Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Mercedez Benz News Mercedes bringing A-Class to US; heads further down market

46 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Metris is pretty sweet.  You can get power heated seats, blind spot monitoring, active lane keep assist, radar cruise control, rain sense wipers, Sat-Nav turbo, 7-speed, alloy wheels for like $33k.

That will buy me a used Hemi Challenger,  a passable used 911, a clean used Cayman, a CPO BMW Z4, a Mustang GT brand new, a Miata with 5 or ten grand in the bank, a Jeep grand Cherokee, a Used CTS-V,  a killer vintage Mustang.....lots of things I would rather own as an enthusiast....

29 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Pacifica doesn't have the 3 pointed star, though.. that alone is worth an extra 10 grand, in terms of operating costs?   (j/k)

Fixed that for ya...

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Metris seems pretty reasonable...get the cargo van version for under 30k, add shag carpeting and a sofa bed, custom paint....

2016-mercedes-benz-metris-cargo-van-inline1-photo-670080-s-original.jpg

Somehow it lacks the early 70's vibe of the van on Scoby Doo though...

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Somehow it lacks the early 70's vibe of the van on Scoby Doo though...

Or that late '70s Dodge Street Van look... doesn't work.  Thought those were cool as a kid.

141.jpg

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Or that late '70s Dodge Street Van look... doesn't work. 

Agreed....and late 70's dodge had the little red wagon truck and the Dodge power wagon and several other cars for someone who was an enthusiast on a budget...something that Benz does not have.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

The Metris is pretty sweet.  You can get power heated seats, blind spot monitoring, active lane keep assist, radar cruise control, rain sense wipers, Sat-Nav turbo, 7-speed, alloy wheels for like $33k.

Seems to be in direct conflict with MB being the Luxury auto company of the world. Guess they better either turn it into another $100K van with luxury or kill it.

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Metris seems pretty reasonable...get the cargo van version for under 30k, add shag carpeting and a sofa bed, custom paint....

2016-mercedes-benz-metris-cargo-van-inline1-photo-670080-s-original.jpg

So many better Vans out of our past compared to this 3 pointed Turd of a Van!

A-Team-GMC-Van.jpg

cool-vans-s-custom-vans.jpg

ford-van-cool-vans.jpg

ford-van-dodge-van.jpg

painted-vans-dodge-van.jpg

fullsize_sport_vans+trans_am_van.jpg

TransAmVan.jpg

Gotta love the 70's and 80's custom van scene. We really need to get people back to building cool auto's! :metal: 

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Seems to be in direct conflict with MB being the Luxury auto company of the world. Guess they better either turn it into another $100K van with luxury or kill it.

Doesn't matter because Mercedes sells more S class than any other premier luxury car...

Ohhh...and love the Mystery machine!

• Haha 1

zxbgl49.jpg

Mercedes van with Patina maybe....something like this VW....?

1949-Mercury-M68-630x394.jpg

Looks much better on proper American iron...

image.png

Although i guess if you were desperate enough you could ahve fun with a Smart car...

image.png

Would honestly rather ahve something fun and unique like this vintage Studebaker than an S class...

image.png

And since Dodge and patina were both brought up earlier...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A Horse With No Name said:

And for reference, it is not a Benz that has the fastest production time at the ring, look at this...McLaren hits 202 where the Camaro was at 168..

The fastest Benz time at the Nurburgring is 7:10 for the AMG GT R.  But I suspect the Project One car will beat the P1, and even the P1 LM which they only made 6 of. 

56 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The Pacifica doesn't have rear wheel drive for racing pedigree.

Just what every Pacifica buyer is looking for...a racing pedigree!

15 minutes ago, balthazar said:

it could be the Rolls of minivans; that's still superseded by 'minivan'.

Absurdity is lost on you, probably because you are a rational person.

25 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's the Mercedes of minivans, though. 

That is not always a good thing...the Hyundai crossover products are actually more athletic looking than the Benz crossovers.

51 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

The fastest Benz time at the Nurburgring is 7:10 for the AMG GT R.  But I suspect the Project One car will beat the P1, and even the P1 LM which they only made 6 of. 

And the cost of the AMG GT R is how much more than the Camaro?

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Jeeeezus Christ.. Are U telling me that @smk4565 is boasting a 6 sec advantage on the ring by a car costing almost $100k more than the ZL1? :mellow:

Would expect anything less? You have to go that high (or be that high) in price to get a Benz to beat a "lowly" Chevy. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, surreal1272 said:

Would expect anything less? You have to go that high (or be that high) in price to get a Benz to beat a "lowly" Chevy. 

How many more Chevrolet Camaros and Mazda Miatas are driven in sanctioned competition every weekend than Benz?

12 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

Jeeeezus Christ.. Are U telling me that @smk4565 is boasting a 6 sec advantage on the ring by a car costing almost $100k more than the ZL1? :mellow:

And is less attractive and less reliable...

23 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Rolls is doing an SUV, so who knows...it could happen. 

And Rolls existence is a problem for Benz...that is the problem in a nutshell...or nut House as it were..

• Agree 1

When I was a twelve year old boy, I bragged to a gas station attendant in Georgia that I was almost a teen...he said I was a taint...taint a child, taint a man....

Mercedes Benz is also a taint....it ain't Lamborghini, Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley, McLaren, Lotus, or the like...a real premium luxury brand...and it ain't a fun funky brand that offers good value for the dollar in something interesting.

It also taint visually interesting like Cadillac or Jaguar. Or Land Rover for that matter...

What it is...a brand very good at existing by manipulation of it's image and manufacturing consent among non car people as to it's perceived value.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Cmicasa the Great said:

The ZL1 has a really good time, anything under 7:30 is really fast, under 7 minutes is insane fast.  It was mentioned that Mercedes doesn't have the record, I just said what their fastest time is.   And they are going to beat the P1, it is as good as done.

@A Horse With No Name  good thing Mercedes isn't Ferrari or McLaren or they'd be losing

1567419d1476753528-formula-1-2016-united

CRDGehPUwAAgrCA.jpg

1 minute ago, smk4565 said:

The ZL1 has a really good time, anything under 7:30 is really fast, under 7 minutes is insane fast.  It was mentioned that Mercedes doesn't have the record, I just said what their fastest time is.   And they are going to beat the P1, it is as good as done.

@A Horse With No Name  good thing Mercedes isn't Ferrari or McLaren or they'd be losing

CRDGehPUwAAgrCA.jpg

I was referring to road going automobiles sold to the general public.

• Agree 2

Also... Ferrari has not won at LeMans since 1965 either...

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

But it probably still has better handling.

I need to drive a Pacifica...I hear lots of good things about it.

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It's a great minivan, but it's still a minivan. Im not making any lofty claims about it's Nurbürgring prowess... Only that it will handle better than a plumber van... RWD or not.

Fair enough!

2 hours ago, smk4565 said:

The Pacifica doesn't have rear wheel drive for racing pedigree.

In other news, Pennsylvania approved the first pot growing and distribution license today. I take it you were waiting in line like it was a new iPhone?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

In other news, Pennsylvania approved the first pot growing and distribution license today. I take it you were waiting in line like it was a new iPhone?

The entire world has lost its mind...as a status conscious person SMK has decided to politely follow suit.

1 hour ago, smk4565 said:

CRDGehPUwAAgrCA.jpg

Yes because all of those are the exact same cars as what's on our roads (please note heavy use of sarcasm). 

• Haha 1