• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

William Maley

2018 Buick Enclave Debuts In Avenir Trim: Comments

To say the Buick Enclave was well past its sell-by-date would be an understatement. But to be fair, the Enclave was one of Buick's best-sellers. The 2018 Enclave that debuted tonight in New York has some big shoes to fill.

The basic shape of the 2018 Enclave is the same as the outgoing model. What has changed are the front and rear ends. Buick's designers took the front off the Avista concept and put it onto the Enclave. The distinct grille with the Buick emblem floating and slim headlights are here. Around back is a restyled tailgate with a large chrome bar and narrow taillights.

Buick borrowed the dash from LaCrosse for the Enclave's interior with flowing curves, high-quality materials, and an 8-inch screen featuring the latest version of the Intelllink infotainment system. In terms of seating, Enclave can seat up to seven people. Buick says overall space has increased by 10 percent and with the 3rd-row up, offers up 23.6 cubic feet of space.

Power still comes from a 3.6L V6 offering up 302 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. A nine-speed automatic and the choice of either front-wheel or all-wheel drive.

Buick also used this event to launch the Avenir subbrand with the Enclave being the first model. Avenir models feature special badging, 20-inch wheels, LED headlights, contrast stitching and piping on the seats, dual moonroofs, navigation, and the rearview mirror/camera that has debuted on the Cadillac CT6 and XT5.

The 2018 Buick Enclave hits dealers this fall.

Source: Buick
Press Release is on Page 2

First-Ever Enclave Avenir Offers Progressive, Family-Oriented Luxury

• Enclave ushers in the arrival of Buick’s new luxury sub-brand

NEW YORK — Debuting with the 2018 Buick Enclave, the new Avenir sub-brand represents the highest expression of Buick luxury. Avenir offers unique styling cues and an extensive set of standard features and premium materials throughout the vehicle. New and versatile functionality, interior spaciousness, and intuitive technologies build on the Enclave’s established popularity.

Smart innovation and style come standard on the 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir. Buick-first Evonik Acrylite exterior lighting illuminates the road ahead with the power of more than 100 LEDs across the vehicle. A Rear Camera Mirror provides a clearer, broader view of what’s behind. And in-vehicle ionization leaves the air cleaner and fresher. It’s all packaged within an elegant design that combines concept car inspiration with improved interior luxury amenities and roominess for up to seven passengers.

“The Enclave has been a successful formula for the Buick brand, with sales results that have defied traditional product cycles, and 90 percent of customers purchasing in the top two trim levels,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC. “It’s a beacon for the modern, attainable luxury Buick stands for and is a natural place to launch Avenir.”

Enclave Avenir highlights

• Avenir model comes standard with extensive active safety, connectivity and luxury features for a simple and convenient buying experience.
  • It has an all-new body structure for safety, strength and mass efficiency, plus 17 radar, camera and ultrasonic sensors when fully equipped.
  • It accommodates seven passengers comfortably and offers more cargo volume behind the first row than the Acura MDX, Audi Q7 and Infiniti QX60.
  • Standard hands-free power-programmable liftgate with a Buick tri-shield logo illuminates the ground below the hidden sensor and power-folding third row.
  • Avenir-exclusive 3-dimensional mesh grille, badging, pearl nickel 20-inch aluminum wheels and luxurious interior materials are standard.
  • Buick-first Rear Camera Mirror is standard on Avenir.
  • Buick-first Evonik Acrylite lighting technology provides a distinctive light signature.
  • Tow capacity of up to 5,000 pounds is more than enough to tow a typical 21-foot sport boat.
  • A standard 3.6L V-6 engine with stop/start technology, Buick-estimated 302 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque is paired with a nine-speed automatic transmission.
  • Standard five-link rear suspension and available continuously variable real-time damping (CDC) offer a refined, isolated ride.
  • Available intelligent AWD with active twin-clutch rear differential and Buick-first switchable AWD help improve control and efficiency.

Avenir: Buick’s highest expression of exclusive style, inclusive luxury

All Avenir models will feature an exclusive 3-dimensional mesh grille paired with chrome wings inspired by Buick concept cars. Additional Enclave Avenir notable styling cues include 20-inch, six-spoke wheels with a pearl nickel finish; five premium exterior colors; an Avenir Chestnut and Ebony interior with piping on the seats and contrasting stitching; embroidered first-row headrests; Avenir floor-mats; a wood-accented steering wheel; and bold Avenir-scripted sill plates on all four doors.

A wide array of advanced technologies and interior features emphasizing premium comfort and inclusive luxury comes standard in the Enclave Avenir, including heated and ventilated front seats; heated second-row seats; navigation; wireless charging; a dual moonroof; an 8-inch diagonal reconfigurable cluster display; a 360-degree surround vision camera system for easier parking; and a rear camera mirror that can function as a traditional mirror or as a camera, eliminating obstructions such as heads and headrests while expanding the rear field of vision by an estimated 300 percent.

