• Welcome Guest!

Founded in 2001, CheersandGears.com is one of the oldest continuously running automotive enthusiast communities on the net. 

William Maley

Hyundai News:Hyundai Wants To Cut Their Product Design Cycle By Half

Automakers know they have to stay on top of changing trends to be competitive or they'll end up behind the pack. That is currently the case with Hyundai as they are playing catch up to meet the growing demand for crossovers. But the company is readying an ambitious plan that will see their product design cycles cut in half.

Luc Donckerwolke, senior vice president of design for Hyundai and Genesis tells Automotive News that he wants to cut the time that it takes from designing to production from about three years today to as little as a year and a half. 

"As life cycles get shorter, they will get drastically shorter. I have no doubt design can be shortened by half," said Donckerwolke.

To help with this plan, Hyundai has opened a new 330,000 square feet design studio at the company's Namyang R&D Center. The new studio is more than double the size of the old one and will allow designers for both Hyundai and Genesis to work on 25 projects at the same time. According to Donckerwolke, the studio is responsible for about 65 projects. The new studio is said to shave off 30 percent of the typical design cycle.

While Hyundai and Genesis will share the building, designers for the two brands will be separated to keep influence from one another to a minimum. 

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required)

View full article

They need to poach designers from Honda. Apparently they have the process down to the shortest in the business.

With EV's, I can truly see this happening as the complexity of ICE goes away, the skateboard concept allows one to really make radical changes to the body fast, build it, then bolt it to the Skate board and plug in the power / communication connections.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

With EV's, I can truly see this happening as the complexity of ICE goes away, the skateboard concept allows one to really make radical changes to the body fast, build it, then bolt it to the Skate board and plug in the power / communication connections.

This is true even in an EV with a regenerator.  Eventually, the regenerators are going to get smaller and of different configuration. It will just be something that sits on the skateboard.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Drew Dowdell said:

This is true even in an EV with a regenerator.  Eventually, the regenerators are going to get smaller and of different configuration. It will just be something that sits on the skateboard.

One of my favorite pictures is the BOLT Skateboard.

2017-Chevrolet-Bolt-EV-Powertrain-Drive-Unit-and-Battery-007-1024x729.jpg

It's funny that you used that particular concept for the article picture @William Maley since it looks like a bunch of Hyundai designers snuck into the Peugeot / Citroen design studios after a party one night. 

I still to be convinced that this is a good thing. Rushing is not always a good thing....

On 8/15/2017 at 8:26 PM, daves87rs said:

I still to be convinced that this is a good thing. Rushing is not always a good thing....

Be interesting to see how many lawsuits they get hit with on product built on this super short design cycle.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dfelt said:

Be interesting to see how many lawsuits they get hit with on product built on this super short design cycle.

One of many problems I believe......

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Today's Birthdays

1. dans30thta
      dans30thta
  • Similar Content

• By William Maley
      Hyundai Motor America Reports March 2018 Sales

FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., April 3, 2018 – Hyundai Motor America reported March sales of Hyundai- and Genesis-branded vehicles of 61,540 units, an 11 percent decline in comparison with March 2017. Sales were paced by the best SUV sales month in company history, cracking 25,000 units for the first time and up 25 percent over last March. Inventories of the well-received Kona are increasing and dealers are turning them quickly. Tucson set its all-time monthly mark, up 31 percent, while setting a monthly record for 13 consecutive months. Not to be overlooked by Hyundai’s standout SUV performance, Sonata retails sales were up 16 percent. 
      Sales by Brand
        Mar-18
      Mar-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      Hyundai
      Genesis
      TOTAL
      Hyundai Brand Highlights
      “March was a balanced attack with Hyundai SUV sales representing 43 percent of total volume and Sonata gaining retail market share,” said John Angevine, director, National Sales, Hyundai Motor America. “We continue to focus on right sizing our business with emphasis on Hyundai core products and our SUV performance combined with Sonata’s retail gains is demonstrating that.”
      Hyundai Model Sales
      Vehicle
      Mar-18
      Mar-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      Accent
      Azera
      Elantra
      Kona
      Santa Fe
      Sonata
      Tucson
      Veloster
      Ioniq
      Genesis Brand Highlights
      Genesis Motor America reported sales of 1,386 in March, a 21 percent decrease compared with the year earlier.
      “We are delighted that both March and Q1 sales performance are consistent with our expectations,” said Erwin Raphael, executive director and general manager, Genesis Motor America. “We are also absolutely thrilled with the reception both our all-new 2019 G70 Sport Sedan and our Essentia Concept are receiving at the New York International Auto Show. The G70 solidifies our sedan offerings as an attractive entry level luxury sedan with class leading interiors, safety technology and optimized driving dynamics. The G70 joins her mid-luxury G80 and premium luxury G90 siblings to form a solid foundation of athletically and elegantly designed, very well equipped luxury performance sedans.”
      Genesis Model Sales
      Vehicle
      Mar-18
      Mar-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      G80
      G90
    • By William Maley
      The Hyundai Elantra GT has always stood apart from its sedan counterpart due to its European roots. This is most apparent in terms of handling where the hatchback felt slightly sharper than the sedan. Hyundai’s U.S. office has once again called on the European office to source a new Elantra GT hatchback. The model known in Europe as the i30 has been said to be a viable alternative to the Volkswagen Golf by automotive writers. Does that hold true in terms of the U.S.?
      Hyundai’s designers took a page out of the Golf’s playbook when it comes to the exterior. It may not have the excitement or sharp design traits of other compacts, but the Elantra GT’s shape is very classy. The front end features Hyundai’s new hexagonal grille shape and deep cuts in the bumper for the fog lights. The side profile features a large area of glass to help the interior feel airier and a set of 18-inch wheels with black center caps. The rear has a crease running along the rear tailgate and a dual exhaust system.
      My first impression of the Elantra GT’s interior was, “this is more interesting to look at than the Elantra sedan”. The dash design is clean with sculpting along the passenger side to provide some visual differentiation. Sport models feature red accent trim around the vents and stitching on the seats to give off the impression of sportiness. Material quality is average for the class with an equal mix of hard and soft-touch materials. Passengers sitting up front will find controls to be in easy reach and the seats offering adequate comfort. Taller passengers sitting in the back will be complaining about the minuscule amount of legroom. With the driver’s seat set in my position, I found my knees were almost touching the back of it. The Elantra GT’s cargo space is towards the top of the class with 24.9 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats and 55.1 cubic feet when folded.
      All Elantra GT’s get Hyundai’s BlueLink infotainment system housed either in a 7- or 8-inch touchscreen mounted on top of the dash. Our tester came with the larger 8-inch screen with navigation. Hyundai’s BlueLink system is one our favorite infotainment system with an easy-to-understand user interface, physical shortcut buttons around the screen, and snappy performance. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration are standard and bring more capability to BlueLink.
      Under the hood of the Elantra GT Sport is a turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder producing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is the same engine you’ll find in the Elantra Sport and Kia Soul !. A six-speed manual is standard, but the model seen here had the optional seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. The first couple of days driving the Elantra GT Sport was somewhat of a disappointment. The throttle felt very sluggish, not letting the turbo engine provide a rush of power. Not helping was the transmission which was focused more on upshifting quickly, along with stumbling with gear changes at low speeds. But I soon figured out that putting the vehicle into Sport mode makes the vehicle much more lively. The throttle loosens up and allows the engine to exploit its full potential. The transmission seems to hold on to gears slightly longer to allow for improved performance. My hunch is that the standard drive mode is actually an eco mode to maximize fuel economy. I would like to see Hyundai add a separate eco mode and have the standard driving mode be a balance of eco and sport.
      In terms of fuel economy, the Elantra GT Sport is rated at 26 City/32 Highway/28 Combined with the DCT. My average for the week landed around 27 mpg with a 60/40 mix of city and highway driving.
      The Elantra GT Sport’s handling is Hyundai’s best effort to date. Sport models swap the torsion beam rear suspension found on the standard GT for a sport-tuned multilink setup. This swap makes the Elantra GT quite nimble in the corners with little body roll and feels poised. Steering provides decent weight when turning. The sporty setup does mean the Elantra GT Sport has a compliant ride with more road imperfections being transmitted. Not much wind noise comes inside, but a fair amount of road noise does.
      The Elantra GT Sport is so close to being a viable alternative to the Volkswagen Golf. It offers a clean exterior look, well-equipped interior, spacious cargo area, and impressive handling characteristics. But the programming of the standard drive mode dents the appeal of the Sport, making it feel less ‘sporty’. Hopefully, Hyundai has some plans to tweak the drive mode programming and dual-clutch transmission. 
      Hyundai has an agreeable compact hatchback in the form of the Elantra GT Sport. But we think given a little bit more time and work, it could be one of the best.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Elantra GT, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Elantra GT
      Trim: Sport A/T
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC D-CVVT GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Seven-Speed dual-Clutch
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 ~ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/32/28
      Curb Weight: 3,155 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $24,350
      As Tested Price: $29,210 (Includes $885.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Sport Tech Package - $3,850.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00
    • By William Maley
      The Hyundai Elantra GT has always stood apart from its sedan counterpart due to its European roots. This is most apparent in terms of handling where the hatchback felt slightly sharper than the sedan. Hyundai’s U.S. office has once again called on the European office to source a new Elantra GT hatchback. The model known in Europe as the i30 has been said to be a viable alternative to the Volkswagen Golf by automotive writers. Does that hold true in terms of the U.S.?
      Hyundai’s designers took a page out of the Golf’s playbook when it comes to the exterior. It may not have the excitement or sharp design traits of other compacts, but the Elantra GT’s shape is very classy. The front end features Hyundai’s new hexagonal grille shape and deep cuts in the bumper for the fog lights. The side profile features a large area of glass to help the interior feel airier and a set of 18-inch wheels with black center caps. The rear has a crease running along the rear tailgate and a dual exhaust system.
      My first impression of the Elantra GT’s interior was, “this is more interesting to look at than the Elantra sedan”. The dash design is clean with sculpting along the passenger side to provide some visual differentiation. Sport models feature red accent trim around the vents and stitching on the seats to give off the impression of sportiness. Material quality is average for the class with an equal mix of hard and soft-touch materials. Passengers sitting up front will find controls to be in easy reach and the seats offering adequate comfort. Taller passengers sitting in the back will be complaining about the minuscule amount of legroom. With the driver’s seat set in my position, I found my knees were almost touching the back of it. The Elantra GT’s cargo space is towards the top of the class with 24.9 cubic feet of space behind the rear seats and 55.1 cubic feet when folded.
      All Elantra GT’s get Hyundai’s BlueLink infotainment system housed either in a 7- or 8-inch touchscreen mounted on top of the dash. Our tester came with the larger 8-inch screen with navigation. Hyundai’s BlueLink system is one our favorite infotainment system with an easy-to-understand user interface, physical shortcut buttons around the screen, and snappy performance. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration are standard and bring more capability to BlueLink.
      Under the hood of the Elantra GT Sport is a turbocharged 1.6L four-cylinder producing 201 horsepower and 195 pound-feet of torque. This is the same engine you’ll find in the Elantra Sport and Kia Soul !. A six-speed manual is standard, but the model seen here had the optional seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. The first couple of days driving the Elantra GT Sport was somewhat of a disappointment. The throttle felt very sluggish, not letting the turbo engine provide a rush of power. Not helping was the transmission which was focused more on upshifting quickly, along with stumbling with gear changes at low speeds. But I soon figured out that putting the vehicle into Sport mode makes the vehicle much more lively. The throttle loosens up and allows the engine to exploit its full potential. The transmission seems to hold on to gears slightly longer to allow for improved performance. My hunch is that the standard drive mode is actually an eco mode to maximize fuel economy. I would like to see Hyundai add a separate eco mode and have the standard driving mode be a balance of eco and sport.
      In terms of fuel economy, the Elantra GT Sport is rated at 26 City/32 Highway/28 Combined with the DCT. My average for the week landed around 27 mpg with a 60/40 mix of city and highway driving.
      The Elantra GT Sport’s handling is Hyundai’s best effort to date. Sport models swap the torsion beam rear suspension found on the standard GT for a sport-tuned multilink setup. This swap makes the Elantra GT quite nimble in the corners with little body roll and feels poised. Steering provides decent weight when turning. The sporty setup does mean the Elantra GT Sport has a compliant ride with more road imperfections being transmitted. Not much wind noise comes inside, but a fair amount of road noise does.
      The Elantra GT Sport is so close to being a viable alternative to the Volkswagen Golf. It offers a clean exterior look, well-equipped interior, spacious cargo area, and impressive handling characteristics. But the programming of the standard drive mode dents the appeal of the Sport, making it feel less ‘sporty’. Hopefully, Hyundai has some plans to tweak the drive mode programming and dual-clutch transmission. 
      Hyundai has an agreeable compact hatchback in the form of the Elantra GT Sport. But we think given a little bit more time and work, it could be one of the best.
      Disclaimer: Hyundai Provided the Elantra GT, Insurance, and One Tank of Gas
      Year: 2018
      Make: Hyundai
      Model: Elantra GT
      Trim: Sport A/T
      Engine: 1.6L Turbocharged DOHC D-CVVT GDI Four-Cylinder
      Driveline: Front-Wheel Drive, Seven-Speed dual-Clutch
      Horsepower @ RPM: 201 @ 6,000
      Torque @ RPM: 195 @ 1,500 ~ 4,500
      Fuel Economy: City/Highway/Combined - 26/32/28
      Curb Weight: 3,155 lbs
      Location of Manufacture: Ulsan, South Korea
      Base Price: $24,350
      As Tested Price: $29,210 (Includes $885.00 Destination Charge)
      Options:
      Sport Tech Package - $3,850.00
      Carpeted Floor Mats - $125.00

