Chrysler News: Rumorpile: Chrysler Could Do A 300 Hellcat, Dodge Charger and Challenger To Use Ghibli Platform

William Maley

If there is one thing that Fiat Chrysler Automobiles is consistent on, it is their ability to change their future plans on a whim and cause us to scratch our heads. Case in point, Automotive News has learned that FCA has ditched plans on moving the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger/Challenger to the Giorgio platform - what underpins the Alfa Romeo Giulia. Instead, all of the models will get will one more refresh in 2019 that will cut weight and boost fuel economy. There is also talk about the 300 getting the option of the Hellcat V8 because FCA thinks we don't have enough vehicles with it?!

In 2021, the Charger and Challenger will be (finally) redesigned. They'll be based on the platform the underpins the Maserati Ghibli. There is no mention about the 300 moving to this platform, possibly hinting that the 300 will be shown the door - something we reported on back in November.

Will there be any Chrysler or Dodge model that will use the Giorgio platform? Yes and that will be the next-generation Journey that is possibly arriving in 2019.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription Required), 2

View full article

This assumes that FCA makes it that long.

The LX platform, as a platform, is still quite good.  Sure, it's a bit heavier than the Avalon, but it's right around the same as any of the other full size cars give or take a few cases of water.  In V6 form, the cars get excellent fuel economy for their size/weight, and the Pentastar doesn't even use direct injection yet, though it was designed from the start to be able to get it. 

• Like 1

Very interesting, I can understand this as Idiot Sergio is just squeezing out the last of the profits he can steal and put in his own pocket before leaving the mess to the board and a new CEO to clean up. 

I would not believe that much of anything will get moved onto a new platform in the 2020's era as they are going to have to be forced to clean house, close some brands down to survive.

I do not think Chrysler as a nameplate will survive till 2025 let alone 2030. Next name to to history books IMHO. Minivan back to Dodge and then can or will anyone buy the Jeep/Ram/Dodge family from FCA or will FCA truly let them die?

I really hope someone kills off the money sucking Alfa, What a waste of billions.

There are people who already want a 300 Hellcat, so it is a no brainer.  I find it interesting as aI was reading a review of the midsize M6 Gran Coupe and that sucker was 4300 pounds and the AWD tester it was being pitted against was an Alpina and over 4700 pounds!  Weights are similar with the E Class.  The weight is currently easily inline with other RWD cars, even a size smaller.  I have no problem with them keeping the LX platform around.  It is proven, it dances with anything in it's size rane, and all of them look great.  The offer all the modern safety features ie lane keep assist and emergency braking/adaptive cruise control, and all the comforts such as high quality leather, 8.4 inch touch screens, heated and ventilated seats, etc, etc.   I love the fact that for 2200 you can get the 6 piston Brembos and the wider 275 tires on any 6.4 model, and for 18 the Challenger R/T offers the 4 piston Brembos with a bilstien performance suspension.  This should also be available on the Charger R/T as well and possibly the 300S (the 18 Challenger is the one you can price out on their website so far).  I also like that they are getting rid of the 5.0 uconnect for the new Uconnect 4 with the 7 inch screen as standard (Uconnect 4 with the 8.4 is still an option).  Not to mention standard Android Auto and Apple Carplay.  And the "aging" Challenger has outsold the Camaro so far this year and even outsold the Mustang last month.  The Charger and 300 make up the bestselling fullsizers, outselling the Lacrosse and Impala Combined.  They aren't as stupid as you think.  And please do not even try to say it is just rebates.  Checking here, on the Chevrolet webiste for example, their rebates are just as high, if not higher. 

• Like 1

Not moving to Giorgio means they want to kill these cars off or sell the band and not let the buyer get that platform.  No doubt they'll do a Hellcat 300 to milk in some sales at the end.  

To move the Charger to the Ghibli platform that is a car that came out in 2012 or 2013 in 2021 means it is 8 years old to start with.  You can tell FCA wants to get rid of Chrysler and Dodge.

2 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Not moving to Giorgio means they want to kill these cars off or sell the band and not let the buyer get that platform.  No doubt they'll do a Hellcat 300 to milk in some sales at the end.  

To move the Charger to the Ghibli platform that is a car that came out in 2012 or 2013 in 2021 means it is 8 years old to start with.  You can tell FCA wants to get rid of Chrysler and Dodge.

Do you even read?  They are moving to the Ghibli platform.  Probably cheaper and better suited for their larger sizes o be honest. 

3 hours ago, Stew said:

There are people who already want a 300 Hellcat, so it is a no brainer.  I find it interesting as aI was reading a review of the midsize M6 Gran Coupe and that sucker was 4300 pounds and the AWD tester it was being pitted against was an Alpina and over 4700 pounds!  Weights are similar with the E Class.  The weight is currently easily inline with other RWD cars, even a size smaller.  I have no problem with them keeping the LX platform around.  It is proven, it dances with anything in it's size rane, and all of them look great.  The offer all the modern safety features ie lane keep assist and emergency braking/adaptive cruise control, and all the comforts such as high quality leather, 8.4 inch touch screens, heated and ventilated seats, etc, etc.   I love the fact that for 2200 you can get the 6 piston Brembos and the wider 275 tires on any 6.4 model, and for 18 the Challenger R/T offers the 4 piston Brembos with a bilstien performance suspension.  This should also be available on the Charger R/T as well and possibly the 300S (the 18 Challenger is the one you can price out on their website so far).  I also like that they are getting rid of the 5.0 uconnect for the new Uconnect 4 with the 7 inch screen as standard (Uconnect 4 with the 8.4 is still an option).  Not to mention standard Android Auto and Apple Carplay.  And the "aging" Challenger has outsold the Camaro so far this year and even outsold the Mustang last month.  The Charger and 300 make up the bestselling fullsizers, outselling the Lacrosse and Impala Combined.  They aren't as stupid as you think.  And please do not even try to say it is just rebates.  Checking here, on the Chevrolet webiste for example, their rebates are just as high, if not higher. 

It’s rebates. Got a problem with that so much that you have to bring it up? Sounds like the truth bothers you regarding the rebate leader FCA (and again that is based on factual manufacturer data and not typical bait and switch dealer rebate ads). 

And before you even go there, I have made it known many times that I would take a Challenger over a Camaro or Mustang any day of the week so you please just hold on to that GM bias card for now. 

There is also rumor that the 300 will move to the Pacifica platform and be a front drive sedan.  Although I wonder if the 300 even survives, Pacifica sales should slide off by 2019, I can easily see them closing down the Chrysler brand.  That will make this mess easier to sell, which is the end goal by those in charge.

42 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

There is also rumor that the 300 will move to the Pacifica platform and be a front drive sedan.  Although I wonder if the 300 even survives, Pacifica sales should slide off by 2019, I can easily see them closing down the Chrysler brand.  That will make this mess easier to sell, which is the end goal by those in charge.

moving to pacifica is not an unsound idea, and it's a quick way to offer a plug-in hybrid in a full size mid-lux car as well as helping with Pacifica amortization. Might involve a rename, that's why we're not hearing of the 300 continuing.

Concorde anyone?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

It’s rebates. Got a problem with that so much that you have to bring it up? Sounds like the truth bothers you regarding the rebate leader FCA (and again that is based on factual manufacturer data and not typical bait and switch dealer rebate ads). 

And before you even go there, I have made it known many times that I would take a Challenger over a Camaro or Mustang any day of the week so you please just hold on to that GM bias card for now. 

Acptually my information comes from www.chevrolet.com and www.dodge.com.  GM is the same or higher discounts on comparable vehicles.  If you have a problem with that........

I would be completely fine with a base R/T with the new handling package, 8 speed auto, sound group, and sunroof.  Lots of standard features (ditching the puny 5.0 screen for the 7 incher makes a hue difference in the interior aesthetics of the base cars).  In destroyer grey or Granite [please. 

13 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

That's a good way to end up in a ditch.

Or worse.  Much more excited about the ecodiesel than I ever would be a hellcat in a Wrangler. 

Edited by Stew

39 minutes ago, Stew said:

Acptually my information comes from www.chevrolet.com and www.dodge.com.  GM is the same or higher discounts on comparable vehicles.  If you have a problem with that........

I would be completely fine with a base R/T with the new handling package, 8 speed auto, sound group, and sunroof.  Lots of standard features (ditching the puny 5.0 screen for the 7 incher makes a hue difference in the interior aesthetics of the base cars).  In destroyer grey or Granite [please. 

Or worse.  Much more excited about the ecodiesel than I ever would be a hellcat in a Wrangler. 

And my information came from an unbiased third party source for manufacturer discounts only and FCA was tops overall. Yours were dealer rebates, hence my point of distinction so if you have a problem with the unbiased facts....

12 hours ago, Drew Dowdell said:

moving to pacifica is not an unsound idea, and it's a quick way to offer a plug-in hybrid in a full size mid-lux car as well as helping with Pacifica amortization. Might involve a rename, that's why we're not hearing of the 300 continuing.

Concorde anyone?

Oh yeah, They will be lined up out the door to buy a Concorde.  I mean this was a car that even rental car agencies didn't want.  

The market doesn't need another near luxury brand or car even because all the mainstream cars are offering electronic everything, driver assist tech, leather, moonroof, heated steering wheel etc.

I don't see a place for Chrysler in the market, they have 2 products both of which are in sales decline.

6 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

And my information came from an unbiased third party source for manufacturer discounts only and FCA was tops overall. Yours were dealer rebates, hence my point of distinction so if you have a problem with the unbiased facts....

Nope, not dealer rebates.  These are manufacturer rebates factored in on the Chevrolet website, NOT the dealer website. 

4 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Oh yeah, They will be lined up out the door to buy a Concorde.  I mean this was a car that even rental car agencies didn't want.  

The market doesn't need another near luxury brand or car even because all the mainstream cars are offering electronic everything, driver assist tech, leather, moonroof, heated steering wheel etc.

I don't see a place for Chrysler in the market, they have 2 products both of which are in sales decline.

How is the Pacifica in a sales decline?  Actually how is the 300?  Both sales seem pretty steady. 

27 minutes ago, Stew said:

Nope, not dealer rebates.  These are manufacturer rebates factored in on the Chevrolet website, NOT the dealer website. 

How is the Pacifica in a sales decline?  Actually how is the 300?  Both sales seem pretty steady. 

Then post them for all to see. I posted mine a few weeks ago and you went into denial about it. Think about it. How is it that the Challenger, which again I love, goes from a perennial third place sales position for years to all of a sudden, a marked increase while offering only modest changes compared to the competition? Higher incentives and rebates. These are simply facts you cannot deny. 

@smk4565 @Stew @surreal1272 @ccap41 @oldshurst442

We all love auto's and especially all have brands we favor, I would like to suggest if you are going to POST saying a model or brand is in decline or rising, a rebate is dealer or manufacture, etc. Lets post along with our thoughts some actual facts, be it a screen shot from the dealers web site, the OEM web site, post a link to our own Sales section proving the decline or rise.

Enough of blow out from our butts!

I love ya all and enjoy the conversations but the vague statements really need to end. 

Not picking on anyone person but using this as an example.

SMK says Chrysler's lone two products 300 and Pacifica is in sales decline.

Proof:

August shows the following

300 down 23% to 4,073 units moved

Pacifica up 2% to 7621 units moved

July shows the following

300 up 31% at 3,090 units moved

Pacifica up 5% to 8288 units moved

June shows the following

300 up 47% to 5355 units moved

Pacifica up 59% to 12,399 units moved

These figures are what Bill posted in the sales section of the monthly sales figures per OEM.

So in this case the proof is for the most part Chrysler sales are up on these two models only. I did not bother with the other chrysler versions that are EOL.

Please post facts to back up your statements.

Thank you!

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dfelt said:

We all love auto's and especially all have brands we favor, I would like to suggest if you are going to POST saying a model or brand is in decline or rising, a rebate is dealer or manufacture, etc. Lets post along with our thoughts some actual facts, be it a screen shot from the dealers web site, the OEM web site, post a link to our own Sales section proving the decline or rise.

I love ya all and enjoy the conversations but the vague statements really need to end. 

Proof:

July shows the following

June shows the following

These figures are what Bill posted in the sales section of the monthly sales figures per OEM.

So in this case the proof is for the most part Chrysler sales are up on these two models only. I did not bother with the other chrysler versions that are EOL.

Thank you!

In my case, I posted the source weeks ago on another thread but you are very correct sir. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Proof:

July shows the following

June shows the following

Thank you!

giphy.gif

Ill just amp up my game a little bit more...

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

This car shoulda been introduced if not with the Dodge Hellcats...last year with the Grand Cherokee version.

Not to say that the 300 Hellcat wont be MY choice for 4 door version, because instantly...I want this car as bad as I want the Challenger Hellcat...

With a catch...

At least if Chrysler could make the 300 Hellcat in AWD form...from the Jeep, you know, to differentiate it from the Dodge Brothers...and a little closer for it being more upscale type deal...

• Agree 1

Chrysler sales as a brand are down 24% this year and mostly due to the 200 being gone but the 300 is down year to date.  Pacifica is still new, I imagine in 2019 the sales will decline from where they are now.

Minivan and Full size sedan are shrinking segments and those are the only 2 segments Chrysler is in.  Not a good business model

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dfelt said:

Proof:

July shows the following

June shows the following

Thank you!

Lol wtf did I say here about sales being up or down? 

@dfelt only tag relevant members. Hahaha

39 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

Chrysler sales as a brand are down 24% this year and mostly due to the 200 being gone but the 300 is down year to date.  Pacifica is still new, I imagine in 2019 the sales will decline from where they are now.

Minivan and Full size sedan are shrinking segments and those are the only 2 segments Chrysler is in.  Not a good business model

And quite honestly...a luxury muscle car that aint even a cop car like its Charger cousin aint exactly gonna reel them in.

There is a reason why the 300 SRT went away in the first place...

What a role reversal...when the LX cars were first introduced, 'twas the Bentley like 300 that was all the rage...and the wanna-be gangsta folk all went bananas for them...but when the cops started driving Chargers, twas the Charger that became cool..that would also be ironic as wanna-be gangsta folk advertised thuggery and criminality...and now the LX cop car that symbolizes the law is on top...

Edited by oldshurst442

12 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Chrysler's minivans always sell.  If anything holds back the Pacifica it is the bargain basement Grand Caravan still being offered.  The 300 is still selling well for a fullsize car and it completes a trifecta of 3 (Charger, 300, and Challenger) that go together to make production numbers what they need to be.  They are selling more than enough of each to make a good profit.

12 hours ago, ccap41 said:

Who knows.  There have been spy shots of the 300 running Widebody wheels and tires.   I do think it is interesting they have 2 crossovers coming for the Chrysler brand, I figured the brand would be killed off honestly. 

Straight from their respective websites. The Challenger cash allowance goes up to $2750 when you opt for the V8. The Camaro is the same across the board. Feel free to argue the very facts that you pointed out @Stew and explain why you were wrong to claim GMs incentives were higher when they are not.

D0F8ECDC-C246-4B75-8D6A-527FA7EB87A4.png

9F629156-C12F-4732-A297-E3A606116469.png

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, surreal1272 said:

Straight from their respective websites. The Challenger cash allowance goes up to $2750 when you opt for the V8. The Camaro is the same across the board. Feel free to argue the very facts that you pointed out @Stew and explain why you were wrong to claim GMs incentives were higher when they are not.

D0F8ECDC-C246-4B75-8D6A-527FA7EB87A4.png

9F629156-C12F-4732-A297-E3A606116469.png

You have actually proven MY point as I said "equal to or higher depending on model".   That is actually impressive on the Challengers part considering it has been out MUCH longer than the Camaro.  Realize also that there are different rebates and discounts depending on region.  Me putting in my zipcode on the website could bring up wildly different discounts than yours. 

How is that equal to or higher? FCA's is higher. 

2250 > 2000

Zipcode has already been discussed.. that's obviously regional marketing and that's why the original article @surreal1272 posted a couple weeks ago was the only logical comparison as it was manufacturer only across all vehicles. It wasn't a nit-picky regional marketing ploy. I could cherry pick almost any make's rebates at a certain time and location to win an argument if that was the case. Surreal's was a monthly average by the manufacturer themselves, no dealer added BS. 

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Stew said:

You have actually proven MY point as I said "equal to or higher depending on model".   That is actually impressive on the Challengers part considering it has been out MUCH longer than the Camaro.  Realize also that there are different rebates and discounts depending on region.  Me putting in my zipcode on the website could bring up wildly different discounts than yours. 

Buzz! Wrong answer. You clearly stated manufacturer numbers and they are not equal. Dodge is offering higher rebates and it’s age reflects that. Sorry but you wanted to go there about rebates and were wrong hence your excuses for it’s age. Your point was not proven at all. You said GMs were equal or higher. They are neither.

Oh and neither site asked for my zip code so you are wrong on that as well. 

Edited by surreal1272

Sorry, didn't look at the photos and I read your post as they were completely even.  Still,2k for a car on the market 2 year vs 2250 on one going on 10 years.  Says more bad about the Camaro anyway.  And what is with 20% off MSRP on Cruze, Malibu, and Trax?  2 of those have on 2 model years under them as well.  That is like minimum 4k off a Malibu and 3 grand of a Cruze tio 6 grand or more depending on model  And nearly 11 grand on some Silverados before you even haggle with the dealer?

image.thumb.png.f359967e38bb037ff4075ece154b5684.png

image.thumb.png.944868868f49170466581a2e574e18a8.png

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

@surreal1272 Do you still have that link? I have no clue what thread that was in. 

They link wouldn't even be accurate any longer.  Rebates are constantly changing.  I will say Chrysler 300 rebates are crazy and make them a hell of a deal/.  Priced out a Hemi 300S with basically every option for roughly 37k. 

There's also not much haggling on new cars anymore. Dealerships can't afford to mark them up all that much which is why the big rebates are typically manufacturer rebates. 

Just now, Stew said:

Still a huge chunk of cash on models completely redesigned only 2 years ago. 

Welcome to the auto market. Is this something new to you? 

2 minutes ago, Stew said:

Sorry, didn't look at the photos and I read your post as they were completely even.  Still,2k for a car on the market 2 year vs 2250 on one going on 10 years.  Says more bad about the Camaro anyway.  And what is with 20% off MSRP on Cruze, Malibu, and Trax?  2 of those have on 2 model years under them as well.  That is like minimum 4k off a Malibu and 3 grand of a Cruze tio 6 grand or more depending on model  And nearly 11 grand on some Silverados before you even haggle with the dealer?

They link wouldn't even be accurate any longer.  Rebates are constantly changing.  I will say Chrysler 300 rebates are crazy and make them a hell of a deal/.  Priced out a Hemi 300S with basically every option for roughly 37k. 

Oh stop it. You brought rebates and yes GM is offering them but on the average, FCA is clearing heir rebate hurdle by leaps and bounds. As far as my link, it doesn’t matter because you didn’t believe it then and even if I posted today’s numbers, you would still make excuses like you are doing right now. However, since you wanted to bring up regional deals, here’s one for you. 20% off of a new Charger SE. 

F652518C-81DF-41AF-AFAA-E47AD9D68173.png

• Like 1

Just now, ccap41 said:

There's also not much haggling on new cars anymore. Dealerships can't afford to mark them up all that much which is why the big rebates are typically manufacturer rebates. 

Welcome to the auto market. Is this something new to you? 

Nope, just proves they aren't immune, of course this is rebate season.......  And there is usually a grand or  considerably more depending on what you are purchasing.  

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

It was august's numbers. That's not that irrelevant at all. 

Just now, surreal1272 said:

Oh stop it. You brought rebates and yes GM is offering them but on the average, FCA is clearing heir rebate hurdle by leaps and bounds. As far as my link, it doesn’t matter because you didn’t believe it then and even if I posted today’s numbers, you would still make excuses like you are doing right now. However, since you wanted to bring up regional deals, here’s one for you. 20% off of a new Charger SE. 

F652518C-81DF-41AF-AFAA-E47AD9D68173.png

LOL, stooping to dealer websites?  try getting that car for that price.  Go to the dealer and try it.  When I was looking had a few dealers advertising crazy low prices like that only to find out either my region wasn't included or it including rebates that 99% of people aren't even eligible for. 

We were talking manufacturer rebates remember?  Oh, gotta change off of that because your argument was losing steam. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

Nope, just proves they aren't immune, of course this is rebate season.......  And there is usually a grand or  considerably more depending on what you are purchasing.  

Trucks have always had massive rebates and always will on specific trims. The High Countries and Platinums will make up for those 10-12k rebates on SLT and XLT trims. 

I don't know why you're just fighting facts. Surreal posted a very fair 3rd party research. 

1 minute ago, Stew said:

LOL, stooping to dealer websites?  try getting that car for that price.  Go to the dealer and try it.  When I was looking had a few dealers advertising crazy low prices like that only to find out either my region wasn't included or it including rebates that 99% of people aren't even eligible for. 

We were talking manufacturer rebates remember?  Oh, gotta change off of that because your argument was losing steam. 

Me stooping to dealer websites? You’re the one who brought up regional deals. Well, here you go. 

And my argument has plenty of steam. You made the claim that GM deals were equal or higher and you were proven wrong. 

Just now, ccap41 said:

Trucks have always had massive rebates and always will on specific trims. The High Countries and Platinums will make up for those 10-12k rebates on SLT and XLT trims. 

I don't know why you're just fighting facts. Surreal posted a very fair 3rd party research. 

Not fighting facts, I am showing actual manufacturer rebates.