William Maley

Subaru Ascent Concept is A Thinly Veiled Preview: Comments

Subaru is taking a page out of Honda's playbook with previewing new models via thinly disguised concepts. This morning at the New York Auto Show, the Japanese automaker unveiled the Ascent Concept.

To our eyes, the Ascent looks like a bigger Forester. Yes, it does have a more muscular look with a large grille and sculpting along the doors. The back end reminds us of the Levorg sold elsewhere in the world as it features similar styling. Move inside and the Ascent offers seating for up to seven people. The dashboard is concept-esq with touch-sensitive controls for the infotainment system, locks, and windows.

One interesting tidbit Subaru dropped was the Ascent would be powered by new turbocharged boxer-four engine. Specifics on horsepower and torque were not revealed. 

The Ascent will go on sale in 2018. Expect to see the production version sometime later this or early next year.

Source: Subaru 
Press Release is on Page 2

SUBARU ASCENT SUV CONCEPT MAKES WORLD DEBUT AT THE 2017 NEW YORK INTERNATIONAL AUTO SHOW

• Subaru confirms future 3-row SUV will be named Subaru Ascent
  • The Ascent will be powered by an all-new turbocharged DI Boxer Engine
  • Ascent SUV Concept showcases 7 passenger interior 

NEW YORK -  Subaru of America, Inc., which this month posted its 64th consecutive month of record-breaking sales, today made the world debut of the Subaru Ascent SUV Concept. The styling concept also confirms the name Ascent for the upcoming Subaru 3-row SUV. Both the design concept and the production Ascent will feature an all-new turbocharged direct injection boxer engine.

The exterior design of the concept follows Subaru’s “Dynamic x Solid” theme with powerful fender flares representing Subaru’s all-wheel drive system and a large, bluff grille denoting a true SUV look. The interior of the concept features a flowing dashboard design and a 7-passenger configuration with center captain’s chairs.

The Ascent production model will be based on a modified version of the Subaru Global Platform that debuted last year. The model will be built at Subaru of Indiana, Inc. in Lafayette, Indiana and will be sold exclusively in the North American market starting in 2018.

Specifications:
Body size: (Length x Width x Height) 198.8 x 78.3 x 72.4 inches
Wheelbase: 117 inches
Tire Size: 275/50 R21
Seating Capacity: 7

View full article

No thanks.  The front fenders look inspired by he guy at the gym who has taken it a bit too far and has to turn sideways to get their arms through the door. 

The concept does look like a bigger Forester. I like it.

I kind of like it but Subaru has always watered down their concepts in production form.  Very likely will be in this case as well.

Plus, reports show it will have a turbo four not a six cylinder engine, unfortunately. 

I like the interior.  Though it seems more appropriate for a luxury marque than utilitarian Subaru. I don't see white leather in production; wouldn't  be practical for a Subaru family trawler use case where the seats will be covered in food, diaper content, dog poo, etc. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

6 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I like the interior.  Though it seems more appropriate for a luxury marque than utilitarian Subaru. I don't see white leather in production; wouldn't  be practical for a Subaru family trawler use case where the seats will be covered in food, diaper content, dog poo, etc. 

My friend's Outback has "warm ivory leather" like in the picture. IMO very unfortunate choice since he has two small kids and now worried all the time about it

2016-Subaru-Outback-25i-Limited-front-in

15 minutes ago, ykX said:

My friend's Outback has "warm ivory leather" like in the picture. IMO very unfortunate choice since he has two small kids and now worried all the time about it

2016-Subaru-Outback-25i-Limited-front-in

That's similar to my Grand Cherokee interior.  I have dogs, plan to get seat covers and Weathertech mats.  I specifically sought out the light two tone interior as I was tired of the dark gray or black despair cave interiors. 

IMG_1847.JPG

IMG_1840.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Have to say that I like the look and interior design. Now the big question, can it fit a 280lb 6'6" tall guy and still have room behind the driver for an equal size person? 

If yes, then I am interested.

@Cubical-aka-Moltar & @ykX My Escalade is white diamond with that cream interior. I agree much more work to keep clean, but then I never allowed my kids to just go nuts and make messes. They respect the family property. As such, they are now 34 & 30 and both respect everything around them so my 2006 Escalade ESV still is like new and smells pretty much like new, leather, etc. The dealership is wanting me to trade it in as they can sell it since it is still like new..

Yup, OCD is me, so I keep my auto's very nice. Not easy but can be done. 

The one color that I have never understood is the white interiors. Those just are impossible to keep clean.

I have a coworker w an 07 Navigator w a cream interior and 3 kids under 10..it is trashed inside--cracked and ripped leather, mystery stains on the carpet and headliner, weird odors, etc.  We try and avoid letting him drive when we go out to lunch.