dfelt

2017 GMC Acadia - Denali or All-Terrain, what would you choose?

Denali or All-Terrain?   

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose of the two packages?

• Denali Edition
    • All-Terrain Edition

2017 GMC Acadia - Denali or All-Terrain, what would you choose?

As I have spent time with my son looking at various CUV models, I cam across the new Acadia and learned they had a monochromatic version that I think is very sharp looking. GMC has built a very nice profitable line by offering Denali on every model they make. Yet not everyone likes Chrome all over. So this brings up the desire to see what people think. I configured up two near identical CUVs with the only difference being the All-Terrain package on an SLT2 equipped Acadia and the Denali package on an SLT2 equipped Acadia.

What are your thoughts?

Review the two listing autos below and sound off on what you think of monochromatic off road or chromed on road CUV!

2017 GMC Acadia Denali

2017AcadiaDenali.jpg

2017AcadiaDenaliInterior.jpg

2017AcadiaDenaliPackage.jpg

2017 GMC Acadia All-Terrain

2017-GMC-AllTerrainBlack.jpg

2017-GMC-AllTerrainInterior.jpg

2017-GMC-AllTerrain.jpg

I'd probably go for the All-Terrain.  Looks wise it's a wash for me as I like them both the same, but the All-Terrain has a superior AWD system that the Denali does not have. 

Personally, Denali has too much chrome for my taste, I like how regular Acadia looks and I like All-Terrain looks.

Plus better AWD system is good since the regular AWD system is not that great.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I'd probably go for the All-Terrain.  Looks wise it's a wash for me as I like them both the same, but the All-Terrain has a superior AWD system that the Denali does not have. 

Drew, I noticed the Advanced AWD Dual Clutch system on the All-Terrain, but have not found much more on explaining the differences. Have you access to a better explanation of the differences between the two AWD systems?

Only thing stated on the web site: 

• Specially tuned AWD for off-road and multi-terrain environments to enhance handing and stability

Weird, doing multiple Bing and Google searches I found vague  comments on their advanced AWD system for the All-Terrain system. Then I copied and pasted the line from their web site and boom, BING actually listed the following page for the All-Terrain AWD system. VERY COOL

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/testing-the-2017-acadia-all-terrain.html

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Drew, I noticed the Advanced AWD Dual Clutch system on the All-Terrain, but have not found much more on explaining the differences. Have you access to a better explanation of the differences between the two AWD systems?

Only thing stated on the web site: 

• Specially tuned AWD for off-road and multi-terrain environments to enhance handing and stability

Weird, doing multiple Bing and Google searches I found vague  comments on their advanced AWD system for the All-Terrain system. Then I copied and pasted the line from their web site and boom, BING actually listed the following page for the All-Terrain AWD system. VERY COOL

http://www.gmc.com/gmc-life/suvs/testing-the-2017-acadia-all-terrain.html

The AWD in the All-Terrain is the advanced new twin-clutch that the Cadillac XT5 and Buick Lacrosse have.  It is also the same system setup as the Focus RS, though without the performance characteristics.  The twin-clutch can act much more like an actual 4-wheel drive system than most AWD systems do, but it can also shut off power to the rear wheels completely when on dry pavement at speed, saving fuel.

• Upvote 1

Denali all the way for me!

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

The AWD in the All-Terrain is the advanced new twin-clutch that the Cadillac XT5 and Buick Lacrosse have.  It is also the same system setup as the Focus RS, though without the performance characteristics.  The twin-clutch can act much more like an actual 4-wheel drive system than most AWD systems do, but it can also shut off power to the rear wheels completely when on dry pavement at speed, saving fuel.

Interesting, did not know that.

• Upvote 1

All of the other Acadias have a "normal" AWD system, which as @ykX mentioned isn't as capable. Oh it will get you through mild snow, but that's about it. 

Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

All of the other Acadias have a "normal" AWD system, which as @ykX mentioned isn't as capable. Oh it will get you through mild snow, but that's about it. 

I might have to re consider my vote then...

24 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The video was great in bringing out what you stated for us. Thank you

Question, how does this compare to Jeeps GC AWD system? Do we have any comparisons or know how it stacks up?

