Sign in to follow this  
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

What does "made in America" really mean?

Good ad. Edited by ocnblu

good stuff there

but i was at a dodge dealer getting my work truck serviced (the ISB takes 12 quarts of OIL!!!)

and almost ALL the cars and trucks there were final in either Mexico or Canada.... yet they still had over 2/3s of the parts made in the US/Can.

Go figure :blink:

WOW! Good ad!

But, is it actually playing on TV? I know I don't watch a lot of TV to begin with, but I would think I'd have seen it by now....

Cort, "Mr MC" / "Mr Road Trip", 32swm/pig valve/pacemaker

MC:family.IL.guide.future = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/

Models.HO = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/trainroom.html

chdQB = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/quilt.html

"I'm dying inside" ... The Tony Rich Project ... 'Nobody Knows'

good stuff there

but i was at a dodge dealer getting my work truck serviced (the ISB takes 12 quarts of OIL!!!)

and almost ALL the cars and trucks there were final in either Mexico or Canada.... yet they still had over 2/3s of the parts made in the US/Can.

"Almost all" in the shop or on the dealer's lot? Because 2/3 of Dodge Rams are made in the US, half of the Caravans, all of the Dakotas, Durangos, and Stratuses (and Vipers) are from the US.

Propaganda - Pure and simple.

Still going to purchase that European designed and built Saturn Astra, Mexican built GMT Suburban/Avalanche, Korean built Aveo, Korean Engineered, Mexican built NG Saturn Vue, Chinese powered Chevrolet Equinox, Cadillac sigmas with a French transmission and Euro built engine, OZ GTO or how about a Canadian built, Holden derived American Icon Camaro and Impala?

ewe a French transmission in a Cadillac.

Edited by evok

Propaganda - Pure and simple.

Still going to purchase that European designed and built Saturn Astra, Mexican built GMT Suburban/Avalanche, Korean built Aveo, Korean Engineered, Mexican built NG Saturn Vue, Chinese powered Chevrolet Equinox, Cadillac sigmas with a French transmission and Euro built engine, OZ GTO or how about a Canadian built, Holden derived American Icon Camaro and Impala?

ewe a French transmission in a Cadillac.

When Toyota's doing everything in their power to convince Americans that they're an American car company building American cars and helping the American economy, I say, "Fight fire with fire." May the best "American" company win.

When Toyota's doing everything in their power to convince Americans that they're an American car company building American cars and helping the American economy, I say, "Fight fire with fire." May the best "American" company win.

1) Toyota never said in the ads they were an American car company.

2) Legally, Toyota in the US is an American car company through their legally incorporated US subsiduaries.

3) Last but not least, Toyota, Honda, etc are building more plants in the US and hiring workers. I do not hear much coming out GM, F and C.

Really, what is American these days?

Really, what is American these days?

Not Toyota, and not Honda.

Spin it any way you want, but Toyota is deffinitely trying to push their Americanness, convince people that they are American. They aren't. They may build cars in America, they may hire American works, but it doesn't make them American, it just makes them a Japanese company building some of its cars in another country. This goes for Honda too. The difference is that Honda isn't making any statements about how their cars are the "best for America" they aren't trying to enter into NASCAR, an American motorsport (that I don't care for, but still), and Honda hasn't been touting how they've done "so much" for the economy like Toyota has been. I'm not fond of Honda, but at least they are honest and aren't trying to convince us that they aren't Japanese.

Don't forget that Chrysler just added 1000 jobs to building the Caliber/Compass/Patriot. That's something...or maybe it's not since it's not news about Toyota?

Edited by Dodgefan

I wish I could dig it up, but Fbodfather posted that GM still puts far more American content into their cars and employs far more American workers. I think it was pre-crash, though. Still, I agree with you that the definition of "American" is muddying. Thank the geniuses in Washington (several generations of them) for that for making it cheaper to manufacture goods overseas and ship them here than produce them on our own soil. I'll stop here, because I'll rant on like a lunatic otherwise.

