.. which isn't bad considering they are 12 years old and the tires were worn

On 4/7/2017 at 5:03 AM, Cmicasa the Great said:

All good. I think I'm gonna go with 17x8 17x9 with 8mm offset staggered. The 20s in the back look nice but I want a lil more rubber than they are able to provide. 

THIS!!!  A classic '66 Impala (first brand-new car my parents owned was a gold '66 Impala sedan) should not have such low-profile tires that you have no sidewall at all.  17's are perfect for this car, and you can't beat a Torque Thrust on classic American iron.

I love the car Casa!  Absolutely beautiful.  One day I would really like to build a '65 Riviera Grand Sport but that's a loooong way off.  Gotta get my boy through college first.

Anyway, congrats on that Impala.  I expect to see many more pictures and progress reports.

12 hours ago, The Burg said:

THIS!!!  A classic '66 Impala (first brand-new car my parents owned was a gold '66 Impala sedan) should not have such low-profile tires that you have no sidewall at all.  17's are perfect for this car, and you can't beat a Torque Thrust on classic American iron.

I love the car Casa!  Absolutely beautiful.  One day I would really like to build a '65 Riviera Grand Sport but that's a loooong way off.  Gotta get my boy through college first.

Anyway, congrats on that Impala.  I expect to see many more pictures and progress reports.

Of course. I bought the ARs in 17x8 17x9. Any clue on what the tires size I should shoot for. I'm thinking 245/50/17 on fr and 245/45/17on rear

Very nice Impala. Back in the day when I was a young-un, one of the neighbor's sold a '64 Impala SS hardtop and replaced it with a '66 Impala SS convertible. White with red bucket seat interior and 396 under the hood. Pretty cars. I love the cars from my youth.