Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2018 Lincoln Navigator Becomes More Posh and Powerful: Comments

It may be hard to remember, but Lincoln was one of the first automakers to introduce us all to highly-posh large SUV with the Navigator. But it was quickly overshadowed by the likes of the Cadillac Escalade and others. Last Night in New York, Lincoln introduced an all-new Navigator that will hopefully put it and the Lincoln brand as a whole back in the spotlight.

We're glad to see Lincoln keeping most of the design of the Navigator concept shown last year. That includes the large, intricate chrome grille; turbine-style wheels, side vents on the fenders, and a slightly rounded shape. Like its sister model, the Ford Expedition, the 2018 Navigator uses aluminum body panels to drop 200 pounds.

The interior shares nothing with the Expedition. Instead, Lincoln is borrowing some pieces from the Continental sedan. The dashboard is low and features plenty of wood and leather. There is a lot of tech on offer with a floating touchscreen featuring SYNC 3, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility; a reconfigurable 12-inch instrument cluster, 20-speaker Revel II sound system, WiFi hotspot, six USB ports, four 12-volt outlets, and a 120-volt outlet.

The 30-way-adjustable Perfect Position Seats with heating, cooling, and massage functions is available for the front seats. A bench seat or a set of captain chairs is available for the second row.

Power comes from a 3.5L twin-turbo V6 producing an estimated 450 horsepower. This is paired with a new 10-speed automatic transmission and the choice of rear-wheel or all-wheel drive.

Lincoln is keeping quiet on pricing for the 2018 Navigator, but you will be able to check one out later this year.

Source: Lincoln
Press Release is on Page 2

NEW NAVIGATOR: SPACIOUS INTERIOR, PERSONALIZED TECHNOLOGY ELEVATE FAMILY TRAVEL TO FIRST CLASS

NEW YORK, April 12, 2017 – Lincoln today introduces the 2018 Navigator, an all-new full-size SUV that combines modern luxury with advanced technology – elevating family travel to first class.

Wireless charging and standard Wi-Fi keep everyone connected. Advanced technology allows the driver to effortlessly adjust the vehicle to make driving easier or more enjoyable – in any weather or terrain. With more space for your belongings than any other large SUV*, the all-new Navigator assures almost nothing is left behind.

“Quiet luxury is both a look and a feeling,” says Kumar Galhotra, president, The Lincoln Motor Company. “The all-new Navigator embodies both. The sleek styling, spacious interior and technology are all designed to make each trip effortless.”

MODERN ELEGANCE

Navigator’s elegance is on display before the doors even open. Upon approach, the chrome Lincoln star logo on the grille softly illuminates**. Then, LED lighting in the lower front body and taillamps subtly engages, and a luminous Lincoln welcome mat appears beneath the front doors.

At night, interior ambient lights sequentially illuminate each of the SUV’s three rows. During the day, a panoramic roof fills the cabin with natural light.

A twin-turbo V6 engine projected to produce 450 horsepower provides smooth power whenever you need it, delivered through a 10-speed transmission. Navigator’s lighter, high-strength aluminum-alloy body removes nearly 200 pounds, helping create a more refined ride.

Additional weight savings have been reinvested in features such as towing capability and quietness. For example, laminated front and side glass contributes to the quietest Navigator cabin ever.

The all-new Navigator offers speed-dependent adaptive lighting, a new Lincoln technology that provides a wider spread of light at lower speeds for increased visibility – helpful when driving through residential areas. As the vehicle accelerates, the beam of light narrows to help eliminate the glare off signs or other distractions.

Beneath the sleek interior are inclination and intrusion sensors, which trigger an alarm if someone attempts to move or enter the vehicle.

SPACIOUS, LUXURIOUS INTERIOR

Inside, spaciousness comes in all three rows, including storage in each to keep the cabin clean and organized. The all-new Navigator’s advanced cargo management system offers an adjustable shelf behind the rear seats that allows clients to create storage customized to their needs. Even with the vehicle parked on an incline, the feature ensures groceries won’t roll out when the liftgate is opened.

The interior layout is clean and uncluttered, with a simple, soothing ambience.

“When designing the Navigator, we put an emphasis on ultra-luxury touch points,” says David Woodhouse, Lincoln design director. “We took everything the client would see and touch, and made sure it would look and feel a little more exuberant, a little more indulgent and incredibly beautiful.”

