Camaro Engine Lineup Speculation...

is there any evidence of a 5.3L replacement?  would it be closer to a 305, or more like an ls1 w/ VVT and AFM?

A 305 would be a 5.0L. I think they are going bigger, maybe 5.5 L. It seems Round metric numbers are the new cubic inches.

A 305 would be a 5.0L.  I think they are going bigger, maybe 5.5 L. It seems Round metric numbers are the new cubic inches.

i was just implying them bringing back a engine size more "traditional" lol

would that mean the altlas engine would be a good base engine? :lol2::lol:

i know we've gone over that dozens of times, the atlas being in there has been a ridiculed idea so much. :lol:

i was just implying them bringing back a engine size more "traditional" lol

would that mean the altlas engine would be a good base engine?  :lol2:  :lol:

i know we've gone over that dozens of times, the atlas being in there has been a ridiculed idea so much.    :lol:

5.7 would be a good size for the V8...has a lot of historical significance both as 5.7 and '350', moreso than the 305, IMHO..

The I-6 from the GMT-360s would be a good base engine, but I suspect they will go with a plain old pushrod V6 for packaging reasons.. :(

But don't forget the LS7 is handbuilt. I really don't think it's suitable for any mass volume production.

Oh I'm not saying a ZL1 Camaro with the LS7 would sell in big #s.

make like 100 of them... or even 69 a year like the 1969s... it'll

pretty much be a colector's item right from the time the

sheetmetal is stamped... but even at $90,000 it would sell. :D

Yes... that's always been the rule.

• 3 weeks later...

Never say never.... all the original ZL1s were made in 1969

Chevy made only two Corvettes but they produced 69

Camaros. They made 50 for the sake of homogulation and

then 19 more were ordered by one of the famous sticker &

emblem COPO dealers. I think it was NICKEY but it might

have been Baldwin-Motion or even Berger. Or then again it

might have even been Yenko. :duh:

In any event... a lot of people *doomsayers* said we Camaro

fans had our heads in the clouds and there would be no

concept.. not ion 2006, or 2007 or probably ever. Those

people woudl tell you an LS7 will never see production in a

Camaro. I hope they like the taste of their own foot. :wink:

Posted Image

absolutely correct...only 69 camaros and 2 vettes....but also remember that Berger kept the ZL-1 name alive in the 4th gen (625 HP vs. the original 585 HP )....I wouldn't be surprised to see Berger do something special again...so there's your low production limited edition high end camaro....and personally, I'd be one of the first go go buy one...ZL-1 has always been NA....never FI...I'd prefer it's kept that way myself...

we will NEVER see to V6 engines. Thats just duplication, plain and simple.

GM has a 3.2L HF that would work. Maybe 240hp. I feel a DI 3.6L HF would be too close to the power of the base V8.

They need a 300+hp V8 in the middle on the way to a 6.2L 400hp+ V8.

Could be 5.3L--330hp would be great.

And screw the S/C--427 please! Only Ford has to S/C engines to get power out of them!

Have we even seen a longitudinal 3.5 or 3.9 yet?

Appartently it's quite hard to switch around an engine that wasn't designed to go both ways.  It took a fairly substantial redesign to put the N* into the new STS and XLR.

umm...Cadillac CTS! It has the 3.6L. No RWD 3.9L yet

umm...Cadillac CTS! It has the 3.6L. No RWD 3.9L yet

I know. I own one. I was refering to the pushrod FWD 3.5 and 3.9. We've not seen a RWD version of these engines at all. The 3.6 was designed <apparently> from the get-go to be either FWD or RWD. It needed no substantial modifications to be used in the LaCross or Rendevous.

does the impala use the same trans as the one when it used the 3.8?... cause the 3.8 was in the camaro, which used the Rwd trans equivilent to the Fwd one, right?

anyway, wouldn't it come down to the bell housing possibilities and engine mount locations. it'll be possible, but we're just making guesses for the v6 and maybe a mid V8.

does the impala use the same trans as the one when it used the 3.8?... cause the 3.8 was in the camaro, which used the Rwd trans equivilent to the Fwd one, right?

anyway, wouldn't it come down to the bell housing possibilities and engine mount locations.  it'll be possible, but we're just making guesses for the v6 and maybe a mid V8.

Same tranny in the 06+Impala and older one but the 3.8 in the Camaro had a completely different block, intake, and heads.

Same tranny in the 06+Impala and older one but the 3.8 in the Camaro had a completely different block, intake, and heads.

...completely?.... yes i kinda understand what you mean... but wouldn't it be more from the engine mounts, intake of course, and heads ( as in it didn't need the coil packs slapped on top of one bank ) ? I'm just curious how much really was different in the block if it was just superficial or there was , as in, needed different oil pump/oil pan ... more than that?

not a "good idea" but if they had an rs V6 or V8, could put a H.O. 3.5L (~+230hp) as the base engine, could use the 3.9L (280hp) OR 3.6L DI as the "performance V6"

...completely?....    yes i kinda understand what you mean... but wouldn't it be more from the engine mounts, intake of course, and heads ( as in it didn't need the coil packs slapped on top of one bank ) ? I'm just curious how much really was different in the block if it was just superficial or there was , as in, needed different oil pump/oil pan ...  more than that?

not a "good idea" but if they had an rs V6 or V8, could put a H.O. 3.5L (~+230hp) as the base engine, could use the 3.9L (280hp) OR 3.6L DI as the "performance V6"

No the block was completely different b/c the tranny bolt pattern is different. As far as the 3.5 being the base model I doubt that. All the other VE/Sigma cars have the HF V6 as their only V6's so I thinkt he Zetas will all use the HF as the base as well. The 3.9 VVT will likely replace the 3.5's across the board within 3 years. I expect the 3.6 DOHC will have 2 different HP outputs.

No the block was completely different b/c the tranny bolt pattern is different.  As far as the 3.5 being the base model I doubt that.  All the other VE/Sigma cars have the HF V6 as their only V6's so I thinkt he Zetas will all use the HF as the base as well.  The 3.9 VVT will likely replace the 3.5's across the board within 3 years.  I expect the 3.6 DOHC will have 2 different HP outputs.

ok, so the bolt patterns dif, would it be hard to change the 3.9L's? not sure how they do that, they drill the bolt pattern, or is it a casting thing?

maybe the 6speed will make a difference in MPG, cause w/ the 4 speed i see a dog of an engine in the 3.9L when it comes to the EP cars, but yes the manual in the g6 isn't bad. the 3.5L seems to do well for the most part from what people say, for power AND mileage. curious why you think "The 3.9 VVT will likely replace the 3.5's across the board within 3 years."? seems to me the 3.9L is losing it's place in applications, which makes me a little sad.

I know. I own one.  I was refering to the pushrod FWD 3.5 and 3.9.  We've not seen a RWD version of these engines at all.  The 3.6 was designed <apparently> from the get-go to be either FWD or RWD. It needed no substantial modifications to be used in the LaCross or Rendevous.

damn my eyesight must be going! I could have swore you typed 3.6L...my bad.

Good point though as there are no new RWD 60 degreee high value V6s.

ok, so the bolt patterns dif, would it be hard to change the 3.9L's? not sure how they do that, they drill the bolt pattern, or is it a casting thing?

Casted, so different block.

curious why you think "The 3.9 VVT will likely replace the 3.5's across the board within 3 years."? seems to me the 3.9L is losing it's place in applications, which makes me a little sad.

The 3.9 VVT along with the 303 hp LS4 was replacing the n/a 3800 and SC 3800 right? Well it pretty did that. Now the Base G6 is the only one with the 3500 the 3900 is standard on GTs. The Impala is keeping the 3.9 as midlevel motor, and we can infer that the re-skinned GP and Lacrosse will use the same engine lineup, though likely without the 3500, till they move off the W-body. Now what else would use the 3900 right now? Nothing right that is still a lot of volume.

we all know the Camaro will have a V6 as its standard engine.. especially now with rising gas prices.. as of now there arent any RWD applications with the 3.5L or 3.9L but it probably wouldnt be much of a problem.. somehow i just dont see them using the 3.6L dohc engine in the base camaro.. it would be too expensive for a car that would start at around $21,000.. that and the same V6 that will be used in the camaro will also see duty in the Impala, the grand prix, and probably some sort of monte carlo replacement.. all those cars will probably carry a base msrp somewhere around 20-23G.. they could also possibly use a version of the same engine to power the base silverado pickup, the colorado and the hummer H3.

the 3.5L and the 3.9L will probably soon replace the 3800.. with it just being used in a few buick models and the grand prix. now there isnt justification to keep producing it.. when they could use the 3.5L as the base engine in the lacrosse, and the 3.9L would power base Grand Prix's.. i think we will see the 3800 die after the 07 or 08 model year..

• 2 years later...