Jump to content
William Maley

BMW News: BMW's Upcoming Crossover Mania

Recommended Posts

Within the next two years, BMW's crossover lineup will undergo a massive change with two key models undergoing a redesign and two new models joining the family. Australian outlet Motoring has learned some key details about the models in question and possible debuts.

  • X2: Think X1 in a sleeker package. Previewed last year at the Paris Motor Show, the X2 will come with a range of three and four-cylinder engines. Drivetrain choices will include front or all-wheel drive. It is expected to launch sometime early next year.
  • X3: One of BMW's most popular models, the next-generation model is expected to go on sale in Europe sometime later this year with other markets to follow. It will use the CLAR (Cluster Architecture) platform that underpins the 5 and 7-Series. Expect a range of four and six-cylinder engines.
  • X5: The X5 is a big seller in key markets and BMW has reportedly fast-tracked the replacement to go into production beginning in late 2018. It will also use the CLAR platform.
  • X7: BMW's new flagship SUV and challenger to the likes of Mercedes' GLS. It will also use the CLAR platform and feature a range of engines including six, eight, and even a V12 option. A concept version is expected to debut at Frankfurt later this year, with production beginning in late 2018.

Source: Motoring


View full article

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cue the sheep complaining that Cadillac is doomed because it does not offer enough crossovers...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually wonder about the V12 option, if it stays and shows up, this will probably be the last Hurrah for the engine. I would honestly expect I6, V8, and V8TT before along with Hybrid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smart move by BMW, crossovers are what sells.  The V12 Will probably be a last hurrah, but I think it will also force Mercedes to do a Maybach GLS with a V12 also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps a focused look : @ BMW- the X4 and X6 do NOT sell- "no one buys them". The X1 isn't setting the sales chart on fire either @ 2400/mnth... so not seeing where an X2 is going to do much more than split off from the 2 CUVs on either side.
An X7 sales would be absolutely in the toilet- just like the 8-series coupe will be.
BMW needs to clean out its catalog and revamp Mini or shutter it.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The x1 sells  20k+ a month globally, I'd say it is doing pretty well.  If the X7 sells 5k a month globally, a third of what the x5 does, I think they would be good with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Ugh.

And they will continue to make all of their sedans boring reinterpretations of 90's Buicks.

 

At leas the X3 isn't going FWD.

As far as we know, but with the craziness of BMW and the German Unions, who knows what stupid things they will do next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Frisky Dingo said:

Ugh.

And they will continue to make all of their sedans boring reinterpretations of 90's Buicks.

 

At leas the X3 isn't going FWD.

This is a GM forum, please show more respect for 90's Buick models....

30 minutes ago, dfelt said:

As far as we know, but with the craziness of BMW and the German Unions, who knows what stupid things they will do next.

The "Oatmeal" edition...in white only...because adding the color "Brown Sugar" would be too exciting for the brand at this point...

...and for the German car fans here who would not be able to understand differently....both of the above are sarcasm...sort of....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Perhaps a focused look : @ BMW- the X4 and X6 do NOT sell- "no one buys them". The X1 isn't setting the sales chart on fire either @ 2400/mnth... so not seeing where an X2 is going to do much more than split off from the 2 CUVs on either side.
An X7 sales would be absolutely in the toilet- just like the 8-series coupe will be.
BMW needs to clean out its catalog and revamp Mini or shutter it.

I don't think X7 sales will be bad at all.  The X5 is a strong seller for them, and some people will want to upsize it.  And in the market the Infiniti QX80 and Lexus LX570 are not strong, BMW can beat the Navigator with ease, so then it gets down to Escalde and GLS and I think they can steal sales from both.  Plus the X7 will top out pretty high and they can compete with the Range Rover LWB Autobiography.

I think the X7 will outsell the 7-series sedan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

This is a GM forum, please show more respect for 90's Buick models....

The "Oatmeal" edition...in white only...because adding the color "Brown Sugar" would be too exciting for the brand at this point...

...and for the German car fans here who would not be able to understand differently....both of the above are sarcasm...sort of....

