• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

William Maley

BMW News: BMW's M Division Believes Manual and Dual-Clutch Transmissions Are Coming To An End

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Corvette with an 8 speed auto would be fantastic IMHO.  Several local autocrossers autocrossed automatic corvettes and did quite well.

Would be an excellent road trip car with the 8 speed auto, i think.

Being a cheapskate, I would buy a manual GTI to avoid the $400 plus DSG transmission flush every 40,000 miles.

Most people that autocross do it for fun and even pros that I know that do it on a national level don't make any money doing it.  So unless you have a specially modified pro race car and you are pro racer, seems to me pointless to buy auto just for 6-8 events you going to run a year.  In addition, most autocross courses I know - you never have to go beyond second gear, so that is one shift for the whole run, that few milliseconds you will save are absolutely irrelevant.

But again, to each its own.  

Edited by ykX
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ykX said:

Most people that autocross do it for fun and even pro's that I know that do it on a national level don't make any money doing it.  So unless you have a specially modified pro race car and you are pro racer, seems to me pointless to buy auto just for 6-8 events you going to run a year.  In addition, most autocross courses I know - you never have to go beyond second gear, so that is one shift for the whole run, that few milliseconds you will save are absolutely irrelevant.

But again, to each its own.  

The point I was making is just the opposite in the case of the corvette, that one could ahve an automatic car that ones spouse, children and friends could still drive, and still enjoy it in a weekend autocross.

No real need for a manual corvette unless you just wanted to buy it that way. Plus, V8 has a wide torque curve, much less need to be in a precise gear at a specified time...

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The Corvette with an 8-speed is an absolute cuddle puppy when being driven tamely for long distance.   It is really a Jekyl and Hyde car... it can be a comfort cruiser or a nearly track ready race car. 

Exactly, like a comfortable pair of old blue jeans....!

• Upvote 2

Well, everyone knows I own a GTI w/ DSG trans. Love it, wouldn't change it at all.

But if I were buying any sports car that offered one- and I do mean ANY- I'd take the manual. Even the 911, which has the best 'auto' in the business.

Cars like the Corvette, Mustang, and such?? Not even close. The 8AT in GM's performance cars sucks. It boggles my mind that it gets near as much praise as it does. Poor shift logic in Drive, slow/clunky downshifts, especially when using paddles, etc. Hard pass.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, aurora97 said:

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

Love the Doors. Underrated comment.

I find it hilarious the guy throws a dig at American high-torque manuals lacking feel or shift quality when BMW has gotten criticism for their recent manuals in mainstream models like the 3-series 2.0T.

35 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Indeed...

19 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I find it hilarious the guy throws a dig at American high-torque manuals lacking feel or shift quality when BMW has gotten criticism for their recent manuals in mainstream models like the 3-series 2.0T.

I don't mind thoughtful critique of domestic vehicles, but that was a cheap shot on American transmissions....

I dunno what the issue with the GM 8speed is beyond it not being a manual. I found it very capable in the ATS-V, CTS Vsports, and Corvette.

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end

Of our elaborate plans, the end
Of everything that stands, the end
No safety or surprise, the end
I'll never look into your eyes...again

The horror....The horror.

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 1:42 PM, cp-the-nerd said:

The Horror....The Horror.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, Frisky Dingo said:

Well, everyone knows I own a GTI w/ DSG trans. Love it, wouldn't change it at all.

But if I were buying any sports car that offered one- and I do mean ANY- I'd take the manual. Even the 911, which has the best 'auto' in the business.

Cars like the Corvette, Mustang, and such?? Not even close. The 8AT in GM's performance cars sucks. It boggles my mind that it gets near as much praise as it does. Poor shift logic in Drive, slow/clunky downshifts, especially when using paddles, etc. Hard pass.

Which auto did you drive that had the 8AT that you found what you stated above? Or is this just assumption because it is not a DSG Trans and your going on others comments.

Have you actually driven the ATS-V, CTS Sport or Corvette that has that transmission? Smooth and performs extremely well. better than some german auto's.

• Upvote 1

On 4/26/2017 at 6:48 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

I dunno what the issue with the GM 8speed is beyond it not being a manual. I found it very capable in the ATS-V, CTS Vsports, and Corvette.

Any shortcomings of the GM 6 or 8 speed automatics are within reach of a simple tune to fix.

Judgement of the GM 8-speed in particular across all manner of RWD vehicles seems to depend entirely on the mood of the reviewer. I've seen everything from Cadillacs to Silverados get the full spectrum of high praise to heavy criticism from one review to the next.

On 4/25/2017 at 0:08 PM, smk4565 said:

Not only does the manual get beat in about every performance metric by the automatic but consumers aren't buying manuals either, so why spend development dollars on them.  It is like diesel, the take rate gets so low you can't justify designing and producing it.

I love how your instant response ALWAYS.. and I mean ALWAYS goes back to 0-60 times... even unsaid. Having a manual is not necessarily about performance.. but allowing the enthusiast to control, in every way, the driving characteristics of the drive. Of course U don't really strike me as a REAL enthusiast. Nonetheless.. there are maneuvers that one can do in a manual that would always result in a "shift denied" situation in a modern Manu-Matic.

As to the sales aspect.. I actually can see this point of view. With more and more of the population condensing itself into urban areas.. traffic congestion.. and such.. manuals are a real pain in the ass. I love my 7Speed in Sasha (Z) and now.. even my 4speed in Thelma (SS).. but only on backroads and open highway. The 8Speed in Rose (V) is sublime.. but despite that.. I love my 7speed all the same when traffic is no issue

12 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Any shortcomings of the GM 6 or 8 speed automatics are within reach of a simple tune to fix.

Judgement of the GM 8-speed in particular across all manner of RWD vehicles seems to depend entirely on the mood of the reviewer. I've seen everything from Cadillacs to Silverados get the full spectrum of high praise to heavy criticism from one review to the next.

It, as per my experience, depends on how one drives these vehicles from the git. I bet good money that U can take my Aline "14 Impala" and drive her after U've just driven another '14 with similar miles on the ODO and believe that U are shifting two totally different cars. That GM transmissions LEARN your driving style is not a myth in my opinion. There is no way a driver in one of them for an hour or a day can claim that the tranny is one way or another over the long run. The only real tune(out) needed in some GM trannies is the 1-4 (CAGS) program in manuals for enthusiastic driving. 

On 2017-04-25 at 1:16 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

Depends on the car enthusiast, lots of enthusiasts I know like automatics.

Yup.

I am one of these types of guys.

I could see how a manual transmission gives joy to people, I for one dont have that joy...

Yes, yes...correct gear for heading into a curve (which may mean downshifting) at the perfect angle and speed, then exiting curve and possibly up shifting...

Another scenario....downshifting to get those revs high and then blasting past another car in front of you while the engine is wailing....

Another scenario....power shifting slamming the gears into place preferably in a Ferrari style gated shifter...and the best of the best dont use a clutch....

You see....none of that does NOT amuse me...

I find joy only in the power shifting slamming the gears into place preferably in a Ferrari style gated shifter scenario...

The other scenarios...well, I am not a track car kinda guy...

And to downshift to pass a guy...well, I prefer this scenario instead.

I got me a muscle car...

A FULLSIZED one or the official mid-sized type....

IM CRUISING nice and slow! Checking to see if there are any nice females around I could honk and whistle at....(yes...in 2017 that is sexual harassment...) Maybe I stop at a burger joint and buy myself a cheeseburger and milkshake...enjoying the sun and the Rock-N-Roll tunes on the radio....or reggae or Greek music...or just the gurgling sounds of my big cubic inch V8...meaning, Im paying more attention to my surroundings rather than the road itself...I get no kicks with the race car antics at 25 MPH...then all of a sudden, a douche bag in front of me with some sort of overpriced garbage decides he wants a piece of my American metal when all I do is just mash the pedal, anticipate the kickdown and leave the phocker in my dust....all the while hearing my V8 roar to life...and no effort was given...just a slight downward motion of the accelerator pedal...

On the highway....a big American AUTOMATIC transmission V8 car = SMOOTH SAILING!!!

On the highway especially on long road trips...a manual transmission car is usually left at the top gear for long periods of time...

Besides....MOST American roads are STRAIGHT....no curves to really benefit the joys of shifting...AND...stop and go traffic puts a kink in the left foot clutch, right hand shift, left foot clutch, right hand shift, left foot clutch, right hand shift enjoyment every 2 seconds...

Edited by oldshurst442

14 hours ago, dfelt said:

Which auto did you drive that had the 8AT that you found what you stated above? Or is this just assumption because it is not a DSG Trans and your going on others comments.

Have you actually driven the ATS-V, CTS Sport or Corvette that has that transmission? Smooth and performs extremely well. better than some german auto's.

Literally every car they put it in. Every. Single. One.

Have YOU driven them?? Because it sure sounds to me like YOU are the one just regurgitating other's thoughts in your attempt to defend GM, as usual.

I drove manuals almost 100% of the time the first 14 years I was driving.....the place i enjoyed them them most were winding, hilly backroads...the rural Ohio of my 20s, and in the mountains of Colorado in my 20s-30s.  Never enjoyed them in the city or for freeway driving.    For the daily grind which is almost always city streets and suburbia for me, automatics are just fine.    In Ohio I will likely be doing a lot more freeway driving than I did in Arizona...I only used the freeways in AZ when I was going on a road trip, and that was usually in a rental car.   I can see owning another car w/ a manual in the future, though as a fun car (besides my '87 Mustang GT, which I hope to enjoy on weekends occasionally). 

5 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Have YOU driven them?? Because it sure sounds to me like YOU are the one just regurgitating other's thoughts in your attempt to defend GM, as usual.

I've driven the RWD 8-speed in just about every vehicle it is available in except the mid-size trucks of which I expect to experience in 2 weeks.   Some of them on the track (non-competition) and some of them just in normal street driving. It does have different modes, one of which is granny mode, but I've never experienced what you've made claim to when setting up the car appropriately and driving it hard. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I've driven the RWD 8-speed in just about every vehicle it is available in except the mid-size trucks of which I expect to experience in 2 weeks.   Some of them on the track (non-competition) and some of them just in normal street driving. It does have different modes, one of which is granny mode, but I've never experienced what you've made claim to when setting up the car appropriately and driving it hard. 

It's great in the trucks.

In the performance offerings, it's a joke. Numerous sources have also criticized it for being slow to respond in manual mode, having slow/jerky downshifts, etc.

If one is available to drive on May 18th at the next event I'm going to.... I'll make sure to take note and/or video it. 

3 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

It's great in the trucks.

In the performance offerings, it's a joke. Numerous sources have also criticized it for being slow to respond in manual mode, having slow/jerky downshifts, etc.

I have to call BS.. at least the outright performance iterations I've experienced. GM Built or Aisin.. the programming was on point.. and any changes were possible on the versions I spent at least a week with. 

CTS-V

ATS-V

Z06

GS

Stingray

CTS-Vsport

Camaro SS 

CT6 "Vsport" (3.0L TT)

an example ???

"The eight-speed automatic is a pretty spectacular piece of work, and that’s coming from the Save the Manuals people. It even responds quickly to paddle-activated manual shifts" C&D

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I love how your instant response ALWAYS.. and I mean ALWAYS goes back to 0-60 times... even unsaid. Having a manual is not necessarily about performance.. but allowing the enthusiast to control, in every way, the driving characteristics of the drive. Of course U don't really strike me as a REAL enthusiast. Nonetheless.. there are maneuvers that one can do in a manual that would always result in a "shift denied" situation in a modern Manu-Matic.

As to the sales aspect.. I actually can see this point of view. With more and more of the population condensing itself into urban areas.. traffic congestion.. and such.. manuals are a real pain in the ass. I love my 7Speed in Sasha (Z) and now.. even my 4speed in Thelma (SS).. but only on backroads and open highway. The 8Speed in Rose (V) is sublime.. but despite that.. I love my 7speed all the same when traffic is no issue

I didn't even mention 0-60, I said "about every performance metric."  That could be 0-60, it is also 30-50 acceleration, 50-70 passing power, fuel economy, NVH, winter driving, or downhill braking where the transmission is going to downshift automatically and provide some engine braking.   The Automatic is just all around better, the human can't react or process as fast as a computer.

