William Maley

2018 Lincoln Navigator Becomes More Posh and Powerful: Comments

3 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Are people closed fist punching them? How would somebody break them off without trying?

Couple of coworkers who put stuff on their dash all the time broke theirs grabbing for their stuff. Seems to be much easier than I would have thought too.

2 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Not feeling it at all. The outside is completely unattractive to me, and if the interior is only on the level the Continental is, it's a big letdown, too.

I don't think there's anything from American automakers buy in this segment, honestly. 

Escalade :wub:

4 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Couple of coworkers who put stuff on their dash all the time broke theirs grabbing for their stuff. Seems to be much easier than I would have thought too.

lol well if they're that stupid to put stuff behind it they deserve to break their own stuff and be inconvenienced.

Who puts things on their dash????

8 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

lol well if they're that stupid to put stuff behind it they deserve to break their own stuff and be inconvenienced.

Who puts things on their dash????

Seems plenty of people do when I search on Bing and Google.

dash.jpg

12 minutes ago, dfelt said:

dash.jpg

Yeah, I know people do this but if they're stupid enough to do that they deserve their $h! to break when they're constantly reaching up there because they're dirty humans. There isn't one single vehicle with stuff on the dash that is also clean.

26 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Yeah, I know people do this but if they're stupid enough to do that they deserve their $h! to break when they're constantly reaching up there because they're dirty humans. There isn't one single vehicle with stuff on the dash that is also clean.

I understand that, I am overly OCD about cleaning my auto's so my dash never has anything on it and I keep it dusted and clean.

37 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I understand that, I am overly OCD about cleaning my auto's so my dash never has anything on it and I keep it dusted and clean.

Same here. A clean car = happy me

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

dash.jpg

I don't even want to be around anyone who does that much less ride in the same car as them. Just hell no!

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

I don't even want to be around anyone who does that much less ride in the same car as them. Just hell no!

Creepy to just think how much bacteria and other bugs / crap is in the auto.

2 hours ago, regfootball said:

these newer lincoln interiors really are rotten bad

Sorry, gotta call you out... how are they bad? I think they're very good, the Navigator in particular is a big step above an Escalade. 

I am a yuge fan of the re-americanization of our luxury brands.  However my thing with these pristine Lincoln interiors is... what are they going to look like after 5 years of constant use, with all those delicate light colored finishes and those puffy outlying seat cushions... the seat cushions will be all squashed and misshaped... for right now though, wow, it looks awesome, imo.

Looking through the specs, I am starting to really respect the wisdom of switching to aluminum.  Getting the curb weight down to 8656 lbs in a vehicle that covers this much territory is nothing short of a miracle.

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

I am a yuge fan of the re-americanization of our luxury brands.  However my thing with these pristine Lincoln interiors is... what are they going to look like after 5 years of constant use, with all those delicate light colored finishes and those puffy outlying seat cushions... the seat cushions will be all squashed and misshaped... for right now though, wow, it looks awesome, imo.

Looking through the specs, I am starting to really respect the wisdom of switching to aluminum.  Getting the curb weight down to 8656 lbs in a vehicle that covers this much territory is nothing short of a miracle.

I agree with you on the lite colors and how dirty the interior will look like in 5 years considering that most people are slobs in their auto.

I do wonder how comfortable those seats are. My 2006 Escalade Seats are still looking like new and firm but comfy for long road trips.

2017 Nav

large.18LincolnNavigator_12_HR.jpg

2006 Escalade ESV Platinum

2006-cadillac-escalade-esv-platinum-front-seats.jpg

I have to disagree with you on the Aluminum. This auto was heavy and they only dropped 200lbs with all the Aluminum work they supposedly did to the F150.

2017 Navigator

Curb Weight of 6297 lbs. Makes 2018 Navigator 6097 lbs. Over 500 lbs heavier than the Escalade.

https://www.edmunds.com/lincoln/navigator/2017/suv/#edm-entry-build

Escalade 5521 lbs curb weight.

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/vehicle-curb-weight-specifications/cadillac/escalade/2017

https://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/escalade/2017/#edm-entry-build

http://www.cadillac.com/crossovers-suvs/escalade-suv/standard-optional-equipment.html?ppc=MICROSOFT_700000001296812_71700000019876877_58700002108534486_p17376421571&gclid=CPjI8aGRpNMCFUHt6QodEoYFaQ

Navigator is a pig.

Dude... *facepalm*  second paragraph is SARCASM.  :AH-HA:

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Dude... *facepalm*  second paragraph is SARCASM.  :AH-HA:

DOH, Homer Simpson Blink Blink space look. 

Give me Beer!!!!!! :P

On 4/14/2017 at 3:09 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

Sorry, gotta call you out... how are they bad? I think they're very good, the Navigator in particular is a big step above an Escalade. 

I keep saying that one of the easiest things to do is look at a competitive benchmark and improve upon it with slightly better or different ways of doing it. The Ford guys looked at the Slade's complaints and did something different. Altho in still not convinced on the interior aspect.. especially the excessive use of buttons and the lose, completely, if a lever for the tranny (ask me about my experience in a Continental if U need clarification). Nonetheless, the area where they clearly did improve is the powrrtrain. IMO, Cadillac needs to answer, if it is with supercharged Vsport Ecotec. No reason why that move should give JDN any restless nites 

• Upvote 1

Apparently one of the reason why the weight loss isn't something to write home about is actually the frame. Ford did a lot of the aluminum work on the body to reinvest weight back into the vehicle. I predict that the 200 lbs is an honest answer, as in, yeah, new F150 platform, but we properly luxed this truck out, and made the frame super beefy.

The Expedition loses up to 300 lbs with the body material swtich.

Now competitively, it seems like the Slade has to only do two things, refresh it's interior, and get the new tranny, plus improve it's ride. 

I don't see a horrible mass of buttons, hell, this may be the best iteration of car audio and HVAC controls I have seen on an American luxury utility yet. I like the adherence to the concept, that is in a way, a move that keeps Lincoln credible. Now the dash top tablet, it's a tacky look, but it is the same screen they used on the concept, so we knew it was going to be like that for well over a year, and with people mounting their phones on to the dash like that on older cars....it's just a sign of the times that people love to have a tv they can watch football on while driving....

I think this is a good product, it has the right amount of power as the stand alone powertrain for now, and it is the first Lincoln that I would think is convincing as a complete Lincoln.

• Upvote 2

I assume the Expedition and Navigator will still have a rear legroom and cargo space advantage from a lower floor because of the IRS when compared to the GM full sizers...

What advantage?
2016 Suburban (130-in WB) RR seat legroom : 39.7"
2016 Expedition (131-in WB) RR seat legroom : 39.1"

Rear axle is far enough behind rear seat that suspension design is not going to impact legroom.
Even in the Explorer / Tahoe comparison, the Exp only has 0.5-in more RR seat legroom.

Load floor is a mere 1.3-in lower in Expedition (could be due to a number of contributing factors), but the Exp has about 9 CF more cargo volume to the back of the 2nd row. Not sure where Ford is picking that up, but doesn't seem to be downward.

Edited by balthazar

Would rather have a higher floor and ground clearance. Tired of all the auto's being built close to the road to minimize wind drag due to MPG needs. I am totally happy with my teen mpg on my suv's. Yes it would be great to have higher mpg, but not at a loss of what an SUV is supposed to do.

10 hours ago, balthazar said:

What advantage?

"But there are only 32 cubes of cargo space with the rear-most row folded flat, versus 43 in the Ford. That’s largely a result of the higher load floor necessary to clear the Chevy’s solid rear axle. Third-row seating here should be reserved for children and adults you don't like."

"Not only does the Expedition’s independent rear suspension make for a steadier ride over rough terrain, its superior packaging permits a lower cargo floor that’s much easier to load with gear. When it comes to seating, the eight-passenger Expedition shines with a three-abreast middle bench and a third row that can seat real full-size adults. Plus, both rows fold flat. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test

23 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Would rather have a higher floor and ground clearance. Tired of all the auto's being built close to the road to minimize wind drag due to MPG needs. I am totally happy with my teen mpg on my suv's. Yes it would be great to have higher mpg, but not at a loss of what an SUV is supposed to do.

For the 1% who actually need more ground clearance it isn't worth building around that. I think these already fit over parking blocks. lol

Edited by ccap41
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

"But there are only 32 cubes of cargo space with the rear-most row folded flat, versus 43 in the Ford. That’s largely a result of the higher load floor necessary to clear the Chevy’s solid rear axle. Third-row seating here should be reserved for children and adults you don't like."

"Not only does the Expedition’s independent rear suspension make for a steadier ride over rough terrain, its superior packaging permits a lower cargo floor that’s much easier to load with gear. When it comes to seating, the eight-passenger Expedition shines with a three-abreast middle bench and a third row that can seat real full-size adults. Plus, both rows fold flat. "

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2015-chevrolet-tahoe-ltz-vs-2015-ford-expedition-platinum-comparison-test

For the 1% who actually need more ground clearance it isn't worth building around that. I think these already fit over parking blocks. lol

Yes the SUV do already fit over the parking blocks, but they have destroyed the fronts of so many cars.

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

What is the point of having " all that ground clearance " when you have a front air dam 2" off the pavement? 

Yes, I'm referring to the GM K2XX platform.

1 minute ago, FordCosworth said:

What is the point of having " all that ground clearance " when you have a front air dam 2" off the pavement? 

Yes, I'm referring to the GM K2XX platform.

I agree and that is why so many of us loved @ocnblu truck when he took off the stupid airdam and recovered that nice clean ground clearance.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes the SUV do already fit over the parking blocks, but they have destroyed the fronts of so many cars.

What do you mean? Like in accidents? or the styling?

10 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I agree and that is why so many of us loved @ocnblu truck when he took off the stupid airdam and recovered that nice clean ground clearance.