Not Toyota, and not Honda. Spin it any way you want, but Toyota is deffinitely trying to push their Americanness, convince people that they are American. They aren't. They may build cars in America, they may hire American works, but it doesn't make them American, it just makes them a Japanese company building some of its cars in another country. This goes for Honda too. The difference is that Honda isn't making any statements about how their cars are the "best for America" they aren't trying to enter into NASCAR, an American motorsport (that I don't care for, but still), and Honda hasn't been touting how they've done "so much" for the economy like Toyota has been. I'm not fond of Honda, but at least they are honest and aren't trying to convince us that they aren't Japanese.

Don't forget that Chrysler just added 1000 jobs to building the Caliber/Compass/Patriot. That's something...or maybe it's not since it's not news about Toyota?

Your argument is without basis - Just a reminder Chrysler Group is DaimlerChrysler Inc, a US subsiduary of DaimlerChrysler AG. A German Company.

Again, what is American these days?

Regrettably, Chrysler should be considered a foreign car company, even though it has had a long, proud history in North America; however, (and this is a BIG however), Daimler has earned the right to sell vehicles in North America because Germany does not block foreign companies from owning and running German companies. That cannot be said of Japanese companies. Ford and GM build and sell a lot of vehicles in Europe. NOBODY OTHER THAN JAPANESE COMPANIES SELL MUCH OF ANY VEHICLES IN JAPAN. NOT MERCEDES. NOT PEUGEOT. NOT FIAT. NOBODY.

At the risk of starting another long thread, Japan Inc. blocks foreign companies at every turn. They are not a free market.

Not Toyota, and not Honda. Spin it any way you want, but Toyota is deffinitely trying to push their Americanness, convince people that they are American. They aren't. They may build cars in America, they may hire American works, but it doesn't make them American, it just makes them a Japanese company building some of its cars in another country. This goes for Honda too.

Two Japanese companies building MOST of their North American-market products in North America. Two Japanese companies increasing their call for North American engineers and designers. Two Japanese companies looking for MORE North American sourcing for their products. Two Japanese companies who want to work with their suppliers to keep them healthy and keep them improving the quality of their products.

GM and Ford are two American companies increasing their foreign content, decreasing the number of Americans building their products, decreasing the number of American engineerings designing their products, and doing everything in their power to cheapen their supplied parts and force those suppliers to source from outside of North America.

The difference is that Honda isn't making any statements about how their cars are the "best for America" they aren't trying to enter into NASCAR, an American motorsport (that I don't care for, but still), and Honda hasn't been touting how they've done "so much" for the economy like Toyota has been. I'm not fond of Honda, but at least they are honest and aren't trying to convince us that they aren't Japanese.

This one I don't understand. The attitude against non-Big3 joining NASCAR is the same attitude that the Big3 had when they thought their only competition was themselves. Competitions forces you to make better products. Competition makes racing better.

And Honda is more "American" and many American companies. Back in the 1980s, Honda (the least "Japanese" of the Japanese automakers) almost moved their corporate headquarters to the US because they knew just how important the North American market was to them. Honda has fought AGAINST the Japanese government just to stay in business since they started making cars.

That's 1,000 jobs they just let go in the past few years. It's not like they've hired new workers (unlike Toyota and Honda), they just put some of their sidelined workers on the assembly line.

Um, shouldn't they all just be considered multinational corporations?

Yes - that would be logical. Sometimes though, people have trouble with that.

I could not care less where whatever my vehicle of choice is built.

There are 7 companies who I will never buy a car from: Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Isuzu, and Suzuki. Any other automaker is fair game, though. In fact, until GM gets a good, affordable, practical vehicle thats appealing, I likely won't own one for the forseeable future.

Care to explain your choice of the Magnificent Seven, bowtie dude?

Sure.

Dodge, basically I still don't trust their quality. Their interiors, at least from a design standpoint, are god awful, IMO, and I just don't trust them, YET, as far as reliability either. Some of the best-looking cars sold in the US? Definitely. But I don't think they're near the highest quality.

Toyota and Honda, I just choose not to spend my money on cars made by corporations ran by two-faced CEOs who think they can tell the customer what they want since they've built a solid rep. Toyotas and Hondas are some of the best cars, quality and reliability wise, on the market, but I just can't bring myself to buy one, not a single car either of them make appeals to me in anyway. I like Nissan because I have an affinity for the underdog, and Nissan actually builds APPEALING vehicles, design-wise.