:roflmao: I so could say non PC things that would be very Sarcastic and funny and yet I would then be blasted. So I will just crack up laughing at your awesome comments! :roflmao::metal: 

13 hours ago, balthazar said:

Perhaps a focused look : @ BMW- the X4 and X6 do NOT sell- "no one buys them". The X1 isn't setting the sales chart on fire either @ 2400/mnth... so not seeing where an X2 is going to do much more than split off from the 2 CUVs on either side.
An X7 sales would be absolutely in the toilet- just like the 8-series coupe will be.
BMW needs to clean out its catalog and revamp Mini or shutter it.

I see the points you're making but just as SMK is a die hard MB fan and they love their 20yr overpriced Dinosaur of a G Wagon, I believe there are hard core BMW fans that want an equal (X7) product to compete against MB and Cadillac in a high end SUV.

Overall, it will be interesting to see how it competes and how the Magazines rate the X7 to the G Wagon to the Escalade. Especially if Cadillac releases a V-Sport edition or V edition Escalade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dfelt said:

:roflmao: I so could say non PC things that would be very Sarcastic and funny and yet I would then be blasted. So I will just crack up laughing at your awesome comments! :roflmao::metal: 

I see the points you're making but just as SMK is a die hard MB fan and they love their 20yr overpriced Dinosaur of a G Wagon, I believe there are hard core BMW fans that want an equal (X7) product to compete against MB and Cadillac in a high end SUV.

Overall, it will be interesting to see how it competes and how the Magazines rate the X7 to the G Wagon to the Escalade. Especially if Cadillac releases a V-Sport edition or V edition Escalade.

I think a V sport is kind of unlikely, sadly in terms of the Escalade.  Actually, I think the BMW brand name has lost some of its luster, which should make it easier for everyone else. 

Benz will continue to sell well, but it again is a brand that has zero emotional appeal for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I think a V sport is kind of unlikely, sadly in terms of the Escalade.  Actually, I think the BMW brand name has lost some of its luster, which should make it easier for everyone else. 

Benz will continue to sell well, but it again is a brand that has zero emotional appeal for me.

Agree that Benz SUV/CUVs have ZERO emotional appeal also. Even the AMG versions of them are just BLAH!

Escalade all the way especially for me as the Benz has sucky interior of tight space that makes it hard for a big guy like me to enjoy a road trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dfelt said:

Agree that Benz SUV/CUVs have ZERO emotional appeal also. Even the AMG versions of them are just BLAH!

Escalade all the way especially for me as the Benz has sucky interior of tight space that makes it hard for a big guy like me to enjoy a road trip.

....you don't even ahve to be tall to dislike Benz interiors. One honest complaint I ahve about them is they are often slightly counter intuitive, as if they are actually not designed for actual humans.

Given a chance to take a long road trip, I would choose a Civic SI over an E class....and the Civic SI doesn't even have the best interior of small performance cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

....you don't even ahve to be tall to dislike Benz interiors. One honest complaint I ahve about them is they are often slightly counter intuitive, as if they are actually not designed for actual humans.

Given a chance to take a long road trip, I would choose a Civic SI over an E class....and the Civic SI doesn't even have the best interior of small performance cars.

H'mmmmm :scratchchin: Wonder if your thoughts on the Benz interiors might not be what they really want since according to some here , automation will replace any need of us having to actually drive. Robotic intuitive? :o 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dfelt said:

Neanderthal intuitive? :o 

Fixed that for ya...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though crossovers are where the sales are, I rarely see a lot of X5 and X3 on the road.  Other models I have not seen at all.

Did BMW forget that The Ultimate Driving Machine should not include crossovers with questionable dynamics because of the (comparatively) higher center of gravity compared to its 3/5/7 series sedans?  Talk about undercutting your own USP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Even though crossovers are where the sales are, I rarely see a lot of X5 and X3 on the road.  Other models I have not seen at all.

Did BMW forget that The Ultimate Driving Machine should not include crossovers with questionable dynamics because of the (comparatively) higher center of gravity compared to its 3/5/7 series sedans?  Talk about undercutting your own USP.

They have completely forgotten that idea I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, riviera74 said:

Even though crossovers are where the sales are, I rarely see a lot of X5 and X3 on the road.  Other models I have not seen at all.

Did BMW forget that The Ultimate Driving Machine should not include crossovers with questionable dynamics because of the (comparatively) higher center of gravity compared to its 3/5/7 series sedans?  Talk about undercutting your own USP.

They are chasing the market...CUVs and SUVs continue to grow in the market, and fewer and fewer buyers actually care about driving experience.   They are succeeding at delivering premium/luxury CUVs/SUVs targeting the mainstream UMC buyers/leasors like Acura, Cadillac, Merc, Lexus, etc, as the performance sports sedan market that was their core fades away.

Anecdotally,  I saw a lot of X3s and X5s in the Phoenix/Scottsdale area--they seem to be as common as Merc SUVs, Lexus CUVs, and JGCs there...maybe 8 times out of 10 they are black or white. I have seen a number of them around the Cleveland area as well. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, smk4565 said:

I think the X7 will outsell the 7-series sedan.

That's a no-brainer- the 7-series is in a hard tailspin; 524 units moved last month.

But the brand overall is in a long slow decline- down 11% last month, I don;t have much faith they can turn things around. The brand is tired.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, balthazar said:

That's a no-brainer- the 7-series is in a hard tailspin; 524 units moved last month.

But the brand overall is in a long slow decline- down 11% last month, I don;t have much faith they can turn things around. The brand is tired.

It is tired, but it is still the #2 luxury brand in the world.  They need the 8-series to bring some mojo back, and I think the X7 will help because people want crossovers and with a $100,000 crossover, it gives them another status symbol.  If they can get this crossover lineup revamped they'll be fine. They still have a pretty big sedan business compared to most luxury makers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 6-series proved an 8-series won't make a dent and won't make the grade as worthy of production. Can't just change the number on the same formula and expect success. Should have addressed the 6-series- now there's a numeric hole in the lineup and "consumers are going to be confused".

For that matter, when are they going to address the market performance of the 7-series??

BMW overall sales dropped 32K last year, but more telling; their cars dropped 48K in the last 2. I can understand why they're splitting their own buyer pool at the bottom end, but the vehicles the brand is known for --the so-called 'ultimate driver car'-- is quickly going out the window for 'me too' CUVs. Once the brand perception erodes, what makes anyone 'need' to buy a BMW?

Edited by balthazar
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, balthazar said:

The 6-series proved an 8-series won't make a dent and won't make the grade as worthy of production. Can't just change the number on the same formula and expect success. Should have addressed the 6-series- now there's a numeric hole in the lineup and "consumers are going to be confused".

For that matter, when are they going to address the market performance of the 7-series??

BMW overall sales dropped 32K last year, but more telling; their cars dropped 48K in the last 2. I can understand why they're splitting their own buyer pool at the bottom end, but the vehicles the brand is known for --the so-called 'ultimate driver car'-- is quickly going out the window for 'me too' CUVs. Once the brand perception erodes, what makes anyone 'need' to buy a BMW?

In terms of actual product GMC has them beat by a frieght train length or two.  BMW is riding on reputation and legacy.

4 hours ago, balthazar said:

That's a no-brainer- the 7-series is in a hard tailspin; 524 units moved last month.

But the brand overall is in a long slow decline- down 11% last month, I don;t have much faith they can turn things around. The brand is tired.

And showing no signs of being less tired.  I rarely see younger people driving them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Carguy
      Carguy
      Age: 48
  • Similar Content

    • By William Maley
      BMW Group U.S. Reports December 2017 and Year-End Sales.
      BMW Group sales increase 3.7 percent in December. BMW brand sales increase 4.3 percent. MINI brand sales decrease 1.0 percent. BMW Group Electrified Vehicles Sales total 21,208 in 2017. Woodcliff Lake, NJ – January 3, 2018… Sales of BMW brand vehicles increased 4.3 percent in December for a total of 34,253 compared to 32,835 vehicles sold in December 2016. For the full year, BMW brand sales were down 2.4 percent on total sales of 305,685 vehicles compared to 313,174 sold in 2016.
      Notable individual vehicles in December included the BMW 5 Series, the BMW X1 and the BMW X5. Sales of the BMW 5 Series increased 124 percent to 4,743 vehicles. The BMW X5 was up nearly 10 percent to 6,847 vehicles while the BMW X1 was up 6.4 percent to 4,454 vehicles.
      “Momentum has been building throughout 2017 and the December results have put us in a strong position for the New Year,” said Bernhard Kuhnt, President and CEO, BMW of North America. “Our BMW models are attracting entirely new customers to our dealerships, especially the BMW 5 Series, X models, and our electrified vehicles. There’s much more to come in 2018 with the next new model – the BMW X2 - premiering at the Detroit Auto Show in less than two weeks.”
      MINI Brand Sales
      For December, MINI USA reported 4,611 vehicles sold, a decrease of 1.0 percent from the 4,658 sold in the same month a year ago. In 2017 MINI USA reported a total of 47,105 vehicles sold, a decrease of 9.5 percent from the 52,030 vehicles sold in 2016.
      BMW Group Sales
      In total, the BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported December sales of 38,864 vehicles, an increase of 3.7 percent from the 37,493 vehicles sold in the same month a year ago. In 2017 BMW Group reported sales of 352,790, a 3.4 percent decrease compared to 365,204 vehicles sold in 2016.
      BMW Group Electrified Vehicle Sales
      Sales of BMW Group electric and plug-in hybrid electric vehicles increased 31.2 percent in 2017 to 21,208, accounting for 6.0 percent of total BMW Group sales in the U.S. BMW offers six electrified vehicle models in the U.S., including the BMW i3 and BMW i8, as well as the BMW i Performance models: BMW 330e, BMW 530e, BMW 740e and the BMW X5 xDrive 40e. MINI offers the MINI Countryman plug-in-hybrid electric vehicle.

    • By Drew Dowdell
      BMW released the details and pictures of the 2018 BMW X2 back in October, but the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit is where the official world debut will happen. 
      The 2018 BMW X2 (officially named X2 xDrive28i) is a sportier take on the company's existing X1 crossover.  Unlike the X3/X4 and X5/X6 pairs, the X2 does not get a more coupe-like profile, keeping things more upright like a standard crossover.  Ostensibly, this is to keep headroom usable on an already snug vehicle, overall however, the X2 roof is 2.8 inches lower and 3.2 inches shorter than the X1.
      The X2 is powered by an updated version of BMW's 228 horsepower 2.0 liter 4-cylinder. It is capable of 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 - 4,500 rpm. Power is routed to all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic. No manual transmission is being offered at this time.  The all-wheel drive system runs in front-wheel drive mode most of the time. When slip is detected an electronic clutch engages the rear wheels. 
      Along with the X1, the BMW X2 shares a platform with the BMW 1-series sold only in China and 2-series Tourer models (not the coupe) sold in Europe, and the Mini Countryman and Clubman. 
      The 2018 X2 xDrive28i will arrive in dealerships in spring of 2018.  The official unveil is scheduled for 9:35 am on January 15th at Cobo Center, Detroit.
      Click here to follow all 2018 Detroit Auto Show News.
      Click here to follow BMW News.
       
       
       
      View full article
       
    • By Drew Dowdell
      BMW released the details and pictures of the 2018 BMW X2 back in October, but the 2018 North American International Auto Show in Detroit is where the official world debut will happen. 
      The 2018 BMW X2 (officially named X2 xDrive28i) is a sportier take on the company's existing X1 crossover.  Unlike the X3/X4 and X5/X6 pairs, the X2 does not get a more coupe-like profile, keeping things more upright like a standard crossover.  Ostensibly, this is to keep headroom usable on an already snug vehicle, overall however, the X2 roof is 2.8 inches lower and 3.2 inches shorter than the X1.
      The X2 is powered by an updated version of BMW's 228 horsepower 2.0 liter 4-cylinder. It is capable of 258 lb-ft of torque from 1,450 - 4,500 rpm. Power is routed to all four wheels via an 8-speed automatic. No manual transmission is being offered at this time.  The all-wheel drive system runs in front-wheel drive mode most of the time. When slip is detected an electronic clutch engages the rear wheels. 
      Along with the X1, the BMW X2 shares a platform with the BMW 1-series sold only in China and 2-series sold in Europe, and the Mini Countryman and Clubman. 
      The 2018 X2 xDrive28i will arrive in dealerships in spring of 2018.  The official unveil is scheduled for 9:35 am on January 15th at Cobo Center, Detroit.
      Click here to follow all 2018 Detroit Auto Show News.
      Click here to follow BMW News.
       
       
  • My Clubs

  • Who's Online (See full list)

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×