Staying connected is easy in the all-new Navigator with six USB ports, four 12-volt power outlets and a 110-volt plug. An available wireless phone charger in the first-row center console media bin eliminates tangled cords.

The client experience is further elevated through Lincoln’s new Personal Profile. It uses the key fob to recall individual driver preferences for adapting seat, mirror and pedal positions, as well as climate control and entertainment settings.

For owners desiring a more personalized look, Navigator comes with three Lincoln Black Label options – an exclusive collection of interior design themes and materials, plus a host of membership privileges.

FIRST-CLASS SEATING FOR ALL

Even when the all-new Navigator is fully packed, each occupant can sit in comfort. The driver and front-seat passenger enjoy Perfect Position Seats, which offer massage, heating and cooling functionality, and can be adjusted up to 30 different ways.

Standard SYNC® 3 with both Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility enables clients to manage audio, phone, navigation and more from the vehicle touch screen or steering wheel-mounted controls. Second-row passengers have their own audio and climate control, while third-row seats feature power recline capability.

An available rear-seat entertainment system allows passengers to stream content wirelessly with an Android device to one of the 10-inch adjustable screens mounted on the rear of the front seats. Content also can be accessed through more traditional devices like an SD card, an HDMI cord or a USB, as well as through SYNC AppLink™, which permits the front-seat passenger to monitor and select viewing content.

Each screen can display different content, allowing a personalized entertainment experience for every passenger. Through Lincoln’s agreement with Sling Media, those who own a Slingbox can access their TV channels on the go. The standard Wi-Fi allows for up to 10 mobile devices at a time to be connected.

Clients can enjoy available Revel® Ultima audio with 20 speakers that work in concert with Navigator’s interior design and acoustics. This transforms the cabin into a personal theater with three distinct listening modes – stereo, audience and on-stage.

FAMILY-FRIENDLY TECHNOLOGY

Navigator is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. A 12-inch configurable instrument cluster allows drivers to choose the information they want displayed. An available Head-Up Display can show selected information on the windshield instead of the instrument cluster. This helps drivers keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.

It’s also easy to adjust to changing conditions. With the turn of a dial, the driver can adapt the Navigator to changing road or weather, and enjoy a smooth, confident ride.

Additional available technology includes:

• Trailer Backup Assist, which automatically steers the vehicle to turn a trailer the desired amount – meaning less time required to perform the task. Navigator is expected to deliver more towing capability than any other premium full-size SUV
  • 360-degree camera and enhanced park assist, which reduce stress from parallel and perpendicular parking. The system integrates views from four cameras to create an overhead image so the driver can see all around the vehicle
  • Adaptive cruise control, which automatically slows Navigator in stop-and-go traffic – resuming speed when traffic allows

*Cargo and load capacity limited by weight and weight distribution.
**Lincoln star illuminates on Reserve and Black Label models only.

View full article

Awesome looking SUV. I have to imagine they will compete with Cadillac heads on but be just a few thousand under Cadillac Escalade to try and get back customers.

Massive improvement, but i wish his trend of floating infotainment screens would die.  It was neat on the 08 CTS where it actually could sink into he dash, but this just sticking it there like an afterthought needs to stop.  THANKS MERCEDES FOR THIS STUPID TREND!

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I just took the shots of it... it looks *yuuuge* in person... that front end!

Cool, look forwad to seeing them. :metal:

A vast improvement over its predescessor and long overdue but I'm with Stew on the floating screen. It seems like an afterthought and the dash, while nice, seems way overdone. Still, a vast improvement and it will most certainly sell in greater numbers. 

1 hour ago, Stew said:

Massive improvement, but i wish his trend of floating infotainment screens would die.  It was neat on the 08 CTS where it actually could sink into he dash, but this just sticking it there like an afterthought needs to stop.  THANKS MERCEDES FOR THIS STUPID TREND!

Mercedes is integrating the screens into the dash now and since every just copies Mercedes then in a few years the others will too.  This is a big upgrade over the current Navigator which I feel is 10 years old at this point, I am surprised they only got 200 lbs out of it.

Cadillac has always had integrated screens, now mercedes is copying them. The non-integration is incredibly weak.

- - - - -

Putting seat controls onto a screen as above, versus a non-visual control, VASTLY increases distracted driving (unless there's lock-out features for most of the screen controls in 'D').

The There appears to be a full range of seat controls on the door in the first picture along with memory buttons.

2008 CTS, always liked this in my brother's CTS.  You could extend it for nav functions, or tuck it in the dash where you still had radio displays.

cadillac__cts_3_6_v6_sport_luxury_auto_2

2008-Cadillac-CTS-16.jpg

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, balthazar said:

Putting seat controls onto a screen as above, versus a non-visual control, VASTLY increases distracted driving (unless there's lock-out features for most of the screen controls in 'D').

The touch screen is only for the massage feature of the seats, adjustment and lumbar support is on the door as traditional controls.

In China the Massage seat works while driving, I question this as I can see it putting the driver to sleep as being too relaxed.

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Cadillac has always had integrated screens, now mercedes is copying them. The non-integration is incredibly weak.

- - - - -

I guarantee they will not allow you to do everything while driving. I know I cannot pair a new phone to my car while the car is in D so I doubt they will let you fiddle with seat controls from a screen while moving either. If they do.. it sounds like they're lining themselves up for lawsuits. 

13 hours ago, Stew said:

The There appears to be a full range of seat controls on the door in the first picture along with memory buttons.

2008 CTS, always liked this in my brother's CTS.  You could extend it for nav functions, or tuck it in the dash where you still had radio displays.

cadillac__cts_3_6_v6_sport_luxury_auto_2

2008-Cadillac-CTS-16.jpg

I think one reason they're doing the screens separate like they are now is in part so distance to touch it. That screen above looks like it is quite the reach compared so something an inch or so closer. I'd like to talk to one of the designers about that. 

7 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I think one reason they're doing the screens separate like they are now is in part so distance to touch it. That screen above looks like it is quite the reach compared so something an inch or so closer. I'd like to talk to one of the designers about that. 

It was actually a very easy reach and decently easy to use.  it was an old system though, so he issues were moe with lackin in the visuals dept haha.  Still, it worked well. 

11 minutes ago, Stew said:

It was actually a very easy reach and decently easy to use.  it was an old system though, so he issues were moe with lackin in the visuals dept haha.  Still, it worked well. 

In smaller vehicles the distance shouldn't be an issue but larger vehicles where there is more space in the vehicle I could see it playing a larger role like the GLS or Nav. But it's just an idea..

12 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In smaller vehicles the distance shouldn't be an issue but larger vehicles where there is more space in the vehicle I could see it playing a larger role like the GLS or Nav. But it's just an idea..

True, but they could still integrate it into the dash as has been done for a decade.  It is just the random touchscreen hanging on top of the dash ruins the whole look and honestly, looks flimsy as hell, regardless who is doing it. 

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

True, but they could still integrate it into the dash as has been done for a decade.  It is just the random touchscreen hanging on top of the dash ruins the whole look and honestly, looks flimsy as hell, regardless who is doing it. 

Agreed,

All auto companies that have done this floating nav screen makes me think they added it as an afterthought.

I know many get broken in the MB auto's. Much better to have it integrated into the dash.

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Agreed,

All auto companies that have done this floating nav screen makes me think they added it as an afterthought.

I know many get broken in the MB auto's. Much better to have it integrated into the dash.

Are people closed fist punching them? How would somebody break them off without trying?

Mercedes had integrated screens before because my 08 has one, then they want to the floating screen which looks stupid and BMW and Audi jumped on board or BMW may have been first, but it became common.  I prefer a built in screen, and Mercedes doesn't use touch screens so if it is far to reach it doesn't matter in their case.

no one mentioned how the 3.5 liter Navigator has more power than the 6.2 liter Escalade and here is a fun fact, the original Navigator had a 5.4 liter V8 making 230 hp.  Progress.

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Are people closed fist punching them? How would somebody break them off without trying?

Couple of coworkers who put stuff on their dash all the time broke theirs grabbing for their stuff. Seems to be much easier than I would have thought too.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Not feeling it at all. The outside is completely unattractive to me, and if the interior is only on the level the Continental is, it's a big letdown, too.

I don't think there's anything from American automakers buy in this segment, honestly. 

Escalade :wub:

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Couple of coworkers who put stuff on their dash all the time broke theirs grabbing for their stuff. Seems to be much easier than I would have thought too.

lol well if they're that stupid to put stuff behind it they deserve to break their own stuff and be inconvenienced.

Who puts things on their dash????

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol well if they're that stupid to put stuff behind it they deserve to break their own stuff and be inconvenienced.

Who puts things on their dash????

Seems plenty of people do when I search on Bing and Google.

dash.jpg

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems plenty of people do when I search on Bing and Google.

dash.jpg

Yeah, I know people do this but if they're stupid enough to do that they deserve their $h! to break when they're constantly reaching up there because they're dirty humans. There isn't one single vehicle with stuff on the dash that is also clean.

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I know people do this but if they're stupid enough to do that they deserve their $h! to break when they're constantly reaching up there because they're dirty humans. There isn't one single vehicle with stuff on the dash that is also clean.

I understand that, I am overly OCD about cleaning my auto's so my dash never has anything on it and I keep it dusted and clean.

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I don't even want to be around anyone who does that much less ride in the same car as them. Just hell no!

Creepy to just think how much bacteria and other bugs / crap is in the auto.

I am a yuge fan of the re-americanization of our luxury brands.  However my thing with these pristine Lincoln interiors is... what are they going to look like after 5 years of constant use, with all those delicate light colored finishes and those puffy outlying seat cushions... the seat cushions will be all squashed and misshaped... for right now though, wow, it looks awesome, imo.

Looking through the specs, I am starting to really respect the wisdom of switching to aluminum.  Getting the curb weight down to 8656 lbs in a vehicle that covers this much territory is nothing short of a miracle.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I am a yuge fan of the re-americanization of our luxury brands.  However my thing with these pristine Lincoln interiors is... what are they going to look like after 5 years of constant use, with all those delicate light colored finishes and those puffy outlying seat cushions... the seat cushions will be all squashed and misshaped... for right now though, wow, it looks awesome, imo.

Looking through the specs, I am starting to really respect the wisdom of switching to aluminum.  Getting the curb weight down to 8656 lbs in a vehicle that covers this much territory is nothing short of a miracle.

I agree with you on the lite colors and how dirty the interior will look like in 5 years considering that most people are slobs in their auto.

I do wonder how comfortable those seats are. My 2006 Escalade Seats are still looking like new and firm but comfy for long road trips.

2017 Nav

large.18LincolnNavigator_12_HR.jpg

2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

2006-cadillac-escalade-esv-platinum-front-seats.jpg

I have to disagree with you on the Aluminum. This auto was heavy and they only dropped 200lbs with all the Aluminum work they supposedly did to the F150.

2017 Navigator

Curb Weight of 6297 lbs. Makes 2018 Navigator 6097 lbs. Over 500 lbs heavier than the Escalade.

https://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/navigator/2017/suv/#edm-entry-build

Escalade 5521 lbs curb weight.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle-curb-weight-specifications/cadillac/escalade/2017

https://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/escalade/2017/#edm-entry-build

http://www.cadillac.com/crossovers-suvs/escalade-suv/standard-optional-equipment.html?ppc=MICROSOFT_700000001296812_71700000019876877_58700002108534486_p17376421571&gclid=CPjI8aGRpNMCFUHt6QodEoYFaQ

Navigator is a pig.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dude... *facepalm*  second paragraph is SARCASM.  :AH-HA:

DOH, Homer Simpson Blink Blink space look. 

Give me Beer!!!!!! :P

On 4/14/2017 at 3:09 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry, gotta call you out... how are they bad? I think they're very good, the Navigator in particular is a big step above an Escalade. 

I keep saying that one of the easiest things to do is look at a competitive benchmark and improve upon it with slightly better or different ways of doing it. The Ford guys looked at the Slade's complaints and did something different. Altho in still not convinced on the interior aspect.. especially the excessive use of buttons and the lose, completely, if a lever for the tranny (ask me about my experience in a Continental if U need clarification). Nonetheless, the area where they clearly did improve is the powrrtrain. IMO, Cadillac needs to answer, if it is with supercharged Vsport Ecotec. No reason why that move should give JDN any restless nites 

• Agree 1

Apparently one of the reason why the weight loss isn't something to write home about is actually the frame. Ford did a lot of the aluminum work on the body to reinvest weight back into the vehicle. I predict that the 200 lbs is an honest answer, as in, yeah, new F150 platform, but we properly luxed this truck out, and made the frame super beefy.

The Expedition loses up to 300 lbs with the body material swtich.

Now competitively, it seems like the Slade has to only do two things, refresh it's interior, and get the new tranny, plus improve it's ride. 

I don't see a horrible mass of buttons, hell, this may be the best iteration of car audio and HVAC controls I have seen on an American luxury utility yet. I like the adherence to the concept, that is in a way, a move that keeps Lincoln credible. Now the dash top tablet, it's a tacky look, but it is the same screen they used on the concept, so we knew it was going to be like that for well over a year, and with people mounting their phones on to the dash like that on older cars....it's just a sign of the times that people love to have a tv they can watch football on while driving....

I think this is a good product, it has the right amount of power as the stand alone powertrain for now, and it is the first Lincoln that I would think is convincing as a complete Lincoln.

• Agree 2

What advantage?
2016 Suburban (130-in WB) RR seat legroom : 39.7"
2016 Expedition (131-in WB) RR seat legroom : 39.1"

Rear axle is far enough behind rear seat that suspension design is not going to impact legroom.
Even in the Explorer / Tahoe comparison, the Exp only has 0.5-in more RR seat legroom.

Load floor is a mere 1.3-in lower in Expedition (could be due to a number of contributing factors), but the Exp has about 9 CF more cargo volume to the back of the 2nd row. Not sure where Ford is picking that up, but doesn't seem to be downward.

Edited by balthazar

Would rather have a higher floor and ground clearance. Tired of all the auto's being built close to the road to minimize wind drag due to MPG needs. I am totally happy with my teen mpg on my suv's. Yes it would be great to have higher mpg, but not at a loss of what an SUV is supposed to do.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

What advantage?

"But there are only 32 cubes of cargo space with the rear-most row folded flat, versus 43 in the Ford. That’s largely a result of the higher load floor necessary to clear the Chevy’s solid rear axle. Third-row seating here should be reserved for children and adults you don't like."

"Not only does the Expedition’s independent rear suspension make for a steadier ride over rough terrain, its superior packaging permits a lower cargo floor that’s much easier to load with gear. When it comes to seating, the eight-passenger Expedition shines with a three-abreast middle bench and a third row that can seat real full-size adults. Plus, both rows fold flat. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would rather have a higher floor and ground clearance. Tired of all the auto's being built close to the road to minimize wind drag due to MPG needs. I am totally happy with my teen mpg on my suv's. Yes it would be great to have higher mpg, but not at a loss of what an SUV is supposed to do.

For the 1% who actually need more ground clearance it isn't worth building around that. I think these already fit over parking blocks. lol

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"But there are only 32 cubes of cargo space with the rear-most row folded flat, versus 43 in the Ford. That’s largely a result of the higher load floor necessary to clear the Chevy’s solid rear axle. Third-row seating here should be reserved for children and adults you don't like."

"Not only does the Expedition’s independent rear suspension make for a steadier ride over rough terrain, its superior packaging permits a lower cargo floor that’s much easier to load with gear. When it comes to seating, the eight-passenger Expedition shines with a three-abreast middle bench and a third row that can seat real full-size adults. Plus, both rows fold flat. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test

For the 1% who actually need more ground clearance it isn't worth building around that. I think these already fit over parking blocks. lol

Yes the SUV do already fit over the parking blocks, but they have destroyed the fronts of so many cars.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

What is the point of having " all that ground clearance " when you have a front air dam 2" off the pavement? 

Yes, I'm referring to the GM K2XX platform.

1 minute ago, FordCosworth said:

What is the point of having " all that ground clearance " when you have a front air dam 2" off the pavement? 

Yes, I'm referring to the GM K2XX platform.

I agree and that is why so many of us loved @ocnblu truck when he took off the stupid airdam and recovered that nice clean ground clearance.

• Agree 2

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes the SUV do already fit over the parking blocks, but they have destroyed the fronts of so many cars.

What do you mean? Like in accidents? or the styling?

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I agree and that is why so many of us loved @ocnblu truck when he took off the stupid airdam and recovered that nice clean ground clearance.

I'd do it more for looks than ground clearance. I assume with the vehicles ocn has and is considering ground clearance isn't a concern of his either so it's likely he did it for the looks as well. So few people need that extra couple of inches that it isn't worth selling them that way unless it's a performance variant like the ZR2 and Raptor.

Edited by ccap41

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What do you mean? Like in accidents? or the styling?

My notice is that the cement parking blocks seem to be much higher than the cars now since the introduction of air dams and as such, people are pulling into parking spots and ripping off or heavily damaging their front bumper area. Then you have an ugly look. 

Most cars now cannot pull into the parking space till the tires hit the parking block due to the air dam

blocktobumper.jpg

If you do, many end up with this type of ugly look.

frontbumperairdamdamage.jpg

Yet others end up having the lower section just ripped off.