I'd do it more for looks than ground clearance. I assume with the vehicles ocn has and is considering ground clearance isn't a concern of his either so it's likely he did it for the looks as well. So few people need that extra couple of inches that it isn't worth selling them that way unless it's a performance variant like the ZR2 and Raptor.

Edited by ccap41

19 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

What do you mean? Like in accidents? or the styling?

My notice is that the cement parking blocks seem to be much higher than the cars now since the introduction of air dams and as such, people are pulling into parking spots and ripping off or heavily damaging their front bumper area. Then you have an ugly look. 

Most cars now cannot pull into the parking space till the tires hit the parking block due to the air dam

blocktobumper.jpg

If you do, many end up with this type of ugly look.

frontbumperairdamdamage.jpg

Yet others end up having the lower section just ripped off.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By William Maley
      The Kia Stinger has been one of the most hotly anticipated vehicles in recent years. Here was a model that promised to rival models from luxury brands in terms styling, performance, and handling at a lower price. It felt like Kia was bitting off more they could chew, but I was willing to give it a chance. After spending a week in a Stinger GT1, I have to say it delivers on most of those promises.
      Depending on where you look at the Stinger, the impression will range from something quite beautiful to a bit of a mess. Straight on the front, the Stinger looks like something from an Italian or German automaker with a narrow front grille, distinctive cuts on for the bumper, and a slightly contoured hood. The back is neatly shaped with a rounded tailgate, taillights that run the length of the rear end, and quad exhaust pipes. But the Stinger’s design begins to lose some elegance when looked at from an angle. Take the rear as an example. The way Kia tries to bring the coupe-like roofline, bulging rear fenders, 19-inch wheels, and taillights that extend into the fenders ends up looking somewhat awkward.
      Color also plays a big role in making or breaking the Stinger’s look. In the case of my tester, the white does help minimize some of the polarizing parts of the vehicle. Going with red only emphasizes them and that will turn off some folks.
      Compared to the outgoing and expressive look of the exterior, the Stinger’s interior is quite disappointing. The minimalist approach Kia employs in the Stinger with minimal brightwork and narrow center stack doesn’t fully fit the exclusive image being presented outside. Not helping are some of the materials used in the Stinger. Considering that Kia is pitting this model against the likes of Audi and BMW, some of the plastics don’t match up to the image being portrayed. 
      The front seats in the Stinger GT offer excellent back support, along with numerous power adjustments including side bolstering. I did wish the bottom cushion was slightly longer to allow for better thigh support. Those sitting in the back will find adequate legroom, but headroom is tight due to the sloping roofline. It was a bit disappointing that Kia doesn’t offer seat heaters for the rear, considering some of their other models like the Optima offer it. One place that the Stinger excels at is cargo space. Open the rear hatch and you’ll find 23.3 cubic feet of space. This expands to 40.9 when the rear seats are folded. Only the Buick Regal Sportback and BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe offer more space.
      The Stinger GT uses an 8-inch touchscreen featuring Kia’s UVO infotainment system. We have heaped much praise on UVO on the system being simple to use and offering a number of features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I don’t like the placement of touchscreen on top of the dash as it makes hard to reach. Kia should consider adding some sort of control knob on the center console to improve overall usability.
      GT models get a 3.3L twin-turbo V6 with 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque. This comes paired with an eight-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive. Our tester came with the optional all-wheel drive system. I have experienced this engine in Genesis G80 Sport and G90, and have raved about how it delivers ample power no matter the driving situation, along with minimal turbo lag. Those same traits continue in the Stinger GT as the engine moves the vehicle at a surprising rate. The eight-speed automatic transmission delivers rapid and smooth shifts.
      The big downside the twin-turbo V6 is fuel economy. EPA rates the Stinger GT at 19 City/25 Highway/21 Combined for both rear and all-wheel drive. My average for the week landed around 18.2 mpg partly due to me dipping a bit too much into the boost.
      Kia has been making a big deal about how the Stinger GT can rival competitors from other brands in terms of handling. They bring up how Albert Biermann, the former head at BMW’s M performance division, helped in the development of the chassis. Seems like a lot of talk, but the good news is that Kia has delivered. Down a winding road, the Stinger GT exhibits qualities seen on such vehicles like the Cadillac ATS and Lexus IS 350 F-Sport with excellent body control and a willingness to quickly transition from one corner to another. Steering is where Kia could do some more work as it doesn’t quite have the same feel or weight as those models mentioned above.
      Ride quality is another area where Stinger GT is surprising. Despite the 19-inch wheels and sporty suspension setup, the Stinger GT provides a compliant ride with only large bumps making their way inside. Road noise is noticeable, due mostly to the summer tire and wheel setup on the vehicle. Wind noise was kept to very acceptable levels.
      The Kia Stinger seems to be similar in the overall idea as the K900 in serving as an attainable halo vehicle. While the K900 aimed at those wanting something along the lines of an S-Class or 7-Series, the Stinger GT serves those who something that can rival the likes the BMW 3/4-Series, Audi A4/A5, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class not only in terms of performance, but also in luxury. The end result is mixed. Kia has nailed down the performance and exterior styling, but the interior doesn’t fully match the ambitions being presented. Fuel economy could be slightly better.
      But the biggest problem for the Stinger GT is convincing buyers to spend almost $50,000 on a Kia. My GT1 AWD tester with a few options came to an as-tested price of $48,350. Telling someone you spent that much for a Kia sedan will raise some eyebrows. Despite how good the Stinger GT is to look at or drive, the Kia badge on the front will ultimately push most people away. 
      If you’re part of a small group who could care less about what badge is fitted onto a vehicle, then you’ll find the Stinger GT is a very impressive package.
      Gallery: 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
      Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Stinger, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Kia
      Model: Stinger
      Trim: GT1 AWD
      Engine: 3.3L Twin-Turbo V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 365 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 376 @ 1,300-4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,023 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Sohari, South Korea
      Base Price: $45,450
      As Tested Price: $48,350 (Includes $900.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Advanced Driver Assistance Package - $2,000
    • By William Maley
      The Kia Stinger has been one of the most hotly anticipated vehicles in recent years. Here was a model that promised to rival models from luxury brands in terms styling, performance, and handling at a lower price. It felt like Kia was bitting off more they could chew, but I was willing to give it a chance. After spending a week in a Stinger GT1, I have to say it delivers on most of those promises.
      Depending on where you look at the Stinger, the impression will range from something quite beautiful to a bit of a mess. Straight on the front, the Stinger looks like something from an Italian or German automaker with a narrow front grille, distinctive cuts on for the bumper, and a slightly contoured hood. The back is neatly shaped with a rounded tailgate, taillights that run the length of the rear end, and quad exhaust pipes. But the Stinger’s design begins to lose some elegance when looked at from an angle. Take the rear as an example. The way Kia tries to bring the coupe-like roofline, bulging rear fenders, 19-inch wheels, and taillights that extend into the fenders ends up looking somewhat awkward.
      Color also plays a big role in making or breaking the Stinger’s look. In the case of my tester, the white does help minimize some of the polarizing parts of the vehicle. Going with red only emphasizes them and that will turn off some folks.
      Compared to the outgoing and expressive look of the exterior, the Stinger’s interior is quite disappointing. The minimalist approach Kia employs in the Stinger with minimal brightwork and narrow center stack doesn’t fully fit the exclusive image being presented outside. Not helping are some of the materials used in the Stinger. Considering that Kia is pitting this model against the likes of Audi and BMW, some of the plastics don’t match up to the image being portrayed. 
      The front seats in the Stinger GT offer excellent back support, along with numerous power adjustments including side bolstering. I did wish the bottom cushion was slightly longer to allow for better thigh support. Those sitting in the back will find adequate legroom, but headroom is tight due to the sloping roofline. It was a bit disappointing that Kia doesn’t offer seat heaters for the rear, considering some of their other models like the Optima offer it. One place that the Stinger excels at is cargo space. Open the rear hatch and you’ll find 23.3 cubic feet of space. This expands to 40.9 when the rear seats are folded. Only the Buick Regal Sportback and BMW 4-Series Gran Coupe offer more space.
      The Stinger GT uses an 8-inch touchscreen featuring Kia’s UVO infotainment system. We have heaped much praise on UVO on the system being simple to use and offering a number of features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. I don’t like the placement of touchscreen on top of the dash as it makes hard to reach. Kia should consider adding some sort of control knob on the center console to improve overall usability.
      GT models get a 3.3L twin-turbo V6 with 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque. This comes paired with an eight-speed automatic and rear-wheel drive. Our tester came with the optional all-wheel drive system. I have experienced this engine in Genesis G80 Sport and G90, and have raved about how it delivers ample power no matter the driving situation, along with minimal turbo lag. Those same traits continue in the Stinger GT as the engine moves the vehicle at a surprising rate. The eight-speed automatic transmission delivers rapid and smooth shifts.
      The big downside the twin-turbo V6 is fuel economy. EPA rates the Stinger GT at 19 City/25 Highway/21 Combined for both rear and all-wheel drive. My average for the week landed around 18.2 mpg partly due to me dipping a bit too much into the boost.
      Kia has been making a big deal about how the Stinger GT can rival competitors from other brands in terms of handling. They bring up how Albert Biermann, the former head at BMW’s M performance division, helped in the development of the chassis. Seems like a lot of talk, but the good news is that Kia has delivered. Down a winding road, the Stinger GT exhibits qualities seen on such vehicles like the Cadillac ATS and Lexus IS 350 F-Sport with excellent body control and a willingness to quickly transition from one corner to another. Steering is where Kia could do some more work as it doesn’t quite have the same feel or weight as those models mentioned above.
      Ride quality is another area where Stinger GT is surprising. Despite the 19-inch wheels and sporty suspension setup, the Stinger GT provides a compliant ride with only large bumps making their way inside. Road noise is noticeable, due mostly to the summer tire and wheel setup on the vehicle. Wind noise was kept to very acceptable levels.
      The Kia Stinger seems to be similar in the overall idea as the K900 in serving as an attainable halo vehicle. While the K900 aimed at those wanting something along the lines of an S-Class or 7-Series, the Stinger GT serves those who something that can rival the likes the BMW 3/4-Series, Audi A4/A5, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class not only in terms of performance, but also in luxury. The end result is mixed. Kia has nailed down the performance and exterior styling, but the interior doesn’t fully match the ambitions being presented. Fuel economy could be slightly better.
      But the biggest problem for the Stinger GT is convincing buyers to spend almost $50,000 on a Kia. My GT1 AWD tester with a few options came to an as-tested price of $48,350. Telling someone you spent that much for a Kia sedan will raise some eyebrows. Despite how good the Stinger GT is to look at or drive, the Kia badge on the front will ultimately push most people away. 
      If you’re part of a small group who could care less about what badge is fitted onto a vehicle, then you’ll find the Stinger GT is a very impressive package.
      Gallery: 2018 Kia Stinger GT1 AWD
      Disclaimer: Kia Provided the Stinger, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Kia
      Model: Stinger
      Trim: GT1 AWD
      Engine: 3.3L Twin-Turbo V6
      Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic, All-Wheel Drive
      Horsepower @ RPM: 365 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 376 @ 1,300-4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 19/25/21
      Curb Weight: 4,023 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Sohari, South Korea
      Base Price: $45,450
      As Tested Price: $48,350 (Includes $900.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Advanced Driver Assistance Package - $2,000

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If you were hoping to get your hands on the upcoming Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition, then we have some bad news for you. Lincoln announced this morning that all 80 models planned for this year have been sold. Unlike most special models where you have to go through a unique ordering process, buyers could walk into any Lincoln dealer and place an order. Lincoln will notify the lucky 80 approved customers next month, with deliveries to begin this summer.
      "Response from customers has been extremely positive, with interest exceeding the planned production for the limited-edition run," the company said in a statement.
      Lincoln is planning a second run of Continental Coach Door models for the 2020 model year. More information will come out at a later date.
      Source: Lincoln

View full article
    • By William Maley
      If you were hoping to get your hands on the upcoming Lincoln Continental Coach Door Edition, then we have some bad news for you. Lincoln announced this morning that all 80 models planned for this year have been sold. Unlike most special models where you have to go through a unique ordering process, buyers could walk into any Lincoln dealer and place an order. Lincoln will notify the lucky 80 approved customers next month, with deliveries to begin this summer.
      "Response from customers has been extremely positive, with interest exceeding the planned production for the limited-edition run," the company said in a statement.
      Lincoln is planning a second run of Continental Coach Door models for the 2020 model year. More information will come out at a later date.
      Source: Lincoln
    • By William Maley
      After numerous teasers and various leaks coming out, Toyota rolled the Mk.5 Supra this morning in Detroit.
      Bringing the Supra to life required Toyota to bring in a partner. In this case, that happened to be BMW. That begins under the hood as there is a 3.0 twin-scroll turbocharged inline-six with 335 horsepower and 365 pound-feet of torque. This is paired solely to an eight-speed automatic that routes power to the rear-wheels. 0-60 mph takes 4.1 seconds. Top speed is limited to 155 mph. No mention of the 2.0L turbo-four as we have reported previously - we don't know if that's off the table or will be announced at a later date.
      Work done to chassis was done by both BMW and Toyota's performance group, Gazgoo Racing. The front uses a double-joint spring strut setup, while the back comes with an aluminum five-link independent suspension. Gazgoo has also done their own tuning to the springs and shocks, and stiffened up various parts of the structure. An adaptive variable suspension; variable-assist, variable-ratio electric power steering, large Brembo brakes, and a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports complete it.
      The new model is quite the departure from previous Supras (something you could argue about the Mk. 4). Most of the design from the FT-1 Concept in 2014 is unchanged - see the double bubble roof and rear end treatment as key evidence. The noticeable changes are up front where the elongated nose has changed from a treatment featuring tri-bumper vents and pointed nose. 
      Inside, it is more BMW than Toyota. The dashboard, infotainment system, and seats are lifted from BMW. A 6.5-inch infotainment system with the standard iDrive controller is standard, while an 8.8-inch touchscreen with a touch-enabled iDrive controller is standard on higher trims.
      Pricing for the 2020 Supra is as followed,
      Supra 3.0: $50,920 Supra 3.0 Premium: $54,920 Supra 3.0 Launch Edition: $56,180 *Prices include a $930 destination chare.
      The Launch Edition will get some special touches including matte black 19-inch alloy wheels, red mirror caps, carbon-fiber accents, and a numbered, carbon-fiber plaque bearing the image of Akio Toyoda and his signature. Toyota will only be building 1,500 of these models.
      The Supra will arrive at Toyota dealers towards the end of summer.
      Gallery 2020 Toyota Supra
      Source: Toyota
      A Legend Returns: 2020 Toyota Supra Makes World Debut
      First New Supra in the U.S. in 21 Years First Global GR Model Developed by Toyota GAZOO Racing Design Inspired by Calty’s FT-1 Concept Two-Seat, Driver-Focused Cabin 335-HP Turbocharged Inline-Six-Cylinder Engine 8-Speed Transmission with Paddle Shifters Two Available Grades and Launch Edition Standard Active Differential and Adaptive Suspension DETROIT (Jan. 14, 2019) – In July 2018, in view of tens of thousands of spectators at England’s world-renowned Goodwood Festival of Speed, a low, long-hood sports car wearing full-body camouflage with mysterious “A90” markings blasted up the narrow, curvy hill-climb circuit. For Toyota enthusiasts, “A90” was the giveaway: the A40, A60, A70 and A80 that came before were Supras.
      The Toyota Supra was coming back!
      In January 2019, the fifth-generation GR Supra, the first global Toyota GAZOO Racing model, makes its undisguised world debut at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, ending years of anticipation and speculation among sports car enthusiasts around the world. Behind the new Supra is a 50+ year lineage of unique Toyota sports and GT cars. Ahead of it awaits the world’s great driving roads, some of which were used to develop this all-new expression of Toyota pure sports car performance.
      The 2020 Supra goes on sale in summer of 2019 and will be available in two grades – 3.0 and 3.0 Premium, as well as a Launch Edition which will be based on the 3.0 Premium grade. Driving enthusiasts can look forward to an exhilarating blend of power, precision and agility thanks to a rear-wheel drive design that honors Toyota sports car heritage with its low center of gravity and optimal weight balance. There is a strong connection to Toyota’s 1967 2000 GT and 1993-2002 Supra in both design and mechanical configuration.
      Yet, the 2020 Supra is a fully forward-looking sports car, brimming with a cutting-edge powertrain, chassis and multimedia technology. Like the pinnacle of the previous Supra series, the 2020 model will be powered by a turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine. The new Supra’s 3.0-liter twin-scroll turbo six will produce 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque and will be teamed with a quick-shifting 8-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters. Toyota projects 0-60 mph acceleration in 4.1 seconds, which makes this the quickest toyota-branded production vehicle to date.
      By defining specific performance and handling targets early in development, Toyota GAZOO Racing in Japan, with much input from Toyota Motor North America and Toyota Motor Europe, imbued the Supra with its own driving characteristics. While posting the kind of performance numbers that excite enthusiasts, the 2020 Supra will reward drivers of all skill levels with a thrilling sports car feel, even in everyday driving.
      Toyota President and Master Driver Akio Toyoda tested the Supra on the Nürburgring and other racing venues to give his personal feedback as a Master Driver to ensure this new model would exceed the expectations of Supra fans across the globe.
      Supra devotees have waited a long time for the next-generation model. They’ll find the 2020 Supra worth the wait.
      Shaped by Emotion … and Racing
      The 2020 Supra embodies its rich lineage at first glance, with a design that shows a particular kinship with the fourth-generation Supra built from 1993-2002, as well as the landmark 1967 Toyota 2000 GT. The resemblance is more than skin deep: the new-generation Supra also shares with those notable models the common traits of a short wheelbase, sophisticated chassis, and high-performance inline-six-cylinder engine.  
      Toyota offered a glimpse of the new Supra’s design theme in 2014 with the dramatic FT-1 concept car that emerged from Toyota’s Calty design center in California. Supra’s striking exterior design was inspired by the FT-1’s expressive form.
      Optimization of the FT-1 design onto the efficient, high-performance packaging of Supra was achieved by condensing the forms, reducing unnecessary elements and further enhancing the dynamic and powerful character. It focuses on core Supra attributes, such as its inline six-cylinder engine and rear drive layout, while enhancing other features, such as stretching the hood to highlight the engine, creating a taut, but spacious two-seat cabin that helps accentuate an ultra-wide stance. The result is a look unique to Supra internally referred to as “Condensed Extreme.”
      Functional by Design
      The Supra design delivers a 50:50 weight balance while optimizing front-to-rear aerodynamic balance. Toyota sports car heritage is evident throughout. The double-bubble roof design, for example, recalls the Toyota 2000 GT and it reduces drag by shaving the roof center to reduce the projected frontal area without sacrificing occupant headroom.
      The front fascia was inspired by the fourth-generation Supra, yet is even more expressive, with a prominent central grille section flanked by large air intakes. In the rear, the prominent, arching rear integrated spoiler, which helps to suppress aerodynamic lift, pays homage to the tall rear wing that was available on the fourth-gen Supra Turbo. The trapezoidal rear bumper shape conveys a dynamic sense of movement toward the tires.
      The six-lens LED headlights integrate both daytime running lamps and turn signal functions to create a distinctive lighting signature for the new Supra. The rear combination lamps feature a simple structure with the turn, tail, and stop functions integrated into the distinctive main ring shape. The backup lamps are LEDs located in the center of the lower bumper.
      Details Matter
      Expressive colors accentuate the emotional connection drivers feel with a high-performance sports car, which is why the 2020 Supra’s paint palette will include bold Renaissance Red 2.0, Nitro Yellow and Downshift Blue. The available Phantom Matte Gray adds a sense of drama to the Supra’s tautly curved surfaces by combining a matte finish and a hint of blue to create a metal-like texture.

