Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Consumer reports listed the Escalade as one of the ten worst vehicles to buy in a recent article.

What can be done to improve perception of Cadilalc vehicles?

From the article;

It’s easy to become enamored when a car is shiny and new, complete with a new-car smell. But over time that seemingly great choice can look like a bad decision.

Here at Consumer Reports we spend a lot of time helping consumers make the best choices. But the same testing and surveys we use to make those determinations also show us, and you, products to avoid.

To help you keep buyer’s remorse at bay when it comes to car shopping, we’ve assembled a list of the worst picks in 10 popular categories based on the lowest Overall Score. Our Overall Score provides a complete picture of each model, combining road-test score, predicted reliability, owner satisfaction, and safety, including government and insurance industry crash-test results.

While some of these cars have their fans, we’d suggest that these stay off your shopping list. There are literally many better choices in each category. Consider one of our Top Picks, or use our new-car selector to find the models that excel in the areas that matter most to you.

1. Cadillac Escalade -Lowest Rated Luxury SUV

The Escalade lacks the character of a true luxury SUV; it rides too stiffly and doesn't stop or handle with the grace of its peers. Despite casting a massive shadow, the Cadillac is not even that comfortable inside. The second-row seats are too low, and the third row is cramped. The Cue infotainment system is confounding. Reliability ranks worst in class. We consider a well-trimmed Chevrolet Suburban or GMC Yukon XL to be a smarter buy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:o That is just stupid as I have not had any of that with my Escalade. Some real Biased Idiots work at Consumer Reports. I stopped using them back in the 90's. Sadly too many Lemmings are still wanting to be told what to buy, what to eat, what to drink and buy into this BS. Sad. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad...but the question is asked in a hopeful and positive tone, not to bash Consumer Reports...what should Cadillac do to improve its public perception?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Sad...but the question is asked in a hopeful and positive tone, not to bash Consumer Reports...what should Cadillac do to improve its public perception?

I understand and have thought on this. 

1) Seats do need a major change. My 2006 Escalade is far more comfortable than the current 2017 Escalade. Not sure why Cadillac seems to think that flat seats are comfortable seats. They can leave the seat belts on the B pillar for the Suburban and Yukon but I like them built into the seats for Cadillac. This is the only thing I would agree on with CR about.

2006 Seats

2006-cadillac-escalade-esv-platinum-front-seats.jpg

2017 Seats

2017_cadillac_escalade_frontseat.jpg

I think from a luxury stand point, the quality of build is there and they do need to get this message out. Quality built, but they also need to market this in a much better way than their current you tube social media advertising. The lack of seeing Cadillac on the TV, as well as on shows is pathetic. I see more MB and BMW commercials than Cadillac. Right now, Cadillac is not winning by staying silent.

I also think they need to have commercials showing the fun you can have in an Escalade. Road Trips, Skiing, Beach, Boating, etc. The Escalade is more than just a badge of wealth you drive it back and forth to Work and to expensive restaurants. They need to show that the SUV can handle the special night out as well as Life in general in a luxury way.

MARKETING - Pure and SImple, their marketing sucks and needs to be corrected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I understand and have thought on this. 

1) Seats do need a major change. My 2006 Escalade is far more comfortable than the current 2017 Escalade. Not sure why Cadillac seems to think that flat seats are comfortable seats. They can leave the seat belts on the B pillar for the Suburban and Yukon but I like them built into the seats for Cadillac. This is the only thing I would agree on with CR about.

2006 Seats

2006-cadillac-escalade-esv-platinum-front-seats.jpg

2017 Seats

2017_cadillac_escalade_frontseat.jpg

I think from a luxury stand point, the quality of build is there and they do need to get this message out. Quality built, but they also need to market this in a much better way than their current you tube social media advertising. The lack of seeing Cadillac on the TV, as well as on shows is pathetic. I see more MB and BMW commercials than Cadillac. Right now, Cadillac is not winning by staying silent.

I also think they need to have commercials showing the fun you can have in an Escalade. Road Trips, Skiing, Beach, Boating, etc. The Escalade is more than just a badge of wealth you drive it back and forth to Work and to expensive restaurants. They need to show that the SUV can handle the special night out as well as Life in general in a luxury way.

MARKETING - Pure and SImple, their marketing sucks and needs to be corrected.

Marketing and interior comfort are things I hear from people here in the Midwest also...I think Marketing especially....and that goes for all of GM.

How many adverts do you see for say the Cruz diesel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2017 at 0:56 PM, dfelt said:

I understand and have thought on this. 

1) Seats do need a major change. My 2006 Escalade is far more comfortable than the current 2017 Escalade. Not sure why Cadillac seems to think that flat seats are comfortable seats. They can leave the seat belts on the B pillar for the Suburban and Yukon but I like them built into the seats for Cadillac. This is the only thing I would agree on with CR about.

2006 Seats

2006-cadillac-escalade-esv-platinum-front-seats.jpg

2017 Seats

2017_cadillac_escalade_frontseat.jpg

I think from a luxury stand point, the quality of build is there and they do need to get this message out. Quality built, but they also need to market this in a much better way than their current you tube social media advertising. The lack of seeing Cadillac on the TV, as well as on shows is pathetic. I see more MB and BMW commercials than Cadillac. Right now, Cadillac is not winning by staying silent.

I also think they need to have commercials showing the fun you can have in an Escalade. Road Trips, Skiing, Beach, Boating, etc. The Escalade is more than just a badge of wealth you drive it back and forth to Work and to expensive restaurants. They need to show that the SUV can handle the special night out as well as Life in general in a luxury way.

MARKETING - Pure and SImple, their marketing sucks and needs to be corrected.

When you say "flat seats" - what do you mean? Here's a good picture of the current generation's seats... They don't really look flatter to me than the picture you posted of the second generation. Seating comfort is very important to me and that's why I'm curious about this.

I heard people say the same about the third generation Escalade seats. Not that they were necessarily "flat" - but less comfortable. So I was a little surprised to see this being said here, again, about the new generation. If the seats really aren't as comfortable as the second generation, I wonder what's going on. Perhaps people just feel differently about seat comfort. I prefer soft and plush like the Cadillacs in the 90s and early 2000s...

 

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-interior

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sal Collaziano said:

When you say "flat seats" - what do you mean? Here's a good picture of the current generation's seats... They don't really look flatter to me than the picture you posted of the second generation. Seating comfort is very important to me and that's why I'm curious about this.

I heard people say the same about the third generation Escalade seats. Not that they were necessarily "flat" - but less comfortable. So I was a little surprised to see this being said here, again, about the new generation. If the seats really aren't as comfortable as the second generation, I wonder what's going on. Perhaps people just feel differently about seat comfort. I prefer soft and plush like the Cadillacs in the 90s and early 2000s...

 

2015-Cadillac-Escalade-Platinum-interior

Pictures do not do it justice, but the 2nd gen Escalade seats are far more holding of the body and comfy than the newest version and they are much flatter than that picture shows. My wife says our escalade seats are like a quality leather chair and you can sit in it for hours and hours. The 2017 escalade loaner I got were hard and flat like plywood. Not a road trip worthy suv.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember my 2005 was really comfortable as well. I haven't spent enough time in a newer model to really compare but I see what you're saying...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consumer reports has had a thing against big fuel inefficient vehicles for decades. They will always tell you that (Generic import 4-cylinder) is better than (generic bigger domestic V6 or V8).  And if the two are the exact same car under different brands, they will tell you the import branded one is better (See Toyota Matrix vs. Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Prism vs Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Plymouth Laser).

I do consider the second row seats in the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon to be too low, but I find that to be the case in nearly all SUV and Crossovers from every brand. I've never sat in a second row crossover / SUV and said "hey, these are great!"

