Honda News: More Civic Type R Variants Are Being Considered

Honda has finally given us a taste of the forbidden fruit that is known as the Civic Type R. But the Japanese automaker has plans to introduce new variants of the Type R to broaden the audience and keep sales fresh.

“We’re hoping that by gradually putting out more [variants] that we’ll be able to maintain a more stable sales volume,” Hideki Matsumoto, chief engineer for the Civic model range to Automotive News.

Topping the list of variants is a more hardcore Type R offering up more power. Honda is also considering a toned-down Type R that is “focused more on the grand touring aspect” to help broaden the target market. The most interesting idea on the table is making an all-wheel drive variant of the Type R.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

AWD and Power at a competative price will do them wonders plus some decent style. They really need to throw out the ultra conservative auto style approach and move forward with the 21st century.

41 minutes ago, dfelt said:

AWD and Power at a competative price will do them wonders plus some decent style. They really need to throw out the ultra conservative auto style approach and move forward with the 21st century.

Actually most people I know find the Civic very modern and very attractive. It certainly beats the Frumpy Corolla, the dated and awkward Focus, and the awkward Forte.

I wish them success at this, I actually despite my sarcasm really kind of like the R and the SI.

It's just that from a personal standpoint there are cars in this segment I would rather own personally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frisky Dingo said:

If they toned down the styling a bit, put SH-AWD in, a DCT, and a few more lux features, they'd have a great car.

Then maybe a more stripped model with smaller wheels, etc, etc.

Or God forbid have options and interesting colors so you can get what you want.

VW, Ford, Honda, Subaru, Fiat, Mazda...all are very good at keeping production of sporty small cars restricted to keep profit High.

You can get a nice All track for 30k, they can surely sell a Golf R for less than 40 grand and make a profit.

But the other side of me likes lower production because it keeps resale value up in the used market and keeps cars like this profitable so car makers want to build them.

We're I to get a Type R Civic I think I would want black because it would tone down the excess.

As far as a DCT, it is coming.  Bought the TDI from one local VW dealer and the Beetle from another...both are seeing a much lower take rate for manual transmission vehicles.

They should do a Type R Grand Hatchback SH-AWD and sell if for $59,000.  Because everyone wants them some $59,000 Civics.

Seriously isn't the Civic Type R pushing $40k as it is?  They can barely sell Acuras for over $40k, who wants an entry level Honda at that price.

46 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

They should do a Type R Grand Hatchback SH-AWD and sell if for $59,000.  Because everyone wants them some $59,000 Civics.

Seriously isn't the Civic Type R pushing $40k as it is?  They can barely sell Acuras for over $40k, who wants an entry level Honda at that price.

It is like 33 grand and they are expecting to sell them out.  Also, I would damn sure drive this before I would drive a C class.

Right now, due to limited volume, most dealerships are marking up Civic Type Rs by thousands of dollars -- in some cases, dealers are adding more than $10,000 to the list price. What was once affordable-ish, with its $33,900 MSRP, is slowly becoming another plaything of the well-off, which is a big ol' bummer.

Story on Type R

Crazy but what idiot would spend $44K for this overrated auto. There are far better options out on the market than this.

CNET Story

DealerMarkUpCrazy.jpg

Dealers like this should end up going out of business and loosing all timely access to selling the newest versions of auto's. This is just stupid crazy especially for the moron who actually pays it.

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

I would be fine with a variation that doesn't look like a boy racer Aztek. 

We'll Aztek is the new Standard by which all Auto Companies are trying to match. 

Juke, Scoop, need I say more! :duh:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dfelt said:

Right now, due to limited volume, most dealerships are marking up Civic Type Rs by thousands of dollars -- in some cases, dealers are adding more than $10,000 to the list price. What was once affordable-ish, with its $33,900 MSRP, is slowly becoming another plaything of the well-off, which is a big ol' bummer.

Story on Type R

Crazy but what idiot would spend $44K for this overrated auto. There are far better options out on the market than this.

CNET Story

DealerMarkUpCrazy.jpg

Dealers like this should end up going out of business and loosing all timely access to selling the newest versions of auto's. This is just stupid crazy especially for the moron who actually pays it.

This is quite frankly insane.  Local Ford dealers did the same thing when the two seat T bird was hot in the early 2000's....some of the same cars they wanted a ten thousand dollar markup for they ended up selling at a ten K discount when the market went soft.

Local Ford dealers were asking 15 grand over sticker on the Focus RS when it came out...

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

We'll Aztek is the new Standard by which all Auto Companies are trying to match. 

Juke, Scoop, need I say more! :duh:

Aztec was just Gm trying to be innovative...plenty of BMW crossovers just as freaking ugly that are the darlings of suburban neighborhoods as tasteless consumers.

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I would be fine with a variation that doesn't look like a boy racer Aztek. 

I would be fine paying 25 or 27 k for it as a regular production automobile if I had more choice in terms of color and options.

As it is, it is a very unique specialty vehicle....and one I would still pass up for other choices.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Stew said:

I despise dealer markups.  I like this car more and more.  local dealer has a grey Type R already in their showroom.  I need to check it out.

When ya do, snap a pic of the dealer tag and add it here so we can see if and what the markup is please. :)

16 minutes ago, Stew said:

I despise dealer markups.  I like this car more and more.  local dealer has a grey Type R already in their showroom.  I need to check it out.

Let me know what you think....in a perfect world where I could have a fleet...I think this car would have a part in that fleet...

5 minutes ago, Stew said:

Will do.  i may stop this evening if they aren't closed yet.  

Awesome!

43 minutes ago, Stew said:

I still plan on checking it out if I can, but was talking to a coworker (has a 17 hatch) that has already checked it out and they are asking sticker with no markup and apparently they have already sold one. 

That is really surprising to hear since so much posting is going on of crazy markups.

It's definitely distinctive...as far as hot hatches go, I prefer the more serious styling of the Golf and it's variations.    

As an aside, it would be interesting to see Toyota do something in the hot hatch space again...for conventional powertrains, maybe something based off the Corolla iM....or if they want to be more radical, a performance version of the Prius or the Mirai (now those two are distinctly styled)..

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's definitely distinctive...as far as hot hatches go, I prefer the more serious styling of the Golf and it's variations.    

As an aside, it would be interesting to see Toyota do something in the hot hatch space again...for conventional powertrains, maybe something based off the Corolla iM....or if they want to be more radical, a performance version of the Prius or the Mirai (now those two are distinctly styled)..

There is actual talk in japan of a high performance Prius, believe it or not. Not sure that would ever make it state side....but it would be unusual to say the least.

Agree on the Golf entirely...prefer it over the Focus ST/RS and the Civic by far...

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Does this quote sound familiar? LOL!

Both of us are way too old for the CLA--it's aimed clearly at Millenials

I think both of us are too old for this car as well!!! LOL

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I think both of us are too old for this car as well!!! LOL

We are all three car guys...we need three GMC Savannah vans with wheel chair lifts, and a grey haired woman in a mini skirt with a flash light to start us on the ultimate drag race....first guy to the Cafeteria gets to save a table for the other two for the 4:30 dinner time.

I don't even want to get started with the shuffleboard thing that comes afterwards...

Had to gocheck myself and they indeed have a 15 grand markup......  and it was in the process of being sold.  it looks far better in person than in pictures, at least in grey.  that said, I fell for the black SI sedan that was actually pretty tasteful looking.  And no markups on the SI haha.  When I am ready to trade (probably a year or so from now) I was wantin a Modern Steel coupe, now I am in love with the black sedan. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Stew said:

Had to gocheck myself and they indeed have a 15 grand markup......  and it was in the process of being sold.  it looks far better in person than in pictures, at least in grey.  that said, I fell for the black SI sedan that was actually pretty tasteful looking.  And no markups on the SI haha.  When I am ready to trade (probably a year or so from now) I was wantin a Modern Steel coupe, now I am in love with the black sedan. 

They are both fine looking cars in their own way....but I still prefer the GTI.

But in terms of actual cars, I think I may well end up with a rear wheel drive BRZ or Miata to replace the cooper in a couple of years.

image.pngimage.png

Toyota is thinking about bringing up a hotted up Yaris...my buddy with the Fiesta ST wants to trade the Fiesta for this if it comes...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/geneva-auto-show/news/a32860/the-supercharged-toyota-yaris-grmn-looks-like-an-adorable-hoot/

image.png

1 hour ago, Stew said:

That is certainly different.  I would love to see them expand on the Corolla barnding like they did in the 80s.  you had a FWD hot hatch and a rwd sport coupe along with tons of other versions of the Corolla.  

I would love a modern version of the MRS-Spyder or the MR2.

Guest AsianPersuasian

I wonder what kind of power would come along with all-wheel drive.  Should be awesome.  Focus would finally have some true competition I bet, because I am not seeing enough out there.

1 minute ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

I wonder what kind of power would come along with all-wheel drive.  Should be awesome.  Focus would finally have some true competition I bet, because I am not seeing enough out there.

Golf R AWD? WRX STI?