Available adaptive cruise control and full speed Forward Automatic Braking offer customers even more safety feature options, and a premium suspension with continuously variable real-time damping (CDC) provides a smooth, comfortable ride, with enhanced body control and handling in Sport mode.

“This is a vehicle intended for Buick customers who demand the best and the latest our brand has to offer,” said Aldred.

Elegant design and functionality define the all-new Buick Enclave

The Enclave’s new design architecture enables a balanced, athletic appearance. New proportions give it a sleeker look with aerodynamic benefits for efficiency. The roofline is lower, the windshield is sharper and the wheelbase is extended, giving the vehicle a more dramatic stance. Its sculpted body creates a windswept appearance. Its interior is inviting and harmonious.

Extensive use of LEDs is integrated into Buick’s first application of Evonik Acrylite technology and bi-functional LED projector headlamps and LED tail lamps. The technology’s compound curvature application creates a smooth, uniform and recognizable appearance that will make the Enclave stand out on the road. IntelliBeam headlamps also allow drivers to experience better road illumination and improved visibility without having to manually switch the high beams on and off.

A significantly enhanced suite of available advanced safety technologies is engineered to help drivers monitor their surroundings and feel confident when behind the wheel. Standard safety equipment on all 2018 Enclaves includes a rear vision camera, rear park assist and seven air bags, including a front center side airbag. Among the available crash-avoidance technologies are rear cross traffic alert, front pedestrian braking, lane keep assist with lane departure warning, safety alert seat and surround vision.

Having leveraged the first-generation Enclave as a benchmark for quietness, the 2018 Enclave cabin is engineered to further minimize unwanted interior noise through its honed exterior shapes, sealing and sound-deadening acoustics and strategic use of materials throughout. QuietTuning and active noise cancellation enhancements help to reduce, block and absorb noise, keeping it from entering the cabin. A 10-speaker Bose Premium sound system with new components, new tuning and a redesigned bass enclosure further enhances the sound experience.

Another lifestyle-enhancing feature in the Enclave interior is an air ionizer that eliminates odors and provides higher air quality. It works by producing negatively charged particles that attract air-borne contaminants and break down their structure, cleaning the cabin air. The ionizer can help address external and internal odors and reduce bacteria, viruses, dust, debris and pollen, while also helping improve driver alertness. It requires no maintenance or filter replacement.

Enclave’s interior has flexible cargo solutions for large and small items. The vehicle has 10 percent more cubic feet of overall interior space when including the hidden underfloor storage, and 23.6 cubic feet of cargo space behind the third row. Other space enhancements include a 10-inch-deep dry underfloor storage with 3.1 cubic feet of space.

Second- and third-row seating fold flat to create a wide, nearly-flat load floor. A power-folding third row makes reconfiguring more convenient, while second-row SmartSlide Seats provide easy access to the third row. On the passenger side, the SmartSlide seat provides pitch slide functionality to allow access even with an empty forward-facing child seat installed (using the LATCH system).

Additional standard equipment on every 2018 Enclave includes keyless entry and push-button start, a hands-free power-programmable liftgate with a Buick tri-shield logo illuminating the ground below the hidden sensor, tri-zone automatic climate control, universal home remote and more.

Every Enclave also comes equipped with an OnStar 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot (AT&T data plan purchase required after limited data trial period) and five years of the OnStar Basic Plan[1] at no additional cost. Among other benefits like an industry-leading myBuick app, this connectivity plan features OnStar Smart Driver, an opt-in service designed to help Buick owners maximize their vehicle’s overall performance and become better drivers.

A frameless 8-inch diagonal infotainment system with Teen Driver, Rear Seat Reminder[2], and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility is standard. Every Enclave features Rear Seat Reminder2, an industry-first feature designed to remind drivers to check the back seat as they exit their vehicles under certain circumstances.

The Enclave will continue to be manufactured in Lansing, Michigan, and goes on sale in the fall of 2017. Pricing and other details will be announced later this year.

View full article

No major changes to the profile.  Interior is a drastic upgrade... I'm sure it'll sell well.  Would like to see an optional more-powerful engine.  Hopefully some weight loss came with this model, and with the slightly more powerful engine and 9-speed, it'll please the masses.

it's still the most cohesive large SUV design-wise of them all, but I for one will miss the signature Buick waterfall grille.

The weight is down over 300 lbs, so with that and the 9-speed it should be a little quicker, it is rated at 15/22 mpg with all wheel drive which is pretty thirsty.   I don't like the grille, looks like the Mercedes diamond grille (which I don't like as much as their classic grille) and the logo looks like a Chrysler logo.   They copied the Lexus/Nissan/Mazda "floating roof"  D pillar effect, not a fan of that anywhere.

Overall, the outside looks alright, it looks a bit Asian, but I think a lot of people looking for a premium, family hauler crossover will like that look.  Inside looks better than a Lincoln, or Acura, looks the part of a $45-50k crossover.  

Nice :metal: This will sell well and do well. @Paolino I totally agree, they needs a power upgrade option for this. Base model should have this engine but the Avenir should get a TTV6. At least a single TV6

Wonder why GM has not taken the TTV6 and offered a TV6 as a lower level but a step above the NA V6?

Well it was not broke so they did not need to fix everything. 

They kept the good and only made the rest better. The interior look amazing but yet functional.

lighter and updated drive line should improve drivability. 

The Buick here will continue to lead.

Lincoln Mathew must be not happy at the moment. While they were going backwards Buick was moving forward.

One has to wonder what Cadillac has coming.

Love the interior on the new Enclave.  I do hope that the Avenir trim level shows up throughout the entire Buick line (regardless of name) quickly.

The exterior is OK, even though I am not a fan of that disjointed chrome on the D pillar.  That might make more sense in a smaller crossover (Encore?).

stupid Buick thinks because they copped out on doing the real Avenir that they can just pilfer the name as a trim package and redeem themselves.

overall this is nicely done though.  Doesn't have some of the awkwardness of the new Traverse.  And, manages to look a lot still like the current Enclave.  Even has some side sculpting that is similar to the new LaCrosse.  That is kind of amazing by itself.  Ties some of the Buick products together.

Interesting dash but i hope the plastics are better than what i see on some live auto show pics in the pictures.

Sounds like it still has room and space, at least they didn't get rid of that.

really should have a twin turbo six option. 

This and the new Traverse should help GM a lot.

9 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Love the interior on the new Enclave.  I do hope that the Avenir trim level shows up throughout the entire Buick line (regardless of name) quickly.

The exterior is OK, even though I am not a fan of that disjointed chrome on the D pillar.  That might make more sense in a smaller crossover (Encore?).

I was thinking the same thing. Love the auto, but can I delete the Chrome option for the exterior and interior?

Why does every top of the line package have to have bloody chrome? That is such a baby boomer thinking that it makes the auto richer looking.

Because traditionally chrome was always more expensive a finish than paint (or plastic).
Look at modern houses- the higher the price tag the more trim it gets. The age-old 'what am I getting for my money?' demand.

- - - - -
Are you going to make a standing point to associate everything you don't find to your favor as 'the fault of baby boomers'? It's getting a bit long-in-the-tooth already, D. Chrome plating greatly predates the baby boomer generation, as I'm sure you are aware if you review the history.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.18.49 AM.png

It DOES make the auto richer looking.

Edited by balthazar

Like it, but am a bit disturbed at so many of GM's brand new models looking like rehashed versions of the last gen.  I just wonder how this will work out in the long run.  Sure, it will keep existing owners happy, buy how about bringing in new ones?

9 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Because traditionally chrome was always more expensive a finish than paint (or plastic).
Look at modern houses- the higher the price tag the more trim it gets. The age-old 'what am I getting for my money?' demand.

- - - - -
Are you going to make a standing point to associate everything you don't find to your favor as 'the fault of baby boomers'? It's getting a bit long-in-the-tooth already, D. Chrome plating greatly predates the baby boomer generation, as I'm sure you are aware if you review the history.

Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 10.18.49 AM.png

It DOES make the auto richer looking.

LOL, Nope but most of the previous generation is dead so Baby Boomers are holding onto the Chrome.

I will say that in the old lovely ladies you posted, yes Chrome makes them much better.

Sadly on today's auto's, I feel it cheapens them greatly. 

My example of this is the 2nd Generation Escalade that I own has nice touches of Chrome and the 3rd generation went god awful overboard. 

First Generation, no difference than yukon or tahoe.

1stGenerationRear.jpg

2nd Generation, tasteful and elegant to me.

2ndGenerationRear.jpg

3rd Generation, Bling and tacky to me.

3rdGenerationRear.jpg

4th Generation, Tasteful and elegant. Really is a proper Cadillac look.

4thGenereationRear.jpg

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

it's still the most cohesive large SUV design-wise of them all, but I for one will miss the signature Buick waterfall grille.

The Enclave will come in four trim levels Base, Essence, Premium, and Avenir. Only the Avenir gets the mesh grill the others will retain the classic waterfall grill.

GM Authority - 2018 Buick Enclave Attempts To Define Full-Size Crossover Elegance

2018-Buick-Enclave-001-720x340.jpeg 

5 minutes ago, SS427 said:

The Enclave will come in four trim levels Base, Essence, Premium, and Avenir. Only the Avenir gets the mesh grill the others will retain the classic waterfall grill.

2018-Buick-Enclave-001-720x340.jpeg 

Good to know! :thumbsup:

• Upvote 1

I like chrome trim, esp in restrained usage.  Not a fan of body color/monochrome trim---that was an 80s-90s thing--looks very dated today, IMO. Blackout trim looks cheap to me, but the worst is the matte finish all over look, IMO.

