Item: Chevy SS Sedan

3 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Yo.. Congrads on a magnificent automobile... I will say to U.. a person who loves modding.. now.. U can seriously MOD away. i70mfl.jpg

It'll be a while before I do anything to this car. I'll probably keep it N/A and try to push 400 whp. I want to keep the balance this thing already has as an excellent daily driver with very reasonable real-world fuel economy. I've maybe lost an MPG or two compared to my V6 and this is nowhere near broken in.

8 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

It'll be a while before I do anything to this car. I'll probably keep it N/A and try to push 400 whp. I want to keep the balance this thing already has as an excellent daily driver with very reasonable real-world fuel economy. I've maybe lost an MPG or two compared to my V6 and this is nowhere near broken in.

Sounds good.. and lets be honest... at :

2015 Chevrolet SS Manual (C&D)
Zero to 60 mph: 4.6 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 10.7 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 18.3 sec
Zero to 150 mph: 31.1 sec
Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 5.3 sec
Top gear, 30-50 mph: 9.5 sec
Top gear, 50-70 mph: 9.6 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.0 sec @ 111 mph
Top speed (governor limited, C/D est): 160 mph
Braking, 70-0 mph: 159 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.97 g
Curb weight: 3970 lb
C/D observed fuel economy: 15 mpg 

I think that compared to most DD.. U are miles ahead. What will give U serious chubs is that with a CAI and an exhaust swap.. U are most likely gonna add a min of 35HP bringing that 415 to 450. Do a $400 tune.. and grab another 25

I won't rag on U for your novice Manual skills..:D but I will find U and kick that ass if U eff up that sweet shifting clutch^_^

• Agree 1

"No more anxiety, just ass kicking. This car is incredible."

Would almost make sleeping on the couch for a Month after his wife found out how much he spent worthwhile....

Better than anything I will ever own or drive, fantastic choice!

Congratulations on the awesome car! Hope it serves you well  for many years.  I think it is an instant classic. I think very few people realize what car that is, so you will be able to surprise quite a few knuckleheads.

Going from a regular FWD sedan to a high power RWD performance car can be tricky, so take it slow and easy, especially in bad weather,

I would suggest you to go to a few local autocross events where you can explore the handling limits of the car in a safe environment at relatively slow speeds without danger of wrecking the car.  It is a lot of fun and very educational.

1 minute ago, ykX said:

Congratulations on the awesome car! Hope it serves you well  for many years.  I think it is an instant classic. I think very few people realize what car that is, so you will be able to surprise quite a few knuckleheads.

Going from a regular FWD sedan to a high power RWD performance car can be tricky, so take it slow and easy, especially in bad weather,

I would suggest you to go to a few local autocross events where you can explore the handling limits of the car in a safe environment at relatively slow speeds without danger of wrecking the car.  It is a lot of fun and very educational.

Agree with the autocross thing...lots of fun.

We need CP to buy a Pontiac G8 GXP as a garage mate for this car I think...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-pontiac-g8-gxp-short-take-road-test

Same era as the departed Malibu, and a nice book end for the SS...

3 hours ago, ykX said:

To be fair, the Malibu made about as much power as any reasonable person can handle in FWD, but I know what you're saying. Very different driving dynamics and weight distribution.

It might sound ridiculous, but my Gran Turismo set up with my Logitech G20 racing wheel (complete with clutch and stick) taught me a LOT about driving manual and high power RWD. From the very first day, I didn't drive the SS anything like the Malibu in the rain. I instinctively brake early and stay off the skinny pedal through turns, and I'm very conscious of keeping the rear end in check.

I appreciate the autocross suggestion, but I don't have much interest in ripping through tires/brakes and beating on the car any time soon. It's been non-stop crappy weather since I got the car, but when the sun comes out I'll be taking some of my favorite local drives to rack up the break-in miles.

5 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

I think that compared to most DD.. U are miles ahead. What will give U serious chubs is that with a CAI and an exhaust swap.. U are most likely gonna add a min of 35HP bringing that 415 to 450. Do a $400 tune.. and grab another 25

I won't rag on U for your novice Manual skills..:D but I will find U and kick that ass if U eff up that sweet shifting clutch^_^

I'm not touching this exhaust. I know there are aftermarket options that retain dual-mode functionality, but it's perfect as is. Sport/performance mode is one of the best factory exhaust notes I've ever heard, and in tour mode the car purrs subtly for road trips without any drone.

It's probably making more than 415 hp to begin with because it was never re-certified with dual mode exhaust.

When I mod the car, I'll be looking into intake (possibly over-the-radiator ram-air style), ported throttle-body and intake manifold, and a professional dyno tune. That should put me well into the 12s in the 1/4 mile and I'll be happy.

45 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I'm not touching this exhaust. I know there are aftermarket options that retain dual-mode functionality, but it's perfect as is. Sport/performance mode is one of the best factory exhaust notes I've ever heard, and in tour mode the car purrs subtly for road trips without any drone.

It's probably making more than 415 hp to begin with because it was never re-certified with dual mode exhaust.

When I mod the car, I'll be looking into intake (possibly over-the-radiator ram-air style), ported throttle-body and intake manifold, and a professional dyno tune. That should put me well into the 12s in the 1/4 mile and I'll be happy.

Agree on exhaust...GM nailed it to begin with...

3 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

I would say the NPP adds about 5-7HP. As to changing it.. COOL.. I love it on both the V and Vette. $1400 stays in your pocket with no risk of that disgusting DRONE that sometimes accompanies Borla, Corsa, and such.. 

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really like these cars, subtle and kind of blend in..they are definitely enthusiast products that fly under the radar.   There is a blue they had i like. 

The laser blue is probably the best looking color to show off the subtly muscular design, but you sacrifice a lot of stealth with it. I felt nightfall gray was the ideal compromise, the car wears it like a tailored suit.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cp-the-nerd said:

The laser blue is probably the best looking color to show off the subtly muscular design, but you sacrifice a lot of stealth with it. I felt nightfall gray was the ideal compromise, the car wears it like a tailored suit.

Agreed, although I really like it in red also.

2 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I really like these cars, subtle and kind of blend in..they are definitely enthusiast products that fly under the radar.   There is a blue they had i like. 

I have seen it in that blue and woudl agree.

Great choice, man!! Easily the most overlooked and underrated enthusiast car on the market. Those in the know.....know. It delivers all the things you look for in a sport sedan in spades. It's basically the M5 that BMW doesn't build anymore. Congrats, and I am genuinely jealous!! And major props for getting the manual!!

• Agree 2

On 4/29/2017 at 0:54 PM, Frisky Dingo said:

Great choice, man!! Easily the most overlooked and underrated enthusiast car on the market. Those in the know.....know. It delivers all the things you look for in a sport sedan in spades. It's basically the M5 that BMW doesn't build anymore. Congrats, and I am genuinely jealous!! And major props for getting the manual!!

It's funny, I was only a lukewarm fan in 2014 when GM brought these stateside, but every year they tweaked and added standard content: magnetic ride, stick shift, etc.

When they reworked the front fascia for 2016, I suddenly realized the SS was at the top of my favorite potential cars list, and I've just been flat out lusting after it for the past 6 months because they introduced Nightfall Gray for 2017 (one of my favorite colors).

The 6-speed manual was a requirement no matter what car I bought. I was sick of driving auto, and that's despite having the Malibu V6/6A dialed in to perfection with HPTuners.

36 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

It's funny, I was only a lukewarm fan in 2014 when GM brought these stateside, but every year they tweaked and added standard content: magnetic ride, stick shift, etc.

When they reworked the front fascia for 2016, I suddenly realized the SS was at the top of my favorite potential cars list, and I've just been flat out lusting after it for the past 6 months because they introduced Nightfall Gray for 2017 (one of my favorite colors).

The 6-speed manual was a requirement no matter what car I bought. I was sick of driving auto, and that's despite having the Malibu V6/6A dialed in to perfection with HPTuners.

Variety is the spice of life...easier to change cars than change wives.  And after being with mine for 32 years, married for almost 29, I have no desire to trade my wife in.

That color grey in that car is a fantastic choice...Gm really got the interior right on that ride also IMHO.

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Variety is the spice of life...easier to change cars than change wives.  And after being with mine for 32 years, married for almost 29, I have no desire to trade my wife in.

That color grey in that car is a fantastic choice...Gm really got the interior right on that ride also IMHO.

My only criticism of the interior is that GM didn't offer this color combination from Australia. I'm a sucker for high contrast interiors.

3b9f84a7764bfbec61db4e179b27e1cc.jpg

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

My only criticism of the interior is that GM didn't offer this color combination from Australia. I'm a sucker for high contrast interiors.

Our market seems stuck on bland...even the Miata, which is supposed to be a sporty car, is only available in white, a not terribly exciting maroon, and a dark grey/black that would be too dowdy for a 1946 Plymouth.

The Jeep Renegade has some cool colors, drove by the local Chryco dealer the other day and one green one, about 50 in dark grey, black or white. Would be perfect if you were selling jeeps to mimes....

Image result for mime

Agree on the high contrast interior.

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Our market seems stuck on bland...even the Miata, which is supposed to be a sporty car, is only available in white, a not terribly exciting maroon, and a dark grey/black that would be too dowdy for a 1946 Plymouth.

Agree on the high contrast interior

Yeah, when I was hunting CPO JGCs in March, it seemed like 95% of them had black or despair gray interiors...after 17 years w/ a charcoal gray interior, I was craving something lighter or high contrast w a sun roof..really liking the black and cream interior, even though it will be more work to keep clean. 

IMG_1839.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, cp-the-nerd said:

AGREE i love those kinds of interiors too.  The SS has a fantastic interior...quite possibly the most comfortable seats in a GM sedan.....

SS is worth getting for the interior alone, apart from just the powertrain.

Edited by regfootball
  • Agree 2

I just realized....

I NEVER COMMENTED!

I approved but I never told you how awesome your car is and for you to enjoy her!

Chevy-SS-2168.gif

Well, your car is exceptionally AWESOME!

ENJOY THE HELL OUTTA OF IT!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 2

Thanks, Olds!

I'm getting better at driving it every day. My latest goal is working on my heavy throttle shifts, both downshifting to pass and upshifting for 0-70 mph highway style merging (or, you know, sh!ts and grins).

There seems to be two prevailing opinions on the clutch: people that love the feel and people who have trouble getting used to the mid/high engagement point. My dad got in the car and drove it like he's owned it for ten years, but I'm currently in the latter group. I'm still trying to find the right spot to dig my heal in for left foot control. I've smoothed out my shifts for relaxed driving, but quick gear changes are rough.

I've also been playing with the Bose centerpoint system, and while the factory settings left a lot to be desired, I have it dialed in pretty good manually. The fade setting had to shift about a foot rearward to be "in" the music and the bass had to come up about 30%. Classic analog rock sounds alright, but modern digital sound is on point.

4 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Thanks, Olds!

I'm getting better at driving it every day. My latest goal is working on my heavy throttle shifts, both downshifting to pass and upshifting for 0-70 mph highway style merging (or, you know, sh!ts and grins).

There seems to be two prevailing opinions on the clutch: people that love the feel and people who have trouble getting used to the mid/high engagement point. My dad got in the car and drove it like he's owned it for ten years, but I'm currently in the latter group. I'm still trying to find the right spot to dig my heal in for left foot control. I've smoothed out my shifts for relaxed driving, but quick gear changes are rough.

I've also been playing with the Bose centerpoint system, and while the factory settings left a lot to be desired, I have it dialed in pretty good manually. The fade setting had to shift about a foot rearward to be "in" the music and the bass had to come up about 30%. Classic analog rock sounds alright, but modern digital sound is on point.

Very Cool, Once you get your high speed or aggressive driving shifts down, I then Challenge you to take it one step further. Learn to speed shift in your auto. That does depend on RPM but man can you fly for fast responsive changes and lots of aggressive driving fun! :P Not sure what I am talking about here is a good overview.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2084716_speed-shift-manual-transmission-drag.html

Also you can then take this one step further with clutchless shifting, timing is everything but once you learn your timing, you can shift without  depressing the clutch.

Your car is very cool, Rock on! :metal: 

8 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Very Cool, Once you get your high speed or aggressive driving shifts down, I then Challenge you to take it one step further. Learn to speed shift in your auto. That does depend on RPM but man can you fly for fast responsive changes and lots of aggressive driving fun! :P Not sure what I am talking about here is a good overview.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2084716_speed-shift-manual-transmission-drag.html

Also you can then take this one step further with clutchless shifting, timing is everything but once you learn your timing, you can shift without  depressing the clutch.

Your car is very cool, Rock on! :metal: 

Ahh I was confused by that term at first, most people I know refer to that as "power shifting" not speed shifting. One day when I feel I've mastered the car and it's paid off, I'll probably try that. In the 70s and 80s, my dad's daily driver was a badass LeMans/GTO conversion that had a 326 racing motor with judge cam. He'd power shift that 4-speed and knock off 12s all day. Doesn't sound like much now, but back then not much could run with him.

I'm never going to attempt clutchless shifting though, that seems pretty foolhardy for an extra tenth or two in the 1/4 mile, and I'm not looking to abuse the car.

16 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

Ahh I was confused by that term at first, most people I know refer to that as "power shifting" not speed shifting. One day when I feel I've mastered the car and it's paid off, I'll probably try that. In the 70s and 80s, my dad's daily driver was a badass LeMans/GTO conversion that had a 326 racing motor with judge cam. He'd power shift that 4-speed and knock off 12s all day. Doesn't sound like much now, but back then not much could run with him.

I'm never going to attempt clutchless shifting though, that seems pretty foolhardy for an extra tenth or two in the 1/4 mile, and I'm not looking to abuse the car.

Totally can understand, yes clutchless shifting is hard on a transmission without experience. I learned and then rebuilt my trans, but that was long ago and no I just enjoy the experience of speed shifting.

Fantastic car!  They are so smooth and stable on the road. They track really well.  Comparing their driving dynamics to a BMW is not unfounded.  The best part is the big American V8 under the hood.  

It's unfortunate that the Hellcats get all the attention for their huge horsepower numbers, but the SS is so much better of a car dynamically that it more than makes up for the large horsepower deficiency. 

It's also unfortunate that this is the end of the SS. 

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, frogger said:

Love this car, fixed what I didn't like about the G8 (mostly the interior).  It would be very hard to resist picking one up at some point, but it was never available in Canada.

It really impressed me how GM never stopped tweaking and improving the SS, maybe we have Holden execs to thank. By '16-17 this car had added magnetic ride, dual mode exhaust, manual transmission, front and rear 4-piston brembos (rears were conventional brakes in '14-15), and that sound induction tube from the intake for extra V8 noise in the cabin. If there's anything still lacking whatsoever, I don't know what it is.

Assuming it's reliable and I can make the payments till I own it, you'll have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands. Also, I'll be in the driver's seat with rigor mortis so have fun getting me out.

• Agree 2

...I will just convert it to right hand drive and ride around with you as a very stoic passenger,actually.

20 hours ago, frogger said:

Love this car, fixed what I didn't like about the G8 (mostly the interior).  It would be very hard to resist picking one up at some point, but it was never available in Canada.

We get lots of things you all don't, but you get things we don't....kind of strange.

• Agree 1

On ‎05‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:36 PM, cp-the-nerd said:

Thanks, Olds!

In no time you will master it! You seem quite enthused about this whole shifting thing...passion makes you learn faster!

21 hours ago, frogger said:

There was always something odd about the Pontiac G8 to me. I loved it...but not with passion! I think its because it was not aggressive enough in looks to me.

The Chevy SS comes along and it looked to me even less aggressive.

But, like you said, we don't get this one...so I cant really judge it.

Over the last couple of years though, the SS has grown on me in ways the G8 couldn't.

Maybe its because the SS has become the G8 GXP with the magnetic shocks...

Maybe its because the interior of the SS looks like it belongs in an Oldsmobile rather than a Chevrolet or a Pontiac.

Maybe its because its  forbidden fruit up in Canada!

I don't know if Id buy one...V8 RWD in Quebec is still not ideal....but who knows...maybe Id try to swing one now that its gonna go away!

PS: I drove by the GM dealership the other day...and there was a metallic blue 2.0T Camaro outside....I stopped by to see it...

Do NOT tell El Kabong....but I kinda started lusting over it!

Maybe its the idea of the Exorcist that is getting me giddy over it!

I don't know...

Muscle Cars with cartoonish names get my attention!

The Judge.

Hellcat

Road Runner

Demon (part 1 and part 2)

the Exorcist

Super Snake

Macho Trans Am

4-4-2

GNX

Same with the cartoonish graphics...

Edited by oldshurst442

On 5/4/2017 at 0:27 PM, cp-the-nerd said:

It really impressed me how GM never stopped tweaking and improving the SS, maybe we have Holden execs to thank. By '16-17 this car had added magnetic ride, dual mode exhaust, manual transmission, front and rear 4-piston brembos (rears were conventional brakes in '14-15), and that sound induction tube from the intake for extra V8 noise in the cabin. If there's anything still lacking whatsoever, I don't know what it is.

Assuming it's reliable and I can make the payments till I own it, you'll have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands. Also, I'll be in the driver's seat with rigor mortis so have fun getting me out.

You'll want to send your Thank You note to Mark Reuss.  He's the one who's kept this car alive for as long as it's been going on. He had major input in the Zeta program way back when he was working in Australia. 

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

You'll want to send your Thank You note to Mark Reuss.  He's the one who's kept this car alive for as long as it's been going on. He had major input in the Zeta program way back when he was working in Australia. 

I always liked Reuss. Seems like a guy who can pound some beers with you and talk cars for hours.

• Agree 1