View full article
    • By William Maley
      Hyundai Motor America Reports February 2018 Sales
      Hyundai Total SUV Sales Up 19 Percent; Represents 39 Percent of Total Sales Tucson Sales Increase 31 Percent; Best Tucson February Sales Ever Santa Fe Up 8 Percent; Sets All-Time February Record Kona Makes its U.S. Retail Debut FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., March 1, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyundai Motor America reported February sales of Hyundai- and Genesis-branded vehicles of 46,095 units, a 13 percent decline in comparison with the company's all-time best February in 2017. Strengthened by the arrival of the first-ever Kona, Hyundai's combined SUV family (up 19 percent) set its February monthly sales record, with Tucson (up 31 percent) and Santa Fe (up 8 percent) also setting their best-ever February marks. Tucson also completed an entire calendar year establishing new monthly records.
      Sales by Brand
        Feb-18
      Feb-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      Hyundai
      Genesis
      TOTAL
      Hyundai Brand Highlights
      "Through the first two months of 2018 our SUVs continue to deliver and our car-to-SUV mix creeps closer to the industry with 39 percent of our sales coming from SUVs," said John Angevine, director, National Sales, Hyundai Motor America. "Despite an overall decline to start the year, we remain highly optimistic that we can take greater advantage of the SUV craze as Kona enters dealerships in larger numbers."
      Hyundai Model Sales
      Vehicle
      Feb-18
      Feb-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      Accent
      Azera
      Elantra
      Kona
      Santa Fe
      Sonata
      Tucson
      Veloster
      Ioniq
      Genesis Brand Highlights
      Genesis Motor America reported sales of 1,363 in February, a 14 percent decrease compared with the year earlier.
      "Our February sales performance aligned with current market expectations," said Erwin Raphael, general manager, Genesis Motor America. "Concurrently, two additional accolades - AutoTrader.com's 10 Best Car Interiors for the G80 as well as top-ranked brand in Consumer Report's annual report card – reaffirm our laser-focused approach to customer satisfaction."
      Genesis Model Sales
      Vehicle
      Feb-18
      Feb-17
      2018 YTD
      2017 YTD
      G80
      G90
    • By William Maley
      When Hyundai unveiled the Kona subcompact crossover last year, they said an electric variant would be following. Today, the Korean automaker has unveiled the Kona EV before its official debut next week at the Geneva Motor Show.
      Styling for the large part is the same as the regular Kona. The only real difference is up front where the grille is closed off and features a little door hiding the charging point. Other design changes include a two-tone roof and 17-inch alloy wheels. For the interior, Hyundai has added a seven-inch digital instrument cluster and a push-button gear selector. 
      Hyundai will be offering two versions of the Kona EV. The standard model uses a 133 horsepower electric motor and 39.2-kWh battery pack that will give a max range of 186 miles on the new Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Procedure (WLTP). A Long-range version packs 201 horsepower from its electric motor and 64-kWh battery pack. Max range is said to be 292 miles on the WLTP cycle.
      Recharging is said to take around 6 hours and 10 minutes for the standard model and 9 hours and 40 minutes for the long-range model. Hyundai doesn't say if this is when the model is plugged into a 240V charger or not. When plugged into a 100-kW DC fast charger, it will take 54 minutes for both models to get an 80 percent charge.
      No word on Hyundai is planning to launch the Kona EV in Europe. We expect Hyundai to make some announcement on the Kona EV for the U.S. at the New York Auto Show later in the month.
      Source: Hyundai
      Press Release is on Page 2