The Buick looks great as it is w some chrome--tasteful and elegant.  

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I like chrome trim, esp in restrained usage.  Not a fan of body color/monochrome trim---that was an 80s-90s thing--looked very dated today. Blackout trim looks cheap to me, but the worst is the matte finish all over look, IMO.

The Buick looks great as it is w some chrome--tasteful and elegant.  

My 30yr old son loves the matte look, his Jeep Patriot which was his first auto he bought and financed himself out of college after he got a job, repainted it to be matte black and had the rims powder coated to match. He is not looking at a new SUV, his two finalist are the Ford Explorer Sport AWD and Jeep Grand Cherokee. Again, he is wanting to have them repainted since neither OEM offers matte paint jobs.

I think this is a Millennial thing. :P 

I personally on luxury auto's like a monochromatic paint job on the body, but then have just a touch of chrome bits.

Example is that I think having Black Chrome rims and the roof rack black chrome along with the grill is all that is needed on an auto.

Black chrome is not 'chrome'- it's shiny black paint (visually).
Note: even the monochrome purveyors want to call these treatments "chrome", and assumedly this is a few generations from the Baby Boomers pushing the trend. That's because Khrome is King. ;)

41 minutes ago, balthazar said:

Black chrome is not 'chrome'- it's shiny black paint (visually).
Note: even the monochrome purveyors want to call these treatments "chrome", and assumedly this is a few generations from the Baby Boomers pushing the trend. That's because Khrome is King. ;)

Yes, there are the paint options, but I truly am talking about electroplating or what the industry calls Black chromium electroplating. This is a true black chrome. Very nice, durable and way better than regular chrome in my book.

For wheels, I usually like an aluminum or titanium finish.  One place I do like black wheels are on some performance cars like Challengers, Mustangs, some Porsches.  But that's a performance look, not a luxury look. 

New Enclave, same as the old Enclave... the interior is very nice, and I am going to have to see a list of upgrades one gets for the Avenir trim level... to me it looks no more luxurious than the current top level Enclave.  Wut am I missing?

18 minutes ago, ocnblu said:

New Enclave, same as the old Enclave... the interior is very nice, and I am going to have to see a list of upgrades one gets for the Avenir trim level... to me it looks no more luxurious than the current top level Enclave.  Wut am I missing?

I think there are Avenir badges somewhere..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

For wheels, I usually like an aluminum or titanium finish.  One place I do like black wheels are on some performance cars like Challengers, Mustangs, some Porsches.  But that's a performance look, not a luxury look. 

I think Black Chrome has it's place on all auto's and yes color of the auto makes a difference.

blackvschrome_zps26007aa6.jpg

I walk along the Avenir.  I never thought I'd meet a girl like yeouuuuuu, meet a girl like yyyeeeeoooooouuu

still hope we get something real Avenir someday

Screen-Shot-2016-09-30-at-10.36.03-AM.pn

• Upvote 1

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      When Ford announced the new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 diesel for the 2018 F-150, the company said the engine should return 30 mpg on the highway. Today, the official EPA numbers for the Power Stroke V6 have come out and it will return 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. But there is a catch to this. As The Car Connection notes, this is for the two-wheel drive variant. The four-wheel drive variant is more thirsty with EPA figures of 20/25/22.
      Still, the 3.0L Power Stoke V6 beats the 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the current Ram 1500 - 20/27/23 for 2WD and 19/27/22 for 4WD.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing in a statement.
      Ford says the Power Stroke V6 can tow up to 11,400 pounds and has a max payload of 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications (1,940 pounds for retail applications).
      Source: Ford, The Car Connection

New Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Has Best-In-Class EPA-Estimated 30 MPG Highway Fuel Economy Rating
      Efficient: 2018 F-150 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel has a best-in-class EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 30 mpg highway Powerful: First-ever F-150 Power Stroke diesel engine offers best-in-class 250 diesel horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque Capable: Diesel-equipped F-150 brings best-in-class diesel towing and payload capacity DEARBORN, Mich., April 19, 2018 – The 2018 Ford F-150’s first 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine officially boasts EPA-estimated ratings of 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined. These are the highest EPA-estimated ratings available in a full-size pickup truck.
      These benchmark figures are the result of more than a decade of work developing a lightweight high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, a 10-speed SelectShift® transmission, and robust engine construction of aluminum and compacted graphite iron to deliver durability, reduced weight and stump-pulling torque.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing.
      In addition to its leading fuel economy ratings, the all-new F-150 Power Stroke boasts best-in-class* diesel power – 250 horsepower and a stout 440 lb.-ft. of torque – greater torque than a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi V8. It provides best-in-class diesel towing of 11,400 pounds for pulling boats, horses or RVs. The new engine also provides best-in-class diesel payload – 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications, and 1,940 pounds for retail applications – to easily haul equipment, supplies or a slide-in camper.
      F-150 Power Stroke diesel shares its proven commercial-grade technology with F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke – America’s most powerful, capable heavy-duty pickup truck ever.
      The 2018 Ford F-150 with all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine will begin shipping to dealers in May.
      *Class is full-size pickups under 8,500 pounds. GVWR based on Ford segmentation.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      When Ford announced the new 3.0L Power Stroke V6 diesel for the 2018 F-150, the company said the engine should return 30 mpg on the highway. Today, the official EPA numbers for the Power Stroke V6 have come out and it will return 22 City/30 Highway/25 Combined. But there is a catch to this. As The Car Connection notes, this is for the two-wheel drive variant. The four-wheel drive variant is more thirsty with EPA figures of 20/25/22.
      Still, the 3.0L Power Stoke V6 beats the 3.0L EcoDiesel found in the current Ram 1500 - 20/27/23 for 2WD and 19/27/22 for 4WD.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing in a statement.
      Ford says the Power Stroke V6 can tow up to 11,400 pounds and has a max payload of 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications (1,940 pounds for retail applications).
      Source: Ford, The Car Connection

