dfelt

ICE - Hybrid - EVs, Who is doing it right, wrong or what?

ICE - Hybrid - EVs, Who is doing it right, wrong or what?

EuroBrands.jpg

I figure we have our own views of how American and Asian auto companies are doing it. European auto companies have jumped in with big plans for updated ICE, Hybrid and EV's coming out over the next 5-7 years. I would like to open the discussion on the differences and if you feel they are doing it right, wrong, or just what in regards to the rest of the world. Also, as we are seeing with Mercedes Benz announcement, they have Hybrids, but are they really Hybrids or just performance boosting models using electric motors?

So start off with your thoughts on these European models and if any name plates are missing please state the company name and explain why you believe they are doing it right, wrong or just different.

Sound off on the discussion of the European brands!

I will start off this discussion by saying that I have very high expectations of what Daimler is doing for EV's, Hybrids and future ICE auto's. Since the company has committed the loudest to have an EV for each line of auto's and now they have announced Hybrids, I will be following their versions carefully. 

Sadly, I think MB has already stumbled in that they have announced Hybrids for their AMG line that sadly will let people down. The Word Hybrid or EV, people have distinct thoughts on what those auto's do and in regards to Hybrids, people are thinking high MPG. Yet the implementation is a page out of the failed playbook from Honda. Electric boost when wanted, no real electric only range and from what has been written so far, no real mpg benefit either.

If MB is wanting to say, "See, EV/Hybrids are not wanted!" This is a good way to prove it as Honda failed on their boosted Hybrid auto as people did not see any real MPG gains while they did enjoy the boost in performance.

Thinking on this more, I believe VW could Trump Daimler and BMW in hybrids and EV's.

As I posted in the Random thread, I think Porsche will have the SOUL of EV auto's for the German / European brands. I expect Mercedes-benz to be the poster child for ev excess of so many models but soulless and BMW will be just below them along with VW. Audi might get a little soul from Porsche in their EV auto's.

• Social Stream

• Similar Content

• By Drew Dowdell
      Volkswagen of America June 2019 Sales
        June. 19
      June. 18
      Yr/Yr% 
      change
      June. 19 YTD
      June. 18 YTD
      Yr/Yr% 
      change
       Golf
      -10% 
      -12% 
       GTI
      -24% 
      -24% 
       Golf R
      2% 
      -35% 
       e-Golf
      1,044% 
      144% 
       Golf SportWagen
      10% 
      -36% 
       Total Golf Family
      3% 
      -22% 
       Jetta Sedan
      17% 
      49% 
       Jetta SportWagen      
       (now Golf  SportWagen)

N/A 

N/A 
       Total Jetta
      17% 
      48% 
       Beetle Coupe
      -30% 
      -14% 
       Beetle  Convertible
      270% 
      78% 
       Total Beetle
      50% 
      18% 
       Passat
      -79% 
      -49% 
       CC

-84% 
      -87% 
       Arteon
      275  N/A  N/A  598  N/A  N/A   Tiguan Limited
      -92% 
      -97% 
       Tiguan
      19% 
      24% 
       Total Tiguan
      0% 
      3% 
       Touareg
      -88% 
      -91% 
       Atlas
      100% 
      34% 
       Total Car
      -5% 
      1.7% 
       Total SUV
      27% 
      12% 
       TOTAL 
      10% 
      6.8% 
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Audi has unveiled their updated Audi Q7 in Ingolstadt today.  The new Q7 gets a more robust look with an even larger grille than before, but overall retains the same basic shape.  The headlights can be optionally equipped with HD Matrix LED and Audi laser light. 
      Many improvements went into the suspension. Now available as an option is active roll stabilization to reduce the cars tendency to roll into the curve. Adjustable stabilizers reduce body movement on uneven roads.  Customers can also elect the S-Line option that offers a firmer suspension and a 0.6 inch lower ride height. 
      The powertrain at launch in the EU will be a choice of two diesel units, with a gasoline engine and a plug-in hybrid to follow later.  All of the ICE engines get a mild-hybrid setup using a belt-alternator-start (BAS) and 48 volt electrical system.  The BAS can recover up to 8kW of power into the battery. 
      The Q7 can be ordered in either a five or seven seat configuration.  The cockpit is fully digital and includes two large touchscreens for the MMI infotainment system. Adaptive cruise assist is standard and also includes traffic jam assist, active lane assist, and adaptive speed assist. Emergency assist is new to the Q7 and if it detects the drivers is inactive, the system will bring the car to a stop and initiate protective and rescue measures. 
      The 2020 Q7 launches in Europe in September with a US launch to follow later.

View full article
    • By Drew Dowdell
      Audi has unveiled their updated Audi Q7 in Ingolstadt today.  The new Q7 gets a more robust look with an even larger grille than before, but overall retains the same basic shape.  The headlights can be optionally equipped with HD Matrix LED and Audi laser light. 
      Many improvements went into the suspension. Now available as an option is active roll stabilization to reduce the cars tendency to roll into the curve. Adjustable stabilizers reduce body movement on uneven roads.  Customers can also elect the S-Line option that offers a firmer suspension and a 0.6 inch lower ride height. 
      The powertrain at launch in the EU will be a choice of two diesel units, with a gasoline engine and a plug-in hybrid to follow later.  All of the ICE engines get a mild-hybrid setup using a belt-alternator-start (BAS) and 48 volt electrical system.  The BAS can recover up to 8kW of power into the battery. 
      The Q7 can be ordered in either a five or seven seat configuration.  The cockpit is fully digital and includes two large touchscreens for the MMI infotainment system. Adaptive cruise assist is standard and also includes traffic jam assist, active lane assist, and adaptive speed assist. Emergency assist is new to the Q7 and if it detects the drivers is inactive, the system will bring the car to a stop and initiate protective and rescue measures. 
      The 2020 Q7 launches in Europe in September with a US launch to follow later.

• My Clubs

• Reader Rides

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook