ocnblu

It Ain't Easy...

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I put on both my SS and Escalade the LTX tires and they handle the dry, wet and snow really well. Course both are also awd.

Michellin LTX have been awesome dry, wet and snow starting and stopping.

That's what I have on my wife's car Premier LTX, good tire but winter traction is just ok, not great.

Edited by ykX

2 hours ago, ykX said:

That's what I have on my wife's car Premier LTX, good tire but winter traction is just ok, not great.

Is your snow lite and fluffy or wet and heavy? We have wet and heavy snow here in the PNW and I have not had any problem at all in lite snowfall or thick, it just goes through it with traction.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:21 PM, dfelt said:

Is your snow lite and fluffy or wet and heavy? We have wet and heavy snow here in the PNW and I have not had any problem at all in lite snowfall or thick, it just goes through it with traction.

I live in NJ, most of the time it is either wet and heavy or icy around here.

2 hours ago, ykX said:

I live in NJ, most of the time it is either wet and heavy or icy around here.

Weird, but interesting how a tire can behave on different auto's.

On 10/22/2018 at 10:33 AM, dfelt said:

Weird, but interesting how a tire can behave on different auto's.

I think I know why we have different experiences with the tires.  My colleague just got Michelin LTX truck tire for his Tundra, it is a truck tire and it looks nobby, looks like tire that will do well in the winter.  The tire I got for wife's MDX is Premier LTX crossover tire and the thread is pretty shallow.  It handles beautifully on dry and wet and but not so great in the snow or ice.  It also pretty quiet.  From my experience it is hard to beat a dedicated winter tire really, if you look at Tire Rack testing results even the best all-season tires are not nearly as good as average winter tires for snow and ice traction.

Edited by ykX

22 minutes ago, ykX said:

I think I know why we have different experiences with the tires.  My colleague just got Michelin LTX truck tire for his Tundra, it is a truck tire and it looks nobby, looks like tire that will do well in the winter.  The tire I got for wife's MDX is Premier LTX crossover tire and the thread is pretty shallow.  It handles beautifully on dry and wet and but not so great in the snow or ice.  It also pretty quiet.  From my experience it is hard to beat a dedicated winter tire really, if you look at Tire Rack testing results even the best all-season tires are not nearly as good as average winter tires for snow and ice traction.

Agree with that on the dedicated winter tire. I do think the auto, sensors on that auto and driving characteristics play a part in how an auto handles in various types of driving.

Just looked at my tires again and they are the Michelin Defender LTX M/S rated. That would explain the difference. Not the Premier. They are the quietest tire I have had on the Escalade for dry and rain driving. Stable and just solid. Snow gets eatin up as well when I go up the pass for Skiing.

20181102_051955.jpg

1 hour ago, ykX said:

To the best of my knowledge, knobby tires aren't really that good in snow. They're designed for off-road traction(mud, dirt, climbing) and not snow traction, which is very different. 

https://simpletire.com/blog/view/how-do-mud-tires-perform-in-snow

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

To the best of my knowledge, knobby tires aren't really that good in snow. They're designed for off-road traction(mud, dirt, climbing) and not snow traction, which is very different. 

As far as I know the winter tires get good snow and ice traction using two functions: rubber that doesn't become hard with cold temperatures and deeper groves where snow gets packed since snow on snow creates the best traction and deeper groves allow better penetration of tire into the snow (good analogy is look at the winter boots sole and you summer sneakers).  The Michelin all-terrain he got is not super nobby but more than a regular road tire.  On Tire rack seems people have positive reviews on snow traction of these.

Michelin LTX A/T 

image.png.1ae6f30ba066855910c0d168e1f9c3c5.png

Even Blizzaks recommended for crossovers or car have deep groves

image.png.de2a3d9d7242f35a7adbcf7772482dc6.png

Edited by ykX

It actually isn't the deep grooves that give traction but the temperature thing is accurate.

Here's a short video that gives a little idea of how a winter tire can get better bite or grip on snow. In short, added sipes and flexibility. 

You can skip ahead to about 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLMwF5WR-us

2 hours ago, ccap41 said:

I can't watch the video you posted but quote from this article:

"The upshot is that mud tires traditionally don’t do well on snow and winter road conditions. A winter tire, all-season tire or all-terrain tire is almost always a better choice for winter condition"

And that LTX is all-terrain tire, or in case of dfelt Defenders they are rated for mud and snow.  My wife's car Premier tires are all-seasons.

The sipes you mentioned are basically same as grooves but designed not to distort the tire profile.

"Sipes are used in place of smaller, individual tread blocks for several reasons. While smaller, individual tread blocks would increase traction, they would increase the risk of tread block distortion, which would reduce fuel efficiency, handling performance, and tread life. Sipes are a more effective feature for increasing traction and surface area without negatively affecting fuel efficiency, handling performance, or tread life."

4 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

you haven't found something that you'd rather have.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

The "imaginary list of reasons" to get rid of my Jeep so soon, which has been an impelling force in the past with my rate of vehicle turnover, just has not manifested itself in any sort of clear and focused way.  Still rather content with it.  34k miles and counting on my FIAT-Chrysler product, and no problems to report.

2 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

you haven't found something that you'd rather have.

I am positive He has found other auto's he would love to own, but as he has stated in other threads, price is not gonna happen.  Crazy Price Inflation on auto's is just out of control along with some OEMs offering terrible feature packaging like GM. :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Excellent...I really like the Jeep lineup and am ecstatic that you have had a positive experience. 

• Upvote 2

FCA is serving the needs of some customers for basic stuff like nice size interior, good features, and good option packaging.  Some things GM doesn't get these days.

Edited by regfootball
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

FCA is serving the needs of some customers for basic stuff like nice size interior, good features, and good option packaging.  Some things GM doesn't get these days.

Quoted for Truth.

Was braving the quickly dropping temps and high winds to look at an LT Cloth AWD Blazer today.  Black over black, $39k with an option package that has things I would like to have (auto kick liftgate, roof rails, auto start) coupled with a bunch of other stuff that I definitely don't want (blind spot detection, etc.).  The safety nannies are a reality as standard equipment on just about every competitive make except GM (with a price competitive with Blazer's base MSRP) but to get a few useful items, one has to pay a gazillion dollars to get the full-boat package with a GM vehicle.  Not good!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, ocnblu said:

Was braving the quickly dropping temps and high winds to look at an LT Cloth AWD Blazer today.  Black over black, $39k with an option package that has things I would like to have (auto kick liftgate, roof rails, auto start) coupled with a bunch of other stuff that I definitely don't want (blind spot detection, etc.).  The safety nannies are a reality as standard equipment on just about every competitive make except GM (with a price competitive with Blazer's base MSRP) but to get a few useful items, one has to pay a gazillion dollars to get the full-boat package with a GM vehicle.  Not good!

39 Grand would buy a very nicely equipped Grand Cherokee and also something very nice from Ford. Or CPO from any European brand.

GM has lost their effing mind.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

GM has lost their effing mind.

It's like they're building the need for giant rebates into the MSRP... structurally.  How can this be good for resale value?

• Upvote 2

Just now, ocnblu said:

It's like they're building the need for giant rebates into the MSRP... structurally.  How can this be good for resale value?

Its like everyone is doing it.

Went into a Jeep showroom yesterday and big cash on the hood.

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Its like everyone is doing it.

Went into a Jeep showroom yesterday and big cash on the hood.

Just saw a GMC ad during the NFC Championship game, where they were touting 'celebrate the New Year' now with 19% off MSRP.  So is the unstated message is they are overpriced by 19% ?

Edited by Robert Hall
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Lots of big incentives on Acadia right now since the corporate twin / blazer came out. I even got an email from a dealer for a 199 a month lease for an Acadia SLE FWD. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Robert Hall said:

Just saw a GMC ad during the NFC Championship game, where they were touting 'celebrate the New Year' now with 19% off MSRP.  So is the unstated message is they are overpriced by 19% ?

You don't assume every other brand sells at sticker price, do you? Incentives, special cash, bonus cash, etc is the norm.
New '19 Ram in my area is averaging 16% off sticker. S-Class is averaging 7% off sticker (which is actually the same dollar amount- around $7000). EVERYTHING is overpriced.

• Upvote 2

Thinking the Jeep will hang around for a while....  🙂 

I do like them, but one would kill me here in MI...

Happy with my Nox, thinking it might hang around after the lease is up.....

Next up will be replacing the wide’s faithful but rusty cavalier, with something pre owned......

• Upvote 1

One of our painters just leased a 2019 Terrain SLT AWD 2.0T, he got it CHEAP.  Black over black, panoramic roof, etc. etc.