Buick News: 2018 Buick Regal GS Shows Up With 310 Horsepower

The Buick Regal GS has been one of the worst-kept secrets in quite awhile. We learned many of the key details such as the powertrain and how it would look months only a short time after Buick debut the Regal Sportback and Tourx.

Today, Buick has finally unveiled the 2018 Regal GS and given out the juicy details. First up, the Regal GS will use a variant of the 3.6L V6 that powers a number of GM vehicles. Output is rated at 310 horsepower and 282 pound-feet of torque - an increase of 61 horsepower and a decrease of 13 lb-ft when compared to the turbo 2.0L used in the current GS. Power goes through a nine-speed automatic and a twin-clutch all-wheel drive system that not only splits power between the front and rear axles, but also to each rear wheel.

Buick has fitted the second-generation Continuous Damping Control system and Interactive Drive Control to allow a driver to tailor between driving dynamics and comfort. A set of Brembo brakes helps bring the GS to a quick stop.

Outside, the Regal GS looks the part with aggressive front and rear fascias, rear decklid spoiler, and 19-inch wheels. The interior features a set of sport seats that are heated and cooled, flat-bottom steering wheel, and metal pedals. An eight-inch Intellilink system with Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility comes standard.

How much for all of this performance? Quite a lot. When the GS arrives at Buick dealers later this year, it will carry a base price of $39,990 with destination.

“This is a sport sedan designed for everyday driving, but one that makes every drive special. The new Regal GS is in the sweet spot of the market: more refined and luxurious than the mainstream, more value for the price with style and premium features on par with higher-end competitors, and with standard features like AWD with active twin clutch and a rear sportback design that will surprise customers with its usefulness,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global Buick and GMC.

Source: Buick 
Press Release is on Page 2

2018 Buick Regal GS Makes World Debut

• Premium sport sedan offers all-new 310-horsepower V-6, nine-speed transmission and intelligent AWD with active twin clutch

DETROIT — Where spirited driving meets attainable luxury and sleek, sporty design meets modern usefulness, you’ll find the 2018 Buick Regal GS – a car for commutes that are anything but common. As the brand’s most dramatic expression of design and dynamics, this all-new model balances these key characteristics to provide customers excellent driving performance every day and in every season.

The 2018 Regal GS advances the nameplate with 51 more horsepower than the model it replaces, more refined transmission and AWD technology, all-new, heated/cooled and massaging performance seats and the added functionality and style of a five-door sportback design. Starting at $39,990 with destination charges, the Regal GS offers luxury features at a price more attainable than competitors from Audi and BMW.

“This is a sport sedan designed for everyday driving, but one that makes every drive special,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president, Global Buick and GMC. “The new Regal GS is in the sweet spot of the market: more refined and luxurious than the mainstream, more value for the price with style and premium features on par with higher-end competitors, and with standard features like AWD with active twin clutch and a rear sportback design that will surprise customers with its usefulness.”

Regal GS Highlights:

• New 3.6L V-6 with 310 horsepower and 282 lb-ft of torque featuring direct injection, cylinder deactivation and stop/start technology
  • Standard nine-speed automatic transmission and intelligent all-wheel drive (AWD) with active twin clutch for improved vehicle control, and five-link rear suspension
  • GS-specific, AGR-certified, performance seats that are heated, cooled and massaging with adjustable seat and seat-back bolsters as well as thigh support
  • Second-generation Continuous Damping Control (CDC) capable of 500 adjustments per second and Interactive Drive Control with GS and Sport modes
  • Unique sport front and rear fascias, side skirts and rear spoiler
  • Standard 19-inch wheels
  • Performance brakes with Brembo front calipers
  • Sport-tuned exhaust system
  • Sport flat-bottom steering wheel and metal pedals
  • Available head-up display

Buick’s most advanced new propulsion components come standard on the new Regal GS. With 310 horsepower, its refined 3.6-liter V-6 provides more power than an Acura TLX A-Spec or a Lexus IS350 F-Sport but offers seamless auto stop/start technology and can cruise on four cylinders. The V-6 engine is complemented by a sport-tuned dual exhaust system.

Regal GS’ intelligent AWD system with an active twin clutch can precisely transfer torque between the rear wheels for more refined and efficient performance, and the GS receives one of the first applications of the nine-speed automatic transmission in the Buick lineup that’s mated to AWD. This advanced new transmission will soon be offered across five different Buick models.

Every Regal GS also features Buick’s Interactive Drive Control, allowing the driver to tailor the car’s dynamics based on different drive experiences through a standard setting or Sport and GS modes selected via the center console. Interactive Drive Control utilizes Buick’s second-generation Continuous Damping Control (CDC), which is able to adjust suspension damping up to 500 times per second.

Versus a standard 2018 Regal Sportback, the GS also has standard Brembo brakes for more confident stopping power.

“With the all-new 2018 Regal GS, we set out to make a driver-focused, engaging and entertaining sport sedan without sacrificing the smooth ride and refined character expected of any modern Buick,” said Martin Hayes, chief engineer for the Buick Regal GS. “Our new V-6 and nine-speed transmission, intelligent AWD and CDC all work to deliver excellent driving performance.”

Outside, Buick’s signature sculptural beauty presents the car’s sporting nature in an understated way with aggressive front and rear fascias, standard 19-inch wheels, a rear decklid spoiler and GS badging front and rear. Full LED headlamps are an option.

Inside, the Regal features unique perforated GS-specific performance seats with integrated headrests and adjustable lumbar and thigh support bolsters. The seats are heated and ventilated and come standard with a massage function. The interior also features a standard heated flat-bottom sport steering wheel and GS-specific pedals and sill plates.

The 2018 Regal GS offers a cohesive and connected infotainment experience with an 8-inch diagonal touchscreen and 8-inch diagonal reconfigurable instrument cluster as standard equipment. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility both come standard. A full-color head-up display is available with an optional Driver Confidence II package that also includes several safety features including Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Alert and Adaptive Cruise Control with Forward Automatic Braking.

View full article

1 hour ago, Stew said:

I was looking  40k and still a lot f options.  Too expensive  He engine lacks specialsness for the price. 

So your saying at 40K plus options you wonder if this is a 50K car and that the engine, awd and handling is nothing special? :blink:

Well, I am intrigued.

The things I like-

- Ventilated seats, which are unbelievably hard to come buy on non-high level lux cars.

- Massaged seats are a huge, huge deal for me. And same as above.

- Sounds like the AWD system is actually tuned for driving dynamcis.

- Brembos

- Adjustable damping

- Price

What I don't like-

- That N/A 3.6 V6. It's not the most refined piece, and is lacking firepower.

- It's paired to a 9AT. I have suspicions of it being confused and having poor programming.

That engine deal is a pretty big one for me. I understand why it was done, but come on. This was the perfect opportunity to throw in a small boosted 6 and have a real S4 rival. I'm rather indifferent on the styling. The front is very handsome. The side profile is just 'meh'. Back is decent. I couldn't care one way or the other about the hatch.

I think I will definitely at least go check this out.

2 hours ago, Stew said:

I was looking  40k and still a lot f options.  Too expensive  He engine lacks specialsness for the price. 

This think looks like a Kia from the front and a Honda Accord side/rear shape.  You will be able to get a Kia Stinger V6 for this kind of money, and that car has like 370 hp, and correct-wheel-drive.

Really a V6 Camry has just as much power and as good an interior and Toyota reliability and resale and it costs less.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

This think looks like a Kia from the front and a Honda Accord side/rear shape.  You will be able to get a Kia Stinger V6 for this kind of money, and that car has like 370 hp, and correct-wheel-drive.

Really a V6 Camry has just as much power and as good an interior and Toyota reliability and resale and it costs less.

Looks nothing like a Kia whatsoever and this has far more goodies in it than the Accord (which ditched the V6) or Camry (which is still dog ugly and has 40 less horsepower). It has also (over the years) been regarded as being just as reliable as those two. The Stinger doesn't even merit much of a response. It is a RWD sport cruiser with less cache than the Buick. 

32 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Kia Stinger price comparison, fair enough. Dumping on the design, whatever. Suggesting a Camry V6 is a viable competitor? Give me a break.

The only thing similar between the two is engine output, and the interior is not "as good" or even close. Not to mention the double standard of thumbing your nose at the GS's exterior design while suggesting a car as ugly and over-wrought as the 2018 Camry XSE V6.

Edited by cp-the-nerd

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Looks nothing like a Kia whatsoever and this has far more goodies in it than the Accord (which ditched the V6) or Camry (which is still dog ugly and has 40 less horsepower). It has also (over the years) been regarded as being just as reliable as those two. The Stinger doesn't even merit much of a response. It is a RWD sport cruiser with less cache than the Buick. 

Quoted for Truth....of the four cars Buick no question.

The Camry is lighter, has 3 more on-ft of torque and 9 less hp.  And they share the same dimensions.  Seems pretty close to be and the Camry XSE V6 is $5k cheaper.

They can't sell Cadillac ATS's for $40k, yet they want to sell a Buick Regal for that price?  This Regal won't sell just like the last one didn't sell.  I think at $33,750 this Regal looks like a decent buy, which is probably why after 6 months they'll give $5,000 off and 0% for 72 months to sell them.

i think the 39995 is ok, but it should come with turbo on the v6 in order to attract buyers.  the plain jane 3.6 is a meh powerplant nowadays.  i get that GM developed the 3.6+AWD setup to coexist first, but a turbo 6 will have more torque and have it in lower rpm.  the 3.6 here will probably not out torque the 2.0t at lower rpm's.

price wise too, at the end of the model year you will be able to buy this for like 33-34k....at that price its a steal

maybe the twin turbo six is reserved for the GNX

We both like it. He gets the Regal he wants, I get the sports version I want. 310 hp is more than enough. He scared the crap out of me with his driving in a 295hp Durango this past weekend. He's too used the Encore's (lack of) power.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, regfootball said:

plus the hatchback and all wheel drive ^^^^^   win win for you both :)

Yup.  

If I can sell this one property soon, the first stop is replacing the CRV with an Avalanche as a long term vehicle, then we'll look into leasing one of these to replace the Encore.

8 hours ago, Frisky Dingo said:

What I don't like-

- That N/A 3.6 V6. It's not the most refined piece, and is lacking firepower.

- It's paired to a 9AT. I have suspicions of it being confused and having poor programming.

That engine deal is a pretty big one for me. I understand why it was done, but come on. This was the perfect opportunity to throw in a small boosted 6 and have a real S4 rival.

This. I'm not a big fan of the 3.6 for numerous reasons - big one being that lacks low-end punch. I don't know if this will work in GS. I want to believe it will work, but I'll be holding judgment till I can drive.

And a quick reminder to those as to why Buick possibly didn't go with a boosted-six,

There were rumors of the Commodore getting a twin-turbo V6 - possibly the twin-turbo 3.0L or 3.6L from Cadillac. But that isn't going to happen for a simple reason - it can't fit in the Insignia/Commodore's platform (E2XX). 

This was back in October when Holden provided some details on the next Commodore.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a10328974/2018-buick-regal-gs/

The 2018 Regal GS uses a naturally aspirated version of GM's workhorse 3.6-liter V6, which offers 310 hp and 282 lb-ft of torque. It's basically the same engine as the one offered in the Camaro V6, though its horsepower and torque figures are slightly shy of the Camaro's 335 hp and 284 lb-ft of torque. For the GS, this engine is mated to a new nine-speed automatic transmission. The old Regal GS had, shockingly, an optional six-speed manual, but only for front-wheel drive models.

The GS also gets big Brembo brakes, 19-inch wheels, and a sports exhaust as standard. Inside, there's a set of great-looking, GS-specific sport seats that come with a massage function.

Pricing for the Regal GS starts at just under $40,000, which seems like a pretty good deal for what's offered. Of course, the proof will be in how it drives. Hopefully that clever all-wheel drive system can help make the GS a legitimately fun sports sedan, not just another front-drive-based mid-sizer with a big V6.

Description reads very close to what I drive currently...2012 Acura TL SH-AWD.

Id say the Regal GS is just an Acura TL SH-AWD...

Not a bad thing...and maybe, just maybe, if a Tesla Model 3 does not pan out for a possible replacement for my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD in the next 3-4-5 years, maybe this Buick will...

For the record and perspective, the bigger and heavier Lacrosse AWD with this same engine and an 8-speed is a 5.8 second car. The ATS 3.6 V6 8-speed does it in 5.6. Regal GS AWD with the 9-speed should shave a couple off the Lacrosse, making it a 5.5 or 5.6 second car.

If we're going to compare that to other sedans at around $40k, the C300 4-matic is a 6.0 - 6.4 second car depending on who you read.  Think about that for a second to let it sink in... the Buick Lacrosse AWD is faster than the smaller and more expensive C-Class. 

The 330xi is a 5.5 second car with plastic seats for the same price as the GS. You'll get there 0.1 seconds faster in a base A4 Quattro, but then you're in a base model car instead of one with heated/cooled seats and all of the other performance goodies and convenience upgrades that come in a top spec Buick.  Additionally, I've had great results in fuel economy with the latest GM 3.6 with cylinder deactivation. GM doesn't play to the test here and regularly beats the EPA rating with this engine. The AWD 2017 Lacrosse will match or beat my Encore's mpgs on a highway cruise. I never hit EPA in the older version of the 3.6. 

So for people who buy solely on 0-60 times in the entry luxury segment, that choice is clear. The only way you could justify otherwise is by being a badge snob. 

49 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

For the record and perspective, the bigger and heavier Lacrosse AWD with this same engine and an 8-speed is a 5.8 second car. The ATS 3.6 V6 8-speed does it in 5.6. Regal GS AWD with the 9-speed should shave a couple off the Lacrosse, making it a 5.5 or 5.6 second car.

If we're going to compare that to other sedans at around $40k, the C300 4-matic is a 6.0 - 6.4 second car depending on who you read.  Think about that for a second to let it sink in... the Buick Lacrosse AWD is faster than the smaller and more expensive C-Class. 

The 330xi is a 5.5 second car with plastic seats for the same price as the GS. You'll get there 0.1 seconds faster in a base A4 Quattro, but then you're in a base model car instead of one with heated/cooled seats and all of the other performance goodies and convenience upgrades that come in a top spec Buick.  Additionally, I've had great results in fuel economy with the latest GM 3.6 with cylinder deactivation. GM doesn't play to the test here and regularly beats the EPA rating with this engine. The AWD 2017 Lacrosse will match or beat my Encore's mpgs on a highway cruise. I never hit EPA in the older version of the 3.6. 

So for people who buy solely on 0-60 times in the entry luxury segment, that choice is clear. The only way you could justify otherwise is by being a badge snob. 

This^^. A much more accurate comparison than comparing to cars it doesn't compete with, like the Accord or Camry. 

21 hours ago, dfelt said:

So your saying at 40K plus options you wonder if this is a 50K car and that the engine, awd and handling is nothing special? :blink:

Not when I can get a Fusion a Fusion Sport for 35k with handling, AWD, and a turbo 2.7 that will run this off the road.  A 200S AWD with just a few less HP could be had for less than 30k, you can get a Charger Scat Pack for this price.  That is only slightly less than the Chevy SS which came basically fully loaded.  no, i am not impressed, especially since things like the HUD, etc are extra. 

20 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

New Camry has 306 HP and will be considerably lighter.  It also looks good ix XSE form and even comes with a HUD, loaded is around 36k and only the AWD is missing.  Load this up to those standards and tyou look at at least 45k.  The Accord gets a torque boost and while lower in the HP dept is supposed to be 200 pounds lighter than the already light current models.  I would expect a fully loaded model to in over the Camry and SIX SPEED MANUAL!!!!  EVEN ON THE 2.0T!   The Stinger is a nice piece and has more going for it than a new entry in an already crowded and dying segment. 

54 minutes ago, Stew said:

Not when I can get a Fusion a Fusion Sport for 35k with handling, AWD, and a turbo 2.7 that will run this off the road.  A 200S AWD with just a few less HP could be had for less than 30k, you can get a Charger Scat Pack for this price.  That is only slightly less than the Chevy SS which came basically fully loaded.  no, i am not impressed, especially since things like the HUD, etc are extra. 

New Camry has 306 HP and will be considerably lighter.  It also looks good ix XSE form and even comes with a HUD, loaded is around 36k and only the AWD is missing.  Load this up to those standards and tyou look at at least 45k.  The Accord gets a torque boost and while lower in the HP dept is supposed to be 200 pounds lighter than the already light current models.  I would expect a fully loaded model to in over the Camry and SIX SPEED MANUAL!!!!  EVEN ON THE 2.0T!   The Stinger is a nice piece and has more going for it than a new entry in an already crowded and dying segment. 

And neither is optioned like the Regal. Neither has AWD and the Accord doesn't have a V6 with the new gen. It better be lighter when it is relying on four bangers to carry the load. The biggest thing here is that they are not in the same market. The Malibu is the competition for the Accord and Camry. The Regal competes with Lexus and Acura. Its really that simple. See Drew's explanation of you need further help as to why the Accord and Camry have nothing to do with the Regal. 

Oh and where are those new AWD 200s? The answer is nowhere (except for the 2016 holdovers they couldn't get rid of) because FCA gave up on them. We won't even get into the fact that the Regals interior is light years better than the 200. By all means though, keep comparing apples to oranges. 

Edited by surreal1272
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, surreal1272 said:

And neither is optioned like the Regal. Neither has AWD and the Accord doesn't have a V6 with the new gen. It better be lighter when it is relying on four bangers to carry the load. The biggest thing here is that they are not in the same market. The Malibu is the competition for the Accord and Camry. The Regal competes with Lexus and Acura. Its really that simple. See Drew's explanation of you need further help as to why the Accord and Camry have nothing to do with the Regal. 

Oh and where are those new AWD 200s? The answer is nowhere (except for the 2016 holdovers they couldn't get rid of) because FCA gave up on them. We won't even get into the fact that the Regals interior is light years better than the 200. By all means though, keep comparing apples to oranges. 

The Regal is a reskinned Malibu, the only real difference is the V6 and AWD.  base regals start at 25k, only slightly more expensive than starters for the midsize segment   Buick is reskinned chevies.  there is nothing that puts them in a different class.  they are not pure Luxury and even entry luxury is a stretch.  they ARE competitors just like the FWD Civic type R competes with the AWD Fusion RS and Golf Golf R. 

Complaining about not having a manual for a car like this is like complaining it doesn't have crank windows.  When even BMW is considering giving on manuals for its cars, it's time to pack it in for the technology. The market has moved on and isn't buying it. 

The Fusion Sport is a good comparison to this car because of its power, but it doesn't have the handling of even the OLD Regal.... the Fusion sport might out accelerate the Regal GS, but introduce any turns to the mix and if the new GS is even equal to the old one, the difference will be clear. 

• Agree 2

Oh, the 200 was an S with the V6 AWD and loaded would have been mid/high 30s.  The 200 was actually a pleastant car,  

2 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Complaining about not having a manual for a car like this is like complaining it doesn't have crank windows.  When even BMW is considering giving on manuals for its cars, it's time to pack it in for the technology. The market has moved on and isn't buying it. 

The Fusion Sport is a good comparison to this car because of its power, but it doesn't have the handling of even the OLD Regal.... the Fusion sport might out accelerate the Regal GS, but introduce any turns to the mix and if the new GS is even equal to the old one, the difference will be clear. 

There are those of us that LOVE manuals.  That s the Si and Type R being manual only and offering manual on the Accord are big deals.  I wouldn't count out the Accord or camry out as competitors.  Acceleration will be close and the Honda will no doubt have the best handling and feel.  C&D just tested the Civic SI and it pulled .97G around the skidpad  amazing 

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

The Regal is a reskinned Malibu, the only real difference is the V6 and AWD.  base regals start at 25k, only slightly more expensive than starters for the midsize segment   Buick is reskinned chevies.  there is nothing that puts them in a different class.  they are not pure Luxury and even entry luxury is a stretch.  they ARE competitors just like the FWD Civic type R competes with the AWD Fusion RS and Golf Golf R. 

The source of the platform is irrelevant as long as it performs. The Regal interior is certainly entry luxury at least. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

They are not competitors to an AWD car when the cars you mentioned lack AWD.

"Hey I'm looking at this Accord and I really like it. Does it have AWD like the Regal GS? With all this snow, I need AWD. No? Well, thanks anyway"  

Do you see the problem with your assessment yet?

Oh and a Chrysler 300 is a reskinned Charger. Your Malibu reference is just silly. 

1 minute ago, Drew Dowdell said:

The source of the platform is irrelevant as long as it performs. The Regal interior is certainly entry luxury at least. 

When you have to use the rebadge argument, then you have already lost. The Regal and Malibu look nothing alike, they don't share a V6 and the Malibu does not have AWD. That's just for starters. 

11 minutes ago, Stew said:

Oh, the 200 was an S with the V6 AWD and loaded would have been mid/high 30s.  The 200 was actually a pleastant car,  

There are those of us that LOVE manuals.  That s the Si and Type R being manual only and offering manual on the Accord are big deals.  I wouldn't count out the Accord or camry out as competitors.  Acceleration will be close and the Honda will no doubt have the best handling and feel.  C&D just tested the Civic SI and it pulled .97G around the skidpad  amazing 

I like a manual too, but having a manual or not is not going to have any effect on Accord or Regal GS sales. 

I wonder why you think the Honda would have the best handling and feel?  It's suspension is nowhere near as advanced where the GS is adjustable.  Even in the pedestrian models, the Regal had better balance and feel than an Accord or Camry.  The lower trim Regal certainly competes with high end Camry and Accord, but not the GS. Neither the Camry nor Accord will hit the luxury level of the Regal, Honda certainly has been slacking on interiors lately. 

The Civic SI is a completely different class of car. You might as well also compare the GS to a Mustang if you're going to veer that far off course.  

41 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I like a manual too, but having a manual or not is not going to have any effect on Accord or Regal GS sales. 

I wonder why you think the Honda would have the best handling and feel?  It's suspension is nowhere near as advanced where the GS is adjustable.  Even in the pedestrian models, the Regal had better balance and feel than an Accord or Camry.  The lower trim Regal certainly competes with high end Camry and Accord, but not the GS. Neither the Camry nor Accord will hit the luxury level of the Regal, Honda certainly has been slacking on interiors lately. 

The Civic SI is a completely different class of car. You might as well also compare the GS to a Mustang if you're going to veer that far off course.  

This and then some. I just do not get the point of comparing cars that are all over the map, class wise. 

14 hours ago, William Maley said:

This. I'm not a big fan of the 3.6 for numerous reasons - big one being that lacks low-end punch. I don't know if this will work in GS. I want to believe it will work, but I'll be holding judgment till I can drive.

And a quick reminder to those as to why Buick possibly didn't go with a boosted-six,

This was back in October when Holden provided some details on the next Commodore.

and they made a small block v8 fit in W bodies.  they just haven't figured out the turbo plumbing to fit, even if the block does.  or they have and just not ready to go with it.

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-buick-lacrosse-awd-test-review

Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 14.8 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 32.6 sec

Rolling start, 5-60 mph: 6.3 sec

Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.3 sec

Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.5 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.4 sec @ 98 mph

Below are a couple of roll on numbers for the 2016 Malibu 2.0t.  I think that demonstrates how a turbo can help with roll on numbers.

Top gear, 30-50 mph: 3.0 sec

Top gear, 50-70 mph: 4.0 sec

2 hours ago, Stew said:

This is wildly inaccurate and misinformed. The Regal is not a reskinned Malibu. Besides the fact that the US Regal is a DIFFERENT BODY STYLE with a rear hatch-access trunk, the two cars share a platform but were separately developed. Entry luxury is not a stretch. If you ever sat in or drove an Encore, Verano, Regal, or Lacrosse, you wouldn't even suggest it. The Lacrosse also hasn't been a reskinned Chevy since 2010 when it moved to the epsilon II chassis, and the current Lacrosse remains the only GM full size on the redesigned E2XX platform.

You also implied all that separates the new Regal GS from a bunch of $30k family cars with uplevel engines is AWD. I guess you overlooked the heated/cooled/massaging sport seats, brembo brakes, and nurburgring-tuned adaptive suspension? Basically everything except the engine is out of the Camry and 200's league.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

...and very quiet and intuitive.  Wanted to skin my wife alive (or at the very least was rather frustrated) when she didn't like it when we were car shopping.

Regal is a very impressive car.

55 minutes ago, cp-the-nerd said:

This is wildly inaccurate and misinformed. The Regal is not a reskinned Malibu. Besides the fact that the US Regal is a DIFFERENT BODY STYLE with a rear hatch-access trunk, the two cars share a platform but were separately developed. Entry luxury is not a stretch. If you ever sat in or drove an Encore, Verano, Regal, or Lacrosse, you wouldn't even suggest it. The Lacrosse also hasn't been a reskinned Chevy since 2010 when it moved to the epsilon II chassis, and the current Lacrosse remains the only GM full size on the redesigned E2XX platform.

You also implied all that separates the new Regal GS from a bunch of $30k family cars with uplevel engines is AWD. I guess you overlooked the heated/cooled/massaging sport seats, brembo brakes, and nurburgring-tuned adaptive suspension? Basically everything except the engine is out of the Camry and 200's league.

My previous review here of a Verano should indicate all of the (positive) vibes that particular car gave me.

IMHO some cars don't even feel like they were built on the same planet...

Focus ST is a fantastic car, and i love looking at them in traffic or at the local autocross....but the GTI is an order of magnitude better.

Regal is a couple of orders of magnitude better than an Accord, Chryco 200, Camry or the like.

Not even seemingly built on the same planet....

3 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

This and then some. I just do not get the point of comparing cars that are all over the map, class wise. 

The whole manual thing...I love them but...

When the MINI died, tow truck driver said it had been the first manual transmission car he had towed in probably at least 500 tows...

Edited by A Horse With No Name
  • Agree 1

I mentioned 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD

And NOBODY even acknowledged that!

Continue talking about Camrys and old Regals and Ford Fusion Sports ....but ya'll be missin' the fact that this here Regal GS is a near 100% clone of a 2009-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD.  Minus the hatch opening, a 5-10 HP and torques more, 9 speed auto instead of a 6 speed auto, and quite possibly a tad longer...but its description is spot on for the TL SH-AWD....maybe even the TLX SH-AWD...

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oldshurst442 said:

I mentioned 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD

And NOBODY even acknowledged that!

Continue talking about Camrys and old Regals and Ford Fusion Sports ....but ya'll be missin' the fact that this here Regal GS is a near 100% clone of a 2009-2014 Acura TL SH-AWD.  Minus the hatch opening, a 5-10 HP and torques more, 9 speed auto instead of a 6 speed auto, and quite possibly a tad longer...but its description is spot on for the TL SH-AWD....maybe even the TLX SH-AWD...

You need to wipe the mayonnaise you cannucks put on your French fries out of your girl bits...I bring lots of Acura love here and get nothing in return either.  You would almost think this is a GM forum...

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

They are not competitors to an AWD car when the cars you mentioned lack AWD.

"Hey I'm looking at this Accord and I really like it. Does it have AWD like the Regal GS? With all this snow, I need AWD. No? Well, thanks anyway"  

Do you see the problem with your assessment yet?

Oh and a Chrysler 300 is a reskinned Charger. Your Malibu reference is just silly. 

When you have to use the rebadge argument, then you have already lost. The Regal and Malibu look nothing alike, they don't share a V6 and the Malibu does not have AWD. That's just for starters. 

So Buick can rebadge a Malibu and it is a Lexus level luxury car, but if Mercedes takes a Navara Chassis and changes out the interior and engine it is failure.  Got it.

Most people don't really need all wheel drive but I think they should offer it on the Malibu because a lot would buy it.  It is an easy option to sell in the snow belt.

So first off, Buick is Not a luxury brand.  So no point comparing this to an Audi or BMW.  

Second, the Regal GS is no faster than an ATS 2.0t awd, won't handle better than an ATS, it doesn't have a Cadillac beating interior either and it has less of a badge.  So the ATS is a better car at the same money and they can't sell the ATS.  How will they sell these?

The old Regal didn't sell and they raised the price and think it will work this time?

They do sell the ATS. ATS-V starts @ $61K, BTW, to your other faux point of 'can't sell at $40K'.

WRT audi/BMW= the cars they sell in the Regal's price range (A4) aren't luxury cars either; these are premium class vehicles. Like the Regal GS.

No, not Mercedes Navara "premium".

42 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

So Buick can rebadge a Malibu and it is a Lexus level luxury car, but if Mercedes takes a Navara Chassis and changes out the interior and engine it is failure.  Got it.

Most people don't really need all wheel drive but I think they should offer it on the Malibu because a lot would buy it.  It is an easy option to sell in the snow belt.

What is with your apples to oranges comparison? Only a platform is shared and it is also still within the same company, GM as opposed to your luxury car maker piggy backing off a mainstream truck (Nissan) when they already have a pick up in their stable, something you said they didn't have. Again, apples to freakin oranges. Understand the difference now?

Not to sound like a dick, but context is your friend. Seriously. 

33 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

So first off, Buick is Not a luxury brand.  So no point comparing this to an Audi or BMW.  

Second, the Regal GS is no faster than an ATS 2.0t awd, won't handle better than an ATS, it doesn't have a Cadillac beating interior either and it has less of a badge.  So the ATS is a better car at the same money and they can't sell the ATS.  How will they sell these?

The old Regal didn't sell and they raised the price and think it will work this time?

Again, that Buick that you say is not luxury, beat your Benz CLA in a recent comparo (and that is the soon to be gone Regal). Want to try that again or is it a case of the CLA not being luxury?

Edited by surreal1272
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Old Regal did not sell because

1. rear room was tight.

2. Verano was introduced with more or less equal rear room space for less money.

3. lack of marketing

What is different this time around?

1. rear room is abundant

2. Verano no longer available

3. Its clear as daylight that Buick wants to go upscale.

4. Buick has no problem selling premium priced vehicles.

The Lacrosse, Enclave and Envision are successes. Verano and Encore sold quite well when compared to their Chevy counterparts and the Encore compared to its main competition and the Verano compared to the Acura ILX...its main competitor...

5. Speaking of Acura...the Regal GS is almost a clone of the Acura TL SH-AWD and probably its main competitor in 2017 the TLX SH-AWD....

If Acura is premium so is Buick.

The only problem I see is the the Regal might do to the Lacrosse what the Verano did to the old Regal and what Acura did...was to eliminate 2 models and make one...hence TLX...

Big sedans dont sell so the Lacrosse will definitely take a hit...

So....can we at least stop the non-sense posting and start posting LOGICAL THOUGHTS, PLEASE?!

P.S.

The M-B CLA's interior really lacks premium grade quality let alone full on luxury.

Buick's interiors may not be luxury, but they sure are straight up premium in ANY MODEL AT ANY PRICE POINT!

Buick is spot on in the premium luxury status arena since the bankruptcy.

Phoque off if you say otherwise!!!

Edited by oldshurst442
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, balthazar said:

They do sell the ATS. ATS-V starts @ $61K, BTW, to your other faux point of 'can't sell at $40K'.

WRT audi/BMW= the cars they sell in the Regal's price range (A4) aren't luxury cars either; these are premium class vehicles. Like the Regal GS.

2018 ATS 2.0T Luxury trim with AWD is $41,690, pretty close to the Regal GS.  

The ATS has sold 7,209 cars year to date (down 27%).   The C-class sold 7,116 in June alone by comparison.   So I stand by my statement of them struggling to sell ATS's.  And the Regal costs just as much, and is a Buick Regal, not a Cadillac. 

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

2018 ATS 2.0T Luxury trim with AWD is $41,690, pretty close to the Regal GS.  

The ATS has sold 7,209 cars year to date (down 27%).   The C-class sold 7,116 in June alone by comparison.   So I stand by my statement of them struggling to sell ATS's.  And the Regal costs just as much, and is a Buick Regal, not a Cadillac. 

So just ignore all the other evidence when it doesn't support your GM slamming narrative. Got it. 

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, oldshurst442 said:

The M-B CLA's interior really lacks premium grade quality let alone full on luxury.

Buick's interiors may not be luxury, but they sure are straight up premium in ANY MODEL AT ANY PRICE POINT!

But the Regal GS has C300 pricing.  

I'll agree to Buick being as premium as a CLA or Acura TSX level car.  Because those aren't luxury cars either.  Even though the CLA comes from a luxury brand, it is more of a premium compact.  Likewise with A3, 1-series, etc.

1 hour ago, balthazar said:

ATS V in all fairness is a very small portion of the sales.

5 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

I'll agree to Buick being as premium as a CLA or Acura TSX level car.  Because those aren't luxury cars either.  Even though the CLA comes from a luxury brand, it is more of a premium compact.  Likewise with A3, 1-series, etc.

True.

But a C300 @ 40K also comes with a turbo 2.0 liter 4 cylinder...with 240 horses.....same as a Fusion 2.0 ecoboost or  Malibu 2.0T at  much much lower price points...

So....by your logic and way of thinking, and how M-B sells its cars really...a C300 really is a mainstream offering....EXACTLY how its predecessor was in Europe... but with a head exploding price tag!!!

So....what are we discussing here?

Round and round we go but nowhere relevant we end up!!!

You are buying luxury when you buy a C300 though, not performance, 241 hp is fine for that buyer, and for around $52k they have a C43 with a 4.5 second 0-60 time, which is a lot of performance bang for the buck.

The Regal GS is like the Maxima, it is too much money for what it is.   $42,650 gets an Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD with the 3 liter turbo V6 (300 hp, 295 lb-ft).  So why pay $42k for a Maxima or Regal?  

4 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

You are buying luxury when you buy a C300 though, not performance, 241 hp is fine for that buyer, and for around $52k they have a C43 with a 4.5 second 0-60 time, which is a lot of performance bang for the buck.

The Regal GS is like the Maxima, it is too much money for what it is.   $42,650 gets an Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD with the 3 liter turbo V6 (300 hp, 295 lb-ft).  So why pay $42k for a Maxima or Regal?  

Because a $40k C300 is not all that luxury. No Navi, no heated seats, no Carplay, plastic seats, and less power than a Chevy Cobalt SS.

The standard features list of a $40k Regal GS is long.

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

You do understand that the Regal will start in the mid 20's right? Oh and Drew covered the other part of the problem.

Edited by surreal1272