11 minutes ago, dfelt said:

The video was great in bringing out what you stated for us. Thank you

Question, how does this compare to Jeeps GC AWD system? Do we have any comparisons or know how it stacks up?

Oh Jeep..... their AWD systems are so great in number they have a webpage just to explain what each one does.   The Grand Cherokee has four different AWD systems available.  I'm just going to link the website so you can read them for yourself.  The Quadra-Drive II with rear ELSD is the most capable. Quadra-Trac I is the least capable and most like the standard AWD systems in the Acadia.

I would put bets on the Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Drive II and ELSD being the most capable off-road vehicle in this class with the only possible competition coming from certain off-road equipped Toyota 4-Runners.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Oh Jeep..... their AWD systems are so great in number they have a webpage just to explain what each one does.   The Grand Cherokee has four different AWD systems available.  I'm just going to link the website so you can read them for yourself.  The Quadra-Drive II with rear ELSD is the most capable. Quadra-Trac I is the least capable and most like the standard AWD systems in the Acadia.

I would put bets on the Grand Cherokee with Quadra-Drive II and ELSD being the most capable off-road vehicle in this class with the only possible competition coming from certain off-road equipped Toyota 4-Runners.

Awesome, thank you, greatly appreciate the link.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Thanks for the link, I will check that out.  I had no idea that any SUV's were offered with differing 4wd systems and choices.  I knew Jeep built trail rated, but I thought that was just additional ground clearance and gear ratios.

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Vail, Colorado today, GMC took the wraps off the 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL.  As before, the top of the Yukon lineup will be the Denali trim, but joining the Denali for the first time is the brand's new AT4 trim which is a more off-road ready version.
      The Yukon gets an all-new interior while the Denali gets its own exclusive version. The Denali instrument panel is completely new and there are also unique seats  and four color themes.  Real wood trims with a natural look and texture join with a Denali only leather, hand-stitched interior.  For the driver, there is a 15-inch diagonal multicolor heads-up display.  On the Denali, AT4, and SLT trims, there is an available power sliding center console that allow the console to slide back up to 10 inches offering a large storage area. 
      Joining the lineup is the AT4 version. All GMC nameplates except the Savanna will be getting an AT4 version by the end of this year.  The Yukon AT4 gets a unique front fascia, and body color or dark accents around the outside, and a pair of red recovery hooks on the front.  The AT4 can be ordered with a four-corner air ride adaptive suspension that can raise the vehicle an additional 2-inches. The air ride system also lowers the vehicle 0.75 of an inch when at speed and can lower the vehicle up to two inches for easier ingress and egress. 
      Also included in the Yukon AT4 are at two-speed transfer case, 20-inch wheels, traction select system with off-road mode, hill descent control, skid plats, AT4-exclusive leather appointed seats, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, and heated outboard second row seats. 
      The 4th generation of GM's magnetic ride control is available in certain trims. Also available is an electronic limited slip differential. When in 4WD low, the eLSD operates at full lock to prevent wheelslip. 
      The Yukon will offer three engine choices. An all-new version of the 6.2-liter V8 that produces 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque is a buy-up option. Standard is the venerable 5.3-liter, updated with new stop/start technology and dynamic fuel management which can allow the vehicle to run on as few a two cylinders.  Additionally, a 3.0 liter inline 6-cylinder turbo diesel joins the Yukon for the first time.  No matter which engine is selected, the transmission is a 10-speed automatic activated through GMC's new Electronic Precision Shift push-button selector. 
      Like the recently revealed 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe, the Yukon gains 4.9-inches in wheelbase and that leads to a big increase in interior room.
        2020 Yukon   2021 Yukon Change Wheelbase (inches)
      +4.9
      Overall Length (inches)
      +6.1
      Legroom – Third Row
      +10.1
      Cargo Room Behind Third Row (cubic feet)
      +10.2
      Maximum Cargo Room
      (cubic feet)
      +28.2

2020 Yukon XL 2021 Yukon XL Change Wheelbase (inches)
      +4.1
      Overall Length (inches)
      +0.9
      Legroom – Third Row (inches)
      +2.2
      +1.8
      Maximum Cargo Room
      (cubic feet)
      +23

The 2021 Yukon and Yukon XL go on sale later this year with pricing to be released closer to on sale date. 