Other available colors include Absolute Zero White, Tungsten Silver, Turbulence Gray and Nocturnal Black.

Fun fact: In the new version of the famous Supra logotype, the “S” was inspired by a racetrack s-bend.
      Cockpit Concept: Wrapping the Driver
      The 2020 Supra cockpit deftly blends traditional GT elements with ultra-modern functionality. The low, narrow-section dash gives the driver expansive forward visibility, ideal for precisely placing the car in corners.
      A high-definition color display forms the instrument panel, projecting a large-diameter, three-dimensional meter dial that seems to float over it. The single-meter design consolidates information necessary for performance driving, such as the tachometer and shift-timing indicator, enabling the driver to easily focus on critical control information through the small-diameter steering wheel.
      The display’s easy-to-read layout puts multimedia information, including audio and available navigation, on the right side. An available full-color Head-Up Display projects vital driving and navigation information ahead of the driver.
      Toyota designers took a fresh approach to designing the center console, giving it an asymmetrical shape that tightly envelops the driver, with a padded pillar that serves as a right leg bolster. The passenger’s side of the console, meanwhile, is open for a roomy feel, yet also features kneepads for bolstering in corners.

The center console tightly groups controls for sports driving. The climate control panel protrudes from the center dash, easing operation without averting eyes from the road.
      Racing-Inspired Seats
      Toyota designed the 2020 Supra to be both an everyday sports car and an occasional track car. To that end, its sport seats, featuring integrated head restraints, were inspired by racing. The seats use a narrow main section combined with the shoulder bolsters to firmly hold the driver and passenger. The 3.0 Premium grade will feature heated, leather-trimmed seats, while the 3.0 will come with Alcantara power seats with memory.
      Supra’s smartly trimmed luggage area, accessed via a lightweight composite hatch, offers capacity for two people to pack for a weekend getaway. The compartment is shaped to accommodate long items, such as a track day toolkit.

