Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Dream car garage-climate controlled trailler....

Working on response to the dream car garage that frisky put up, putting up one of my own.

In this challenge....it is the Climate controlled trailer, Climate controlled trailer edition-10 cars worth!

First list, cars that you would likely find in the shady lanes mobile home park, which is a clean and decent but not  fancy mobile home park outside of Kingsport Tennessee.  Or cars you would find on  a third rate used car lot.

Rules;

#1. No muscle cars, or Camaros or mustangs of any variation.  This includes cars like the 80's Monte Caro SS and clones of those cars-you can't take a mid 80's Buick and build a Grand National clone.  No corvettes either.

#2. There is an "estate auction" clause here for any American car that predates 1990-you can have any American regular production passenger car 1950-1989, any Cadillac or Lincoln 1971-1989, or any truck 1973 up-but you will be getting the car from an "estate auction" in ran when parked but decent shape. You will also be getting the "post" (has a B pillar if a hardtop version was available) 4 door version of the car with the base powertrain in an undesirable color combo.  You can have a 1957 Chevy, but it will be a 6 cylinder 4 door post 150 model in green or brown....

#3. 2 seat imported sports cars are allowed 1979 up, with the exception of FD (3rd gen) RX-7, 4th Gen Toyota Supra, Nissan 350/370Z/GTR/Skyline, NSX/S2000 Honda, and 2006-up Miata (NC and ND Miata).

#4. The plus side...you have and are expected to use if you choose an unlimited modification budget on these 5 rides. Want to build your Cj-7 into a tube frame carbon fiber bodied rock crawler-go ahead.  In the alte 1970's, someone built a Ferrari powered Pontiac Firebird.  While you can't have a Firebird in this DC garage, if you want to build a Ferrari powered 77 grand Prix go for it.

#5-Not everything here needs to be a bottom of the barrel vehicle here-it is entirely reasonable that one would find a clean used Nissan pathfinder, an older F150 Lightening, an older SS454 Chevy half ton, a Trailblazer SS, or a nice older Tacoma or 4 Runner on a used car lot or in a decent trailer park...use your imagination and bring me something creative.

#6. Since the original Batmobile was built on a 1950's ford showcar chassis that was built on a 1950's ford sedan chassis, and since you have an unlimited modification budget, the (original) Batmobile is the one car that could go on both lists....but the one on the first list would be an exact replica...

Edited by A Horse With No Name

Moving on from Climate controlled trailer in a trailer park to the car being stored in a climate controlled trailer, the second list is very simple.

#1. No traditional American Muscle cars or Muscle car clones here, or Corvettes either.

#2. Only two real limitations here...cars on second list must have a fair market value in 2017 dollars of $500,000 (half million dollars) or more. If a car sold for $425,000 ten years ago and you think it would bring half a million today, I am not picky...just half a million in good faith.

Also, you can choose 2 new cars and three vintage cars, or 3 new cars and two vintage cars, but you must stick to the 3-2 or 2-3 ratio. Vintage in this context is 15 years old or older. 

3. Car does not have to have sold or ever been available for sale to be on this list...retired F1 race cars, factory prototypes and one offs,  exotic cars built by individuals for their personal use, literally anything goes here. Cars that had a half million dollars in development cost (such as top land speed record cars) qualify...but cars that had a ton of money spent on them with a relatively low resale do not.  I am thinking of things like NASCAR stock cars on the used market, which usually sell well, well short of half a million dollars but have a ton of development money thrown at them.

4. Cars that were previously destroyed and no longer exist are also fair game if you think they would bring half a million in today's market. A one off Benz that was destroyed in an allied bombing raid in 1944, the Chrysler show cars that sank on the Andrea Doria, race cars wiped out in the 1955 LeMans disaster, a rare Rolls Royce that mysteriously went missing in 1926...all are game here.

Good luck and my responses will be up soon on both DCG threads,,,

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@A Horse With No Name

10 cars on each list??

5 cars on each list.

59 minutes ago, balthazar said:

So. Many. RRUULLEESS.

Actually, a heck of a lot of freedom...second list, two new three old or vice versa...anything goes with a fair market value over half a million....absolutely anything. it doesn't even ahve to ahve sold for half a million....or even still exist for that matter.

First list, no muscle cars, but you have an unlimited modification budget, the freedom to pick any American car in the base edition between 1950 and 1989, any post 73 truck, any post 71 Lincoln or Cadillac. the only thing I am excluding is traditional muscle cars and late model vehicles, really.

The whole point of the first list is to get people away from high dollar cars and new stuff, second list is a total free for all.

And I made the second list with you both in mind, Balthazar and Frisky....Balthazar...every great GM concept car from the 50's and 60's could fit on this list...so many cars from the brass era and pre WW II Classic era.

Frisky...you challenged me to start looking at more exotic and high dollar cars...this thread is a "thank you" for that. Ferrari F-40 or Enzo anyone? Pagani Huayra or Porsche 918?

How many interesting ex F1 cars or other competition vehicles could bring half a million....Craig Breedlove's land speed record car? All kinds of interesting ideas exist....

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

5 cars on each list.

Actually, a heck of a lot of freedom...second list, two new three old or vice versa...anything goes with a fair market value over half a million....absolutely anything. it doesn't even ahve to ahve sold for half a million....or even still exist for that matter.

First list, no muscle cars, but you have an unlimited modification budget, the freedom to pick any American car in the base edition between 1950 and 1989, any post 73 truck, any post 71 Lincoln or Cadillac. the only thing I am excluding is traditional muscle cars and late model vehicles, really.

The whole point of the first list is to get people away from high dollar cars and new stuff, second list is a total free for all.

And I made the second list with you both in mind, Balthazar and Frisky....Balthazar...every great GM concept car from the 50's and 60's could fit on this list...so many cars from the brass era and pre WW II Classic era.

Frisky...you challenged me to start looking at more exotic and high dollar cars...this thread is a "thank you" for that. Ferrari F-40 or Enzo anyone? Pagani Huayra or Porsche 918?

How many interesting ex F1 cars or other competition vehicles could bring half a million....Craig Breedlove's land speed record car? All kinds of interesting ideas exist....

Okay, 2nd question?

For the new cars, can they be non-2017/2018?? Like, would a still new 2015 or 2016 work?

• Agree 1

Absolutely, I will even take 2010 up. the only point of mixing it up was to be able to have guys relate to each others lists and learn from each other.  Some guys like all older stuff, some guys like all newer stuff.

And in the second list anything goes literally....which was my whole point in my examples of show cars, concept cars, race cars, and cars that no longer exist.

If you had the car in your garage and you honestly could get half a million for it, its fair game...and that simple.

'50-89 ~
'57 Pontiac Super Chief sedan, convert into 2-dr hardtop, add Bonneville 347 FI engine
'61 DeSoto 4-dr, convert into 2-dr hardtop, add Chrysler 300-G 413 engine
'56 Packard 400, convert into micro city car w rear mount Packard 374
'83 Eldorado coupe, convert into ETC trim, convert to RWD, add powertrain from current CTS-V
'94 F-150 RC/LB I6- leave alone except for cosmetics

$500K ~
'48 Tucker 48
'56 Olds Golden Rocket
'57 Buick XP-75
'05 Holden Effigy
'17 Cadillac Escala

- - - -

I'm sure I didn't follow one or 12 rules with the above.

Edited by balthazar
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

'50-89 ~
'57 Pontiac Super Chief sedan, convert into 2-dr hardtop, add Bonneville 347 FI engine
'61 DeSoto 4-dr, convert into 2-dr hardtop, add Chrysler 300-G 413 engine
'56 Packard 400, convert into micro city car w rear mount Packard 374
'83 Eldorado coupe, convert into ETC trim, convert to RWD, add powertrain from current CTS-V
'94 F-150 RC/LB I6- leave alone except for cosmetics

$500K ~
'48 Tucker 48
'56 Olds Golden Rocket
'57 Buick XP-75
'05 Holden Effigy
'17 Cadillac Escala

- - - -

I'm sure I didn't follow one or 12 rules with the above.

You followed the spirit of what I was asking completely.  I would really, really like to get more discussion going on 1950's era cars here. We used to have a lot of good ones.

61 was the last year for DeSoto IIRC....Would make a neat car! Always did think the 56 was one of the best years for post war Desoto...love the look of the DeSoto Indy pace car that year.

4 door cars of the era deserve a bit of love IMHO also...

I always did like the 57 Pontiac.  Very clean design IMHO.

Your idea of the 83 Eldorado sleeper I actually find really interesting.  Drew might not like you converting it to RWD though.

Tucker was going to be one of the cars on my high list, but since you chose it, I will choose something else.

17 Escalade probably won't bring half a million, but we will assume you moonlight on the carpentry stuff as a contemporary rap artist, that ought to add about 400K to what someone will be willing to pay for it.

Thanks for your response!  And next time I will drink either more coffee or less coffee in the ayem, whichever it will take to make things more clear.

Think I am going to probably add the F150 lightening in the same body style as the 6 cyl truck you posted up for my list.

My list...

Lower list of cars...trailer park edition...

1950 Mercury 4 door sedan....love the look of that era car.  Polish the chrome, keep the factory Flathead with 3 2v carbs, and the original paint job with lots of patina.

1964 Ford Fairlaine, always did like the look of the thunderbolts, would like to try a sleepr version.  4 door sedan, but with a K motor 289 a la the Mustang hipo cars...a posi...would make an interesting weekend cruiser.

First gen Ford F150 lightning, would make a decent hauler for projects I do, and be kind of a unique vehicle.

90's Lexus LS 400 for a daily, would make a nice long running comfortable commuter.

Would like an older CJ7, solid, nothing fancy, would make an ice vehicle to take camping on the weekend.

High end list tomorrow.

6 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

• 4 door cars of the era deserve a bit of love IMHO also...

• '17 Escalade probably won't bring half a million, but we will assume you moonlight on the carpentry stuff as a contemporary rap artist, that ought to add about 400K to what someone will be willing to pay for it.

• 4-doors : phoowie; you can have them 9 out of 10 times.
• Not Escalade, the Escala ~

17 Escala.jpg

Trailer park

1. 1974 Impala coupe-leave alone except for cosmetics

sentimental value

32186350001_large.jpg

1974-chevrolet-impala-base-coupe-2-door-

2. 1979 Chevrolet Impala coupe- leave alone except for cosmetics

sentimental value

86666.1979.Chevrolet.2-Door.Sedan.jpg

21247329963_7a139e4f6b.jpg

Yeah...I know...you said 4 doors....well, these aint exactly sought after classic 2 door Impalas either like a '58 or '64....and the 1979 I chose had a 305 catalytic converter disaster under the hood!

3. 1965 or 1966 Opel Diplomat- Id swap the engine (these did come with V8s) for GM's 2.0T 4 cylinder and modernize the suspension and brakes and the car needs to be in silver.

Sentimental Value

i056131.jpg

opel-sport-series-1966-9.jpg

4. 1970 Pontiac Catalina sedan

Id leave it as a junker...

Why? Sentimental value. 

I grew up in a neighborhood where a neighbor had one in his front yard. While the car was new then and in good condition, his front yard was a big mess and had another junkyard car laying around. Old tires everywhere....I cant envision what the other car was as I was too young to remember it so it might as well be the Catalina that gets the junked treatment of my memoirs. It will be driveable, but it be dented and the rust would be left alone and clearcoated. Its weird how I remember the  Catalina though!

Pont70CataSedan1.jpg

Pont70CataSedan13.jpg

5. 1990-1992 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo T-Top

As is except for cosmetics

1990nissan300zx082608.jpg

8 hours ago, balthazar said:

• 4-doors : phoowie; you can have them 9 out of 10 times.
• Not Escalade, the Escala ~

17 Escala.jpg

See, I learn something new every time we have one of these threads

Snooty park 

(One way or other....I dont deprive myself from American Muscle!!!)

1. 1962-1964 Facel Vega ii

383 cu.in. and 413 cu.in Chrysler powered on a French body.

a-beautiful-1963-facel-vega-facel-ii-is-

a-beautiful-1963-facel-vega-facel-ii-is-

Facel-II_d1pop.jpg

2. 1963-1974 Iso Grifo

Italian body and American Muscle

327, 427, 454 Corvette powered as well as 351 Cleveland powered some years

maxresdefault.jpg

iso-grifo-02.jpg

Iso-Grifo-4.jpg

2672_p14_l.jpg

3. 1965-1968 Bizzarrini 5300 GT Strada

Italian body and American Muscle

327 Corvette powered.

b968265b19ce7bc13d3a01fc2096b105.jpg

Bizzarrini-5300-GT-Strada-1966-1968-Phot

bizzarrini-gt-5300-america-02.jpg

bizzarrini-5300-gt-07.jpg?itok=volJUKMi

4. 1956-1958 Dual-Ghia 16.4

The idea for Dual-Ghia came from Eugene Casaroll, who formed Dual Motors in Detroit, Michigan to build an exclusive car at a moderate price.

The design was based on four 1954 and 1955 Chrysler concept cars, named the Firearrow II, III, and IV and the Firebomb, which had all been designed by Virgil Exner. The Dual-Ghia car was designed by Chrysler. The design was fairly conservative with single headlamps and slab-sided features, small conservative fins and no styling gimmicks. A four-place convertible was the only offering.

A Dodge frame and drive-train was transported to Italy, where the bodywork and interior was fabricated by the Italian Coachbuilder Ghia. Performance was excellent, due to the cars being powered by the small 315 cu in (5.2 L) Dodge hemispherical-head short-stroke V-8 engine.

LF10_r135_01-146-Dual-Ghia-1963-L6.4-Cou

dual-ghia_l6.4_coupe.jpeg

359.-1963-Dual-Ghia-L6.4-Coupe.jpg?resiz

dual-ghia_l6.4_coupe_1.jpeg

Dual-Ghia_L6-4_Coupe_1962_11.jpg

5. 1999-2003 BMW Z8

4.9 liter BMW V8 from the E39 M5.

This has Italian body language with American hear t and soul from a German point of view. It fits in PERFECTLY with the list I just made!

img_1318.jpg

BMW_Z8_Roadster_12.jpg

2012-Senner-BMW-Z8-21.jpg

942398_41.jpg

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

@oldshurst442- Phenomenal choices!!

Though I don't think Z8's are fetching half a mil these days. At least not yet.

Agreed...peoples contributions to these threads are getting better and better!

My list of the high end half mil cars...

Go big or go home...I like roadsters and two seat convertibles...car #1...Ferrari NART California spyder

http://blog.caranddriver.com/eddies-money-the-family-that-sold-the-27-5-million-ferrari-275-gtb4-nart-spyder/

Some great choices there, @oldshurst442.   I've seen at least one of each of those at Concours and auction events, except for a Dual-Ghia..never seen one, though I have the Corgi die cast.   The Iso Grifo and Bizzarinni are incredible in person.  Another car I like of a similar vein (European body, American engine) is the Jensen Interceptor...love the big glass rear window on those. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Agree 2

There are several Rolls Royce phantoms sued by Montgomery in WW II, one of them is here in Columbus in a very private collection. A member of parliament came to speak to a group here, and the collector who owned the Rolls drove it to  the Columbus airport to pick the gentleman up.

Pic is of one of the cars that stayed in England, any of the cars 9the one in columbus or the two or three in England... will do...

http://www.milweb.net/features/pics/monty4.jpg

The one in Columbus from what I understand still has markings from  its use in WW II.

Third car...

I want the actual car that Mario Andretti drove to win the 1969 Indy Five Hundred...

Image result for 1969 Indy 500

@Frisky Dingo Thanx Frisky!  

True about the Z8. At least not yet is right. I say in another decade and the Z8 will command big bucks.

I LOOOOVE the Z8. I did not want to include the Jensen as I never liked it and I had a hard time deciding whether the Z8 should be on the list because of the value criteria.

I wanted the list to be ENTIRELY made up of European bodies and American Muscle but the 5th choice eluded me. I could have went with a couple of Italian massaged Cadillacs but I really wanted to have a Muscle Car feel and not a luxo cruiser feel in my temperature controlled dream garage . The the Pantera came to mind, but the Pantera is not a $500 000 car either and I do prefer the Z8 over the Pantera.... so the Bimmer won out!

@Cubical-aka-Moltar  Thanx Mr. Cubical!

I bet these  cars are breathtaking in person! I never saw these in person myself. I know about them through various documentaries as far removed from automobilia as one could get....example: documentaries on the lives of pop figures like The Rat Pack....or Elvis...and the story leads up to these peoples' cars....

I never liked the Jensen...nobody is perfect. :rolleyes:

OH...about that Corgi Dual-Ghia model...

What scale is it?

I have 69....yes 69! :yes:

I have 69 scale 1:18 die cast model cars!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Corgi Dual-Ghia I have is 1:43rd.   It's an oldie.. somewhere boxed up in my latest shipping Pod w/ a bunch of other '60s Corgis and Dinkys.  

I had about 100 of these....

I started out with 2, a red 1973 Pontiac Trans Am and a 1969 Chevrolet Camaro. (there goes the # 69 again! :thumbsup:)

(I recently bought a Duesenberg SJ to round off my 1930s luxury)

When we first opened up our restaurant, an employee that we hired gave me and my partner a  'restaurant warming' gift and that is what he gave me...

It all started from there....

I had about 100 of them when I realized, through these very same dream garage threads that @Frisky Dingo started waaaaay back when over at Motor Trend and the participants...that a smaller, more focused and a tad more diverse collection, makes for a nicer, more complete collection.

So I got rid of some redundant doubles I had....some I sold away, some I gave away to others that wanted to start off their own collection.

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Agree 1

This was a very hard for me to come up with. There's a few cars I had to leave off that I really love- 599 GTO, Zonda F, 918, CLK GTR, but in the end, these are the 5 cars I couldn't live without in this realm-

Porsche Carrera GT

Porsche_Carrera_GT_4.jpg

McLaren F1 High Downforce Kit

5960469670_0f178eaa56_b.jpg

Bugatti Chiron-

_black_179.jpg?itok=D1U-rizg

Ferrari F40

8C7.jpg

Lamborghini Miura

lambo_miura_p400_0.jpg

@Frisky Dingo

Yup. These choices would make quite the collection! Its keeping constant with a certain theme, quite breathtaking to look at, and expensive.

Love the Miura. Love the Carrera GT.

The Chiron is just insaaaaane at 1500 horsepower. That is WW2 radial engine fighter plane realm.

The F40 is simply the first to achieve insaaaaane speeds.

The Miura is simply the first to be mid-engined and the first to be dubbed supercar.

The McLaren is the first to be a calculated and precision beast and the Carrrera GT is THE last of this era of analog greatness.

An AWESOME and INSANE collection!

2 hours ago, oldshurst442 said:

@Frisky Dingo

Yup. These choices would make quite the collection! Its keeping constant with a certain theme, quite breathtaking to look at, and expensive.

Love the Miura. Love the Carrera GT.

The Chiron is just insaaaaane at 1500 horsepower. That is WW2 radial engine fighter plane realm.

The F40 is simply the first to achieve insaaaaane speeds.

The Miura is simply the first to be mid-engined and the first to be dubbed supercar.

The McLaren is the first to be a calculated and precision beast and the Carrrera GT is THE last of this era of analog greatness.

An AWESOME and INSANE collection!

Thanks. There was definitely strong reasoning behind all my picks.

The Carrera GT is my favorite car of all time, and definitely the last great analog supercar.

The McLaren F1 is arguably the greatest supercar ever built, and is a must-have for such a collection.

The Chiron is the current pinnacle of automotive engineering, and the fact that it doesn't resort to hybrid tech is great. Plus, it's the modern, streetable selection of my picks.

The F40 is just obscene and raw in the best possible way. There's actually Ferrari's I like more, but for the purposes of this thread, it was it or nothing.

And the Miura is the godfather of them all. The first true supercar, and imo, the most beautiful car ever made.

Another reason for my choices- I have V8, V10, V12, and W16 engines. I have 2 forced induction cars, and 3 N/A ones. I have one topless car. I have one car from the 70's, one from the 80's, one from the 90's one the 2000's and one from today. In my mind, they were all the high water marks of their era; the best of the best.

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Another reason for my choices- I have V8, V10, V12, and W16 engines. I have 2 forced induction cars, and 3 N/A ones. I have one topless car. I have one car from the 70's, one from the 80's, one from the 90's one the 2000's and one from today. In my mind, they were all the high water marks of their era; the best of the best.

Yes. Yes.

Cool connections you made there! (I did not even realize the diversity of the engines you have)

I like!   :thumbsup:

Edited by oldshurst442