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      At an event in Vail, Colorado today, GMC took the wraps off the 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL.  As before, the top of the Yukon lineup will be the Denali trim, but joining the Denali for the first time is the brand's new AT4 trim which is a more off-road ready version.
      The Yukon gets an all-new interior while the Denali gets its own exclusive version. The Denali instrument panel is completely new and there are also unique seats  and four color themes.  Real wood trims with a natural look and texture join with a Denali only leather, hand-stitched interior.  For the driver, there is a 15-inch diagonal multicolor heads-up display.  On the Denali, AT4, and SLT trims, there is an available power sliding center console that allow the console to slide back up to 10 inches offering a large storage area. 
      Joining the lineup is the AT4 version. All GMC nameplates except the Savanna will be getting an AT4 version by the end of this year.  The Yukon AT4 gets a unique front fascia, and body color or dark accents around the outside, and a pair of red recovery hooks on the front.  The AT4 can be ordered with a four-corner air ride adaptive suspension that can raise the vehicle an additional 2-inches. The air ride system also lowers the vehicle 0.75 of an inch when at speed and can lower the vehicle up to two inches for easier ingress and egress. 
      Also included in the Yukon AT4 are at two-speed transfer case, 20-inch wheels, traction select system with off-road mode, hill descent control, skid plats, AT4-exclusive leather appointed seats, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled front seats, and heated outboard second row seats. 
      The 4th generation of GM's magnetic ride control is available in certain trims. Also available is an electronic limited slip differential. When in 4WD low, the eLSD operates at full lock to prevent wheelslip. 
      The Yukon will offer three engine choices. An all-new version of the 6.2-liter V8 that produces 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque is a buy-up option. Standard is the venerable 5.3-liter, updated with new stop/start technology and dynamic fuel management which can allow the vehicle to run on as few a two cylinders.  Additionally, a 3.0 liter inline 6-cylinder turbo diesel joins the Yukon for the first time.  No matter which engine is selected, the transmission is a 10-speed automatic activated through GMC's new Electronic Precision Shift push-button selector. 
      Like the recently revealed 2021 Chevrolet Suburban and Tahoe, the Yukon gains 4.9-inches in wheelbase and that leads to a big increase in interior room.
        2020 Yukon   2021 Yukon Change Wheelbase (inches)
      +4.9
      Overall Length (inches)
      +6.1
      Legroom – Third Row
      +10.1
      +10.2
      Maximum Cargo Room
      (cubic feet)
      +28.2

2020 Yukon XL 2021 Yukon XL Change Wheelbase (inches)
      +4.1
      Overall Length (inches)
      +0.9
      Legroom – Third Row (inches)
      +2.2
      +1.8
      Maximum Cargo Room
      (cubic feet)
      +23

The 2021 Yukon and Yukon XL go on sale later this year with pricing to be released closer to on sale date. 

• By Drew Dowdell
      GMC had a hit on their hand when they introduced the GMC Canyon for the 2015 model year, but they've not done a lot to refresh the truck visually since then. Six years is a long time for a truck to go without a refresh, but in 2021 the Canyon will get one.
      In addition to the visual refresh, the Canyon is getting a new AT4 trim line like that of its big brother the Sierra.  The AT4 designation brings new 31-inch Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac tires on 17-inch aluminum wheels, an off-road tuned suspension with advanced hill descent control system, four-wheel drive standard along with a G80 rear automatic locking differential, and a transfer case skid plate.  Visually, the grille is larger and there are now red recovery hooks. The seats have Kalahari stitching in AT4 headrest embroidery.
      The Denali is also getting some upgrades. The grille has been updated with a more sculpted and layered pattern. Chrome assist steps are standard along with a swath of other chrome accents. It is equipped with 20-inch diamond cut wheels and the look has been updated to match the Sierra. Inside there is now open-pore ash wood trim, aluminum trim, unique stitching, and a new cocoa/dark atmosphere color theme.  Heated/Cooled seats and a heated steering wheel are standard.
      Both trims come standard with the 308 horsepower 3.6-liter V6 or the 2.8-liter diesel with 369 lb-ft of torque.
      The 2021 Canyon will go on sale later this year.

View full article
  • Recent Status Updates

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook