September 2017: Toyota Motor North America Inc.

Toyota Motor North America Reports U.S. Sales for September, First Nine Months of 2017

• TMNA, Toyota and Lexus divisions set new September record for total volume
  • TMNA, Toyota and Lexus divisions set September light truck sales record
  • Toyota RAV4, Highlander post ninth consecutive monthly sales records
  • Lexus NX, GX, and RX post best-ever September

PLANO, Texas (October 3, 2017) – Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) Inc., today reported September 2017 sales of 226,632 units. With one more selling day in September 2017 compared to September 2016, sales were up 14.9 percent on a volume basis, and up 10.5 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis. 

For the first nine months of the year, TMNA reported sales of 1,831,479 units. With one more selling day in 2017 compared to 2016, total sales were up 0.1 percent on a DSR basis, and sales were up 0.5 percent on an unadjusted raw-volume basis.

Toyota division posted September 2017 sales of 200,436 units, up 16.9 percent on a volume basis, and up 12.4 percent on a DSR basis.   

“The auto industry showed renewed strength in September, bringing optimism for a third consecutive year with sales topping 17 million new vehicles,” said Jack Hollis, group vice president and general manager, Toyota division. “This month marked our first full-month of sales of the all-new 2018 Camry, outselling last year’s total with a double-digit gain in volume – a testament to the positive reception we are receiving on its bold new styling and TNGA-based performance. Toyota division light trucks continue to lead sales, with September marking a string of eight consecutive monthly sales records, and nine consecutive monthly best-ever sales records for Highlander and RAV4. In fact, RAV4, with more than 42,000 sales this month, marks three consecutive months of more than 40,000 units – an amazing feat!”

Lexus posted June sales of 26,196 units, up 1.5 percent on a volume basis, and down 2.4 percent on a DSR basis. 

“Lexus sales traditionally shift into high gear as we head toward the end of the year, and we are buoyed by three consecutive months of sales momentum as well as our best-ever September,” said Lexus Group Vice President and General Manager Jeff Bracken. “Going forward we have a strong supply of luxury utility vehicles to satisfy customers’ needs through the remainder of 2017.”

September 2017 and First Nine Months Highlights:

• Camry sales of 34,732 units, up 13.1 percent in first full month of sales of all-new 2018 model year
  • Total Toyota division SUV sales up 43.2 percent in September; pickup trucks up 15.8 percent
  • RAV4 gains 44 percent with 42,395 units sold; nine straight monthly sales records
  • Highlander posts sales of 20,359 units; first month to top 20,000 in 2017, and nine straight monthly sales records
  • 4Runner sales of 11,333 units, up 25.1 percent
  • Tacoma and Tundra September sales rise by 14.9 and 17.4 percent respectively
  • Lexus sees fifth consecutive monthly best-ever for LUVs
  • NX up 6.6 percent with September sales of 5,041, seventh consecutive best-ever monthly total
  • GX rises 53 percent; records back-to-back best-ever monthly totals
  • LX up 38.6 percent in September
  • RX sees six percent gain, sets new best-ever monthly total for September

*Note:  Unless otherwise stated, all figures reflect unadjusted raw sales volume

Toyota September 2017.jpg

Did the regular Yaris get canceled or something? 

It pains me to see that the C-HR sells so well compared to the Corolla IM.  The C-HR is less useful, it's ugly, has a rather spartan interior, and worst of all... it's a fake crossover.  With no AWD available, it's just a tall, ungainly hatchback.

• Agree 1

But it is a crossover therefor it sells.  Although 3,000 a month isn't much by Toyota standards.  42,000 RAV4 is nuts.  And the new Camry is up too.  Toyota is smart they make like 5 vehicles and sell a ton of them.

Venza is finally dead, amazed they can keep going with the Land Cruiser and Sequoia, but guess as long as they break even on cost, it is ok by the corp. heads. 

18 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Venza is finally dead, amazed they can keep going with the Land Cruiser and Sequoia, but guess as long as they break even on cost, it is ok by the corp. heads. 

Venza has been discontinued in 2015.  I am surprised it is even in the list.

Edited by ykX

1 hour ago, ykX said:

Venza has been discontinued in 2015.  I am surprised it is even in the list.