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Consumer reports has had a thing against big fuel inefficient vehicles for decades. They will always tell you that (Generic import 4-cylinder) is better than (generic bigger domestic V6 or V8).  And if the two are the exact same car under different brands, they will tell you the import branded one is better (See Toyota Matrix vs. Pontiac Vibe, Chevy Prism vs Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Eclipse vs. Plymouth Laser).

I do consider the second row seats in the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon to be too low, but I find that to be the case in nearly all SUV and Crossovers from every brand. I've never sat in a second row crossover / SUV and said "hey, these are great!"

 

Agree on CR bias...completely...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2017 at 7:11 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I do consider the second row seats in the Escalade/Suburban/Yukon to be too low, but I find that to be the case in nearly all SUV and Crossovers from every brand. I've never sat in a second row crossover / SUV and said "hey, these are great!"

Totally agree that a lifted 2nd row would be better, it dawned on me that the SRX 2nd row of seats is theater style in the SRX's. I really like that they were a couple inches taller and slide back n forth for better comfort and room. All SUVs should have the 2nd row theater style seating.

I wish Cadillac had delivered at the NY Auto Show this year. They shocked the world with the bolt and then built it, they should have had an EV auto out before MB or anyone else even the Jag iPace. Should have been showing off what is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CT6 VSport and XT4 weren’t enough? Cadillac is going to sell the shit out of the XT4, and after a week in a 2.0t Terrain Denali, the XT4 is going to rip. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The CT6 VSport and XT4 weren’t enough? Cadillac is going to sell the shit out of the XT4, and after a week in a 2.0t Terrain Denali, the XT4 is going to rip. 

I totally agree with you that they will sell the shit out of the XT4 and the CT6 VSport was cool and move. But this was a chance to also put the Germans on Notice and surprise the rest of the auto world by showing off a Luxury EV Concept.

I think we are all in agreement that Marketing of Cadillac and the rest of GM  has really sucked and GM needs all the positive shocking wake up and take notice announcements. 

Maybe this is the fault of the ex leader of Cadillac being too slow and too focused on mimicking the Germans, but Cadillac should have a plug-in Hybrid and EV concept shown already and be working to have them out by Spring 2019.

Just my feelings on this, I think Cadillac could and should have done much more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Drew Dowdell said:

Cadillac already had an EV and has a Plug in hybrid you can buy today.

Yes true, but my bad I should have stated, EV and Plug-In Hybrid in CUV form. :P Ya know me all about the CUV. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



  • Social Stream

  • Similar Content

    • By Drew Dowdell
      Consumer Reports has rescinded the "Recommended" rating after a high number of survey responses came back with reliability complaints.  Survey respondents have indicated that the electronics in the car have issues such the screen freezing or acting as though it was being touched rapidly in multiple locations.  This issue would cause music to play, volume to increase to maximum, or the navigation map panning and resizing. 
      Some owners reported issues with trim and paint, with a few, including CR themselves, experiencing a large crack in the rear glass. 
      When the Model 3 came out in 2017 it received an initial rating of average based on the fact that it shares so much technology with the then average rated Model S.  Some early adopters reported issues with braking that dropped the score to below average.  Telsa issued an over-the-air update to correct the braking issue and the score returned to average. 
      The Model S's rating has been inconsistant as Telsa has made hardware changes over the years.  CR dropped the "Recommended" rating from the Model S in the fall of 2018 due to issues with the suspension. Tesla made AWD and air suspension standard on the Model S for model year 2017.
      The Model X has always had a below average rating and has never earned a "Recommended" largely due to problems with its falcon-wing doors. 
      Tesla is expected to debut a new crossover this year along with the production version of its Semi-truck.

      View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Consumer Reports has rescinded the "Recommended" rating after a high number of survey responses came back with reliability complaints.  Survey respondents have indicated that the electronics in the car have issues such the screen freezing or acting as though it was being touched rapidly in multiple locations.  This issue would cause music to play, volume to increase to maximum, or the navigation map panning and resizing. 
      Some owners reported issues with trim and paint, with a few, including CR themselves, experiencing a large crack in the rear glass. 
      When the Model 3 came out in 2017 it received an initial rating of average based on the fact that it shares so much technology with the then average rated Model S.  Some early adopters reported issues with braking that dropped the score to below average.  Telsa issued an over-the-air update to correct the braking issue and the score returned to average. 
      The Model S's rating has been inconsistant as Telsa has made hardware changes over the years.  CR dropped the "Recommended" rating from the Model S in the fall of 2018 due to issues with the suspension. Tesla made AWD and air suspension standard on the Model S for model year 2017.
      The Model X has always had a below average rating and has never earned a "Recommended" largely due to problems with its falcon-wing doors. 
      Tesla is expected to debut a new crossover this year along with the production version of its Semi-truck.
    • By William Maley
      Late last week, the first spy shots of the next-generation Cadillac Escalade made their way onto the web. Much like the spy shots of the Chevrolet Suburban that came out back in May, we can't tell much about the exterior due to the heavy camouflage. There are certain details that can be made out such as Escala-like grille and the headlights moving horizontally.
      Like the new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, the Escalade and sister SUV models will utilize the T1XX platform. One of the key changes this platform brings is an independent rear suspension, something we first saw in the Suburban spy shots. The 6.2L V8 with 420 horsepower is expected to continue into the next-generation model, teamed with a new 10-speed automatic. There is also the possibility of the twin-turbo 4.2L V8, detuned to 500 horsepower or so.
      Expect to see the 2020 Escalade sometime next year.
      Source: Car and Driver, Motor Authority

      View full article
    • By William Maley
      Late last week, the first spy shots of the next-generation Cadillac Escalade made their way onto the web. Much like the spy shots of the Chevrolet Suburban that came out back in May, we can't tell much about the exterior due to the heavy camouflage. There are certain details that can be made out such as Escala-like grille and the headlights moving horizontally.
      Like the new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra, the Escalade and sister SUV models will utilize the T1XX platform. One of the key changes this platform brings is an independent rear suspension, something we first saw in the Suburban spy shots. The 6.2L V8 with 420 horsepower is expected to continue into the next-generation model, teamed with a new 10-speed automatic. There is also the possibility of the twin-turbo 4.2L V8, detuned to 500 horsepower or so.
      Expect to see the 2020 Escalade sometime next year.
      Source: Car and Driver, Motor Authority
    • By William Maley
      Back at the New York Auto Show, Cadillac unveiled an all-new twin-turbo 4.2L V8 that produces 550 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque. This engine was destined for upcoming CT6 V-Sport. But with the CT6 lineup destined to go away in the near future, what will happen to the new V8.
      Roadshow has learned from a source that Cadillac will be using this engine in the next-generation Escalade and CTS-V (don't you mean CT5-V?!).
      Let's begin with the next-generation Escalade. The current model uses a 6.2L V8 engine that makes 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. We know that Cadillac was planning to offer a slightly detuned version of the 4.2L V8 on the regular CT6, producing somewhere in the range of 500 horsepower. Whether Cadillac decides to go with this or push power down a bit further remains to be seen.
      Now to the CTS-V, or CT5-V. This is where we begin to question the source. We know that Cadillac will be retiring the CTS and ATS in the next couple of years for the upcoming CT5. Why the source said, "next-generation CTS-V sedan" has us scratching our heads. Maybe the source misspoke or GM is thinking about continuing forward the CTS-V nameplate. We're likely putting too much thought into this.
      Nevertheless, we would expect Cadillac to bump up horsepower to 600 or so to keep up with the likes of the Germans.
      Source: Roadshow

      View full article
  • My Clubs

  • Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook

×
×
  • Create New...