Jump to content
ocnblu

It Ain't Easy...

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I put on both my SS and Escalade the LTX tires and they handle the dry, wet and snow really well. Course both are also awd.

Michellin LTX have been awesome dry, wet and snow starting and stopping.

That's what I have on my wife's car Premier LTX, good tire but winter traction is just ok, not great.

Edited by ykX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ykX said:

That's what I have on my wife's car Premier LTX, good tire but winter traction is just ok, not great.

Is your snow lite and fluffy or wet and heavy? We have wet and heavy snow here in the PNW and I have not had any problem at all in lite snowfall or thick, it just goes through it with traction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, dfelt said:

Is your snow lite and fluffy or wet and heavy? We have wet and heavy snow here in the PNW and I have not had any problem at all in lite snowfall or thick, it just goes through it with traction.

I live in NJ, most of the time it is either wet and heavy or icy around here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ykX said:

I live in NJ, most of the time it is either wet and heavy or icy around here.

Weird, but interesting how a tire can behave on different auto's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, dfelt said:

Weird, but interesting how a tire can behave on different auto's.

I think I know why we have different experiences with the tires.  My colleague just got Michelin LTX truck tire for his Tundra, it is a truck tire and it looks nobby, looks like tire that will do well in the winter.  The tire I got for wife's MDX is Premier LTX crossover tire and the thread is pretty shallow.  It handles beautifully on dry and wet and but not so great in the snow or ice.  It also pretty quiet.  From my experience it is hard to beat a dedicated winter tire really, if you look at Tire Rack testing results even the best all-season tires are not nearly as good as average winter tires for snow and ice traction.

Edited by ykX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think I know why we have different experiences with the tires.  My colleague just got Michelin LTX truck tire for his Tundra, it is a truck tire and it looks nobby, looks like tire that will do well in the winter.  The tire I got for wife's MDX is Premier LTX crossover tire and the thread is pretty shallow.  It handles beautifully on dry and wet and but not so great in the snow or ice.  It also pretty quiet.  From my experience it is hard to beat a dedicated winter tire really, if you look at Tire Rack testing results even the best all-season tires are not nearly as good as average winter tires for snow and ice traction.

Agree with that on the dedicated winter tire. I do think the auto, sensors on that auto and driving characteristics play a part in how an auto handles in various types of driving.

Just looked at my tires again and they are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S rated. That would explain the difference. Not the Premier. They are the quietest tire I have had on the Escalade for dry and rain driving. Stable and just solid. Snow gets eatin up as well when I go up the pass for Skiing.

20181102_051955.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ykX said:

I think I know why we have different experiences with the tires.  My colleague just got Michelin LTX truck tire for his Tundra, it is a truck tire and it looks nobby, looks like tire that will do well in the winter.  The tire I got for wife's MDX is Premier LTX crossover tire and the thread is pretty shallow.  It handles beautifully on dry and wet and but not so great in the snow or ice.  It also pretty quiet.  From my experience it is hard to beat a dedicated winter tire really, if you look at Tire Rack testing results even the best all-season tires are not nearly as good as average winter tires for snow and ice traction.

To the best of my knowledge, knobby tires aren't really that good in snow. They're designed for off-road traction(mud, dirt, climbing) and not snow traction, which is very different. 

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

To the best of my knowledge, knobby tires aren't really that good in snow. They're designed for off-road traction(mud, dirt, climbing) and not snow traction, which is very different. 

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

As far as I know the winter tires get good snow and ice traction using two functions: rubber that doesn't become hard with cold temperatures and deeper groves where snow gets packed since snow on snow creates the best traction and deeper groves allow better penetration of tire into the snow (good analogy is look at the winter boots sole and you summer sneakers).  The Michelin all-terrain he got is not super nobby but more than a regular road tire.  On Tire rack seems people have positive reviews on snow traction of these.

Michelin LTX A/T 

image.png.1ae6f30ba066855910c0d168e1f9c3c5.png

Even Blizzaks recommended for crossovers or car have deep groves

image.png.de2a3d9d7242f35a7adbcf7772482dc6.png

Edited by ykX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It actually isn't the deep grooves that give traction but the temperature thing is accurate.

Here's a short video that gives a little idea of how a winter tire can get better bite or grip on snow. In short, added sipes and flexibility. 

You can skip ahead to about 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMwF5WR-us

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

To the best of my knowledge, knobby tires aren't really that good in snow. They're designed for off-road traction(mud, dirt, climbing) and not snow traction, which is very different. 

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

I can't watch the video you posted but quote from this article:

"The upshot is that mud tires traditionally don’t do well on snow and winter road conditions. A winter tire, all-season tire or all-terrain tire is almost always a better choice for winter condition"

And that LTX is all-terrain tire, or in case of dfelt Defenders they are rated for mud and snow.  My wife's car Premier tires are all-seasons.

The sipes you mentioned are basically same as grooves but designed not to distort the tire profile.

"Sipes are used in place of smaller, individual tread blocks for several reasons. While smaller, individual tread blocks would increase traction, they would increase the risk of tread block distortion, which would reduce fuel efficiency, handling performance, and tread life. Sipes are a more effective feature for increasing traction and surface area without negatively affecting fuel efficiency, handling performance, or tread life."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

you haven't found something that you'd rather have.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

 

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

you haven't found something that you'd rather have.

I am positive He has found other auto's he would love to own, but as he has stated in other threads, price is not gonna happen.  Crazy Price Inflation on auto's is just out of control along with some OEMs offering terrible feature packaging like GM. :( 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

Excellent...I really like the Jeep lineup and am ecstatic that you have had a positive experience. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×