I get that some want to shift their own gears and be in control, and that is totally fine too, but that is a striking amount of buyers.  So for a carmaker to spend two hundred million or so on a manual transmission, that is a big waste of money if they sell 2,000 cars a year with it.

Eventually the self driving cars are going to overtake us even driving.  There are about 35,000 deaths a year due to auto accidents and about 5 million car accidents per year, costing $871 Billion according to USA Today.  This is why there is a push for autonomy, once these self driving cars are level 5, the accidents and deaths basically go away.

6 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

LOL, I spend more time than most on the lots exploring and test driving cars. They are a passion of mine and while I have not driven every single version GM has, I have driven enough to question your statements about them and have doubt about you driving every single one of them.

36 minutes ago, dfelt said:

LOL, I spend more time than most on the lots exploring and test driving cars. They are a passion of mine and while I have not driven every single version GM has, I have driven enough to question your statements about them and have doubt about you driving every single one of them.

Considering what I do for a living, that's an incredibly daft statement. Which shouldn't surprise me.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

I didn't even mention 0-60, I said "about every performance metric."  That could be 0-60, it is also 30-50 acceleration, 50-70 passing power, fuel economy, NVH, winter driving, or downhill braking where the transmission is going to downshift automatically and provide some engine braking.   The Automatic is just all around better, the human can't react or process as fast as a computer.

I get that some want to shift their own gears and be in control, and that is totally fine too, but that is a striking amount of buyers.  So for a carmaker to spend two hundred million or so on a manual transmission, that is a big waste of money if they sell 2,000 cars a year with it.

Eventually the self driving cars are going to overtake us even driving.  There are about 35,000 deaths a year due to auto accidents and about 5 million car accidents per year, costing $871 Billion according to USA Today.  This is why there is a push for autonomy, once these self driving cars are level 5, the accidents and deaths basically go away.

The CTS V is a sublime automobile indeed...

7 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Considering what I do for a living, that's an incredibly daft statement. Which shouldn't surprise me.

You could have driven everything on the list and not understood what you were driving...which I do not think is the case. You seem to have a reasonably good eye for cars, and I trust your judgement on them.

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

My son works for an insurance company...he has explained to me in detail that self driving cars just have to be better than human driven ones for the cost advantage to be overwhelming.

7 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I drove manuals almost 100% of the time the first 14 years I was driving.....the place i enjoyed them them most were winding, hilly backroads...the rural Ohio of my 20s, and in the mountains of Colorado in my 20s-30s.  Never enjoyed them in the city or for freeway driving.    For the daily grind which is almost always city streets and suburbia for me, automatics are just fine.    In Ohio I will likely be doing a lot more freeway driving than I did in Arizona...I only used the freeways in AZ when I was going on a road trip, and that was usually in a rental car.   I can see owning another car w/ a manual in the future, though as a fun car (besides my '87 Mustang GT, which I hope to enjoy on weekends occasionally). 

You urgently need another fun car.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

1. Buickfosure
      Buickfosure
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      BMW's M division thought the M2 wasn't hot enough, so they went to work and the end result is the 2019 M2 Competition. 
      It begins under the hood with the 3.0L twin-turbo inline-six where BMW has increased the output to 405 horsepower and 406 pound-feet - up 40 and 63 respectively. This launches the M2 Competition to 60 mph in 4 seconds with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission or 4.2 seconds with the six-speed manual. Both times are a tenth of a second faster than the standard M2. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph, but can increase to 174 with the M Drivers package.
      The larger M3/M4 donate some parts to the Competition in the form of a racing-bred engine oil supply system, partially aluminum front and rear axles, and cooling system from the M4 Competition. A new exhaust system features two electronically controlled flaps to make yourself known or not.
      For handling, BMW has added a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic strut brace found on the M3/M4 to improve overall rigidity. The Active M Differential, steering, and stability control systems have been recalibrated to allow a bit more driver involvement. Larger brakes on all four wheels help slow down the M2 Competition.
      The M2 Competition stands out from the standard M2 with a larger kidney grille, blacked out trim, 19-inch wheels, and an M Competition badge. The interior comes with redesigned seats and the addition of M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The latter allows a driver to set a preset driving model and select them.
      Here's the most interesting bit: When the M2 Competition goes on sale this summer, it will take the place of the current M2 coupe. So if you want a standard M2, you might want to hurry to your BMW dealer.
      Source: BMW
      The First Ever 2019 BMW M2 Competition
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo engine offers 405 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. Larger front and rear brake disks with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers. New M Sport Seats with Illuminated M2 logo Top speed of 174mph with optional M Drivers Package Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 17, 2018 …Today, the BMW Group shows off its latest pride – the BMW M2 Competition. The 2019 BMW M2 Competition replaces the BMW M2 Coupe while retaining the compact dimensions, characteristic BMW M proportions and the BMW M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder engine, rear wheel drive and a standard manual transmission with an optional M DCT transmission that have made the M2 beloved by many enthusiasts. The exciting new addition to the BMW M portfolio provides a distinctive M design complemented by improved dynamics and track capabilities with a 0-60 sprint time of 4.0 seconds. The BMW M2 Competition will be available in summer of 2018. With pricing to be announced closer to Market launch.
      New engine with 405 Horsepower.
      The heart of the new BMW M2 Competition is its new engine, based on the power unit from the BMW M3 and BMW M4. The inline 6-cylinder engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers 405 hp between 5,230 and 7,000 rpm. The engine’s peak torque of 406 lb-ft is on tap between 2,350 rpm and 5,230 rpm. The power unit boasts an insatiable appetite for revs and offers exceptionally linear power delivery across a broad rpm range. A dual exhaust system with electronic flap control provides the distinctive M sound, while the M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers outstanding efficiency.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition completes the sprint from standstill to 60 mph, in as little as 4.0 seconds (with DCT and 4.2 seconds with the manual transmission). The top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. The car can be combined with the M Driver’s Package to raise the top speed to 174 mph. The carefully designed oil supply system for the engine is taken directly from motorsport, while the cooling system from the BMW M4 with Competition Package is used with some M2 specific adjustments. The BMW M2 Competition’s track-ready variants of the oil supply and cooling systems have been tested by BMW’s many years of motor racing experience. Enlarged BMW kidney grille openings and a new front skirt with increased air flow are exterior indicators to the use of this enhanced cooling system. The kidney grilles are finished in high-gloss Shadow Line black paint as are the side gills on the front fenders. A quartet of black chrome plated tailpipes finish off the twin exhaust system. A dark M Competition Badge graces the rear end of the car.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the driving dynamics of the BMW M2 Competition to take the new model’s increased performance into account. The striking CFRP high-precision strut from the BMW M3/M4 is immediately recognizable in the engine compartment. This improves front section rigidity and increases steering precision. The electromechanical power steering, the Active M Differential and the Dynamic Steering Control (DSC) system have all been enhanced.
      Selector switches to adjust settings.
      The BMW M2 Competition is the first BMW M2 to be equipped with selector switches in the center console that allow instant control of settings for the engine, steering and Drivelogic functions, if M DCT is available. The various configurations can be combined in whichever way the driver prefers and can be stored for easy access using the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The standard range of equipment now includes the red start/stop button, Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC).
      Exciting new features.
      The new, standard M Sport seats are a real highlight in terms of both form and function. The bucket-style shape borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimized support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest. The backrest also features an illuminated M2 logo. The black leather upholstery boasts design perforations in the seat and backrest, available in either blue or orange. Two new optional paint colors are available on the BMW M2 Competition: Hockenheim Silver, which replaces Mineral Grey Metallic and is exclusive to the M2 Competition and Sunset Orange Metallic.
      Rapid response behavior thanks to M TwinPower Turbo technology.
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology consists of two rapid-response MonoScroll turbochargers, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve control and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The valve and camshaft timing work in tandem for maximum variability of the control intake valve lift. Razor-sharp responses and optimal power delivery are the result. Spray on LDS (Lichtbogendrahtspritzen) coated cylinder walls lead to a significant reduction in weight over traditional cylinder inserts. A lightweight forged crankshaft helps the engine to rev to a redline of 7,600 rpm.
      Motorsport Experience.
      Maintaining consistent levels of oil supply is particularly important on the track, thanks to the increased performance of the BMW M2 Competition. This is where the extensive motor racing experience at BMW M GmbH has the chance to shine. For example, an additional oil sump cover helps limit the movement of lubricants when the car quickly changes direction. Under extreme longitudinal acceleration and deceleration, an oil extraction pump and a sophisticated oil return system situated close to the turbochargers help to maintain uninterrupted oil circulation. Sufficient oil is therefore supplied continuously to all engine components in all driving situations – whether on the road or the track.
      The BMW M2 Competition features a range of measures designed to deal with the increased cooling requirements, compared with the previous model. An enlarged BMW kidney grill and a new front skirt with modified air flow improve the flow for the front of the car. The car also makes use of the track-tested cooling system of the BMW M4 with the Competition Package, consisting of one central radiator, two side radiators and an additional engine oil cooler. Cars making use of the optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) also feature a transmission oil cooler.
      Dual exhaust system with two electrically-controlled flaps.
      The BMW M2 Competition’s S55 engine exhales through a completely new exhaust system. The dual-branch design features a new muffler and the four tailpipes, finished in black chrome, identify the car immediately as a BMW M model. Two electrically-controlled flaps ensure that the BMW M2 Competition delivers the distinctive BMW M Sound, which the driver can adjust by selecting a driving mode with M Dynamic Performance Control via the selector switch in the center console.
      Choice of two transmission variants.
      The new BMW M2 Competition comes standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is notable for its compact design and light weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances the manual shift feel. The BMW M2 is equipped with rev matching technology which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, making gear changes even smoother. This lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track.
      The seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT with Drivelogic) can be ordered as an option. This system effectively combines two gearboxes, each with its own clutch, and enables either extremely fast gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power or ultra-smooth shifts. The driver can change gears either in automated or manual mode by using the gearshift lever on the center console or shift paddles on the M leather steering wheel. In both automatic and manual modes, Drivelogic provides the driver with a choice between three preconfigured driving programs: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+. In automatic mode, the driver can then adjust the speed of the gearshift, its intensity, and the automatic throttle blipping function on downshifts.
      Increased front-end rigidity for greater steering precision.
      The engine compartment contains the most striking component: the CFRP high-precision strut brace from the BMW M3/M4. This one-piece brace made from extremely light, yet high-strength, carbon fiber weighs in at just 3.3 lbs. Together with the bulkhead strut from the M4, it significantly increases front section rigidity and improves steering behavior and precision.
      The high-performance chassis utilizes the lightweight aluminum intensive front and rear axles from the BMW M3/M4. In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, tight tolerance ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces. The control arms and wheel carriers of the new five-link rear axle are made from forged aluminum. A racing-derived rigid connection, dispensing with rubber bushings, is used to fix the lightweight steel grid-type rear axle sub frame to the body. This improves wheel location and tracking stability.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the operation of the electromechanical power steering to further improve performance and increase front end rigidity. The integrated Servotronic function with M-specific characteristics controls the level of steering assistance electronically according to the car’s speed and to the Drivelogic settings made by the driver, allowing power steering assistance to be adjusted based on personal preference.
      Active M Differential and recalibrated DSC.
      The Dynamic Stability Control has been completely recalibrated for the BMW M2 Competition. Electronics exercise even more delicate control, providing improved traction in wet and slippery conditions, and ensuring that traction is not interrupted during drifts. Support is provided by the Active M Differential, an electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential that takes traction and directional stability to a new level of precision and speed. The locking effect can vary between 0 and 100 percent, according to the driving situation, and reacts to the car’s steering angle, accelerator position, brake pressure, engine torque, wheel speed and yaw rate. The control unit uses this analysis of the driving situation to detect the threat of traction loss on one side of the car and calculates the required locking effect, which is engaged by an electric motor. The full locking power of over 1,800 lb-ft is available within 150 milliseconds. This allows the system to prevent a wheel from spinning in extreme conditions on slippery road surfaces or when the two rear wheels are experiencing significant differences in friction coefficient.
      In certain situations, the Active M Differential even works proactively. When pulling away on slippery surfaces, the lock is closed by a defined percentage even before a wheel can start to spin, to ensure that both wheels develop equal slip at the same time. The lock is also closed by the required percentage through enthusiastically driven corners, according to the levels of lateral acceleration and drive at work. This prevents the low-traction inside wheel from starting to turn too quickly. This permanent and infinitely variable differential control also increases agility, avoids understeer on the way into corners and improves directional stability under braking and load changes.
      M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is a sub-function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that can be activated automatically by either selecting SPORT+ mode, or engaging manually via the DSC button. In certain situations – e.g. track driving – it allows a greater degree of wheel spin. The DSC mode stabilizing measures now intervene later, increasing the freedom available to drivers at the limit. The extra wheel slip enhances traction and therefore forward propulsion. More significant oversteer and understeer situations are possible, as are moderate, controlled drifts, but the Dynamic Stability Control active safety aids can still be relied on in critical situations.
      M Sport brakes developed from motorsport experience.
      The new high-performance M Sport brakes provide maximum brake performance and are a product of the extensive motorsport experience at BMW M GmbH. Compared to the outgoing M2’s M compound brakes, with blue metallic brake calipers (front 4-piston fixed caliper and 380 mm diameter disks and rear 2-piston fixed caliper with 370 mm diameter disks) the new M Sport brakes found in the M2 Competition have larger brake disks (front: 400 mm in diameter, rear: 380 mm in diameter) as well as larger brake calipers(front: 6-piston fixed and rear: 4-piston fixed), painted in a grey finish. These high-performance brakes provide excellent deceleration in all conditions and impress with their resistance to fade and heat.
      New forged wheels with two color options.
      The new 19-inch forged wheels are available (front axle: 9J x 19, rear axle 10J x 19) with the Y-spoke design in a high-sheen finish, and in two color options: light high-sheen (bi-color), or with a black front surface. The front 245/35 R19 tires meet the most demanding requirements in terms of lateral stability, directional stability, steering feel and steering precision. The rear 265/35 R19 tires deliver optimal traction, and the required lateral and directional stability.
      Interior Equipment
      When opening the door of the new BMW M2 Competition, drivers are greeted by the M2 Competition logo on the sill plate. They can then settle into the ergonomically and visually stunning M Sport seat. The bucket-style shape of the seat borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimum support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest.
      An illuminated M2 logo nestles in the backrest of the M Sport seat. The seat and the backrest boast black leather upholstery with design perforations, available in blue or orange. These touches of color are also reflected in the leather stitching on seats and armrests, while Alcantara leather is used to cover the sides of the side bolsters. The classic BMW M stripes have been woven into the M safety belts and the M-specific stitching can also be found on the steering wheel.
      A glance at the dashboard reveals the welcome layout for the instruments, which displays the M2 Competition logo for a few seconds at startup. A red start / stop button underlines the motorsport heritage of the car.
      Selector switches on the center console.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition provides drivers with two selector switches in the center console that allow direct access to adjust various vehicle characteristics and settings, a feature familiar from other BMW M models. The switches can be used to directly access various settings for stability control, for example the three engine characteristics, or the steering modes. Drivers can also use the selector switches to adapt the settings they want for various areas and combine these as they please. They also adjust Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) – a short dab activates MDM mode, while holding the switch down longer switches DSC off.
      M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel.
      The M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel also provide direct access to the range of driving modes. Drivers can save their own personal configurations chosen from the settings for stability control, engine characteristics and steering - control over the personality of the BMW M2 is at their fingertips. The M1 and M2 steering wheel buttons are preprogramed with a Comfort and a Sport program as standard and drivers can return to these settings at any time.
      New equipment details.
      The evolution of the BMW M2 Coupe into the new BMW M2 Competition has been accompanied by some upgrades to the standard features as well. The sporty coupe now boasts Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC) which monitors the car’s surroundings and keeps an eye on what is in front of the car, as well as to the rear.
      The extensive range of equipment provided as standard marks the BMW M2 Competition as one of the most dynamic sports cars around. This includes the lightweight M Sport chassis, the six-speed manual gearbox with throttle blipping function and the Active M Differential on the rear axle, guaranteeing optimum traction and unbeatable directional stability. Electromechanical M Servotronic power steering and the M Dynamic Mode (MDM) for Dynamic Stability Control are also available allowing aspiring racing drivers to easily enjoy controlled drifts on the circuit. M Sports seats, the M leather steering wheel, an M footrest and knee pad on the center console and trim strips with surfacing in open pore carbon fiber all adorn the interior.
      Customers can add additional individual touches to their car with a hand-picked range of options. The list of options includes highlights such as the seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) with Drivelogic, allowing gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power, or the M Driver’s Package, which raises the limit on the top speed of the new BMW M2 Competition to 174 mph and comes with a BMW Driving Experience voucher for a track training course at the BMW Performance Center East or West.
      BMW Personal CoPilot enhances safety, comfort and entertainment.
      New BMW M2 Competition customers can make use of numerous driver assistance systems and mobility services through BMW Personal CoPilot. The range of optional driver assistance systems includes the standard Active Driving Assistant, which comprises features such as Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, and Lane Departure Warning. Speed Limit Info flashes up traffic signs and the permitted top speed. The rear-view camera teams up with standard rear Park Distance Control to assist drivers with reverse parking and maneuvering. The standard Navigation Professional offers an ultra-sharp map display and the iDrive Touch Controller ensures the various functions are even easier to use.
    • By William Maley
      BMW's M division thought the M2 wasn't hot enough, so they went to work and the end result is the 2019 M2 Competition. 
      It begins under the hood with the 3.0L twin-turbo inline-six where BMW has increased the output to 405 horsepower and 406 pound-feet - up 40 and 63 respectively. This launches the M2 Competition to 60 mph in 4 seconds with the seven-speed dual-clutch transmission or 4.2 seconds with the six-speed manual. Both times are a tenth of a second faster than the standard M2. Top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph, but can increase to 174 with the M Drivers package.
      The larger M3/M4 donate some parts to the Competition in the form of a racing-bred engine oil supply system, partially aluminum front and rear axles, and cooling system from the M4 Competition. A new exhaust system features two electronically controlled flaps to make yourself known or not.
      For handling, BMW has added a carbon-fiber reinforced plastic strut brace found on the M3/M4 to improve overall rigidity. The Active M Differential, steering, and stability control systems have been recalibrated to allow a bit more driver involvement. Larger brakes on all four wheels help slow down the M2 Competition.
      The M2 Competition stands out from the standard M2 with a larger kidney grille, blacked out trim, 19-inch wheels, and an M Competition badge. The interior comes with redesigned seats and the addition of M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The latter allows a driver to set a preset driving model and select them.
      Here's the most interesting bit: When the M2 Competition goes on sale this summer, it will take the place of the current M2 coupe. So if you want a standard M2, you might want to hurry to your BMW dealer.
      Source: BMW
      The First Ever 2019 BMW M2 Competition
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo engine offers 405 hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. Larger front and rear brake disks with 6-piston front and 4-piston rear calipers. New M Sport Seats with Illuminated M2 logo Top speed of 174mph with optional M Drivers Package Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 17, 2018 …Today, the BMW Group shows off its latest pride – the BMW M2 Competition. The 2019 BMW M2 Competition replaces the BMW M2 Coupe while retaining the compact dimensions, characteristic BMW M proportions and the BMW M TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder engine, rear wheel drive and a standard manual transmission with an optional M DCT transmission that have made the M2 beloved by many enthusiasts. The exciting new addition to the BMW M portfolio provides a distinctive M design complemented by improved dynamics and track capabilities with a 0-60 sprint time of 4.0 seconds. The BMW M2 Competition will be available in summer of 2018. With pricing to be announced closer to Market launch.
      New engine with 405 Horsepower.
      The heart of the new BMW M2 Competition is its new engine, based on the power unit from the BMW M3 and BMW M4. The inline 6-cylinder engine with M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers 405 hp between 5,230 and 7,000 rpm. The engine’s peak torque of 406 lb-ft is on tap between 2,350 rpm and 5,230 rpm. The power unit boasts an insatiable appetite for revs and offers exceptionally linear power delivery across a broad rpm range. A dual exhaust system with electronic flap control provides the distinctive M sound, while the M TwinPower Turbo technology delivers outstanding efficiency.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition completes the sprint from standstill to 60 mph, in as little as 4.0 seconds (with DCT and 4.2 seconds with the manual transmission). The top speed is electronically limited to 155 mph. The car can be combined with the M Driver’s Package to raise the top speed to 174 mph. The carefully designed oil supply system for the engine is taken directly from motorsport, while the cooling system from the BMW M4 with Competition Package is used with some M2 specific adjustments. The BMW M2 Competition’s track-ready variants of the oil supply and cooling systems have been tested by BMW’s many years of motor racing experience. Enlarged BMW kidney grille openings and a new front skirt with increased air flow are exterior indicators to the use of this enhanced cooling system. The kidney grilles are finished in high-gloss Shadow Line black paint as are the side gills on the front fenders. A quartet of black chrome plated tailpipes finish off the twin exhaust system. A dark M Competition Badge graces the rear end of the car.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the driving dynamics of the BMW M2 Competition to take the new model’s increased performance into account. The striking CFRP high-precision strut from the BMW M3/M4 is immediately recognizable in the engine compartment. This improves front section rigidity and increases steering precision. The electromechanical power steering, the Active M Differential and the Dynamic Steering Control (DSC) system have all been enhanced.
      Selector switches to adjust settings.
      The BMW M2 Competition is the first BMW M2 to be equipped with selector switches in the center console that allow instant control of settings for the engine, steering and Drivelogic functions, if M DCT is available. The various configurations can be combined in whichever way the driver prefers and can be stored for easy access using the M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel. The standard range of equipment now includes the red start/stop button, Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC).
      Exciting new features.
      The new, standard M Sport seats are a real highlight in terms of both form and function. The bucket-style shape borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimized support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest. The backrest also features an illuminated M2 logo. The black leather upholstery boasts design perforations in the seat and backrest, available in either blue or orange. Two new optional paint colors are available on the BMW M2 Competition: Hockenheim Silver, which replaces Mineral Grey Metallic and is exclusive to the M2 Competition and Sunset Orange Metallic.
      Rapid response behavior thanks to M TwinPower Turbo technology.
      BMW M TwinPower Turbo technology consists of two rapid-response MonoScroll turbochargers, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC variable valve control and Double-VANOS variable camshaft timing. The valve and camshaft timing work in tandem for maximum variability of the control intake valve lift. Razor-sharp responses and optimal power delivery are the result. Spray on LDS (Lichtbogendrahtspritzen) coated cylinder walls lead to a significant reduction in weight over traditional cylinder inserts. A lightweight forged crankshaft helps the engine to rev to a redline of 7,600 rpm.
      Motorsport Experience.
      Maintaining consistent levels of oil supply is particularly important on the track, thanks to the increased performance of the BMW M2 Competition. This is where the extensive motor racing experience at BMW M GmbH has the chance to shine. For example, an additional oil sump cover helps limit the movement of lubricants when the car quickly changes direction. Under extreme longitudinal acceleration and deceleration, an oil extraction pump and a sophisticated oil return system situated close to the turbochargers help to maintain uninterrupted oil circulation. Sufficient oil is therefore supplied continuously to all engine components in all driving situations – whether on the road or the track.
      The BMW M2 Competition features a range of measures designed to deal with the increased cooling requirements, compared with the previous model. An enlarged BMW kidney grill and a new front skirt with modified air flow improve the flow for the front of the car. The car also makes use of the track-tested cooling system of the BMW M4 with the Competition Package, consisting of one central radiator, two side radiators and an additional engine oil cooler. Cars making use of the optional seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) also feature a transmission oil cooler.
      Dual exhaust system with two electrically-controlled flaps.
      The BMW M2 Competition’s S55 engine exhales through a completely new exhaust system. The dual-branch design features a new muffler and the four tailpipes, finished in black chrome, identify the car immediately as a BMW M model. Two electrically-controlled flaps ensure that the BMW M2 Competition delivers the distinctive BMW M Sound, which the driver can adjust by selecting a driving mode with M Dynamic Performance Control via the selector switch in the center console.
      Choice of two transmission variants.
      The new BMW M2 Competition comes standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, which is notable for its compact design and light weight. The use of a new type of carbon-fiber friction lining enhances the manual shift feel. The BMW M2 is equipped with rev matching technology which blips the throttle on downshifts and lowers the engine’s revs on upshifts, making gear changes even smoother. This lends the car additional stability during hard driving on the track.
      The seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT with Drivelogic) can be ordered as an option. This system effectively combines two gearboxes, each with its own clutch, and enables either extremely fast gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power or ultra-smooth shifts. The driver can change gears either in automated or manual mode by using the gearshift lever on the center console or shift paddles on the M leather steering wheel. In both automatic and manual modes, Drivelogic provides the driver with a choice between three preconfigured driving programs: COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+. In automatic mode, the driver can then adjust the speed of the gearshift, its intensity, and the automatic throttle blipping function on downshifts.
      Increased front-end rigidity for greater steering precision.
      The engine compartment contains the most striking component: the CFRP high-precision strut brace from the BMW M3/M4. This one-piece brace made from extremely light, yet high-strength, carbon fiber weighs in at just 3.3 lbs. Together with the bulkhead strut from the M4, it significantly increases front section rigidity and improves steering behavior and precision.
      The high-performance chassis utilizes the lightweight aluminum intensive front and rear axles from the BMW M3/M4. In order to ensure extremely precise wheel location, tight tolerance ball joints are used to transmit transverse forces. The control arms and wheel carriers of the new five-link rear axle are made from forged aluminum. A racing-derived rigid connection, dispensing with rubber bushings, is used to fix the lightweight steel grid-type rear axle sub frame to the body. This improves wheel location and tracking stability.
      BMW M engineers have adjusted the operation of the electromechanical power steering to further improve performance and increase front end rigidity. The integrated Servotronic function with M-specific characteristics controls the level of steering assistance electronically according to the car’s speed and to the Drivelogic settings made by the driver, allowing power steering assistance to be adjusted based on personal preference.
      Active M Differential and recalibrated DSC.
      The Dynamic Stability Control has been completely recalibrated for the BMW M2 Competition. Electronics exercise even more delicate control, providing improved traction in wet and slippery conditions, and ensuring that traction is not interrupted during drifts. Support is provided by the Active M Differential, an electronically controlled multi-plate limited-slip differential that takes traction and directional stability to a new level of precision and speed. The locking effect can vary between 0 and 100 percent, according to the driving situation, and reacts to the car’s steering angle, accelerator position, brake pressure, engine torque, wheel speed and yaw rate. The control unit uses this analysis of the driving situation to detect the threat of traction loss on one side of the car and calculates the required locking effect, which is engaged by an electric motor. The full locking power of over 1,800 lb-ft is available within 150 milliseconds. This allows the system to prevent a wheel from spinning in extreme conditions on slippery road surfaces or when the two rear wheels are experiencing significant differences in friction coefficient.
      In certain situations, the Active M Differential even works proactively. When pulling away on slippery surfaces, the lock is closed by a defined percentage even before a wheel can start to spin, to ensure that both wheels develop equal slip at the same time. The lock is also closed by the required percentage through enthusiastically driven corners, according to the levels of lateral acceleration and drive at work. This prevents the low-traction inside wheel from starting to turn too quickly. This permanent and infinitely variable differential control also increases agility, avoids understeer on the way into corners and improves directional stability under braking and load changes.
      M Dynamic Mode (MDM) is a sub-function of Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) that can be activated automatically by either selecting SPORT+ mode, or engaging manually via the DSC button. In certain situations – e.g. track driving – it allows a greater degree of wheel spin. The DSC mode stabilizing measures now intervene later, increasing the freedom available to drivers at the limit. The extra wheel slip enhances traction and therefore forward propulsion. More significant oversteer and understeer situations are possible, as are moderate, controlled drifts, but the Dynamic Stability Control active safety aids can still be relied on in critical situations.
      M Sport brakes developed from motorsport experience.
      The new high-performance M Sport brakes provide maximum brake performance and are a product of the extensive motorsport experience at BMW M GmbH. Compared to the outgoing M2’s M compound brakes, with blue metallic brake calipers (front 4-piston fixed caliper and 380 mm diameter disks and rear 2-piston fixed caliper with 370 mm diameter disks) the new M Sport brakes found in the M2 Competition have larger brake disks (front: 400 mm in diameter, rear: 380 mm in diameter) as well as larger brake calipers(front: 6-piston fixed and rear: 4-piston fixed), painted in a grey finish. These high-performance brakes provide excellent deceleration in all conditions and impress with their resistance to fade and heat.
      New forged wheels with two color options.
      The new 19-inch forged wheels are available (front axle: 9J x 19, rear axle 10J x 19) with the Y-spoke design in a high-sheen finish, and in two color options: light high-sheen (bi-color), or with a black front surface. The front 245/35 R19 tires meet the most demanding requirements in terms of lateral stability, directional stability, steering feel and steering precision. The rear 265/35 R19 tires deliver optimal traction, and the required lateral and directional stability.
      Interior Equipment
      When opening the door of the new BMW M2 Competition, drivers are greeted by the M2 Competition logo on the sill plate. They can then settle into the ergonomically and visually stunning M Sport seat. The bucket-style shape of the seat borrows heavily from motorsport and provides drivers with optimum support, while the headrests are integrated into the seat back rest.
      An illuminated M2 logo nestles in the backrest of the M Sport seat. The seat and the backrest boast black leather upholstery with design perforations, available in blue or orange. These touches of color are also reflected in the leather stitching on seats and armrests, while Alcantara leather is used to cover the sides of the side bolsters. The classic BMW M stripes have been woven into the M safety belts and the M-specific stitching can also be found on the steering wheel.
      A glance at the dashboard reveals the welcome layout for the instruments, which displays the M2 Competition logo for a few seconds at startup. A red start / stop button underlines the motorsport heritage of the car.
      Selector switches on the center console.
      The first ever BMW M2 Competition provides drivers with two selector switches in the center console that allow direct access to adjust various vehicle characteristics and settings, a feature familiar from other BMW M models. The switches can be used to directly access various settings for stability control, for example the three engine characteristics, or the steering modes. Drivers can also use the selector switches to adapt the settings they want for various areas and combine these as they please. They also adjust Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) – a short dab activates MDM mode, while holding the switch down longer switches DSC off.
      M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel.
      The M1 and M2 buttons on the steering wheel also provide direct access to the range of driving modes. Drivers can save their own personal configurations chosen from the settings for stability control, engine characteristics and steering - control over the personality of the BMW M2 is at their fingertips. The M1 and M2 steering wheel buttons are preprogramed with a Comfort and a Sport program as standard and drivers can return to these settings at any time.
      New equipment details.
      The evolution of the BMW M2 Coupe into the new BMW M2 Competition has been accompanied by some upgrades to the standard features as well. The sporty coupe now boasts Active Driving Assistant and Park Distance Control (PDC) which monitors the car’s surroundings and keeps an eye on what is in front of the car, as well as to the rear.
      The extensive range of equipment provided as standard marks the BMW M2 Competition as one of the most dynamic sports cars around. This includes the lightweight M Sport chassis, the six-speed manual gearbox with throttle blipping function and the Active M Differential on the rear axle, guaranteeing optimum traction and unbeatable directional stability. Electromechanical M Servotronic power steering and the M Dynamic Mode (MDM) for Dynamic Stability Control are also available allowing aspiring racing drivers to easily enjoy controlled drifts on the circuit. M Sports seats, the M leather steering wheel, an M footrest and knee pad on the center console and trim strips with surfacing in open pore carbon fiber all adorn the interior.
      Customers can add additional individual touches to their car with a hand-picked range of options. The list of options includes highlights such as the seven-speed M Double Clutch Transmission (M DCT) with Drivelogic, allowing gear changes with no interruption in the flow of power, or the M Driver’s Package, which raises the limit on the top speed of the new BMW M2 Competition to 174 mph and comes with a BMW Driving Experience voucher for a track training course at the BMW Performance Center East or West.
      BMW Personal CoPilot enhances safety, comfort and entertainment.
      New BMW M2 Competition customers can make use of numerous driver assistance systems and mobility services through BMW Personal CoPilot. The range of optional driver assistance systems includes the standard Active Driving Assistant, which comprises features such as Collision Warning and Pedestrian Warning with City Braking function, and Lane Departure Warning. Speed Limit Info flashes up traffic signs and the permitted top speed. The rear-view camera teams up with standard rear Park Distance Control to assist drivers with reverse parking and maneuvering. The standard Navigation Professional offers an ultra-sharp map display and the iDrive Touch Controller ensures the various functions are even easier to use.

