How do you separate preference from bias?

25 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

...and this is where I am....everything is decent...nothing whatsoever other than the mustang or the f series truck wins out over the competition for me on any kind of a real basis.

My newest daily driver was a 1985 Ford Mustang...we bought it as a late model used car back about 1990 or so...every ford I ahve owned has been eligible for Historical plates for the better part of a decade or better.

My college car from '88-94 was a dark gray '86 Mustang LX notchback, 4cyl..got around NE Ohio fine in the winter (my '87 GT stayed in the barn during the winter, same barn it is in now down on the farm).   After the LX was totaled 2 weeks after I moved to Michigan, I then drove an '88 Bronco II 4x4 from '94-00--took all over Mi and Colorado, replaced w/ my '00 JGC...

I do like the looks of the 2nd gen Edge and updated Explorer, haven't driven them though or have any experience with them...

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

4 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My college car from '88-94 was a dark gray '86 Mustang LX notchback, 4cyl..got around NE Ohio fine in the winter (my '87 GT stayed in the barn during the winter, same barn it is in now down on the farm).   After the LX was totaled 2 weeks after I moved to Michigan, I then drove an '88 Bronco II 4x4 from '94-00--took all over Mi and Colorado, replaced w/ my '00 JGC...

I do like the looks of the 2nd gen Edge and updated Explorer, haven't driven them though or have any experience with them...

See I do like the Fox body Mustangs in particular and mustangs in general. Saw a nice Fox body Mustang convertible out cruising when i was out with my wife last night...

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

See I do like the Fox body Mustangs in particular and mustangs in general. Saw a nice Fox body Mustang convertible out cruising when i was out with my wife last night...

The Foxes are the generation of Mustangs I grew up with and have driven the most...still my favorites.  Though of the oldies I do love the '69-70, esp. the fastbacks (Sportsroof in Ford lingo).  My sister and I inherited the '69 that my Dad bought new, stored at the farm, hope to drive it some in the future...

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Foxes are the generation of Mustangs I grew up with and have driven the most...still my favorites.  Though of the oldies I do love the '69-70, esp. the fastbacks (Sportsroof in Ford lingo).  My sister and I inherited the '69 that my Dad bought new, stored at the farm, hope to drive it some in the future...

I may ahve to come up and assist you with that, you bought dinner last time, i owe you one...

• Like 1

On 6/18/2017 at 11:06 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

There is an old quote from Gandhi:

I" like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Perhaps it is Ford worshippers that cause such feelings @A Horse With No Name.

This is my view pertaining to Ford. Wingnuts and (Farley) really made me dislike Ford.. which was weird considering has some of my favorite iconic vehicles apart of it. That being said.. I don't like Lincoln for car reasons. The only thing I really can give Ford props for right now is their push and use of Ecoboost. GM really has the same damn engines but won't fuckin use them on a mass scale. 

In truth my love of GM is true and justified in my eyes.. logical in that they actually build the BEST all around cars on the market. Generally they are inexpensive to buy, maintain, and even modify.. yet they have the same or better handling, all around performance and reliability than all other makes. I mean seriously.. what other brand can U buy a car that can go up against a Ferrari 599 and still modify it, work on, or even change the brakes and oil in your garage? They hands down have the best SUVs.. while the P/U thing is debatable vs the F150.. I find their styling at least more desirable. They have the longest lasting, LEGENDARY names in the industry. Cadillac is sold by GM.. nuff said. Sure they have had a few issues with regaining their once Standard level.. but the way I see it is they are moving up.. while every other mainline luxo is literally moving DOWN. 

I hate the Asians because of past experiences.. I also hate them because they are Asian. Sorry.. not racist.. I am part Japanse, White and Black. I hate the Germans too.. same reason.. past experience and they aren't American. HAte is the word I used and I will stick to it. BMW and Benz have some redeeming qualities.. and the Lexus LFA had my envy. .until I went up against one in my old '08 LS3 Corvette and beat the shit out of one. In fact.. altho I won't buy one.. the only foreign cars I would even consider would be the 911 Turbo and Cayman and a few Ferraris

On 6/19/2017 at 0:46 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Challenger... honestly.  Even with the Hemi you'd do decent on fuel economy, but the V6 with the 8-speed runs plenty well enough to satisfy as a daily. Keep it at the legal speed limit, and you'll get some pretty surprising fuel economy too.

I'm not sure how Chrysler managed to make such a heavy car with a V6 run more energetically than the Camaro setup... but they did. 

I have had that thought...I absolutely love that car.  The beetle we just bought should be paid for on a short term basis...and my 16 year old daughter is the last kid in school...she will be a junior this fall.

My wife and I are looking forward to a few decades without children to worry about to travel and enjoy a few cars. Since we are now car pooling into work...a car like the Challenger which would eat up highway miles quite happily would be a dream come true.

2 hours ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

This is my view pertaining to Ford. Wingnuts and (Farley) really made me dislike Ford.. which was weird considering has some of my favorite iconic vehicles apart of it. That being said.. I don't like Lincoln for car reasons. The only thing I really can give Ford props for right now is their push and use of Ecoboost. GM really has the same damn engines but won't fuckin use them on a mass scale. 

In truth my love of GM is true and justified in my eyes.. logical in that they actually build the BEST all around cars on the market. Generally they are inexpensive to buy, maintain, and even modify.. yet they have the same or better handling, all around performance and reliability than all other makes. I mean seriously.. what other brand can U buy a car that can go up against a Ferrari 599 and still modify it, work on, or even change the brakes and oil in your garage? They hands down have the best SUVs.. while the P/U thing is debatable vs the F150.. I find their styling at least more desirable. They have the longest lasting, LEGENDARY names in the industry. Cadillac is sold by GM.. nuff said. Sure they have had a few issues with regaining their once Standard level.. but the way I see it is they are moving up.. while every other mainline luxo is literally moving DOWN. 

I hate the Asians because of past experiences.. I also hate them because they are Asian. Sorry.. not racist.. I am part Japanse, White and Black. I hate the Germans too.. same reason.. past experience and they aren't American. HAte is the word I used and I will stick to it. BMW and Benz have some redeeming qualities.. and the Lexus LFA had my envy. .until I went up against one in my old '08 LS3 Corvette and beat the shit out of one. In fact.. altho I won't buy one.. the only foreign cars I would even consider would be the 911 Turbo and Cayman and a few Ferraris

Fair enough...!

On 6/20/2017 at 2:05 PM, A Horse With No Name said:

See, for me it is all about the driving experience.

image.png

This pic is via Frisky dingo of an R line beetle, the car I just bought is an R line Beetle in this color but it is not my particular car.

This is a sharp combo.  You get the 18s as well?  How is yours optioned up?

8 minutes ago, Stew said:

This is a sharp combo.  You get the 18s as well?  How is yours optioned up?

Yes, I got 18's also...and it is the R line....with the 2.0 from the GTI and nice 4 wheel disc brakes.  Actually think this is going to be one of my favorite cars to own...I do not have the sunroof.

11 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

and as to the reason #1 why I love Camaro over the other two.. can't remember their names.. 

2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE does 7:16.04 Lap Time At Nurburgring.. just published.. putting it at #14 .. and making it the least expensive car in the top 30

It is wildly under appreciated for what it is...

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Yes, I got 18's also...and it is the R line....with the 2.0 from the GTI and nice 4 wheel disc brakes.  Actually think this is going to be one of my favorite cars to own...I do not have the sunroof.

It is wildly under appreciated for what it is...

Basically the same as my 12 Turbo (12 and 13 turbos were renamed R-Line in 14 when the base cars got the 1.8 turbo)  The R-lines did get 10 more HP though the torque stayed the same.  .  I love driving mine and love he room.  Did you get the manual or DSG?

Edited by Stew

Just now, Stew said:

Basically the same as my 12 Turbo (12 and 13 turbos were renamed R-Line in 14 when the base cars got the 1.8 turbo)  The R-lines did get 10 more HP though the torque stayed the same.  .  I love driving mine and love he room. 

Now that my children are growing up, I think me and the Mrs are going to ahve a lot of fun road tripping mine.

I am enjoying our friendship on line by the way...we will (along with Frisky Dingo) have the Sport compact garages here at C and G....

...and yes the room is fantastic...and the visibility...

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Now that my children are growing up, I think me and the Mrs are going to ahve a lot of fun road tripping mine.

I am enjoying our friendship on line by the way...we will (along with Frisky Dingo) have the Sport compact garages here at C and G....

...and yes the room is fantastic...and the visibility...

Very true.  And everybody loves the bug. 

3 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

U mean a Performance GOD?? Yeah... Yeah it is. In truth if Cadillac took the same set up and gave it to the ATS-V.. OOOOH... Boy:wub:

Ohhh hell yes...I am going to loose sleep tonight thinking about that one...!

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Very true.  And everybody loves the bug. 

My wife and daughters adore that one...