:roflmao: That is why I said it was finally dead, took them that long to sell the last of the new inefficient beasts. Must have been a big discount to get someone to buy it.

How on earth do they still make the Sequoia?  I feel like it hasn't been updated since 2005 and even more surprising is they got 900 people to buy one.  That is what I don't get about Toyota.  They have crazy money, probably more cash than any other auto maker, they are relentless with updates to the Camry and Rav4, then you have the Sequioa that was born on the same day as dirt and even the Tundra and Tacomoa should be more competitive than they are.  They can dominate in cars, but they can't upgrade the engines in their pickups, or put class leading interiors in there?

And how did they con 3,000 people into a Lexus GX?  That thing has a 301 hp 4.7 liter V8 or something like that, from a 2007 Tundra.  Do those 3,000 people now have a Mercedes or BMW dealer near them?

Edited by smk4565

51 minutes ago, smk4565 said:

How on earth do they still make the Sequoia?  I feel like it hasn't been updated since 2005 and even more surprising is they got 900 people to buy one.  That is what I don't get about Toyota.  They have crazy money, probably more cash than any other auto maker, they are relentless with updates to the Camry and Rav4, then you have the Sequioa that was born on the same day as dirt and even the Tundra and Tacomoa should be more competitive than they are.  They can dominate in cars, but they can't upgrade the engines in their pickups, or put class leading interiors in there?

And how did they con 3,000 people into a Lexus GX?  That thing has a 301 hp 4.7 liter V8 or something like that, from a 2007 Tundra.  Do those 3,000 people now have a Mercedes or BMW dealer near them?

Same question can be asked of why do they still make the outdated screw mismatched G-Wagon? Seems to be two peas in a pod.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, dfelt said:

Same question can be asked of why do they still make the outdated screw mismatched G-Wagon? Seems to be two peas in a pod.

Does anyone really notice those screws, though?   Seems like the G-wagon sells itself.. isn't an all-new one due soon, IIRC? 

30 minutes ago, Cubical-aka-Moltar said:

Does anyone really notice those screws, though?   Seems like the G-wagon sells itself.. isn't an all-new one due soon, IIRC? 

True, the badge snobs do not care about the quality as much as the badge on the hood. I have to wonder about an all new one and believe it will be more of a refresh for the 40th time.

11 hours ago, smk4565 said:

Well, they have cash because they're analysts probably saw that it wasn't worth the millions upon millions to update said Sequoia. Even if they updated it 100% to a brand new vehicle 5 years ago would that have tripled their sales to make it worth it? doubled? quadrupled? 

The Tacoma is still competitive with their "all new" in 2016(not so much with the Tundra). The Colorado does some things better and, if I'm not wrong, Toyota said they were working on updates to their Tacoma because of the recent competition with the Colorado and upcoming Ranger. 

10 hours ago, dfelt said:

Remind me some time to check the gf's. I'm curious if she has mismatching screws to go along with the sweet-ass cup holder and the hatch that doesn't have a light when you open it. I never would have thought that was something I'd consider in a vehicle but when putting sh!t in their at night and you open the hatch and there's no light..you notice real quick how annoying that is. 

52 minutes ago, dfelt said:

True, the badge snobs do not care about the quality as much as the badge on the hood. I have to wonder about an all new one and believe it will be more of a refresh for the 40th time.

In all fairness, nobody who isn't showing a car would care if they had mismatching screws. They still have a more solid build feel than anything from the US that I've been in. 

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

In all fairness, nobody who isn't showing a car would care if they had mismatching screws. They still have a more solid build feel than anything from the US that I've been in. 

I respect your thoughts on it, but I would put my 1994 GMC SLE Suburban and 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum up against a G-wagon any day. Both have been off road and have gone places I never see MB products especially the over rated G-Wagon.

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

I respect your thoughts on it, but I would put my 1994 GMC SLE Suburban and 2006 Escalade ESV Platinum up against a G-wagon any day. Both have been off road and have gone places I never see MB products especially the over rated G-Wagon.

LOL 90's GM quality? plastic much? 

The G would out due all of those off the beaten path with it's solid axles, locking front, rear, and "mid" diffs(locks front and rear together), low range transfer case, and then it's smaller than those too to fit into more places. 

Watch some videos on the ole YouTube of what a stock G Wagen can do. 

Show us what an Escalade can do. 

Edited by ccap41
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

LOL 90's GM quality? plastic much? 

The G would out due all of those off the beaten path with it's solid axles, locking front, rear, and "mid" diffs(locks front and rear together), low range transfer case, and then it's smaller than those too to fit into more places. 

Watch some videos on the ole YouTube of what a stock G Wagen can do. 

Show us what an Escalade can do. 

I get that you want to show what the G-Wagon can do via MB production videos, but the statement was of what it is used for and you can find off road American Iron regardless of your thoughts on their quality being used in real world use compared to the G-Class.

I know what my American Iron will do and I put my money where my mouth is. I am more confident in taking it off road than I would the MB Products.

Escalade off road

Seems no problem for the Russians to take them off roading also

private folks going off road

Plenty more online that is not done by GM but proves American Iron can go just about anywhere.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, dfelt said:

Because G-wagon sales were up 40% last month and up 11% year to date.  2017 will be the highest sales ever and there is an all new G-wagon next year.

lol that's not a MB production video. It literally has the company name at the beginning. Do you need more? There are a ton of videos of G Wagens off roading. Most will have aftermarket tires at least though. 

So show us what a first gen 'Slade can do off road. Let's see your money in that mouth, sir. Take that 'Slade through more than a dusty trail. 

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

That's funny.  Neither of those GM have 3 locking differentials, nor do they have the approach or departure angles or ground clearance or torque of a G-wagon.  I wouldn't bet on any stock vehicle against a G-wagon, and the Range Rover or Wrangler would keep up with it until they broke.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Escalade off road

Seems no problem for the Russians to take them off roading also

private folks going off road

Plenty more online that is not done by GM but proves American Iron can go just about anywhere.

1st video: You must not have watched because that didn't highlight anything about going off road. 7 inch ground clearance, massive wheels... 

2nd video: It's nice it can go through some water but maybe make the vehicle water tight? 

3rd video: 1: did some thing that the G could(go down a hill and wade though water) but slower. 2: gets stuck on a muddy path LOL (I can only wonder why they didn't show them getting out of there... :scratchchin:)

Just now, smk4565 said:

That's funny.  Neither of those GM have 3 locking differentials, nor do they have the approach or departure angles or ground clearance or torque of a G-wagon.  I wouldn't bet on any stock vehicle against a G-wagon, and the Range Rover or Wrangler would keep up with it until they broke.

Exactly. 

The Wrangler is the only thing that will beat it off road that isn't a Rover. Okay, that's probably not accurate anymore as there are Power Wagons, ZR2s, TRDs all out now that weren't at one point. 

No matter what fans of either SUV will like what they have and enjoy using them. Everywhere I have gone in my Escalade I have gotten there and back including to Hearts pass a solid 4x4 trail in Washington State that takes you from ocean level to 7500 feet of switch back trails that have dug outs for allowing autos to pass each other and some steep approach and departure angles.

Yes G-Wagon has more approach and departure angles and I could do that in an Escalade if I raised it up to the same level the G-Wagon is sitting at. Yet the core market is for luxury ride. Just cause the focus on what they sell does not mean it does not get used off road. Same with the G-Wagon, both mostly sold to people wanting a label or look and rarely used off road.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Generation 1 Escalade off road, not bad for a stock SUV.

Plenty of Gen 2 off roading videos too

Jesus, I don't think you're even watching those videos. The first one(I watched earlier in preparation for this) and he walks ahead of an area because the Escalde couldn't make it though. If you saw it, any off road vehicle could make it around that bend and down the hill. 

The second video is the most impressive one you've posted and who would have thought... it was a modified one. Look at that ride height. And because it doesn't have lockers, it almost gets stuck. Something the G(or Wrangler) would do in its sleep.

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

No matter what fans of either SUV will like what they have and enjoy using them. Everywhere I have gone in my Escalade I have gotten there and back including to Hearts pass a solid 4x4 trail in Washington State that takes you from ocean level to 7500 feet of switch back trails that have dug outs for allowing autos to pass each other and some steep approach and departure angles.