New Ford F-150 Power Stroke Diesel Has Best-In-Class EPA-Estimated 30 MPG Highway Fuel Economy Rating
      Efficient: 2018 F-150 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel has a best-in-class EPA-estimated fuel economy rating of 30 mpg highway Powerful: First-ever F-150 Power Stroke diesel engine offers best-in-class 250 diesel horsepower and 440 lb.-ft. of torque Capable: Diesel-equipped F-150 brings best-in-class diesel towing and payload capacity DEARBORN, Mich., April 19, 2018 – The 2018 Ford F-150’s first 3.0-liter Power Stroke® diesel engine officially boasts EPA-estimated ratings of 30 mpg highway, 22 mpg city and 25 mpg combined. These are the highest EPA-estimated ratings available in a full-size pickup truck.
      These benchmark figures are the result of more than a decade of work developing a lightweight high-strength, military-grade, aluminum-alloy body, a 10-speed SelectShift® transmission, and robust engine construction of aluminum and compacted graphite iron to deliver durability, reduced weight and stump-pulling torque.
      “Even a few years ago, customers wouldn’t have imagined an EPA-estimated rating of 30 mpg highway would be possible in a full-size pickup, but our team of crazy-smart engineers rose to the challenge,” said Hau Thai-Tang, Ford executive vice president, product development and purchasing.
      In addition to its leading fuel economy ratings, the all-new F-150 Power Stroke boasts best-in-class* diesel power – 250 horsepower and a stout 440 lb.-ft. of torque – greater torque than a 2019 Ram 1500 Hemi V8. It provides best-in-class diesel towing of 11,400 pounds for pulling boats, horses or RVs. The new engine also provides best-in-class diesel payload – 2,020 pounds for XL and XLT fleet applications, and 1,940 pounds for retail applications – to easily haul equipment, supplies or a slide-in camper.
      F-150 Power Stroke diesel shares its proven commercial-grade technology with F-Series Super Duty’s 6.7-liter Power Stroke – America’s most powerful, capable heavy-duty pickup truck ever.
      The 2018 Ford F-150 with all-new 3.0-liter Power Stroke diesel engine will begin shipping to dealers in May.
      *Class is full-size pickups under 8,500 pounds. GVWR based on Ford segmentation.
    • By William Maley
      "We had no intention of turning it into a production car. But your positive reaction, as well as the reaction of our customers, changed our minds. We listened, and we made it real.”
      That was Toyota President Akio Toyoda speaking at the Lexus LC 500 debut at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show. Four years before, Lexus unveiled the LF-LC concept to the world. It was striking to say in the least with a design that empathized curves and deep cuts. There was no chance that this sleek concept would make it into production. It was too daring for a brand that liked to play it safe. But the LF-LC did make it into production and retained most of the design. But what is the rest of the car like?
      When an automaker takes a car from concept to production, something is usually lost in the translation due to regulations or costs. But Lexus was somehow able to carry over the design of the LF-LC concept to the LC 500. The front end is set very low and features the brand’s spindle grille and aggressive cuts in the bumper for the LED fog lights. Channels along the hood flow gently into either side of the grille. For the side, the door handles are flush with the doors and will pop out to allow entry into the vehicle. The rear fenders are quite wide to make room for larger tires and brake vents. The back stands out with narrow taillights that extend into the fenders and chrome exhaust surrounds. Wearing a dark grey finish, the LC 500 looks very sinister.
      The interior is a treat for the eyes. It’s a minimalist design with few buttons and knobs on the dash and door panels. There are some special design touches such as handles that float on the door panels and a grab handle that extends from the center stack to the console for the front seat passenger. Material quality is very impressive with leather, Alcantara, carbon fiber, and metal used throughout. My tester came with a set of sport seats with eight-way power seats. The seats feature increased bolstering to hold driver and passenger during a bout of exuberant driving. However, some people will not be able to fully fit into the seats because of the added bolstering. I would like to see Lexus offer some sort of adjustable bolstering down the road. The back seat is best used for storage. There is barely enough head and legroom for a small kid.
      A 10.3-inch screen sitting in the center stack features the latest version of Lexus Enform. The system features an updated interface with revised graphics and new color palate that makes it very easy to read at a glance. Controlling this is Lexus’ Remote Touchpad controller. Compared to other vehicles with the Touchpad, the LC brings a couple of key improvements. There are a set of shortcut buttons to common functions such as the radio and navigation. Lexus has also implemented a pause over each icon to prevent you from selecting another one because your finger slipped. Despite the improvements, Remote Touchpad is still very distracting to use when driving. You need to give your full attention to the system and not the road to make sure you’re turning on the heated seat for example. At least the LC 500 collision mitigation system with automatic braking to give you a bit of a safety net when using this system.
