Quick Drive: 2017 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ

Trucks are a big deal in the U.S. Last year alone, 15 percent of the more than 17 million vehicles sold were some sort of truck. Case in point is the Chevrolet Silverado. So far in 2017, Chevrolet has sold 212,425 Silverado trucks. So what is it about the Silverado that makes it one of Chevrolet popular models?

• A key reason might be the large number of configurations on offer. The Silverado offers five bed and cab configurations, eight trims, three engines, and two drivetrain choices. That’s before you start looking at the long list of options. Our test truck is a prime example of what you might find a dealer - an LTZ crew cab with the short bed (5-foot).
  • We’re not kidding on the long options list. Our truck features over $11,000 in options including a 6.2L V8 engine, 20-inch chrome wheels, power-assist steps, heated and ventilated seats; Bose sound system, navigation, max trailering package, and chrome mirrors. 
  • GM updated the exteriors of their half-ton trucks last year with revised front ends. I’m not so keen on the new front end as it doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the truck’s design. At least the chrome grille seen here looks slightly better than the one you get if you order the Z71 package which has a body-colored center and different inner. Otherwise, the Silverado looks much the same as the one we drove back in 2014 with a boxy, muscular shape.
  • The LTZ is the middle ground in the Silverado lineup between blue-collar LT and luxurious High Country trims, and that puts it in a tough spot. You can see this in the interior as GM tries to straddle the middle and ultimately fails. The faux leather upholstery isn’t nice to sit on due to a waxy feel. The trim pieces may look nice at first glance, but look closer and you can easily tell they are plastic. I would be willing to give this a pass, but not when said truck is a hair over $60,000.
  • General Motors does earn some points back when it comes to their half-ton’s interior layout. With large buttons and knobs placed in logical places, GM knows keep keeping it simple earns big points from truck buyers. The same is true for Chevrolet’s Intellilink infotainment system with an easy to navigate menu system, legible graphics, and redundant controls for common controls.
  • As mentioned, our Silverado came with the big 6.2L V8 with 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. It comes hooked up to an eight-speed automatic and four-wheel drive. Two-wheel drive comes standard.
  • The 6.2L V8 engine is the biggest ace up the Silverado’s sleeve. Not only does it provide some impressive towing numbers - 11,700 with the max trailering package, but it also moves this truck like it was something smaller. 0-60 mph is said to take around six seconds which is quite impressive. Plus, it makes the right noises when you step on the accelerator.
  • Fuel economy for the 6.2L V8 is the same as the 5.3L V8 when equipped similarly (eight-speed automatic and 4WD) - 15 City/20 Highway/17 Combined. We saw an average of 16.2 mpg for our short test period in mostly city driving.
  • The only downside to the 6.2L V8? You can only get it on the LTZ and High Country trims. It would be nice if Chevrolet made it optional on lower LT trim.
  • We’ve considered General Motors’ half-tons to run a close second to the Ram 1500 in terms of ride quality. Despite sticking with leaf-springs in the rear, GM somehow tuned the suspension to provide a compliant ride over any surface. It needs to be noted that the Max Trailering package does ride somewhat firmer due to a new suspension package which brings heavy-duty springs and revised shock tuning.
  • We now need to talk about price. As we mentioned, the as-tested price of our Silverado 1500 LTZ tester came in at $60,020 mostly due to the large amount of options equipped. If I were buying an LTZ, I would skip the power assist steps, 20-inch chrome wheels, Siren Red paint, and max trailering package. to help bring the price to around $55,500 or so. It is still an expensive proposition, but it becomes slightly easier to swallow.

Disclaimer: Chevrolet Provided the Silverado, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas

Year: 2017
Make: Chevrolet
Model: Silverado 1500
Trim: LTZ Crew Cab
Engine: 6.2L VVT DI with Active Fuel Management V8
Driveline: Eight-Speed Automatic
Horsepower @ RPM: 420 @ 5600
Torque @ RPM: 460 @ 4100
Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 15/20/17
Curb Weight: 5,299 lbs*
Location of Manufacture: Silao, GJ, Mexico
Base Price: $47,175
As Tested Price: $60,020 (Includes $1,195.00 Destination Charge)

*Curb weight of a base Silverado 4WD crew cab.

Options:
6.2L V8 w/Eight-Speed Automatic - $2,695.00
Power and Articulating Assist Steps - $1,695.00
20-Inch Chrome Wheels - $1,495.00
Enhanced Driver Package - $945.00
Max Trailering Package - $925.00
LTZ Plus Package - $770.00
Heated & Ventilated Front Seats - $650.00
Leather Appointed Buckets with Center Console - $510.00
8-inch MyLink with Navigation - $495.00
Siren Red Tintcoat- $495.00
Spray-On Bedliner - $495.00
Chrome Trailering Mirrors with Power Folding - $295.00
Cargo Box with LED Lighting - $125.00
Moveable Upper Tie Dows - $60.00

View full article

7 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

Wait a minute. $60K and you're not even sitting on real leather? Just no. 

Yeah, that jumped out at me..that's really f'ed up...it is confusing, the list of options says 'leather appointed buckets-$510.00. 

• Agree 1

I will say this. I disagree with Willam about the Front end. I think it looks a million times better with a color matched grill than in chrome. Saw one in black at my shop, and it looked really sharp. The chrome is just too much IMO.

Edited by surreal1272

1 hour ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

It's still hard to wrap my head around the idea of a $60k light-duty pickup...that is a lot of money. 

My neighborhood is as full of them as dandelions in the spring...

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

I will say this. I disagree with Willam about the Front end. I think it looks a million times better with a color matched grill than in chrome. Saw one in black at my shop, and it looked really sharp. The chrome is just too much IMO.

I prefer the color matched as well...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, surreal1272 said:

Totally agree, so over with the crazy chrome everything that the auto companies are doing. Will take Monochromatic any day over chrome.

• Agree 1

Just now, A Horse With No Name said:

My neighborhood is as full of them as dandelions in the spring...

I prefer the color matched as well...

My ex-manager in Arizona just bought a '17 Silverado Midnight Edition..big all black truck...makes no sense in the desert--his previous '10 Silverado was white. 

The color matched trim just doesn't work for me, look cheap compared to chrome to my eyes, but it's good that the automakers give buyers lots of trim choices.

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

My ex-manager in Arizona just bought a '17 Silverado Midnight Edition..big all black truck...makes no sense in the desert--his previous '10 Silverado was white. 

The color matched trim just doesn't work for me, look cheap compared to chrome to my eyes, but it's good that the automakers give buyers lots of trim choices.

When I was working in Atlanta a few years ago my wife and kids came down to visit me...I told them not to wear black or dark colors. Being the "rebellious teenager" phase...a couple of them chose to wear black...

They were miserable.

Common sense is not so common.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

When I was working in Atlanta a few years ago my wife and kids came down to visit me...I told them not to wear black or dark colors. Being the "rebellious teenager" phase...a couple of them chose to wear black...

They were miserable.

Common sense is not so common.

Of course, I'm one to talk since I bought a black Jeep..at least I have the cream interior...and it's not as big of an issue in Ohio than AZ, IMO.

15 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Totally agree, so over with the crazy chrome everything that the auto companies are doing. Will take Monochromatic any day over chrome.

That would be three of us...

9 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Of course, I'm one to talk since I bought a black Jeep..at least I have the cream interior...and it's not as big of an issue in Ohio than AZ, IMO.

But you knew you were probably moving back to the Midwest...

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

But you knew you were probably moving back to the Midwest...

Oh yeah... I never registered it in AZ, got a 90 day temporary tag then registered here in Ohio a couple weeks ago.   My last moving Pod left a couple days ago, I had made the offer on the house in early December, closed in January..this move has been going on for a while... 

Just now, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Oh yeah... I never registered it in AZ, got a 90 day temporary tag then registered here in Ohio a couple weeks ago.   My last moving Pod left a couple days ago, I had made the offer on the house in early December, closed in January..this move has been going on for a while... 

You will like that 4WD system if that lake effect snow hits you....

1 minute ago, A Horse With No Name said:

You will like that 4WD system if that lake effect snow hits you....

I have used the 4WD mud setting a couple weeks ago when I was at the farm...worked well. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

I have used the 4WD mud setting a couple weeks ago when I was at the farm...worked well. 

Once reason I would choose a Jeep product for a SUV...

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

I would agree with you if this was the older front end. I like the body color on that one. This new grille along with GMC just look terrible to me.

13 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

the new grille and headlight treatment is too busy, IMO...I liked the '14-15 front better...

I totally agree, I am not a fan of the nose at all.

24 minutes ago, William Maley said:

I would agree with you if this was the older front end. I like the body color on that one. This new grille along with GMC just look terrible to me.

Guess I'm one of the few who likes the new front end better. Either way, the chrome is just too much and borderline tacky to me. 

Guest AsianPersuasian

GM needs more engine options.  This $2700 upgrade is too miuch and the 5.3L is not quite enough.  Forget the V6, it lacks refinement.

$60K is a lot, and so is the $55.5K when some options are removed.

Personally, I would take Honda pickup instead.

1 hour ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

GM needs more engine options.  This $2700 upgrade is too miuch and the 5.3L is not quite enough.  Forget the V6, it lacks refinement.

$60K is a lot, and so is the $55.5K when some options are removed.

Personally, I would take Honda pickup instead.

As a Ford employee you would buy an F series.

Amazing how one fanboi is as bad as another.

7 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Guess I'm one of the few who likes the new front end better. Either way, the chrome is just too much and borderline tacky to me. 

You did not hear me say this but the F series is quite attractive.

21 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

$2700 is about the same as the upgrade from a Pentastar to a Hemi in a 300. .. but yes that is a bit much for an upgrade.

A low boost 4.3 V6 might make an interesting option, but for most people, the 5.3 is more than plenty.

A 5.3 would be perfect for me.

Love the look of the F series but GM power train reliability would win me over.

8 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

A 5.3 would be perfect for me.

Love the look of the F series but GM power train reliability would win me over.

I'd only go for the Ford with a 5.0 engine, no ecoboost for me.  Luckily they don't have much of an upcharge for it... about half the upcharge as the 6.2 in the GM Twins. Still, the 6.2 and the 8-speed are a fantastic setup. I doubt I'd miss the 2 extra gears the Ford has for now. 

• Agree 1

I do like the 5.0.  Ford V8 powerplants have such a fantastic sound...that truck with the right cat back exhaust...might make me forget all of my animosity towards Ford.

My actual money would still be on a GM truck I think.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:55 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Friend of mine just leased a Sierra Denali with the 6.2.... has me so jealous.  

Would be a wonderful truck to own..

• Agree 1

Guest AsianPersuasian

Assuming no cap reduction, I bet a premium lease like that is over $500 per.  Not to mention higher fuel and insurance costs. Totally cool, if one has the spare income. Most don't.  It's a fun ride, but giving it back sucks and you are left with zilch.  Done it myself, but now just follow the lease deals. It minimizes your selection, but paying half as much, is easier to feel bad about.

1 hour ago, Guest AsianPersuasian said:

Assuming no cap reduction, I bet a premium lease like that is over $500 per.  Not to mention higher fuel and insurance costs. Totally cool, if one has the spare income. Most don't.  It's a fun ride, but giving it back sucks and you are left with zilch.  Done it myself, but now just follow the lease deals. It minimizes your selection, but paying half as much, is easier to feel bad about.

Different strokes for different folks...I prefer to pay cash or pay vehicles off quickly, and then drive them till they die.

I could see leasing a vehicle at some point...but not at this stage of life.

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Different strokes for different folks...I prefer to pay cash or pay vehicles off quickly, and then drive them till they die.

I could see leasing a vehicle at some point...but not at this stage of life.

The only reason we leased the Buick is that we were expecting a life change at the end of the 2 years.  That didn't happen, so we ended up buying it out. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The only reason we leased the Buick is that we were expecting a life change at the end of the 2 years.  That didn't happen, so we ended up buying it out. 

Not a bad route to take. That Buick. worked out infinitely better than the CRV!

11 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Well we still have he CRV, it's primarily a rental property work vehicle now.

I was thinking you gentlemen could almost keep the Buick and buy an F series crew cab with the 5.0 For the other vehicle.

Yeah, I know I said earlier I would take the GM truck...but the Ford F series is also Amazingly nice.

Plus pickup trucks hold resale really well.

3 hours ago, A Horse With No Name said:

I was thinking you gentlemen could almost keep the Buick and buy an F series crew cab with the 5.0 For the other vehicle.

Yeah, I know I said earlier I would take the GM truck...but the Ford F series is also Amazingly nice.

Plus pickup trucks hold resale really well.

It really boils down to whether Ford or GMC can get me the better deal on the configuration I want. GMC has the advantage here based solely on my ability to get supplier pricing.

That said, I'm still pretty stuck on finding a low mileage Avalanche or Escalade EXT because I don't do many miles anymore and I could keep it a long time with just a head unit upgrade.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

It really boils down to whether Ford or GMC can get me the better deal on the configuration I want. GMC has the advantage here based solely on my ability to get supplier pricing.

That said, I'm still pretty stuck on finding a low mileage Avalanche or Escalade EXT because I don't do many miles anymore and I could keep it a long time with just a head unit upgrade.

I did see an absolutely pristine and sweetly detailed Avalanche on 70 Eastbound the other day...was that metallic orange GM used for a couple of years.  Thought of you and Albert.

• Like 1