The last 4 are kind of obvious. There's just a stigma with Korean-made autos still, one I'd rather not be attached to.

But even with that in mind, currently GM doesn't build a car that I desire AND can afford. When I'm given the choice between a Mazda3 or a Cobalt, only a fool would get the lesser of the two unless there was a deal to be had.

EDIT:

I guess I really should say never, as thats a strong word. I just don't ever see myself purchasing any of them unless they fix what I mentioned above.

Edited by bowtie_dude

I could not care less where whatever my vehicle of choice is built.

There are 7 companies who I will never buy a car from: Dodge, Toyota, Honda, Kia, Hyundai, Isuzu, and Suzuki.  Any other automaker is fair game, though.  In fact, until GM gets a good, affordable, practical vehicle thats appealing, I likely won't own one for the forseeable future.

Today, buying from one auto-company offers support to others purely based on the cross-development products the corporations offer. GM and Toyota working together for the Vibe/Matrix - GM Daewoo developing cars that sell globally under different nameplates as Optra/Forenza, Aveo/SwiftII, Buick/Lacetti, and the list will grow with other models.

The days of buying a car that has absolutely no influence from other auto-makers has disappeared. In order to produce a product that reaches the expectations of the consumer, you need a viable competitor to keep the bar raised. Example: the foreign makers have succeeded in virtually eliminating the late-model car as being a hulking tank. GM had to adjust to the new appeal, and will continue to do so for their own survival (not simply just for their benefit). That said, you may never find a vehicle that meets all your criteria because it will have elements of foreign influence just to make it marketable.

Face it, the industry needs good competition to keep improving. If not only to change the way a vehicle is designed and offered, good competition is improving the ancient ways the domestic companies do business. Multi-national corporations aren't a wave of the future, but a necessity to do business on a playing field of big hitters (the foreign makes).

"Made in America" means much less today than ever from a corporate view. It may mean a great deal to the average Joe-blue collar; however, Joe doesn't have to make it work, he just has to show up for his job on time.

To each his own, but...

Dodge, basically I still don't trust their quality.  Their interiors, at least from a design standpoint, are god awful, IMO, and I just don't trust them, YET, as far as reliability either.  Some of the best-looking cars sold in the US?  Definitely.  But I don't think they're near the highest quality.

But Chrysler's not on this list? Or Jeep?

Toyota and Honda, I just choose not to spend my money on cars made by corporations ran by two-faced CEOs who think they can tell the customer what they want since they've built a solid rep.  Toyotas and Hondas are some of the best cars, quality and reliability wise, on the market, but I just can't bring myself to buy one, not a single car either of them make appeals to me in anyway.  I like Nissan because I have an affinity for the underdog, and Nissan actually builds APPEALING vehicles, design-wise.

But GM's okay? And Ford? All large corporations have plenty to hide. None of them are above reproach. I don't see why Toyota and Honda are singled out for bad CEOs. You said yourself that they make good products...so what are they being "two-faced" about?

The last 4 are kind of obvious.  There's just a stigma with Korean-made autos still, one I'd rather not be attached to.

I don't see what's obvious. Hyundai and Kia make good products and I see no stigma associated with owning them. And Isuzu and Suzuki are both JAPANESE, not Korean.

I guess I really should say never, as thats a strong word.  I just don't ever see myself purchasing any of them unless they fix what I mentioned above.

I'm glad you added this part...but I still don't see what problems they need to fix. Perhaps Dodge could raise the quality of their products, but they're far from the worst. And I've already addressed the rest of them.

I'd buy another Jeep or Chrysler product, based on 6 years of experience with my Grand Cherokee. Though I do think their interior quality has gone down since then..

I'd certainly check out GM and Ford products, though there are only a few from each that really appeal to me.

I'd buy another BMW based on my experience with the one I have now.

There are certain Audi, Acura, Lexus, Infiniti & VW models I'd consider...maybe Mazda.

I like Mercedes-Benzes, but all the horror stories about recent quality issues (and the overall maintainance expense) will probably keep me away.

Toyota, Hyundai, Suzuki, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Kia have nothing that really interests me currently.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

About us

CheersandGears.com - Founded 2001

We  Cars

Get in touch

Follow us

Recent tweets

facebook