Yes G-Wagon has more approach and departure angles and I could do that in an Escalade if I raised it up to the same level the G-Wagon is sitting at. Yet the core market is for luxury ride. Just cause the focus on what they sell does not mean it does not get used off road. Same with the G-Wagon, both mostly sold to people wanting a label or look and rarely used off road.

Must not have too steep of approach and break-over angles as your vehicle is 80ft long. 

Way to move the goal post there, brother. 

This started as a:

2 hours ago, dfelt said:

Both have been off road and have gone places I never see MB products especially the over rated G-Wagon.

and now it becomes a value debate? It isn't a monster off-road because the people who buy them? 

Why do people buy Escalade...hmmm.. label and prestige that rarely go off road, just like a G? But the G is based off of and has real of road capabilities the Escalade doesn't and never will because there's no point in that. Was the Escalade ever a military vehicle? Has the US military bought any in the past? 

"Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen, Austria. ... The G-Class vehicle is now regularly used by more than 63 armies worldwide and this includes the German Armed Forces, Canadian Army and also the US Marine Corps.Mercedes has actually guaranteed production of the standard G-Class for use as NATO support vehicles up until 2025."

Their sh!t is built for off-roading. 

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, ccap41 said:

Jesus, I don't think you're even watching those videos. The first one(I watched earlier in preparation for this) and he walks ahead of an area because the Escalde couldn't make it though. If you saw it, any off road vehicle could make it around that bend and down the hill. 

The second video is the most impressive one you've posted and who would have thought... it was a modified one. Look at that ride height. And because it doesn't have lockers, it almost gets stuck. Something the G(or Wrangler) would do in its sleep.

Yes, I watched it and no there is nothing wrong with checking out where you are going first and deciding if you want to go there or not. I am more bold in that I have taken my Escalade in places many would not, but I also do take the time to look at the approach or departure angles to keep from damaging my rides.

Yes the G-Wagon has lockers, but does that keep people form taking what they do have off road? No and that is the point of our discussion, just cause I do not have lockers does not mean I cannot go places and use my head to figure out a way to get there and back. Some people truly do not know how to drive or are willing to attempt something. 

I am not one of those and while I do not record my off road adventures, many seem to think that no one takes an Escalade off road. These videos just show that they do no matter the competition. Luxury off road does happen.

1 minute ago, dfelt said:

Yes, I watched it and no there is nothing wrong with checking out where you are going first and deciding if you want to go there or not.

Correct, as it should be done. But his 'Slade could not go there, where any of road vehicle could go. 

2 minutes ago, dfelt said:

Yes the G-Wagon has lockers, but does that keep people form taking what they do have off road? No and that is the point of our discussion, just cause I do not have lockers does not mean I cannot go places and use my head to figure out a way to get there and back. Some people truly do not know how to drive or are willing to attempt something. 

As with any comparisons you have to put the driver skill at an equal level otherwise it's a pointless argument as I could say "Yeah well with X driver I could go places in my Escape that Y driver couldn't in a Wrangler". So, back to where we were, equal driver skill and the G owns it off road. This should be a no-brainer. 

5 minutes ago, dfelt said:

I am not one of those and while I do not record my off road adventures, many seem to think that no one takes an Escalade off road.

You literally said that you'd put your money where your mouth is. I can swap our words with your literal own words in saying that nobody takes G Wagens off road. 

Yes, there are always going to be stupid people taking their pavement queens off road, as you've shown examples of. TFL has videos of them with an Escape like mine as well.. doesn't make it off road worthy. 

The earlier Escalades were likely more capable than the later ones as they were more closely related to the Tahoe and such.   The recent one is much more of a soft-roader unless you start making modifications via wheels and removing air-dams and such. 

Hey there, we noticed you're using an ad-blocker. We're a small site that is supported by ads or subscriptions. We rely on these to pay for server costs and vehicle reviews.  Please consider whitelisting us in your ad-blocker, or if you really like what you see, you can pick up one of our subscriptions for just $1.75 a month or $15 a year. It may not seem like a lot, but it goes a long way to help support real, honest content, that isn't generated by an AI bot.

See you out there.

Drew
Editor-in-Chief

Write what you are looking for and press enter or click the search icon to begin your search

Change privacy settings