      Pop up the hood to find the heart of the LC 500; a 5.0L naturally-aspirated V8 producing 471 horsepower and 398 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. The powertrain has a Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde personality. Driven normally, the 5.0L V8 emits a low growl and delivers power in a smooth fashion. Gear changes from the 10-speed are unobtrusive. Drive it with some aggression and the LC becomes an animal. The V8 emits a roar similar to a muscle car and will throw you back into the seat as power comes on rapidly. The 10-speed automatic delivers fast shifts to keep the engine in its sweet spot of power. I found myself having a stupid grin on my face every time I would floor the accelerator just to hear the lovely sounds of the V8. 
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Lexus LC 500 are 16 City/26 Highway/19 Combined. My average for the week landed around 18.6 mpg.
      The LC 500 is quite surprising on a winding road. Despite the large size and weight, the LC seems to glide from bend to bend with little body roll. Some of this can be attributed to the rear-wheel steering system that is part of an optional performance package that makes the coupe feel smaller. This package also adds the variable gear-ratio steering system which adjusts the number of turns to reach steering lock helps the LC feel nimble. The only downside is the steering lacking the feedback some driving enthusiasts want.
      On a cruise, the LC 500 settles down and provides a somewhat relaxing ride. A small number of bumps make their way inside due to the 21-inch forged aluminum wheels. The smaller 20-inch wheels do improve ride quality somewhat. Road and wind noise are kept to minimum levels.
      Possibly the big surprise is how much the LC 500 will set you back. The base is $92,000 and our test vehicle came with an as-tested price of $101,715 with destination. Considering how much performance and luxuries you get for the price, the LC 500 is quite the steal.
      Lexus took quite the gamble with the LC 500 and their efforts paid off. The sharp exterior styling hides a very impressive chassis that somehow balances sporty handling and comfort. Plus, the V8 engine provides one of the most impressive sounds. Lexus Enform and Remote Touch spoil the LC somewhat as it is distracting to use.
      In a way, the LC is a modern incarnation of the SC coupe from the 90s. Both were a departure for Lexus as they offered a sleek design, smooth and powerful engines, and a balance between comfort and support. The two coupes also gave Lexus something it was lacking, a soul.
      Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the LC 500, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Lexus
      Model: LC
      Trim: 500
      Engine: 5.0L DOHC 32-Valve, Dual VVT-i V8
      Driveline: Ten-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 471 @ 7,100
      Torque @ RPM:  398 @ 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/26/19
      Curb Weight: 4,280 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Motomachi, Yokohama, Japan
      Base Price: $92,000
      As Tested Price: $101,715 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Performance Package with Carbon - $5,960.00
      Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound System - $1,220.00
      Color Heads-Up Display - $900.00
      Torsen Limited-Slip Rear Differential - $390.00
      All-Weather Trim Package - $250.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      "We had no intention of turning it into a production car. But your positive reaction, as well as the reaction of our customers, changed our minds. We listened, and we made it real.”
      That was Toyota President Akio Toyoda speaking at the Lexus LC 500 debut at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show. Four years before, Lexus unveiled the LF-LC concept to the world. It was striking to say in the least with a design that empathized curves and deep cuts. There was no chance that this sleek concept would make it into production. It was too daring for a brand that liked to play it safe. But the LF-LC did make it into production and retained most of the design. But what is the rest of the car like?
      When an automaker takes a car from concept to production, something is usually lost in the translation due to regulations or costs. But Lexus was somehow able to carry over the design of the LF-LC concept to the LC 500. The front end is set very low and features the brand’s spindle grille and aggressive cuts in the bumper for the LED fog lights. Channels along the hood flow gently into either side of the grille. For the side, the door handles are flush with the doors and will pop out to allow entry into the vehicle. The rear fenders are quite wide to make room for larger tires and brake vents. The back stands out with narrow taillights that extend into the fenders and chrome exhaust surrounds. Wearing a dark grey finish, the LC 500 looks very sinister.
      The interior is a treat for the eyes. It’s a minimalist design with few buttons and knobs on the dash and door panels. There are some special design touches such as handles that float on the door panels and a grab handle that extends from the center stack to the console for the front seat passenger. Material quality is very impressive with leather, Alcantara, carbon fiber, and metal used throughout. My tester came with a set of sport seats with eight-way power seats. The seats feature increased bolstering to hold driver and passenger during a bout of exuberant driving. However, some people will not be able to fully fit into the seats because of the added bolstering. I would like to see Lexus offer some sort of adjustable bolstering down the road. The back seat is best used for storage. There is barely enough head and legroom for a small kid.
      A 10.3-inch screen sitting in the center stack features the latest version of Lexus Enform. The system features an updated interface with revised graphics and new color palate that makes it very easy to read at a glance. Controlling this is Lexus’ Remote Touchpad controller. Compared to other vehicles with the Touchpad, the LC brings a couple of key improvements. There are a set of shortcut buttons to common functions such as the radio and navigation. Lexus has also implemented a pause over each icon to prevent you from selecting another one because your finger slipped. Despite the improvements, Remote Touchpad is still very distracting to use when driving. You need to give your full attention to the system and not the road to make sure you’re turning on the heated seat for example. At least the LC 500 collision mitigation system with automatic braking to give you a bit of a safety net when using this system.
      Pop up the hood to find the heart of the LC 500; a 5.0L naturally-aspirated V8 producing 471 horsepower and 398 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive. The powertrain has a Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde personality. Driven normally, the 5.0L V8 emits a low growl and delivers power in a smooth fashion. Gear changes from the 10-speed are unobtrusive. Drive it with some aggression and the LC becomes an animal. The V8 emits a roar similar to a muscle car and will throw you back into the seat as power comes on rapidly. The 10-speed automatic delivers fast shifts to keep the engine in its sweet spot of power. I found myself having a stupid grin on my face every time I would floor the accelerator just to hear the lovely sounds of the V8. 
      EPA fuel economy figures for the 2018 Lexus LC 500 are 16 City/26 Highway/19 Combined. My average for the week landed around 18.6 mpg.
      The LC 500 is quite surprising on a winding road. Despite the large size and weight, the LC seems to glide from bend to bend with little body roll. Some of this can be attributed to the rear-wheel steering system that is part of an optional performance package that makes the coupe feel smaller. This package also adds the variable gear-ratio steering system which adjusts the number of turns to reach steering lock helps the LC feel nimble. The only downside is the steering lacking the feedback some driving enthusiasts want.
      On a cruise, the LC 500 settles down and provides a somewhat relaxing ride. A small number of bumps make their way inside due to the 21-inch forged aluminum wheels. The smaller 20-inch wheels do improve ride quality somewhat. Road and wind noise are kept to minimum levels.
      Possibly the big surprise is how much the LC 500 will set you back. The base is $92,000 and our test vehicle came with an as-tested price of $101,715 with destination. Considering how much performance and luxuries you get for the price, the LC 500 is quite the steal.
      Lexus took quite the gamble with the LC 500 and their efforts paid off. The sharp exterior styling hides a very impressive chassis that somehow balances sporty handling and comfort. Plus, the V8 engine provides one of the most impressive sounds. Lexus Enform and Remote Touch spoil the LC somewhat as it is distracting to use.
      In a way, the LC is a modern incarnation of the SC coupe from the 90s. Both were a departure for Lexus as they offered a sleek design, smooth and powerful engines, and a balance between comfort and support. The two coupes also gave Lexus something it was lacking, a soul.
      Disclaimer: Lexus Provided the LC 500, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Lexus
      Model: LC
      Trim: 500
      Engine: 5.0L DOHC 32-Valve, Dual VVT-i V8
      Driveline: Ten-Speed Automatic, Rear-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 471 @ 7,100
      Torque @ RPM:  398 @ 4,800
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 16/26/19
      Curb Weight: 4,280 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Motomachi, Yokohama, Japan
      Base Price: $92,000
      As Tested Price: $101,715 (Includes $995.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Performance Package with Carbon - $5,960.00
      Mark Levinson Reference Surround Sound System - $1,220.00
      Color Heads-Up Display - $900.00
      Torsen Limited-Slip Rear Differential - $390.00
      All-Weather Trim Package - $250.00
    • By William Maley
      On the day I was getting the Mitsubishi Outlander Sport for a week-long test, meteorologists were calling for a massive snowstorm in Metro Detroit. Depending on where you lived, snowfall was expected to range from six inches to almost a foot. As I was signing the paperwork and getting the key, the snow was beginning to fall at a heavy rate. It would be an interesting week with one of oldest crossovers on sale.
      The current Outlander Sport has been with us since 2011 and it still stands out from other crossovers in the class. This comes down to an aggressive design and Mitsubishi making a number of changes to the design in the past few years. For 2018, Mitsubishi has updated the Outlander Sport with new bumpers and LED running lights. Up front, Mitsubishi went with a dual grille setup - a narrow one on top and a large mesh one for the bottom. 18-inch wheels come standard on all Outlander Sports and look quite sharp.