View full article
    • By William Maley
      BMW Group U.S. Reports March 2018 Sales
      BMW Group sales decrease 0.4 percent in March 2018. BMW brand sales increase 1 percent. MINI brand sales decrease 9.1 percent. BMW Group electrified vehicle sales increase 71.1, accounting for 7.4 percent of total U.S. sales in March 2018. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 3, 2018… Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 1 percent in March 2018 for a total of 31,311­­ compared to 31,015 vehicles sold in March 2017. Through Q1 2018, BMW brand sales are up 3.0 percent year-over-year.
      BMW brand sales in March 2018 were once again led by BMW’s lineup of Sports Activity Vehicles and the BMW 5 Series, which has shown strong growth for nine straight months.
      “It’s Spring and thoughts naturally turn to new cars with March giving us another uptick in sales – five months in a row – as the 5 Series continues to defy conventional thinking and proves there’s still a place in the market for a great sedan,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “At the same time, our X model lineup is expanding with the X2 now fully in the marketplace and Sports Activity Vehicles nearing 50% of our sales.”
      MINI Brand Sales
      For March, MINI USA reported 4,531 vehicles sold, a decrease of 9.1 percent from the 4,987 sold in the same month a year ago.
      BMW Group Sales
      In total, BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported March 2018 sales of 35,842 vehicles, a decrease of 0.4 percent from the 36,002 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago.
      BMW Group Electrified Vehicle Sales
      BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) sales of electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles totaled 2,662 in March 2018, an increase of 71.1 percent from the 1,556 sold in the same month a year ago. BMW Group electrified vehicles accounted for 7.4 percent of U.S. sales in March 2018.

• By dfelt
      Detroit Auto Show for 2019 Loses BMW
      Detroit 2018 auto show was skipped by Volvo, Porsche, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Land Rover and Jaguar with Ferrari, Bentley and Aston Martin showing auto's at The Gallery event before the auto show. Many other automakers had booths but held no press conferences. Cadillac showed off existing products but had no press events and stated New York was the show where new Auto's and concepts would be shown.
      BMW now 6 weeks after Mercedes-benz pulled out has announced they will no longer be part of the show so also count BMW and Mini as no shows at Detroit. Seems the show will mostly be dead next year unless they respond fast to doing a fall show.
      Autoblog story
    • By William Maley
      BMW has plans of launching 25 electrified models by 2025 - 12 of those being fully electric. But don't expect to start seeing mass production of those 12 models anytime soon. BMW CEO Harald Krueger told analysts in Munich that its current electric vehicle technology is not profitable enough to scale up to volume production.
      “We wanted to wait for the fifth generation to be much more cost competitive. We do not want to scale up with the fourth generation,” said Krueger.
      The difference in costs between the fourth and fifth-generation according to Krueger "was a “two digit number” in percent terms."
      BMW is currently developing a sixth-generation of electric technologies that encompasses research into battery cells, and will hopefully bring down the costs.
      Currently, BMW's only EV is the i3. The lineup will expand beginning next year with the MINI E. This will be followed by the iX3 crossover in 2020. A sedan based on the iVision Dynamics concept will also be joining the lineup, though when exactly is unclear at this time. Auto Express which first reported this news says it will come out in 2020. But when asked by Automotive News Europe, Krueger said, "we shall see."
      Source: Reuters, Auto Express, Automotive News Europe (Subscription Required)

View full article
  • My Clubs