Highlights of All-New Hyundai Kona Electric
      With the launch of the All-New Kona Electric, Hyundai Motor is offering the first fully-electric subcompact SUV on the European market. The All-New Kona Electric is a car of no compromise, combining Hyundai’s progressive SUV style and a zero-emission electric powertrain. The new model in Hyundai’s eco line-up is available with two different powertrain versions, offering an outstanding range of up to 470 kilometres. The first fully-electric subcompact SUV features a unique exterior design with closed grille and a dedicated centre console in the interior for intuitive operation of the shift-by-wire module. The All-New Kona Electric carries the same expressive design and 'go-anywhere' attitude of the regular Kona. Thanks to its roominess, the All-New Kona Electric is a versatile car, making it suitable for everyday use. The new seven-inch supervision cluster provides relevant driving information, additionally the combiner head-up display projects it directly to the driver’s line of sight. The All-New Kona Electric offers a wide range of active Hyundai SmartSense safety features. 27 February 2018 - With the All-New Kona Electric, Hyundai Motor is offering the first fully-electric subcompact SUV on the European market combining the two hottest automotive trends - eco-mobility and SUV style.
      "Hyundai Motor is already leading in future mobility solutions. By launching our All-New Kona Electric, we are pushing our ambitious eco car strategy forward. It's a car of no compromise - combining an SUV body type with electric-mobility. It represents Hyundai's progressive character. With Hyundai Motor, the future is now!"
      Andreas-Christoph Hofmann
      Vice President Marketing and Product at Hyundai Motor Europe
      Established SUV brand with a progressive mind set
      The All-New Kona Electric is the latest addition to the successful family reinforcing the company’s leadership in the eco-car segment. It merges the strengths of SUV with the power of electric powertrains. Hyundai is the first automotive brand in Europe to make a fully-electric subcompact SUV available to everyone. By already offering the broadest range of powertrains, Hyundai is at the forefront of eco-mobility. The company marketed the first mass-produced fuel-cell vehicle, the ix35 Fuel Cell, and recently introduced its successor, the All-New NEXO. Additionally, the IONIQ is the first car available with three different electric powertrains in one body type. Winning several prestigious accolades from media and industry organisations, the IONIQ is one of the most awarded eco-cars in Europe. The success story of Hyundai’s SUV range began 17 years ago with the launch of the Santa Fe. Since 2001 Hyundai has sold more than 1.5 million units of Santa Fe, Grand Santa Fe, Tucson and All-New Kona in Europe. They all carry the dynamic, progressive style of Hyundai and make it an established brand in this still-growing segment.
      A car of no compromise
      The All-New Kona Electric enables customers to combine the two fastest growing automotive trends – electrification and SUV style. It carries the same expressive design and 'go-anywhere' attitude of the regular Kona. The fully-electric version reflects the individual lifestyle of modern customers who, benefit from great fun-to-drive and the low environmental impact of a fully-electric car. The completely new platform of the Kona enables a space-saving integration of the battery packs without compromising the roominess.
      The power of All-New Kona Electric: You define it.
      The All-New Kona Electric features two different powertrain versions, offering customers one of the most powerful electric motors. The long-range battery version provides driving range of up to 470 kilometres*, delivering a maximum output of 204 PS (150 kW). With a battery capacity of 39,2 kWh, the basic version drives up to 300km* on a single charge with the motor delivering 135PS (99 kW). With 395 Nm of immediate torque and an acceleration of 7.6 seconds from 0 to 100 km/h, the All-New Kona Electric provides a real fun-to-drive experience.
      Progressive design
      The All-New Kona Electric adopts the expressive-looking and powerful front from the regular Kona. The key design differentiator is the closed grille which gives a clean and stylish appearance, while also enhancing aerodynamics. Another characteristic element of the front design is the Composite Light enhancing the visual impact, with the LED Daytime Running Lights positioned on top of the LED headlights. The Kona Electric’s two-tone roof and the choice of seven distinctive exterior colours underline the personal style of its driver.
      Electric drive feeling
      A special feature of the All-New Kona Electric is the shift-by-wire operation module which enables an intuitive operation of the electric powertrain. The adjustable regenerative braking system allows the driver to adjust the intensity of the regenerative braking by using the paddle shifts behind the steering wheel. The system recuperates additional energy when possible. Drivers also benefit from the large seven-inch supervision cluster, which displays key information about the car’s driving performance and, in addition, the combiner head-up display shows relevant driving information directly to the driver’s line of sight.
      Connected and caring
      The All-New Kona Electric offers a wide range of connectivity features, such as the infotainment system which integrates navigation, media and connectivity features, e.g. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto as well as Wireless Charging. The new eco-model in Hyundai’s line-up is equipped with the company’s latest active safety and driving assistance technologies, called SmartSense: Forward Collision Avoidance Assist with Pedestrian Detection, Blind Spot Collision Warning including Rear Cross Traffic Collision Warning, Lane Keeping Assist, Driver Attention Warning, Intelligent Speed Limit Warning and Lane Following Assist.
  • My Clubs