2018 Dodge Challenger Demon Provides Brutal Performance: Comments

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

I can understand that but then there are just as many people who do not mind multiple stops and only doing a couple of 200 mile stretches a day.

The charging maps cover all 4 types of charging and yes Tesla has Extrem Fast Charging, then you have level3 or DC charging, Level 2 and Level 1 home charging.

The maps tend to cover Level 2 - 4 for the most part.

With that said, I get it that Kentucky is a bit behind much like Montana.

KentuckyEVStations.jpg

Kentucky is a bit behind in everything so I digress there.  

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Stew said:

Same issue here, with both types of charging stations, is my area is bare.  I still prefer the piece of mind of ICE on a road trip and I have been known to spend 4 hours or more on the road before i stop and then only long enough to visit the RR and grab a bite. 

Yeah that's why a Volt would be about perfect for me. Even the 53 miles of range would leave me using gasoline once a week maaaaybe twice with my commute.

1 minute ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah that's why a Volt would be about perfect for me. Even the 53 miles of range would leave me using gasoline once a week maaaaybe twice with my commute.

Volt would be great if I had a place to charge here at work haha.  Still, i could make it one way on all electric lol. 

29 minutes ago, Stew said:

The Charger is the best selling CAR to law enforcement, second only to the Explorer.  That alone is enouh reason to keep it around.  hell, GM brought over the Caprice ONLY for law enforcement duty and it sold, even just to police fleets, in MUCH smaller numbers.  The new platform is coming to Dodge, they wouldn't have even been able to do Alfa if the Amortization of costs by  sharing with Dodge and Jeep.  i mean, it is done, the LX replacements are DEFINITELY coming, it has been confirmed and it has to as part of Alfa's health.  Remember, everything in the auto industry takes years and tears.  The new 18 Camry is actually the first 100% new one since 2002 and it is fine as people buy it.  People need to open up their eyes and quit attacking manufacturers for no reason to.  Just because Dodge chose a different direction with their top dog than others does NOT mean that they are dying.  It has been said many times over the years and EVERYTIME Dodge bounces back stronger than ever.  Not that they really need to bounce back because their sales are MORE than strong enough to be profitable......

There is a big difference between the Caprice being fleet, which was its singular purpose from the start and cars like the Charger, Impala (previous gen) or Crown Vic, which were for the retail market and due to neglect of the platform ( or for whatever reasons) became more fleet queen than retail darling. Again, you know I'm a LX fan but let's be realistic about things here. 

14 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

A Volt would absolutely be the perfect solution for me. I would never have to fill up during my weekly work commute (which is only ten miles one way) and if I want to hit the highway for a long drive, no problems there either. 

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

There is a big difference between the Caprice being fleet, which was its singular purpose from the start and cars like the Charger, Impala (previous gen) or Crown Vic, which were for the retail market and due to neglect of the platform ( or for whatever reasons) became more fleet queen than retail darling. Again, you know I'm a LX fan but let's be realistic about things here. 

The Charger was designed from 06 with the fleet police package in mind.  As far as rental, they are far less prevalent than even the current impala which is becoming as much a rental fleet queen as the last gen.  Same with fusion, Taurus, corolla, Camry, even the transit van has a lot of rental offering around here.  And Altima, etc, etc, etc.....

9 minutes ago, Stew said:

The Charger was designed from 06 with the fleet police package in mind.  As far as rental, they are far less prevalent than even the current impala which is becoming as much a rental fleet queen as the last gen.  Same with fusion, Taurus, corolla, Camry, even the transit van has a lot of rental offering around here.  And Altima, etc, etc, etc.....

No it was not. It was not purpose built for it. It was just a bonus because it was a full size sedan, which law enforcement preferred at the time. It was retail first, fleet second. Same with the Magnum and 300. Even if so, it's money maker has always been the retail market with a little help from fleet. Now it is completely reversed and that is not good no matter how you try to spin it. The fact that you are trying to point out these other cars as being fleet queens proves my point and it's not good for any of them long term but at least they continue to update their models unlike FCA in the last few years (in regards to the Charger and 300). 

Edited by surreal1272

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

No it was not. It was not purpose built for it. It was just a bonus because it was a full size sedan, which law enforcement preferred at the time. It was retail first, fleet second. Same with the Magnum and 300. Even if so, it's money maker has always been the retail market with a little help from fleet. Now it is completely reversed and that is not good no matter how you try to spin it. The fact that you are trying to point out these other cars as being fleet queens proves my point and it's not good for any of them long term but at least they continue to update their models unlike FCA in the last few years (in regards to the Charger and 300). 

Ah, but it nit is spun around for everyone  ford generally holds the highest fleet of everyone and GM is at least as high as Chrysler.  The caprice was not designed specifically for fleet remember.  it was a foreign market consumer car brought over here simply for fleet.  it was not exactly successful their either.  Do you think ford just came out with a fusion Hybrid patrol car, or they are getting SUV's pursuit rated because they don't want to the originally Civilian models to those fleets?  please, fleet is a HUGE piece of the pie and as much we bitch about it, it bring in profits.  These car companies are businesses above all so, yeah, profit is their priority, as such MANY platforms go on FAR longer than you realize. 

23 minutes ago, Stew said:

Ah, but it nit is spun around for everyone  ford generally holds the highest fleet of everyone and GM is at least as high as Chrysler.  The caprice was not designed specifically for fleet remember.  it was a foreign market consumer car brought over here simply for fleet.  it was not exactly successful their either.  Do you think ford just came out with a fusion Hybrid patrol car, or they are getting SUV's pursuit rated because they don't want to the originally Civilian models to those fleets?  please, fleet is a HUGE piece of the pie and as much we bitch about it, it bring in profits.  These car companies are businesses above all so, yeah, profit is their priority, as such MANY platforms go on FAR longer than you realize. 

Oh good grief man. I'm not denying the fleet presence of other makes and models but you are not looking through objective glasses if you think that fleet sales have not become a larger part of Charger sales. You already came right out and said that the Charger was purpose built for police fleets. 

For what it's worth whomever can read this.

Fleet sales - March 2017

FCA 23% sales are fleet

The other two don't give simple numbers like that. They break it down more and to be honest.. F figuring that out.

And the Charger was absolutely NOT purpose built for the police forces. It was later outfitted for that duty because it worked so well. Same reason the old Crown Vics(when they were new and not strictly police cars) were used. They suited the job well enough.

Edited by ccap41

29 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Oh good grief man. I'm not denying the fleet presence of other makes and models but you are not looking through objective glasses if you think that fleet sales have not become a larger part of Charger sales. You already came right out and said that the Charger was purpose built for police fleets. 

WTF?  now you are putting words in my mouth.  I did not say ONLY for fleet and sales are far and away NOT only to fleets.   the point is you act like it is all fleet when it far and away isn't  remember too that the 300 and challenger roll off that same line and are the same basic cars which is also part of the bigger picture.You try to make it sound like it only sells to fleets when that isn't the case at all. 

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

A Volt would absolutely be the perfect solution for me. I would never have to fill up during my weekly work commute (which is only ten miles one way) and if I want to hit the highway for a long drive, no problems there either. 

Sadly if your over 6' Tall the Volt is a NO GO as no room. For me at 6'6" tall I am totally cramped in the drivers seat and no one can sit behind me. The BOLT is the exact opposite, plenty of room in front and back.

Make a standard or mid size version of the BOLT with generator and have that EV range plus the generator and I bet it would fly off the lots.

DEMO

In looking at all the pictures online and video's, I wonder how much room a big person like me will have inside it with the roll cage in place. Snug but comfy in existing model, but the DEMO looks like it might have gotten a bit smaller.

8 minutes ago, Stew said:

WTF?  now you are putting words in my mouth.  I did not say ONLY for fleet and sales are far and away NOT only to fleets.   the point is you act like it is all fleet when it far and away isn't  remember too that the 300 and challenger roll off that same line and are the same basic cars which is also part of the bigger picture.You try to make it sound like it only sells to fleets when that isn't the case at all. 

Talk about putting words in ones mouth. Ease up Stew. I only pointed out that a larger number of LX models were relegated to fleet than they were when they first came out. I'm not "acting like" they are all fleet and never said anything of the sort. Ease up and understand that I'm not hating on them (for more than obvious reasons). My LX was the best car I have ever owned. However, that does not blind me to the fact that the Charger and 300 are on borrowed unless FCA does something miraculous. So far, I'm just not seeing it. It sucks that FCA has taken this long to even address the damn cars properly. 

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

It would help if the company as a whole didn't blow asshole.

I don't want Dodge to go anywhere but they're just not making anything worth buying. The Challenger has a couple high end trims that are gnarly but largely uncompetitive with anything else on the market, the Ram has fallen behind and doesn't it have another year or two until it gets a new model? And the Charger is in the same boat as the Impala that they're in the quickest dying market. FCA needs to consolidate brands some how because having a total of only like 20 vehicles across 5 brands(I'll leave Jeep out of it as they just dominate their market) is hurting them.

57 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

It would help if the company as a whole didn't blow asshole.

I don't want Dodge to go anywhere but they're just not making anything worth buying. The Challenger has a couple high end trims that are gnarly but largely uncompetitive with anything else on the market, the Ram has fallen behind and doesn't it have another year or two until it gets a new model? And the Charger is in the same boat as the Impala that they're in the quickest dying market. FCA needs to consolidate brands some how because having a total of only like 20 vehicles across 5 brands(I'll leave Jeep out of it as they just dominate their market) is hurting them.

That is the issue.  Ram has built a rep for itself, and Jeep is Jeep.  Kille Chrysler and give Dodge a new Caravan (slight restyling to bring inline with Dodge), hopefully get a midsize car built on the new platform to sell with the Charger, Challenger, and Cuda, The journey is already scheduled to be replaced with a CUV on the new platform, and hopefully the Durango will stick around.  Because of jeep, Dodge is he VERY rare band where a few moe performance oriented SUVs/CUVs will do.  Redesign the Fiat 00, kill the L, give the 500X some better engine options, and add a Compass size CUV, and a FWD sedan/hatch bigger than the 500.  Alfa can differentiate from Dodge on styling alone, but will need higher ed interiors and it's own line of engines other than the 2.9TT V6.  They are in the process of fleshing Alfa out, but it will take a while.  This also keeps platform costs manageable and that will allow Dodge to sell their cars at competitive prices.  Maserati has a much different feel from anything else in the lineup with a much higher price point, so they need to keep their course.  Their style does need tweaked though.  They are on their way and it makes utter and complete sense to work out Jeep with the new Wrangler, pickup, and Variants and to get the new Ram 1500 first because those are the money makers. 

12 minutes ago, Stew said:

That is the issue.  Ram has built a rep for itself, and Jeep is Jeep.  Kille Chrysler and give Dodge a new Caravan (slight restyling to bring inline with Dodge), hopefully get a midsize car built on the new platform to sell with the Charger, Challenger, and Cuda, The journey is already scheduled to be replaced with a CUV on the new platform, and hopefully the Durango will stick around.  Because of jeep, Dodge is he VERY rare band where a few moe performance oriented SUVs/CUVs will do.  Redesign the Fiat 00, kill the L, give the 500X some better engine options, and add a Compass size CUV, and a FWD sedan/hatch bigger than the 500.  Alfa can differentiate from Dodge on styling alone, but will need higher ed interiors and it's own line of engines other than the 2.9TT V6.  They are in the process of fleshing Alfa out, but it will take a while.  This also keeps platform costs manageable and that will allow Dodge to sell their cars at competitive prices.  Maserati has a much different feel from anything else in the lineup with a much higher price point, so they need to keep their course.  Their style does need tweaked though.  They are on their way and it makes utter and complete sense to work out Jeep with the new Wrangler, pickup, and Variants and to get the new Ram 1500 first because those are the money makers. 

You could kill Fiat and all the Euro garbage and kill Chrysler. Some will say no, but kill durango and Journey and focus Dodge in the same building as Jeep and Ram. SUV, Car and Truck in a single DJR Dealership. Clean up and kill off. Honestly no need for Chrysler anymore. Agree with moving the mini van to Dodge. 

FCA has starved the various brands to a point where it is time to consolidate and clean house. The wasted billions stolen from American name plates to bring back Alfa is a joke and shows how bad Sergio is as a CEO.

If they just axed Fiat and Alfa and placed those vehicles into Dodge and Chrysler(because I think Chrysler could be Buick-like or if given the right resources Lincoln/Acura/Infiniti/Cadillac/etc fighter. because they have RWD and SUV platforms).

I also don't think Ram needed to branch off. Ram could have stayed a Dodge Rams and I don't see the point of that. Literally nothing on the vehicles would have to change other than the VIN probably. I feel like that was a waste of money and unnecessary.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, dfelt said:

You could kill Fiat and all the Euro garbage and kill Chrysler. Some will say no, but kill durango and Journey and focus Dodge in the same building as Jeep and Ram. SUV, Car and Truck in a single DJR Dealership. Clean up and kill off. Honestly no need for Chrysler anymore. Agree with moving the mini van to Dodge. 

FCA has starved the various brands to a point where it is time to consolidate and clean house. The wasted billions stolen from American name plates to bring back Alfa is a joke and shows how bad Sergio is as a CEO.

Like the qur'an, FCA need to be ripped up.

• Disagree 2

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Ya know, i am not arguing about this anymore.  it is just absolutely disappointing that one cannot take and comment simply on this amazing machine without trying to down the whole company.  it gets F&kin old.....

What gets old is when someone lumps one person in with others when that one person did not "down the whole company". He simply presented his opinion. 

55 minutes ago, dfelt said:

This would work too, but the Giulia and Stelvio would need major redesigns to exude the toughness of the rest of the brand.  If they just hadn't been whored out to Daimler in 98 they would have continued to grow on their own and who knows what we would have now.  There were cutting edge and gaining market share like crazy.  They had the quickest design to production cycle and the most technologically advanced plants, which is why Daimler paid big bucks of course. 

Interesting note, the originally platform for the CHarger, etc that was being designed was modular and would support RWD, AWD, or FWD.  The LH cars were one of the first drivers with longitudinal engine layouts and man they sure drove and handled great for their time and outroomed everyone inside.  they also had some o the best interiors.  My parents had a 96 Intrepid and then a 97 LHS.  I LOVED that LHS.  It had ever option for 97 including, yes, a bench seat!  Buckets were standard haha.  I miss bench seats in bigger cars.....