      Mitsubishi hasn’t done much to the Outlander Sport’s interior since its launch and it clearly shows. The design is very uninspired with seemingly endless black plastic and almost no brightwork. Most materials used feel brittle and cheap, which is very disappointing when compared to other models such as the Honda HR-V and Mazda CX-3. Mitsubishi does redeem itself a little bit with the dash being covered in soft-touch material. Another plus point to the Outlander Sport’s interior is the control layout. The buttons and knobs are laid out in a logical fashion and are within easy reach.
      Getting comfortable in the front seats is not hard thanks to a decent amount of manual adjustments on offer, along with a tilt-telescoping steering wheel for the driver. Slightly worrying was my test Outlander Sport having a driver’s seat that slightly rocked whenever the vehicle accelerated and stopped. I know this issue isn’t isolated to my test vehicle. Speaking to some who have driven different 2018 Outlander Sports, they have reported the same issue. Mitsubishi really needs to figure out this issue and get a fix out ASAP.
      The rear seat offers a decent amount of headroom, but there is barely enough legroom for taller passengers. Cargo space is quite good with 21.7 cubic feet of space behind the front seats and 49.5 cubic feet when folded.
      For 2018, Mitsubishi has installed a new 7-inch infotainment system on all Outlander Sports. Higher trims like our test SEL add Android Auto and Apple CarPlay capability. Compared to Mitsubishi’s previous infotainment systems, the one in the Outlander Sport is excellent. The system is very easy to use with a simple and vibrant interface. Performance is quite good as the system quickly responds to a user’s input.
      Mitsubishi offers two engines for the Outlander Sport. ES and LE models use a 2.0L four-cylinder, while the SE and SEL models feature a larger 2.4L four-cylinder. Our test vehicle had the latter engine which produces 168 horsepower and 167 pound-feet of torque. This is paired with a CVT and the choice of front- or Mitsubishi's All-Wheel Control (AWC) system. Out of the two engines, the 2.4 is the one to get as is feels noticeably quicker when leaving a stop. But it will run out of steam at higher speeds, making passing or getting onto the freeway a bit difficult. The CVT is somewhat slow to respond whenever you step on the accelerator. 
      The AWC system redeems the Outlander Sport to a point. AWC offers the driver three different modes - 2WD, 4WD Auto, and 4WD Lock. The difference between the two 4WD settings is Auto only sends power to rear wheels if it detects slip where Lock sends power to all wheels. Putting the system into 4WD Lock, the Outlander Sport easily went through roads with close to a foot of snow on the ground with no issue. The system was able to quickly shift power to the wheels with grip to help keep the car moving. I believe if you fit you a set of snow tires to the Sport, you will have a very good winter vehicle.
      Fuel economy figures of 22 City/27 Highway/24 Combined put the Outlander Sport towards the bottom of the class. My average for the week landed around 23.2 mpg.
      For a subcompact crossover, the Outlander Sport’s ride is pleasant. It glides over bumps and other imperfections. Handling is a mixed affair. Drive the Outlander Sport normally around a corner and it feels composed. Begin to push it and there is a fair amount of body roll. Steering has a very rubbery feel and there is a noticeable dead zone when the wheel is centered.
      This might be the first review I have done where I have two verdicts on the Outlander Sport. As a whole, the model really needs to be replaced. In many areas, the Outlander Sport significantly trails competitors. It doesn’t help that the as-tested price was $29,310 which makes the Sport a bit of poor value. I know dealers put a lot of cash on the hoods of Outlander Sports to get them moving, which is likely one reason why it is Mitsubishi’s best selling model. But I would rather put my money into a Honda HR-V, Mazda CX-3, the new Hyundai Kona, and others since they are newer and offer so much more.
      But I will admit that the Outlander Sport came at a very opportune time. The snowstorm really brought up some of the Outlander Sport’s best qualities, primarily the AWC system and punchy four-cylinder around town. I remember an auto writer once saying that some of the most memorable vehicles are those that are not the best, but can show some bright spots in a difficult situation. The Outlander Sport for me is one of those vehicles.
      Disclaimer: Mitsubishi Provided the Outlander Sport, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Make: Mitsubishi
      Model: Outlander Sport
      Trim: SEL
      Engine: 2.4L MIVEC DOHC 16-Valve Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: CVT, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 168 @ 6,000 
      Torque @ RPM: 167 @ 4,100
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 23/28/25
      Curb Weight: N/A
      Location of Manufacture: Okazaki, Japan
      Base Price: $25,895
      As Tested Price: $29,310 (Includes $940.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Touring Package - $2,000.00
      Diamond White Pearl - $200.00
      Tonneau Cover - $150.00
      Carpeted Floormats and Portfolio - $125.00

View full article
  • My Clubs