NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Retro Review: 1983 Mercury Capri RS

I never understood the purpose of this car. To this day I still dont comprehend the idea behind it.

The Firebird/Trans Am was different because when this model came out alongside the Camaro, the Pontiac had its own engines and suspension calibrations and what not...and besides...all brands had a pony car and a muscle car in that era...Mercury had their Cougar which was a high styled pony car based off of the Mustang which LATER morphed into the personal luxury coupe.

With the 3rd generation F-Body, this is when the Firebird/Trans Am truly become a badge engineered clone Camaro.

My confusion is this:

Was the Capri a successor to the original Cougar? Not enough high style for it to be that in my opinion!

Was the Capri suppose to be a 3rd gen F-body Trans Am equivalent? Stupid  move as a Firebird/Trans Am was just a glorified Camaro to which is EXΑCTLY how I saw the Capri....as a useless glorified Mustang. At least with the Firebird/Trans Am...it had a history of it being a true Pontiac at one time and as a 3rd generation, it was a bonafide TV star too....KITT 2000. Plus it reprised its role as the Bandit in Smokey and the Bandit 3...

Edited by oldshurst442

The original Ford Capri was a fantastic European  sporty coupe in the early 1970's.

Methinks Mercury dealers just wanted a separate product to sell.

7 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

The original Ford Capri was a fantastic European  sporty coupe in the early 1970's.

Methinks Mercury dealers just wanted a separate product to sell.

I saw the FORD Capri in action in Greece many a-times which confused me even more...

Why take a European model name and utilize it in North America on a car that had NOTHING to do with the European model?

I was quite fond of the Euro Capri and often wondered why Ford never brought this model here in North America.

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

I saw the FORD Capri in action in Greece many a-times which confused me even more...

Why take a European model name and utilize it in North America on a car that had NOTHING to do with the European model?

I was quite fond of the Euro Capri and often wondered why Ford never brought this model here in North America.

The Euro Capri was sold in the US as the Mercury Capri...1st gen and 2nd gen versions from around 1972 through 1978.  Don't know if Canada got it or not. 

1 minute ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

The Euro Capri was sold in the US as the Mercury Capri...1st gen and 2nd gen versions from around 1972 through 1978.  Don't know if Canada got it or not. 

WOW! I did not know that!

Quite honestly, I dont know if the Euro Capri was sold in Canada...I never saw one on our roads...but that does not mean it wasnt sold here.

With this tid bit of information....the cloudy skies are clearing up!!! Thank-you.

Just now, oldshurst442 said:

WOW! I did not know that!

Quite honestly, I dont know if the Euro Capri was sold in Canada...I never saw one on our roads...but that does not mean it wasnt sold here.

With this tid bit of information....the cloudy skies are clearing up!!! Thank-you.

Yeah, I haven't seen one in ages...vaguely remember in 1976 as a little kid at the Lincoln-Mercury dealer with my folks when they traded their '73 Marquis on a '76 Continental, there was a black Capri in the showroom...

Here's what a US-spec '76 Capri looked like.

b81234544a6c7fd76b17d78a55d13e77.jpg

• Upvote 1

Im assuming the US spec 1970s Capri did not sell well. That would be an interesting conversation as to why it failed in the market place.

But then again, Mercury did offer a successor....

(I think you could tell Im confused. LOL)

32 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

I guess the friends car I used to drive all of the time in College was a hologram then...

6 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Im assuming the US spec 1970s Capri did not sell well. That would be an interesting conversation as to why it failed in the market place.

I don't think it was a big seller..probably a lot cheaper to do a Mustang-derived model as they did with the '79-86 Fox-based Capri.  

Then the US later had a short-lived Mercury Capri from Australia, which was a FWD Mazda-based 2 seat cabriolet...likely long forgotten..

The Euro Capri had a long run in Europe..the 2nd gen with some tweaks lasted though 1986. 

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

4 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

Probably not heavily marketed...early seventies people still wanted larger cars.

3 minutes ago, A Horse With No Name said:

Probably not heavily marketed...early seventies people still wanted larger cars.

Lincoln-Mercury dealers also had the Pantera in the early 70s..talk about a fish out of water...

4 hours ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Lincoln-Mercury dealers also had the Pantera in the early 70s..talk about a fish out of water...

I would take an aquarium full of fish like that!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We ♥ Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook