Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

You Guys Are Going To Hate Me...

You really are... especially when I you find out what this thread is going to be about. It's something that's been argued about, questioned, and casually talked about it... many, many times. It has been close to the point where it would be solved, yet after 6 car-sick months... It is again time for me to talk about what to get. Yes, even after I argued that I didn't want advice on what to get when I didn't ask for it. Well, I'm not really asking about it... I just want to talk about it again, and look all the wonderful choices I still have. :lol::D

*looking into my Favorites*

Miata

Focus

Prelude

Cougar

Del Sol

3000GT

3000GT

Eclipse

Eclipse

240SX

Grand Am

SC2

325i

325is

And this doesn't include numerous other ones I'd consider... Integras, Civics, CRXs, 300ZXs, Celicas, Probes, Imprezas, Tiburons, Talons, Stealths, etc. Also, those above are more examples of certain vehicles than anything, although, if I had the money right now, I'd definitely consider buying one of them.

Anyways... it's been awhile since I had a thread like this; I don't count the BMW 318ti one... :P

Prelude or the 240SX. That Prelude looks a lot like mine, but I don't have VTEC. With the 240SX, you have RWD, but with the Prelude, you have a smoother shifter and engine, and more power.

Out of that list I've narrowed it down a bit of what I would suggest...coming from my POV.

Miata

Eclipse GSX

240SX

and the 2 Bimmers...

Now, Miatas are cool cars. Light, spirited, handle very well, and from what I've heard they are a blast to drive...the only thing I have against it would be the styling (a bit too girlish for my taste), and of course the power department is a bit lacking.

The Eclipse looks to be a great car. Personally I would only get one in awd which is why I suggested the 1G GSX, but I for one like the look of the 2G DSM's better. There is a huge aftermarket for them. They take very well to mods, they are fun cars as well, and, of course, the wonderful awd which helps put all that power to the ground. :AH-HA_wink:

On to the 240SX. From what I have heard these are awesome cars, again with a huge aftermarket. They are very well balanced, take very well to mods (or engine swaps or FI or whatever it is that they do to them), handle well, they are just all around great cars especially if you are in to upgrading them. Infact, I have heard they make some of the best project cars.

Now, the two Bimmers...where do I start...As you know, I love Bimmers, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend these two cars. They may very well be clean and whatnot, and in reality, the miles really aren't that bad. The problem is, it's a BMW. They aren't the pinnacle of German reliability. Well, that may be a little harsh...my car isn't cheap to maintain, and there is always something which needs to be replaced (not necessarily needs to be, but should be because of preventative maintenance, which you will find out comes with the ownership of a BMW...it's just the nature of the beast...if you don't perform preventative maintenance, then yes, it is unreliable). I know for a fact the 3er is a lot easier on maintenance and cost of ownership, but it still has it's share of things. The M50 is a good, reliable engine though. The aftermarket is also huge for the e36, but because it is a BMW things are a bit pricier, and as far as performance goes, while you can make them handle fantastic, as far as power, well, don't expect much without having to pay a lot. These engines take well to forced induction, but that's about it. You can get a bit more out of them with chips/software/intake/exhaust, but don't expect major gains. The popular thing to do is an engine swap to the S52 (e36 M3 engine). The e36 is a very fun car though overall.

If you're looking at Bimmers my personal recommendation would be a late model e30 3-series. You can find them in very clean shape for a good price. They handle extremely well and are very fun to drive. I think they are great looking and they make fantastic track cars. They aren't too complex so you won't be running into as many cost of ownership issues with it as you will with an e36. My buddy has one and it has been nothing but a great car for him. The M20 is a great little motor, and I believe the only issue with it is the timing belt which should be replaced every 50k or so. But yea, they are pretty basic cars, when you get right down to it, they are very function over form, yet I think that's what makes them so good looking and makes them such great of a car.

In the world of BMW's it is well known that the E30 is a true definiton of a BMW. Many 3er owners can agree (even if the e36 crowd may not voice it...you'll find they are what give BMW owners the bad rep) that the e30 is truly one of the best 3 series ever. With, in my opinion, the e46 coming in second followed by the e36...the e21 is mixed in there somewhere, with the 2002 being in a league of its own (that's a whole nother discussion). Just look for an e30 M3...those are cars to drool over...if you can find one. They are extremely souhgt after, and they go for a pretty penny. Such badass cars.

So yea, I'd say, if it's your cup of tea, deffinitely look into an e30. I think you'd like it a lot. Otherwise, the 240SX, GSX, and miata seem like good choices, in that order.

Quick question BV...when you were obsessing over that BMW, you said you on;y wanted a RWD car right? Since when is a Tiburon (among other cars in that list) RWD? Also...you had better be wanting the current gen one..cuz if you want the older ones iw ill have to hurt you...cuz they are ugly and a sin against humanity :P

Miata --- why the hell not... you're single

Focus --- bread & butter

Prelude --- I like how the VIN is pop-rivited ot the rubberized dash

Cougar --- They stopped making REAL Cougars in 1997

Del Sol --- GOD NO!?

3000GT --- biggest complaint is that it's a MitshiBitchy... & FWD

3000GT --- see above

Eclipse --- see above

Eclipse --- see above

240SX --- YES!!! THIS IS THE ONE. BUY IT. MIles are low, price is right.

Grand Am --- variety is the spice of life... but this aint a bad car

SC2 --- not much to look at & it's FWD

325i --- nice

325is --- 176K on a BMW...? no thanks

The second one he posted was a 1st gen GSX so it had awd. But yea, from that list, go with the 240SX. It's a no brainer.

Yes that 1st gen. GSX was cool... I'd take it over the 2nd.

They seem to be more durrable too. It's a great car and

can turn in amazing 1/4 times with modification but it's

expensive and still fragile like a Fabrige Egg. They're

always breaking stuff. I knew a guy who had one running

high 11s in the 1/4 mile. He was always bragging about it

calling my Camaro slow... but everytie he got cocky I'd

ask... if your damn Eclipse was soo cool why did you sell it

with a blown-up transmission, actaully it's 4th blown up

trans. My Camaro has never broken anything at the track.

The reason I still wrote "FWD" is because it's Front-wheel

biased AWD which sux for many reasons, one of them being

their inherantly weak transmissions.

There's a cool video of John Shepard's Eagle TSi. in this thread:

Best run to date: 8.7 @ 166 in the 1/4 mile. :blink:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/forums/index...pic=6347&st=120

Miata --- why the hell not... you're single

Focus --- bread & butter

Prelude --- I like how the VIN is pop-rivited ot the rubberized dash

Cougar --- They stopped making REAL Cougars in 1997

Del Sol --- GOD NO!?

3000GT --- biggest complaint is that it's a MitshiBitchy... & FWD

3000GT --- see above

Eclipse --- see above

Eclipse --- see above

240SX --- YES!!! THIS IS THE ONE. BUY IT. MIles are low, price is right.

Grand Am --- variety is the spice of life... but this aint a bad car

SC2 --- not much to look at & it's FWD

325i --- nice

325is --- 176K on a BMW...? no thanks

Sixty8... I wouldn't touch a "real" Cougar. Ugh... and you can't possibly dis a 3000GT unless you're insane. Same with Eclipses. And it's funny that the Grand Am is by far not the best FWD compact on there yet you recommend it over the better ones... :P

Besides, unless $5k magically shows up in the Mailbox tomorrow, these are just a examples, more or less. That and there are more cars that I'd consider than just those, as I explained. That doesn't solve my aching love for my Uncle's Buell... Sure it'd only be for the spring, summer, and fall... but so would a 240SX. With gas prices, I'm highly tempted to get it over a car... And I'd still have my GA if it'll run once it's back together.

Ryan, "my" guy at work, has an Eclipse, and he's always having some kind of troubles with it. Right now the engine's blown. Last time I drove it, it had like NO synchros left, I had to jam it into every gear.

Guest YellowJacket894

Get a Porsche. :AH-HA_wink: :D

I also find it...maybe a little odd when I saw a red BMW 3-Series hatch and a black Miata (with a hardtop installed) on the road today then a few hours later decide to read this thread and see those two cars on your list.

Me personally, I'm not much interested with anything on that list. Maybe one of the Bimmers or the 240SX, but otherwise, most of the cars lack personality...or reliability.

Hell, I'll find something for ya... :AH-HA_wink:

Edited by YellowJacket894

I also find it...maybe a little odd when I saw a red BMW 3-Series hatch and a black Miata (with a hardtop installed) on the road today then a few hours later decide to read this thread and see those two cars on your list.

Nonsense...The 3er bastard child was nowhere in the cars he posted, and if it was, I wouldn't know whether to laugh at him or curse him for even considering it...silly 318ti's...

Me personally, I'm not much interested with anything on that list. Maybe one of the Bimmers or the 240SX, but otherwise, most of the cars lack personality...or reliability.

What's your defintion of personality..? If it hasn't been listed yet, I probably won't consider it. :P

Guest YellowJacket894

I'll admit, I have a soft spot for Impreza coupes.

Anyhow, tell me what you think about something like this.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Vipes, I love those last Impreza coupes, especially the 2.5RS model. I wish Subie still made a coupe. It doesn't have to look like a rocket ship, just a two-door version of the sedan. A really nice sleeper.

I'll admit, I have a soft spot for Impreza coupes.

Anyhow, tell me what you think about something like this.

For one, it's too much. And two, I don't really like the styling... looks too old. And three, I prefer the size of the 3ers. Finally, it's an automatic. Only manuals for me, no exceptions. So... if I found one that was cheap and in perfect condition... and very close to me, I'd consider it, but it's not a favorite or anything compared to any car I've so far listed. There is one about 10 miles from me listed in Autotrader for cheap, but it is an R title, so I don't think I could trust it.

Vipes, I love those last Impreza coupes, especially the 2.5RS model.  I wish Subie still made a coupe.  It doesn't have to look like a rocket ship, just a two-door version of the sedan.  A really nice sleeper.

Yeah... I like notchbacks more than fastbacks, besides the few exceptions where it's too extreme of a notchback (like Fieros). That's another reason why I prefer the 5th gen GA to the G6 coupe. Edited by blackviper8891

how about the only japanese car ive ever considered owing... a 300zx... they are soooo nice... one of the best looking cars of the 90s IMO

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

the top of the line TT is probably out of your reach price-wise but lower models should be within reason

Speaking of notchbacks... you know what's cool? Something like a '92-'93 Mustang LX 5.0 notchback. Dark green with the factory aluminum rims, no spoiler... I just love how small, low and fast they look with the factory dual exhaust showing proudly.

Well... I think I am ready to beg my mom to get a loan for me... Clicky. It looks great, has low mileage, and isn't too far away. I need someone with an Ebay account, though... Either my dad or a uncle, hopefully. But that's if I can possibly get a loan. Unless... *being serious* someone would trust me enough to just... personally loan me $5k, where I'll pay you back, about half once I my 300EX is sold and the rest after I have earned enough through a job. I don't expect anyone to actually do that, but I'd be more than greatful. Anyways, the one good thing about this car is that it comes with two sets of wheels, aftermarket and stock ones. Well, I have roughly 4 days until this auction is over, as long as it doesn't sell locally. While I would rather have a BMW, the idea of a 2 seat, RWD roadster is highly appealing and by the sound of it, would be more reliable than a BMW... Atleast, you guys are hellbent on making that clear to me. :lol:

Heh... first I was Fiero crazy, then I was Honda crazy, then 240SX crazy, then BMW crazy, and now I really really really want this Miata. Damn... I am so freaking weird. :D

I'd rathere have a RWD old Plymouth FireArrow than a newer

Mitsubishi with FWD... even though they both have the Red

diamonds stamped everywhere.

WMJ:

That Olds 88 Wagon Hardtop you posted is just devine!

Nothing like a hardtop wagon form the 50s. :wub:

Now if someone would expost some musical notes on

the quarter panel.... :P

Guest YellowJacket894

Have you considered a classic car? I mean, insurance isn't that much and they only increase in value year after year...

Well... I think I am ready to beg my mom to get a loan for me... Clicky. It looks great, has low mileage, and isn't too far away. I need someone with an Ebay account, though... Either my dad or a uncle, hopefully. But that's if I can possibly get a loan. Unless... *being serious* someone would trust me enough to just... personally loan me $5k, where I'll pay you back, about half once I my 300EX is sold and the rest after I have earned enough through a job. I don't expect anyone to actually do that, but I'd be more than greatful. Anyways, the one good thing about this car is that it comes with two sets of wheels, aftermarket and stock ones. Well, I have roughly 4 days until this auction is over, as long as it doesn't sell locally. While I would rather have a BMW, the idea of a 2 seat, RWD roadster is highly appealing and by the sound of it, would be more reliable than a BMW... Atleast, you guys are hellbent on making that clear to me. :lol:

You mean... no one trusts me? :lol::P

Wow... holy thick B-pillar GM1. :lol:

BV: Just grow some balls, pull the damn trigger already and

buy a Fiero. Sure your parents will be mad for a while but at

least you'll be happy.

Well, as much as I'd love a Fiero, it's just too unrealistic for me right now. An 80's mid engine vehicle with a V6 (4cyl ones aren't worth considering)... Nah, not right now. Between gas prices, repairs, and insurance, there are better choices. And yeah, my parents pay for my insurance. I don't want to lose that luxury quite yet. Anyways, most of these cars will make me happy.

It seems as if you're more concerned about basic transportation right now. In that case, just get the cheapest running car you can get that's in decent condition, like an A-body Cutlass Ciera or Century owned by some 87 year-old. Seriously.

Its better off to get something decent now that will last you awhile than blow your money on a potential maintenance nightmare that looks absolutely fantastic...sitting dead in your yard...like your Grand Am.

I'll pass. There are certain things I'm looking for and there are certain vehicles that fit perfectly. Again, fuel economy, reliability, and fun. I'm not looking for basic transportation. As much as I may want certain vehicles (like a Fiero, or those Bimmers), I have to admit that they'd be a huge risk, both in reliability and fuel economy. Yeah, sometimes I act like I don't care about reliability, but I do. That doesn't mean I want something that's built like a brick. I don't need a Toyota Camry of reliability, just something "good enough" to put my GA to shame. In that department, I am mostly looking at the engine. The Quad4 is an absolute POS, anything is better, but I don't need the best. I just want something that I won't "hate" to drive while giving me what I want. Whatever I get, I plan on keeping it for a while. I'm thinking more than a few years... So... yeah, that idea is out.

How about a Camao? You were complaining about being short in another thread, its been proven that owning a Camaro makes you six inches taller, as well as eight inches longer. Plus you would be able to pull up next to seventy year old women in Civic with tinted windows, slam the gas, do a burnout and take off like a freaking rocket then brag about how you beat a ricer in a race. And if you ever need parts, you can just head to a NASCAR race and steal some off of one of the thousands in the parking lot, just make sure you get what you need off of the least rusty one, which is probably the only one that is all one color.

If you're really worried about gas prices, think seriously about a motorcycle, probably cheaper to buy and definately cheaper on gas.