The 2020 Supra Performance Story
      The 2020 Supra will feature a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline six that will produce 335 hp and 365 lb-ft of torque. The torque comes on strong from very low engine speeds, thanks to a combination of a twin-scroll turbocharger, direct fuel injection and continuously variable timing on both the intake and exhaust camshafts. Engine response is further enhanced thanks to the inline six’s variable intake valve lift system that adjusts intake valve timing and duration.  
      The 8-speed automatic transmission delivers quick up- and downshifts and features paddle shifters for manual control when desired. Short ratios for the lower gears and a Launch Control function enable powerful acceleration with maximum traction. Toyota estimates 0-60 mph acceleration in 4.1 seconds. Top track speed will be electronically limited to 155 mph.
      The 2020 Supra will offer two driving modes, Normal and Sport. Sport Mode provides track-driving capability by reducing intervention of the traction and stability control functions as well as sharpening throttle response, increasing steering weight, improving transmission shift crispness, more aggressive active differential tuning and amplifying exhaust sound.
      For performance driving enthusiasts, the Supra will have an active differential that uses an electric motor and multi-plate clutches to control lateral torque. The active differential precisely controls torque distribution between the rear wheels, with stepless variable locking from 0-100 percent. The differential can control torque distribution between the rear wheels when cornering under both acceleration and braking, enabling greater momentum through a corner. The active differential is also effective at ensuring neutral handling by reducing both understeer and oversteer.
      Chassis: Lessons from the Track 
      Toyota GAZOO Racing had a specific vision when developing Supra. High structural rigidity, a low center of gravity and 50:50 weight distribution were paramount to Toyota’s goal of achieving neutral cornering balance. For example, Toyota identified nine areas of the vehicle’s rear structure to be reinforced to increase rigidity.
      Toyota also specified spring and shock absorber tuning for the new double-joint spring strut front suspension and multi-link rear suspension. Likewise, Toyota set specific parameters for the Supra’s stability control system performance.
      The front suspension subframe and control arm mounting points are extremely rigid to yield precise cornering characteristics. Aluminum control arms reduce unsprung weight, resulting in superior agility and efficiency. High-performance wheel hubs feature increased stiffness and optimized kinematics. For precise handling, Supra features a variable assist and variable ratio sport-tuned electric power steering.
      The multi-link rear suspension with a five-arm construction consists of lightweight aluminum to reduce weight while steel is employed in key areas for added strength and durability. The rigid rear subframe, and the bracing that connects it to the body structure, helps ensure extremely precise wheel control. Supra will come standard with 19-inch forged alloy wheels. The rear wheels and tires are wider than on the front (rear tires: 275/35R19; front tires: 255/35R19) to enhance grip, and performance Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires are fitted. Brakes are large at all four corners, highlighted by 13.7-in. front rotors held by 4-piston Brembo calipers. 
      Standard on all Supras is Adaptive Variable Suspension. Adaptive Variable Suspension system instantly adjusts damping force in response to driver input and road conditions. Two settings for the suspension are available - Normal and Sport.
      Road and track development took place in France, Austria, Italy (including many winding roads through the Alps), Germany (including the Nürburgring track), Sweden (ice and snow road testing), the U.K., Japan, Australia, and the U.S. A global citizen, the new Supra will be assembled at Magna Steyr in Graz, Austria.
      GT Comfort, Maximum Multimedia
      Like its 1990s predecessor, the 2020 Supra will be equipped as a premium GT, with a deft balance of function and premium comfort and convenience features. Keyless Smart Entry, dual automatic climate control, auto-dimming rearview mirrors, rear camera, rain sensor windshield wipers, garage door opener, power folding mirrors, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel will be standard.
      Standard active safety features include forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, lane departure warning with steering assist, automatic high beam and road sign assist. Additional active safety and convenience features available are adaptive full speed cruise control, blind spot monitor, rear cross traffic alert and rear end collision warning.
      The new-generation Supra will of course deliver a state-of-the-art multimedia and connectivity experience. The 3.0 grade features a 6.5-inch display that can be operated by the rotary controller on the console, as well as Bluetooth and iPod capability. The 3.0 Premium grade will get an 8.8-inch touchscreen display with navigation, rotary touch controller, Supra Connect telematics services, wireless Apple CarPlay, a premium 12-speaker JBL audio system, and wireless phone charging. The JBL audio system and navigation will be an available option on the 3.0 grade.
      50+ Years of Toyota Sports Car Heritage
      The 2020 Toyota Supra traces a 50+ year lineage to Toyota’s first sports car, the 1965 Sports 800. This sleek but tiny (140-in. long) coupe offered a little over 40 horsepower from an air-cooled, two-cylinder boxer engine. The Sports 800 weighed just 1,300 pounds and could reach 100 mph in racing trim. It was successful in long distance races where reliability and fuel economy worked to its advantage. Here’s one for car trivia buffs: The 800 Sports was the first production sports car to have a lift-out aluminum roof panel.
      2000 GT
      In 1967, Toyota stunned the sports car establishment with the limited-production, hand-built 2000 GT. This six-cylinder, two-seat coupe smashed three world records and set 13 new international records for speed and endurance. Just 351 of the 2000 GTs were made, about 60 of those left-hand-drive for export to the U.S.
      Nevertheless, many Americans saw the 2000 GT when a specially built roadster version was the automotive star in that year’s James Bond film, You Only Live Twice. Today, 2000 GTs can approach $1 million in collector-car auctions.
      Age of the Supra
      In 1978, Toyota introduced the first Supra (A40) as a premium, six-cylinder version of the popular Celica sports coupe. Four years later, Toyota began to separate the Supra from the Celica, with the second generation (A60) featuring a completely different front-end design and a striking Performance model with wider wheels and fender flares.
      With the debut of the third-generation model for 1986 (A70), the Supra became its own distinct car. The following year, the Mk. III, as Supra aficionados call it, debuted a Turbo upgrade model with 230 horsepower.
      Then came the icon: the fourth-generation Supra (A80, or “Mk. IV” to Supra buffs) arrived in 1993 and upended the global sports car / GT hierarchy. The Supra Turbo used twin sequential turbochargers to extract 320 horsepower from its 3.0-liter inline six. This utterly unique sports GT could accelerate from zero-to-60 mph in under 5 seconds, trouncing direct competitors, as well as some European models costing 2-3 times as much.
      The Mk. IV Supra left Toyota’s U.S. lineup after 1998 but was produced until 2002. It went on to become famous for new generations in video games and in the Fast and Furious film series, stoking an intensely loyal following that helped spur Toyota to develop the all-new, fifth-generation Supra for 2020.
      Toyota GAZOO Racing
      The 2020 GR Supra is the first global model developed by Toyota GAZOO Racing, the international umbrella for Toyota's global motorsport program. In just the past year GR won the Le Mans 24 Hours race and the FIA World Rally Champions. Its work is based on three pillars: developing people through taking part in motorsport; creating fans through the excitement of motorsport and producing fun-to-drive cars; and making ever-better cars by applying the knowledge gained from motorsport competition.
      This ethos has been fully embraced by both Kiichiro Toyoda, founder of Toyota, and Akio Toyoda, Toyota Motor Corporation president, for its goal of “making ever-better cars.” Starting with this Supra, Toyota GAZOO Racing will transfer technical learnings from the race track or rally stage to the development of not just new generations of Toyota's sports-focused GR models, but also to its wider range of vehicles, driven by tens of millions of people around the world.
      With the 2020 Supra, Toyota is seeking to ignite automotive enthusiasts with fond memories of the Supra, as well as spark a new wave of sports car fans around the world. 

2020 SUPRA PRELIMINARY SPECIFICATIONS
      Wheelbase    97.2 in.
      Overall Length    172.5 in.
      Overall Width    73.0 in.
      Overall Height    50.9 in.  
      Track Width Front    62.8 in.
      Track Width Rear    62.6 in.
      Curb Weight    3,397 lbs.
      0-60 mph    4.1 seconds
  • My Clubs