Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Buick News: Buick To Play A Key Role In GM's Electrification Plans

William Maley

Last month, General Motors announced an ambitious plan to launch 20 electric and hydrogen vehicles by 2023 with all of their brands playing a role. But Buick could be playing a prominent role in this plan.

Duncan Aldred, vice president of sales and marketing at Buick-GMC tells Wards Auto that Buick will play a "huge part” in the coming years when it comes to EVs.

“We will have multiple entries in a fairly short period of time. We’re GM’s biggest brand in the world’s biggest market. You’ll see a number of different technologies to go toward (our) zero-emissions objective,” said Aldred.

That biggest market Aldred is referring to is China. In 2019, the country will require 10 percent of an automaker’s sales to be made up of low and zero-emission models. This rises to 12 percent in 2020. 

“A lot of the electrification adoption will be driven by legislation.”

Already, Buick sells a hybrid version of the LaCrosse and rebadged Chevrolet Volt as the Velite5 in China. Rumor has it that Buick is working on an electric crossover using the Chevrolet Bolt as a base.

Aldred wouldn't go into what Buick's plan entails, only saying that will not only be electric vehicles.

Source: Wards Auto

View full article

China and Cadillac are no-brainers for increasing EV offerings.  They have the biggest potential in China where it will be legislated and they can charge a premium for them here in the US.

If Buick wants a good play-book for the US, they really need to look at Volvo. 

• Agree 1

I tend to think EV's would have more appeal to younger buyers rather than older buyers.  So why would Buick, the poster brand for the social security crowd get the EV push?

I get that Buick has volume in China, but I wonder if that hurts Chevy and Cadillac who don't have that much volume in China, yet are GM's 2 most important brands.  That is where the EV push needs to start.

On 11/3/2017 at 9:42 PM, Drew Dowdell said:

Clearly they're aiming for Chinese volume. Buicks average buyer age in the US has been falling for years. Cadillac will get EVs also.

Average buyer age:

Buick 59

Bentley 56

Cadillac 52

Mercedes 51

BMW 50

Land Rover 45

Millenials are buying cars so a lowering tide drops all boats so to speak.  Buick is still pushing a higher than average buyer age.

6 hours ago, ocnblu said:

Shame.  That average age was 42 before Drew bought his Encore.  Now look what he's done.  :smilewide:

I still have another year to go before I join the big 4-oh thank you very much... and I still get mistaken for younger, especially by youngins who don't know any better.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2017 at 3:43 AM, ocnblu said:

Shame.  That average age was 42 before Drew bought his Encore.  Now look what he's done.  :smilewide:

You should see what it has done to the average IQ....

On 11/5/2017 at 10:16 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I still have another year to go before I join the big 4-oh thank you very much... and I still get mistaken for younger, especially by youngins who don't know any better.

It goes quick after the big 4-0...

On 11/3/2017 at 9:01 PM, smk4565 said:

I tend to think EV's would have more appeal to younger buyers rather than older buyers.  So why would Buick, the poster brand for the social security crowd get the EV push?

I get that Buick has volume in China, but I wonder if that hurts Chevy and Cadillac who don't have that much volume in China, yet are GM's 2 most important brands.  That is where the EV push needs to start.

sarcasm-quotes-01.thumb.jpg.0c42df7dc8585574e23c5195c69bec84.jpg

• Haha 2

On 11/5/2017 at 7:16 AM, Drew Dowdell said:

I turn 50 this year, Nov 27th. :P Still feel in my 30's :D 

1 hour ago, dfelt said:

I turn 50 this year, Nov 27th. :P Still feel in my 30's :D 

I'll be 50 in less than 3 years...I've been feeling my age the last few months, after decades living without stairs, having a split level is giving my knees and ankles a work out, along w/ the cross country move experience.   Working from home has it's advantages and disadvantages.. trying to take more walks and walk the dogs to get some exercise, along w/ weekly deep tissue massages, chiro visits, etc. 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

I was 25 when I joined... 

And you're still a young Pup! :P 

1 hour ago, Drew Dowdell said:

Given what the day is tomorrow, I'll let the age joke continue till the 8th... and then...

:banned:

Early HAPPY BIRTHDAY Drew!!! :metal:

:sign0072: :sign0072: :sign0072: