William Maley

Honda News: Honda Ponders Whether It Should Do A Odyssey Hybrid

There could be some competition for the Chrysler Pacifica Plug-In Hybrid. Speaking with Wards Auto, Honda's lead r&d engineer Tom Sladek hinted that Odyssey minivan could be getting a hybrid powertrain.

“The electrification initiative is definitely coming, but on which products and which timing is not 100% clear yet,” said Sladek.

“We just released the hybrid (Acura) MDX so that powertrain could be considered in the future, although we can’t comment on particular plans.”

That line gives us some idea that Honda is looking at possibly using this powertrain in other vehicles. Why the Odyssey? The main reason is that both vehicles utilize the same platform - known as 2SL according to Wards.

The MDX Sport Hybrid uses a 3.0L V6 and three electric motors (one in the transmission and two for the rear wheels) to produce a combined output of 321 horsepower. While the MDX emphasizes performance with its hybrid powertrain, the Odyssey will likely focus more on fuel economy. 

Honda has set a goal of having two-thirds of its global sales to be electrified by 2030.

Source: Wards Auto

View full article

Drove the Pacifica Hybrid, it is astonishingly fast for a minivan... or a hybrid.... or a minivan hybrid. 

Drove the MDX hybrid the same day.  While it was good, it didn't leave me with the wow factor that the Pacifica did mostly due to price. 

impressed that you found an actual pacifica hybrid.  they have been sparse hitting the lots.  Its entered my mind as a next vehicle but I think i might lament the loss of sto n go.

so it drove well?

1 hour ago, regfootball said:

impressed that you found an actual pacifica hybrid.  they have been sparse hitting the lots.  Its entered my mind as a next vehicle but I think i might lament the loss of sto n go.

so it drove well?

Being media has its perks... sometimes the manufacturers bring the cars to you.  Yes, it was pretty impressive, but the sticker was rather eye popping too.  I will say that it was probably one of the few minivans I could see driving as a daily without being embarrassed about driving a minivan. 

Interesting, I just hope they do not go so crazy on fuel mileage that they make it a total snooze.

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Being media has its perks... sometimes the manufacturers bring the cars to you.  Yes, it was pretty impressive, but the sticker was rather eye popping too.  I will say that it was probably one of the few minivans I could see driving as a daily without being embarrassed about driving a minivan. 

Yes I've heard the MSRP on them is silly big.

Since I've gotten used to having a van, i really appreciate the space, and others i know who have gotten vans end up becoming repeat van owners.  They get used to the room and space.  I have gotten accustomed to the honesty of a minivan.  Big box on wheels.  The large SUV's when i drive them all seem so contrived, think Lambda, they really are close to a van but do everything they can to not be a van.

They should have a hybrid Odyssey, Pilot, CR-V, MDX, RDX, etc.  Eventually it is all going to go that way and a 4 cylinder with an electric motor can move an Odyssey, especially a turbo 4 hydrid.  None of these car makers are hitting 54.5 mpg with a 3.5 liter V6 as their volume engine.

Since the CRV hybrid was already recently announced in China, with the same motor as the Accord, it shouldn't be too long before it arrives here.

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

Yes I've heard the MSRP on them is silly big.

Since I've gotten used to having a van, i really appreciate the space, and others i know who have gotten vans end up becoming repeat van owners.  They get used to the room and space.  I have gotten accustomed to the honesty of a minivan.  Big box on wheels.  The large SUV's when i drive them all seem so contrived, think Lambda, they really are close to a van but do everything they can to not be a van.

Big difference between a minivan and full size SUV is the comfort. Say what you will but no MiniVan has been able to match the comfort of my Escalade or room especially around the feet and pedals. This is true for me even in the latest MiniVans. They have a long way to go to have truly road trip worth seats and room for the driver. 

Yes they do excel at having cargo room.

4 hours ago, dfelt said:

Big difference between a minivan and full size SUV is the comfort. Say what you will but no MiniVan has been able to match the comfort of my Escalade or room especially around the feet and pedals. This is true for me even in the latest MiniVans. They have a long way to go to have truly road trip worth seats and room for the driver. 

That and towing ability...a fullsize SUV will tow anything reasonable you throw at it...

Friend wants me to go look at a very clean 2004 Suburban that is supposedly in really great shape with low miles for four grand. Methinks I would rather have a pick up truck...but I have always liked the suburban.

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

That and towing ability...a fullsize SUV will tow anything reasonable you throw at it...

Friend wants me to go look at a very clean 2004 Suburban that is supposedly in really great shape with low miles for four grand. Methinks I would rather have a pick up truck...but I have always liked the suburban.

I still own my 1994 suburban, awesome and have no plans to ever get rid of it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I still own my 1994 suburban, awesome and have no plans to ever get rid of it.

...nor should there be!

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...nor should there be!

Right! Talk about cheap to insure and of course no auto payments. Crazy to always have an auto payment, but my brother in law only does 2yr leases. He sees nothing wrong with life long auto payments. <_<

26 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Right! Talk about cheap to insure and of course no auto payments. Crazy to always have an auto payment, but my brother in law only does 2yr leases. He sees nothing wrong with life long auto payments. <_<

I hate car payments with a passion-most of my adult life I had company vehicles of one sort or another, and I usually bought inexpensive used cars and drove them until they dropped.

Ironically, the most expensive car I ever bought was the Jetta TDI....and I got everything I paid for it back from VW after 56,000 plus miles....so it worked out really well.

• Upvote 1

Just saw the test mule......don't see these vans all cut up like this.........

No phone on me either......poop.....

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Just saw the test mule......don't see these vans all cut up like this.........

No phone on me either......poop.....

Interesting...

12 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Interesting...

Yeah, part camo, different colors.....

4 hours ago, daves87rs said:

Yeah, part camo, different colors.....

Hell, camouflage and multiple color body panels is half the vehicles in rural Ohio. Did it have a gun rack, a dead deer or chewing tobacco streaming down the drivers door?

• Upvote 1

On 6/7/2017 at 8:16 AM, dfelt said:

I was sort of thinking compared more to the Highlanders of the world.  There is no match for the Escalades and Yukons of the world.  that is true.

20 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Hell, camouflage and multiple color body panels is half the vehicles in rural Ohio. Did it have a gun rack, a dead deer or chewing tobacco streaming down the drivers door?

Now that would have been cool...

11 hours ago, regfootball said:

I was sort of thinking compared more to the Highlanders of the world.  There is no match for the Escalades and Yukons of the world.  that is true.

Agree!